Does Pesonen really have a shot at making this team?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Will Janne Pesonen make the team out of camp?

Yes
83
85%
No
15
15%
 
Total votes : 98

Postby duke66 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:00 pm

...of course he does...u never know if a guy will explode during training camp...
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,411
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: The Promised Land - @dukewall66

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:36 pm

Scott wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:Most likely he will start in the AHL and fill in when someone gets hurt.


I don't agree.

I think it is all or nothign with him.

3rd line or higher with the BIG Pens or he goes back home.

Too talented to sit in the AHL he will just go back home and shine!


Ok so once again I ask, who is he going to bump off of the top 3 lines?

Crsoby, Malkin, Staal, Sykora, Satan, Fedotenko, Cooke, Dupuis, or Talbot?

I seriously doubt he will prove to be better than any of those guys, but if he can bump Talbot to the 4th line then the more the merrier. You could then have Talbot/Kennedy/Godard on the 4th line. There are worse problems to have.

And why does it have to be "all or nothing"? Why wouldn't he bide his time to learn the NA game in the AHL? Makes perfect sense for both parties.

Don't be surprised if a young guy like a Salmonson or a Isakov makes more of an impression in camp than Pessonan does. Providing of course they are even NHL eligible this season.
PenguinHockeyFanatic
 

Postby mikey287 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:00 am

Maybe I'm out in left field based on other training camps that I have forgotten, but I'd be surprised if Isakov or Salomonsson are in camp...

Maybe you have and I haven't, but I haven't seen Isakov play before...not because I don't like European hockey, but because he has not been able to cut it in Russia's top league for the last 3 or 4 years...he's been between Russia's second tier league (which I believe is called the Vysshaya Liga) and Russia's third tier league (starts with a 'p' reminds me of the word 'pariah' but I forget exactly what it is)...you scoff at Pesonen being a dominant player in Finland's top league, a top 4 or 5 league in the world, but are anticipating a big impact from a player that is struggling to remain in Russia's second-tier league (likely not a top 10 or 15 league in the world)...?

So, for someone that was so adamant against Pesonen making the team, against the skill that he possesses, against the league that he was in...to say that Evgeni Isakov, a player that we may or may not even have the rights to anymore, is going to come in from Russia's "minor leagues" and impress is not only a contradiction but also a guess at very best I feel...

Johannes Salmonsson, another player we may have lost the rights to, is someone in spent last season in Sweden's second tier league (Allsvenskan), but I believe (André?) his club, Rogle BK, was just promoted to the Elitserien...so, the odds of him leaving the team now after helping them to the top is unlikely...also, I believe the international transfer window is closing shortly (August 31?)...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,320
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Postby Noise on Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:35 am

The topic question and the question in the poll are different. I say no to one and yes to the other.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,439
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:35 am

Postby duke66 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:42 am

Noise wrote:The topic question and the question in the poll are different. I say no to one and yes to the other.


...ya i just noticed that too!...
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,411
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: The Promised Land - @dukewall66

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:59 pm

mikey287 wrote:Maybe I'm out in left field based on other training camps that I have forgotten, but I'd be surprised if Isakov or Salomonsson are in camp...

Maybe you have and I haven't, but I haven't seen Isakov play before...not because I don't like European hockey, but because he has not been able to cut it in Russia's top league for the last 3 or 4 years...he's been between Russia's second tier league (which I believe is called the Vysshaya Liga) and Russia's third tier league (starts with a 'p' reminds me of the word 'pariah' but I forget exactly what it is)...you scoff at Pesonen being a dominant player in Finland's top league, a top 4 or 5 league in the world, but are anticipating a big impact from a player that is struggling to remain in Russia's second-tier league (likely not a top 10 or 15 league in the world)...?

So, for someone that was so adamant against Pesonen making the team, against the skill that he possesses, against the league that he was in...to say that Evgeni Isakov, a player that we may or may not even have the rights to anymore, is going to come in from Russia's "minor leagues" and impress is not only a contradiction but also a guess at very best I feel...

Johannes Salmonsson, another player we may have lost the rights to, is someone in spent last season in Sweden's second tier league (Allsvenskan), but I believe (André?) his club, Rogle BK, was just promoted to the Elitserien...so, the odds of him leaving the team now after helping them to the top is unlikely...also, I believe the international transfer window is closing shortly (August 31?)...


