Whitney out for three months

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Whitney out for three months

Postby Lorneadoon on Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:08 am

Rossi reporting Whitney out for three months, just noticed the story...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 83150.html
Lorneadoon
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby letsgopens87 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:15 am

Well then. That sucks :(
letsgopens87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:19 am

Yay. More foot problems.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:20 am

Well, it's good to know that Whitney was hurt (as bad as that sounds) because he played bad last season, we know it, he knows it...I'm just glad he didn't flat out regress...and there's an increased chance of him returning to an even better form following this surgery...

Also, between Sydor and Goligoski we shouldn't have too much of a problem filling his place...perhaps this is why Shero held off on dealing Sydor this whole time?

Here's to a speedy recovery and much improved Whitney on the other side of this...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Member on Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:21 am

lynch Whitney
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wallflower on Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:25 am

That really sucks.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby icecats30 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:09 am

im no doctor but it seems like a pretty serious "injury". It sounds alot like what peter forsberg is going through. as a player myself, you realize how important it is to have skates that fit well and comfortable. I hope he returns closer to the 3 months than the 5 months, but above all i hope when he does return he is 100 percent healthy
icecats30
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby icecats30 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:12 am

entropyfitch wrote:i honestly thought everyone was going to be estatic that he wouldn't be playing for a few months. after all, it seems that he takes the most amout of **** around here since racchi's rug left.

who will the board pounce on now?

just from a religious stand, i wouldnt appose blaming Satan for all things that go wrong throughout the season.
icecats30
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ivand87 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:12 am

We're a month and a half away from the new season but the injuries have already begun. Fantastic.

Now all the Whitney haters can shut up. The guy was playing all season last year with a bum foot.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby cs6687 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:15 am

Defense pairings to start?

Orpik-Gonchar
Sydor-Scuderi/Eaton
Gill-Letang
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby npv708 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:28 am

why did he wait till now? didn't he um, have three months after the season ended, instead of waiting till one month before the season starts...
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bakeman81 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:54 am

cs6687 wrote:Defense pairings to start?

Orpik-Gonchar
Sydor-Scuderi/Eaton
Gill-Letang

I would imagine that Eaton wasn't signed at 2 mil per year to be the 6th/7th d-man.

I'm guessing that 6th spot is actually between Sydor and Scuderi, possibly Goligoski with Whitney being out.
bakeman81

Postby npv708 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:09 am

bakeman81 wrote:
cs6687 wrote:Defense pairings to start?

Orpik-Gonchar
Sydor-Scuderi/Eaton
Gill-Letang

I would imagine that Eaton wasn't signed at 2 mil per year to be the 6th/7th d-man.

I'm guessing that 6th spot is actually between Sydor and Scuderi, possibly Goligoski with Whitney being out.

my guess would be something like...

eaton - gonch
gill-letang
orpik - gogo/sydor/scuds

that would be my guess.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:23 am

Barring any unforeseen turn of events, I think it's important that Sydor is in the lineup on a daily basis...Sarge can move the puck of course, Tanger can move the puck, but the rest of the team is average at best...

Sydor can move it pretty well and Orpik showed some improvement with the puck last year...

Scuderi should never have the puck on his stick for more than one total second per game, and typically he achieves that feat...(nothing against Scuds, I love him, I model my game after him a little bit believe it or not)

And Gill has the underrated ability to always put the puck on net...it might not be a cannon, it might not be the fancy pass, it might not even be the best play...but it's to the net and I love it...that said, he has no business on the power play, nor should we waste his energy on it...

So the power play points will consist of Gonchar-'Tang...and...duhhh... hmmm...

I guess it's gonna be a rotation of Sydor and Orpik and then a forward...Malkin I guess?

I'm still going to assume Goligoski does not make the team...but his chances just went up, however, there's no reason (barring an amazing camp) for him to start the year with the club because he can go up and down freely...

Boy, where's Ross Lupaschuk when you need him...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby purelebo84 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:36 am

Really bad news.

The question is now-
Sydor or Goligoski?
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:08 am

ivand87 wrote:We're a month and a half away from the new season but the injuries have already begun. Fantastic.

Now all the Whitney haters can shut up. The guy was playing all season last year with a bum foot.

The knock against Whitney, by most posters on this board, wasn't about his skating. It was a bout his complete lack of physical play.

I'm not sure how a bum foot figures in a guys unwillingness and inability to play a physical game.

That being said, I'm pretty impressed that he was able to skate so well on a "bad wheel". Imagine how he'll skate when he's fully healthy again.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby DelPen on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:43 am

Actually the knock this year was his lack of offensive production Everyone but a few people got over the fact he would not be a big hitter (but still should be able to fend guys off and win battles with his size). But if his foot has been bothering him that explains the bad breakouts and missed nets because it's tough to get a good shott/long pass off when you can't transfer ytour weitgh properly.

As for the pairings:

Gonchar-Orpik
Letang-Eaton
Gill-Scuds

This is Letang's time to shine, he better make the most of this opportunity to be the #2 defenseman.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sabres_Fan on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:06 am

I see that he tried to get around having the surgery but if he just would of had it done in June he might of been ready for the beginning of the season or maybe missed 10-20 games. Now as it stands he could miss 40+ games.
Sabres_Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Pittsburgh, pa (via Buffalo in a little town known as Pominville)

Postby Southern Fan on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:31 am

How does this affect the cap hit? Do we have to count his salary in case we have another signing move?
Southern Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hawkeynut on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:44 am

Whitney, entering the second season of a six-year, $24 million contract he signed in July 2007, said general manager Ray Shero and coach Michel Therrien "were stunned" during season-ending meetings when Whitney informed them he had played all of last season on basically one skate.

That explains why Shero forgot to include him as one of the Pens puck moving defencemen during his press conference.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:50 am

This sucks.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensBeerGeek on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:51 am

Southern Fan wrote:How does this affect the cap hit? Do we have to count his salary in case we have another signing move?

There is a provision for a Long-Term Injury exemption to the Salary Cap (Section 50.10(d) in the CBA). If a player is to miss 24 calendar days/10 NHL games, then the team can exceed the cap by that player's salary during the injury (ie, replace him with another player with at most the same salary).

The problem is that the replacement player has to be off the books when the injured player seeks to return, otherwise the injured player cannot return. This is perfect for bringing up an AHL player, but not so good for signing an NHL-only replacement.

I don't think the Pens need to do this. This is why we have Sydor in the fold, which is why even now Goligoski can be getting 1st pairing minutes at WB/S right now than getting 3rd pairing minutes or sitting in the press box in Pittsburgh.
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bill from turtle creek on Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:50 am

People owe him an apology. He played hurt all year, knew that he was getting ripped by the fans in various places, and never said a word about his foot as being an excuse. Turns out he's quite a man after all.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rohit on Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:29 am

wow, talk about being unluckily lucky

the first injury, long term, before the season even starts happens to be at the position that the penguins are the deepest. hopefully this will allow whitney to take the FULL recovery time (although most players never seem to want to wait that long) and he will come back better. Sometimes having a long season has its benefits :-)
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:35 am

bill from turtle creek wrote:People owe him an apology. He played hurt all year, knew that he was getting ripped by the fans in various places, and never said a word about his foot as being an excuse. Turns out he's quite a man after all.

Heidi Klum will show up at my door wearing nothing but a trenchcoat before some people here apologize to Whitney.

As for Whitney, I applaud him for playing hurt, but he really should have let someone on the coaching staff know that he was banged-up. There were times last year he did hurt the team. (The coaches probably should have noticed that something was wrong with Whitney, so I'm not exonerating them either.)
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins