BEST Pens game you attended?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:50 pm

PenguinSteve-o wrote:2. I think Crosbys first home game and first goal? It was like 8 to 7 against the Bruins? and my voice and hands hurt so bad from clapping.

1. When the Pens were facing elimination from the playoffs against buffalo at home 4 years ago game 6? and Kovy flipped up a puck from right in front of us to land in front of their goaltender and i think Mario kept hacking at it until it went in. Then the pens won in over time and went on to win game 7 and play the devils in the next round. I think thats right, thats when i started to be a die hard fan. The crowd was so intense during the game and during intermission and after the game. not to mention how many people i hugged/high fived after the pens scored to tie/win the game in my section.

Yep...That was Game 6...which led to Kaspar pwning Hasek.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ladyjedi on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:50 pm

Oh boy... well, my first game ever is top in the list. It was a Penguins vs Whalers game where Mario and Jagr both hit the 50 or 60 goal mark and went back and forth all game. It was the defining moment in my hockey followings... I was hooked since that game. You really do fall in love with the sport when you see it in person.

And by default, I have to say the game when we won the Eastern Conference finals has to be the best. It was just... wow. I'll never forget that game and the atmosphere in the Mellon.
ladyjedi

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:52 pm

I will also throw Mario's 600th goal vs. Vancouver on my list. That was magical.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ladyjedi on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:58 pm

Arg, yea, that has to go on my list too. Thanks for making my decision more difficult, Kovy. You just had to help my indecisiveness. :)
ladyjedi

Postby jkorber75 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:04 pm

April 7, 1993 vs the canadiens. pens received the president's trophy pre-game. tocchet had a hat trick. ulf got the overtime winner and they tied the record for most consecutive wins.
jkorber75
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:17 pm

singing "na, na, na, good bye to the flyers awesome. geno's basketweaving goal?
game 3 of the finals , sensory overload, the arena, players, and fans ~ non stop noise.

game 6 in 99~ jaromir's 2 goals against the #1 seeded devils.

random non play-off game, 2/1/07 against the habs.
sid's 100 points in 06.

Any game that doesn't end with the opponent skating with the cup I'm happy.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeanPronovost on Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:45 pm

I am going to give three:

--12-26-69, Pens 3, Rangers 2 at MSG, the first time I saw them win after a lot of beatings at the hands of the Rangers. I remember Ron Schock skating in circles, killing time in the last minute -- it was an incredible feeling.

--1-13-96, Sharks 10, Pens 8 at Pittsburgh, what a ridiculous game.

--1-26-07, Pens 4, Stars 3 in Dallas -- Christensen with the shootout winner to cap All-Star week in Dallas.
JeanPronovost
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PensFanBryan on Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:46 pm

February 18, 2003
Edmonton Oilers at Pittsburgh Penguins
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=230218016

This has always been my favorite. It was probably my 3rd or 4th time ive ever been to a game. My brother & I went down and did Student Rush (that was when you could get 2 tickets per ID). We got 2 seats in Section A30 and it was also Johan Hedberg Bobblehead giveaway. I will always remember the Mario Lemieux OT goal.

Notice that the PP unit that night was Mario Lemieux, Rico Fata, Mikael Samuelsson, Dick Tarnstrom, and Shawn Heins.
PensFanBryan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:45 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nizzy on Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:17 pm

December 13th 2006.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06348/746085-61.stm

Penguins beat the Flyers 8-4. Crosby has a 6 point night to take over the Scoring Lead for the first time in his career. Staal scores the 8th goal on some nice moves by himself with 7 seconds left.

I also got to do Human Bowling!

I student rushed it, before the penguins started to sell out in late 06. Only game that might top this for me would be to see a Cup-Finals game.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensBeerGeek on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:12 pm

The night of the famous 7 minute power play against the Flyers, when Denis Gauthier turtled up against Andre Roy.

The entire building was on their feet, screaming their heads off the entire time. In 7 minutes, the Cryers got 2 shots and one scoring opportunity. I know players say the fans help the team out, but it was one of the few times when that didn't feel like it was a cliche.

Another Flyers game...the 06-07 opener. The re-retiring of Lemieux's number was a lot lower key than I was expecting, but Marc-Andre Fleury more than made up for it with his 40-save shutout.
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkin0017 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:39 pm

The clincher to go to the Stanley Cup vs Philly when we whooped them 6-0 or Game 5 vs Detroit watching the game at Mellon Arena.
Malkin0017
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:11 pm

Haven't been to any playoff games or such, but my 2 favorites would be:

Day before Easter in '06 vs Devils. Sid scored 42 seconds in enroute to a 6-3 win where Marty Brodeur was chased form the net, both Sid and Colby netted 2 goals, and Malone got a shorty.

Other would be last regular season game of 07 vs. Rangers. The game itself wasn't spectacular or anything, but the crowd was so fired up and loud as hell. They flashed on the scoreboard that Sid was the scoring champ and the entire arena stood and started chanting MVP... was pretty cool.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sams_Dog on Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:39 pm

I'd have to say that my favorite is still Game 5 of the 1991 Finals against Minnesota. That was the last home game for that team and it was a critical game in the series. The Pens PP was great, Mario scored a highlight backhand-to-forehand from behind the net and it was close at the end.

Second would have to be the 4-7-93 game that someone else brought up. Big game, great team, historical win.