Adamant about him not making the team? All I did was politely ask WHO he will bump for his "rightful" place on the top 3 lines. And I get 3 paragraphs about everything but a direct awnser. And yeah I don't know if those kids will even be in camp this fall.
PenguinHockeyFanatic
 

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:11 pm

PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
Adamant about him not making the team? All I did was politely ask WHO he will bump for his "rightful" place on the top 3 lines. And I get 3 paragraphs about everything but a direct awnser. And yeah I don't know if those kids will even be in camp this fall.


I think he's more of a proven scorer than godard...
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,809
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:20 pm
Location: Dallas

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:14 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
Adamant about him not making the team? All I did was politely ask WHO he will bump for his "rightful" place on the top 3 lines. And I get 3 paragraphs about everything but a direct awnser. And yeah I don't know if those kids will even be in camp this fall.


I think he's more of a proven scorer than godard...


And what line do you think Godard will play on, when he isn't being scratched?
PenguinHockeyFanatic
 

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:22 pm

PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
Adamant about him not making the team? All I did was politely ask WHO he will bump for his "rightful" place on the top 3 lines. And I get 3 paragraphs about everything but a direct awnser. And yeah I don't know if those kids will even be in camp this fall.


I think he's more of a proven scorer than godard...


And what line do you think Godard will play on, when he isn't being scratched?


Twas sarcasm bro. I'm telling you he can make the team (that's the poll question). Stop thinking there's no shot for him.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,809
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:20 pm
Location: Dallas

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:01 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
Adamant about him not making the team? All I did was politely ask WHO he will bump for his "rightful" place on the top 3 lines. And I get 3 paragraphs about everything but a direct awnser. And yeah I don't know if those kids will even be in camp this fall.


I think he's more of a proven scorer than godard...


And what line do you think Godard will play on, when he isn't being scratched?


Twas sarcasm bro. I'm telling you he can make the team (that's the poll question). Stop thinking there's no shot for him.


Oh contraire mon fere! I've stated 4th line or AHL call up later on from the get go. But around here that's like saying Lemieux should have never made it too the NHL. And all based on some crappy "highlight" video from some 3rd tier pro league. How very snarky.
PenguinHockeyFanatic
 

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:04 pm

People laugh at you when you say AHL because they don't believe there even the slightest chance that he won't return to Europe rather than go to the AHL, not because they don't think there is the possibility that he doesn't make the NHL team. Its really obvious that this is what they think too.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,369
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:16 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:People laugh at you when you say AHL because they don't believe there even the slightest chance that he won't return to Europe rather than go to the AHL, not because they don't think there is the possibility that he doesn't make the NHL team. Its really obvious that this is what they think too.


What do you think? Are you laughing at me or are you logical enough to figure out that his deal is a TWO-way deal for a very, very good reason. That reason being that there is a substantially HIGH chance of him not being NHL material. People assume that the leading scorer in the FHL are going to get 20 in the NHL, that simply is not how it works. But a good way to get into the NHL is to learn North American hockey in the AHL, understand the system, and then move in to the NHL. That could be only a month into the season, or 4 months, it's up to him and the injury situations.

If he goes home and scoffs at the AHL like he is some big deal that only mneans that he knows he isn't man enough to play in a real league.
PenguinHockeyFanatic
 

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:34 pm

PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:Are you laughing at me?


Always
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,809
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:20 pm
Location: Dallas

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:39 pm

PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
Adamant about him not making the team? All I did was politely ask WHO he will bump for his "rightful" place on the top 3 lines. And I get 3 paragraphs about everything but a direct awnser. And yeah I don't know if those kids will even be in camp this fall.


I think he's more of a proven scorer than godard...


And what line do you think Godard will play on, when he isn't being scratched?


Twas sarcasm bro. I'm telling you he can make the team (that's the poll question). Stop thinking there's no shot for him.


Oh contraire mon fere! I've stated 4th line or AHL call up later on from the get go. But around here that's like saying Lemieux should have never made it too the NHL. And all based on some crappy "highlight" video from some 3rd tier pro league. How very snarky.


Because some third liner will have to be plugged into a top six role such as dupuis, I feel that pez has a shot at the third line with a good camp and could even beat out TK if he shows a strong work ethic. cooke, pez, talbot is a sick third line assuming staal plays top six. Fast with a scoring touch. Pretty much fedko, pez, talbot, dupuis, cooke can be interchangeable and rotate through a strong 3-4 line while one plays up. No point in saying he's not talented cause he obviously is, it depends on his work ethic at this point and how fast he can figure out the NHL system.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,809
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:20 pm
Location: Dallas

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:02 pm

tombarrassorules wrote:i dont think shero would make it a point to reel this guy in from the hot seat in finland to let him sit in the AHL the entire season. he may not play 82 games but he'll play more than 50. if you dont think this guy can play 8 minutes a game at least, and be as good if not better than a guy like filewich, you gotta be outta your mind.


No one is saying that, he can be better than Filewich and not even make the NHL roster.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,369
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:05 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
Adamant about him not making the team? All I did was politely ask WHO he will bump for his "rightful" place on the top 3 lines. And I get 3 paragraphs about everything but a direct awnser. And yeah I don't know if those kids will even be in camp this fall.


I think he's more of a proven scorer than godard...


And what line do you think Godard will play on, when he isn't being scratched?


Twas sarcasm bro. I'm telling you he can make the team (that's the poll question). Stop thinking there's no shot for him.


Oh contraire mon fere! I've stated 4th line or AHL call up later on from the get go. But around here that's like saying Lemieux should have never made it too the NHL. And all based on some crappy "highlight" video from some 3rd tier pro league. How very snarky.


Because some third liner will have to be plugged into a top six role such as dupuis, I feel that pez has a shot at the third line with a good camp and could even beat out TK if he shows a strong work ethic. cooke, pez, talbot is a sick third line assuming staal plays top six. Fast with a scoring touch. Pretty much fedko, pez, talbot, dupuis, cooke can be interchangeable and rotate through a strong 3-4 line while one plays up. No point in saying he's not talented cause he obviously is, it depends on his work ethic at this point and how fast he can figure out the NHL system.


Maybe we are talking about a different team. Because:

Fedotenko-Crosby-Satan
Staal-Malkin-Sykora
Cooke-Talbot-Dupuis
???????-??????-Godard/Kennedy

Clearly there are spots open on the 4th line, but I have my doubts that Pes is good enough to bump any of those 3rd liners to the 4th line, it's possible but I'm in the "not gonna happen" camp.
PenguinHockeyFanatic
 

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:24 pm

PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
Adamant about him not making the team? All I did was politely ask WHO he will bump for his "rightful" place on the top 3 lines. And I get 3 paragraphs about everything but a direct awnser. And yeah I don't know if those kids will even be in camp this fall.


I think he's more of a proven scorer than godard...


And what line do you think Godard will play on, when he isn't being scratched?


Twas sarcasm bro. I'm telling you he can make the team (that's the poll question). Stop thinking there's no shot for him.


Oh contraire mon fere! I've stated 4th line or AHL call up later on from the get go. But around here that's like saying Lemieux should have never made it too the NHL. And all based on some crappy "highlight" video from some 3rd tier pro league. How very snarky.


Because some third liner will have to be plugged into a top six role such as dupuis, I feel that pez has a shot at the third line with a good camp and could even beat out TK if he shows a strong work ethic. cooke, pez, talbot is a sick third line assuming staal plays top six. Fast with a scoring touch. Pretty much fedko, pez, talbot, dupuis, cooke can be interchangeable and rotate through a strong 3-4 line while one plays up. No point in saying he's not talented cause he obviously is, it depends on his work ethic at this point and how fast he can figure out the NHL system.


Maybe we are talking about a different team. Because:

Fedotenko-Crosby-Satan
Staal-Malkin-Sykora
Cooke-Talbot-Dupuis
???????-??????-Godard/Kennedy

Clearly there are spots open on the 4th line, but I have my doubts that Pes is good enough to bump any of those 3rd liners to the 4th line, it's possible but I'm in the "not gonna happen" camp.


Fedko is a third liner too, read up on the word "rotation." Sure, one of them will play have to play with Sid, but you don't need a "set" third line. Rotations work extremely well- see "detroit in the finals."
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,809
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:20 pm
Location: Dallas

Postby mikey287 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:34 pm

PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:are you logical enough to figure out that his deal is a TWO-way deal for a very, very good reason.


Yes and are you logical enough to realize that it's a two-way deal as MANDATED by the current collective bargaining agreement...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,320
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Postby Collider on Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:46 am

newarenanow wrote:
bhaw wrote:
newarenanow wrote:I think he has a chance. Now whether he makes it or not is another question.


Actually, I think that was the intended question. :D


That's werewolf talk.


THAT's werewolf talk.
Collider
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:59 pm
Location: Uncle Daddy's Funtime Ranch

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:45 am

mikey287 wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:are you logical enough to figure out that his deal is a TWO-way deal for a very, very good reason.


Yes and are you logical enough to realize that it's a two-way deal as MANDATED by the current collective bargaining agreement...



LOL oh, I did not know that. In light of this recent information one of the following situations will take place:

He will start the season on the 4th line just like Staal did in his rookie year. His season in the FHL doesn't amount to P-diddily squat during the training camp to be a part of the ECC.

He will go back home and have sex with hot Finnish models, never to know what his NHL dream would ever be. Never to visit Scores on NY road trips that is.

He will bump Talbot, Cooke, or Dupuis (none of which will happen) to the 4th line and satisfy every LGP posters wildest fantasy and yield many lame "inside jokes" about me; The PHF.

He will be out played in training camp but decide to start in the AHL in order to learn the defending ECC system and become acclimated to the NA style of play. As soon as an opportunity presents itself he will enter the NHL and probably stay.

He will be "rotated" from his place on the 4th line every now and then (like everybody will be) to fail on scoring lines, but give Cuervo renewed hope as Crosby bounces pucks in off of his face.
Last edited by PenguinHockeyFanatic on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
PenguinHockeyFanatic
 

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:46 am

JoseCuervo wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
Adamant about him not making the team? All I did was politely ask WHO he will bump for his "rightful" place on the top 3 lines. And I get 3 paragraphs about everything but a direct awnser. And yeah I don't know if those kids will even be in camp this fall.


I think he's more of a proven scorer than godard...


And what line do you think Godard will play on, when he isn't being scratched?


Twas sarcasm bro. I'm telling you he can make the team (that's the poll question). Stop thinking there's no shot for him.


Oh contraire mon fere! I've stated 4th line or AHL call up later on from the get go. But around here that's like saying Lemieux should have never made it too the NHL. And all based on some crappy "highlight" video from some 3rd tier pro league. How very snarky.


Because some third liner will have to be plugged into a top six role such as dupuis, I feel that pez has a shot at the third line with a good camp and could even beat out TK if he shows a strong work ethic. cooke, pez, talbot is a sick third line assuming staal plays top six. Fast with a scoring touch. Pretty much fedko, pez, talbot, dupuis, cooke can be interchangeable and rotate through a strong 3-4 line while one plays up. No point in saying he's not talented cause he obviously is, it depends on his work ethic at this point and how fast he can figure out the NHL system.


Maybe we are talking about a different team. Because:

Fedotenko-Crosby-Satan
Staal-Malkin-Sykora
Cooke-Talbot-Dupuis
???????-??????-Godard/Kennedy

Clearly there are spots open on the 4th line, but I have my doubts that Pes is good enough to bump any of those 3rd liners to the 4th line, it's possible but I'm in the "not gonna happen" camp.


Fedko is a third liner too, read up on the word "rotation." Sure, one of them will play have to play with Sid, but you don't need a "set" third line. Rotations work extremely well- see "detroit in the finals."


Rotations? So is like Crosby the Closer?
PenguinHockeyFanatic
 

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:45 am

Uh...the closer has nothing to do with the rotation in baseball.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,369
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Postby maudineormsby on Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:58 am

PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:are you logical enough to figure out that his deal is a TWO-way deal for a very, very good reason.


Yes and are you logical enough to realize that it's a two-way deal as MANDATED by the current collective bargaining agreement...



LOL oh, I did not know that. In light of this recent information one of the following situations will take place:

He will start the season on the 4th line just like Staal did in his rookie year. His season in the FHL doesn't amount to P-diddily squat during the training camp to be a part of the ECC.

He will go back home and have sex with hot Finnish models, never to know what his NHL dream would ever be. Never to visit Scores on NY road trips that is.

He will bump Talbot, Cooke, or Dupuis (none of which will happen) to the 4th line and satisfy every LGP posters wildest fantasy and yield many lame "inside jokes" about me; The PHF.

He will be out played in training camp but decide to start in the AHL in order to learn the defending ECC system and become acclimated to the NA style of play. As soon as an opportunity presents itself he will enter the NHL and probably stay.

He will be "rotated" from his place on the 4th line every now and then (like everybody will be) to fail on scoring lines, but give Cuervo renewed hope as Crosby bounces pucks in off of his face.


Thanks for covering all the logical possibilities. Oh you forgot one:

He will be hit by a car driven by Dupuis, Cooke, and Talbot, in hopes that they can remove the "threat" to their rightful spot on whatever line.
maudineormsby
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,706
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:19 pm
Location: Walnut Creek, CA

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ArnoldSlick50, Matthew Monstar, Real Deal Jimmy Neal and 27 guests

e-mail