Also saw the Pens beat the Rangers at MSG in 2000. That was sweet.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby duke66 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:55 pm

...it's fairly easy for me, game #5 in detroit, however a couple more stand out as well...

- the winter classic (for the spectacle and the great ending)
- jagr's first game back as a crapital (for obvious reasons)
- pens third period comeback vs the blues during mario's comeback year (the arena went insane in the third period)
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:18 pm

Game 3 @ msg in this years playoffs. Hossa scored like 1:30 into the game and our lives were threatened multiple times

Game 2 @ Ottawa last year in the playoffs winning 3-2

i can't remember what year it was, but against washington in one of the cup runs coming back from a 3 games to 1 deficit.

crosby's game against the isles his rookie year that he got his 100th point

i had tickets to game 5 in detroit and sold them :( but i made $1200 profit

home wins are great...but nothing is better than winning a big game in an away building and being one of the few happy people walking out
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Shyster on Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:19 pm

Nizzy wrote:December 13th 2006.
Penguins beat the Flyers 8-4. Crosby has a 6 point night to take over the Scoring Lead for the first time in his career. Staal scores the 8th goal on some nice moves by himself with 7 seconds left.

My pick too. Not a meaningful game, but that one was just plain fun, and the arena was rocking from start to finish. It was also the only game I've been to where both starting goaltenders left the ice and then later returned. Fleury needed skate repairs. Philly's replacement/return was hilarious. They were getting shelled and pulled Niittymaki to get a "free" timeout, putting in injury-callup bench-warmer Martin Houle (his only 2 minutes in the NHL to date). They tried to pull him and put Niittymaki back in after the next stoppage, but the Flyers had iced the puck and that means no goaltender substitutions either, so Houle had to stay. Recchi scored off the next faceoff, and then they put Niittymaki back in.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel87 on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:13 pm

From the time I was around the age of 5 I would go to 1 or 2 games a year. To this day when I tell non-family members this they have a hard time believing me, but it's true...

The first 10-12 games I went to the Pens lost (well there were a few ties, but no wins). My family always accused me of being a jinx or being cursed. It got to the point where they almost didn't want to take me anymore because they new they'd be seeing a loser. Well it was my 13th birthday and I got tickets to go with my dad right on the glass for a Devils game. I remember saying that this was it, they are finally going to win this one. They lost 9-0. Madden and Randy Mckay each had 4 goals. I was fed up and told my parents that I wanted to go again and was determined to watch a victory. Shortly after that I had heard that Lemieux was making a comeback. I was bugging them so much to get me tickets for his return and they kept refusing. I was so mad and couldn't understand why they wouldn't let me go again. Here apparently they wanted to surprise me on Christmas that they has gotten tickets to his comeback. I was thrilled and obviously they won for the first time. Ever since then I've been going to more and more games a year and they have won probably 3/4s of the games Ive attended. So as far as I'm concerned, Mario broke my curse.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel87 on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:25 pm

Kovy27 wrote:I will also throw Mario's 600th goal vs. Vancouver on my list. That was magical.

I also have a story about that game. My dad got 2 tickets each for about 5 games from a friend. He had been giving the extra ticket to family members and friends throughout the games. I had gone with him to 1 of the games already. It came up to the 600th goal game and naturally I wanted to go again to see it. But somehow, someway my brother got to go with him. My brother despises sports of all kinds. I was only 9 or 10 at the time and I remember just being so angry when he got the empty netter. So I waited up to hear what my brother had to say about the game. He said well the nachos were good, but I didn't understand why everyone went so crazy when he scored that goal.

That still iritates me to this day. :twisted:
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby blackjack68 on Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:02 pm

Only been to about 15 games in person but two stick out in my mind.

1) The game where Kasper knocked Lindros onto Queer Street. I was behind the south side goal and noticed Lindros couldn't get up and eventually I saw the ambulance back down the ramp to load him up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W61W4NZi ... re=related

2) Game #1 vs. the Rags this year's in the playoffs coming back from 3-0 to win. The crowd was insane!!!!
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mumbobob on Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:44 am

It's a toss up:

Dec 27, 2000 vs. Toronto
My dad got me my yearly Christmas gift of seats right behind the Penguins bench. Only that year he got lucky and randomly picked Lemieux's comeback game. Just unbelievable. Lemieux was about 25' in front of my face at the bench saluting the crowd.

Game 4 2008 Stanley Cup Finals
I got two seats for a mild ton of cash and took my best friend as his wedding present. He was getting married 2 weeks later. We didn't win, but he was the guy who got me to start playing and watching hockey, so it was the perfect thing for us to do together, with our favorite team in the cup finals.
mumbobob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:25 am

Pens vs Caps....4OT

Can't beat being in attendance for one of the top 10 Pens games of all time...
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wendellyoung on Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:18 pm

My best Pens game was actually a 3-2 loss, in 1986-87 I believe. It was great because I came home from work one night and my wife surprised me with Pens tix, airline tix and a reservation at the Hilton for our first-ever visit to the 'Burgh.

And without really knowing what she was doing she picked a game vs. Edmonton - it was Gretzky and Company in their prime and they were awesome to watch in person! They were just so much better than the Pens, but goals by Duguay and Young (off a perfect Mario feed of course) kept it close and exciting. And we saw them beat the North Stars the next night (big game by Chabot if memory serves) so we didn't go home empty-handed.
wendellyoung

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins