Whitney out for three months

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby bill from turtle creek on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:02 am

Jake wrote:
Rocco wrote:
bill from turtle creek wrote:People owe him an apology. He played hurt all year, knew that he was getting ripped by the fans in various places, and never said a word about his foot as being an excuse. Turns out he's quite a man after all.

Heidi Klum will show up at my door wearing nothing but a trenchcoat before some people here apologize to Whitney.

As for Whitney, I applaud him for playing hurt, but he really should have let someone on the coaching staff know that he was banged-up. There were times last year he did hurt the team. (The coaches probably should have noticed that something was wrong with Whitney, so I'm not exonerating them either.)

I'm 100% certain the coaching staff knew about his ailment.

And this moves Letang into the top-4, IMO.

According to the story, both MT and RS were "stunned" to hear of his injury. Are you saying that you know this statement to be false?
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:04 am

You know, as much as I was disappointed in Whitney's performance last year, he has always come across as a kid with a lot of character and quite leadership skills.

Now to find out that he not only refused to offer this up as an excuse to the fans and media, but that MT wasn't even in on it - well, the kid sounds like a pro. I am looking forward to his return to see him build off of the 2007 season, when he showed flashes of great talent.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby André on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:06 am

Gonchar-Orpik
Letang-Eaton
Gill-Scuds/Sydor

Scuds/Sydor

The pens are fine. Here's hoping Whitney doesn't ruch his comeback and comesback looking alot better.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bowser on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:07 am

I fail to get the reason why anyone should heap praise toward Whitney because he decided to play with an injured foot and didn't tell the team. He's risking his long-term health and the Penguins financial investment if he would have done extensive damage.

Whitney isn't the first nor will he be the last player in Pittsburgh or NHL to play hockey with an injury.

I also question the timing of the surgery considering we're a month away from training camp and this could have been addressed in June. If the injury was that severe, why risk further aggravation in the offseason and not get the problem rectified surgically.

Finally, I can understand a foot injury limiting his ability to skate or put pressure on his foot to stand his ground around the net but does it affect the mental part of the game with emotion, timing on one-timers, and passing decisions?

Strange timing and I'm not about to change my opinion that he regressed in the regular season because of it.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:09 am

Eat it Whitney bashers!
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Postby tjand72 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:23 am

Bowser gets it.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:53 am

Two things:

1. A bummed foot can do a lot for a regression in the game. It makes planting difficult when shooting. It makes getting into position difficult while skating. It makes a player less confident in his abilities because they aren't all there. Overall, when the foundation is screwed up, the entire structure will be. Should he have told the coaching staff? Probably -- but by the sounds of the article, he was working with trainers on his own and there appeared to be no longterm risk with continuation of play. The decision fro surgery so late seemed as much the Penguin's decision as it was his.

2. I have seen a lot of line combo talk and plenty of Go-Go talk. My take: why does this make Goligoski a possibility? The Pens have Letang as the next offensive defenseman in line, and there remains seven defenders on the roster. Shero is not going to carry eight to dress a rookie just for the sake of getting some additional offense. As has been the case all summer, Go-Go starts in the AHL.

Orpik-Gonchar
- Absolutely no reason to break them up. Orpik is a top-pairing defender now, and Gonchar always was. And, after their playoff performance, only a fool would change things. (leave Therrien jokes at home, folks)

Letang - Gill
- Like the first pairing, this duo brings offense and defense to the table. Both can play a physical game, as well.

Eaton - Scuderi/Sydor
- Eaton's breakout game is better than some give him credit for. He's no Letang or Gonchar, but he can hold his own. With his contract, he's in the lineup, meaning Scuds and Sydor will duke it out for the final spot.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:57 am

Imagine if those retarded Scuderi and Sydor for a forward rumors were true We'd be in really bad shape right now.

To me, Letang is a better defenseman than Whitney and this will get him more ice time which hopefully will drive Whitney to play harder when he comes back. What I see this hurting the most is the 2nd PP and even then it'sll be Sydor and Letang instead of Whitney and Letang, not a huge loss for a #2 unit.

Also, his $4 million is off the books until we can move Sydor. We can now actually let him play some minutes so he can hopefully look good enough to trade then bring up Goligoski if we get a good deal before Whitney is ready.

It sure is great to have 8 NHL calbire defensemen in the organization, isn;t it.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:00 pm

This definitely explains why Shero didn't make any moves on the defense and why Eaton was brought back. Always a method to the madness behind the scenes.

I think this means Scuds and Sydor will be interchanged based on what we need. It also clears up any problems with who comes in if another injury occurs or someone struggles.

Other than Orpik-Gonchar, I think we see some rotating lines until some matches click.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby heshootsandscores on Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:07 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:
Whitney, entering the second season of a six-year, $24 million contract he signed in July 2007, said general manager Ray Shero and coach Michel Therrien "were stunned" during season-ending meetings when Whitney informed them he had played all of last season on basically one skate.

That explains why Shero forgot to include him as one of the Pens puck moving defencemen during his press conference.

ahhhh, this might just explain Hossa jumping ship~~~sarcasm~~~
heshootsandscores
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:47 pm

I also question the timing of the surgery considering we're a month away from training camp and this could have been addressed in June. If the injury was that severe, why risk further aggravation in the offseason and not get the problem rectified surgically.

He saw three surgeons. All three suggested the surgery might not be necessary for this season but would be inevitable. The team supported his decision to try and rehab it, I don't see any problem with how it transpired.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bill from turtle creek on Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:54 pm

Bowser wrote:I fail to get the reason why anyone should heap praise toward Whitney because he decided to play with an injured foot and didn't tell the team. He's risking his long-term health and the Penguins financial investment if he would have done extensive damage.

Whitney isn't the first nor will he be the last player in Pittsburgh or NHL to play hockey with an injury.

Finally, I can understand a foot injury limiting his ability to skate or put pressure on his foot to stand his ground around the net but does it affect the mental part of the game with emotion, timing on one-timers, and passing decisions?

Strange timing and I'm not about to change my opinion that he regressed in the regular season because of it.

Nobody ever said that most of the people's opinions about Whitney here were fair, so I am not surprised. I suspect that it would take an act of God for most people to change their opinion of him.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:58 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:
Bowser wrote:I fail to get the reason why anyone should heap praise toward Whitney because he decided to play with an injured foot and didn't tell the team. He's risking his long-term health and the Penguins financial investment if he would have done extensive damage.

Nobody ever said that most of the people's opinions about Whitney here were fair, so I am not surprised. I suspect that it would take an act of God for most people to change their opinion of him.

LGPWB should suck his toes back into action.
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Postby Samsdog on Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:02 pm

I'm surprised there isn't more talk of Letang moving up onto the PP given his potential and his wicked shot. This is his chance to prove himself and make a name. I personally thought he should have been manning the off point last year if only because of his right handed shot, but what can you do. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get Whit's PP time now.

As for Whit, I'm glad he's out because he'll come back healthy and mentally rested, ready to play the way he's expected to. I don't hate Whit but his play last year was horrible, and it probably was partially mental. Now that he has the "my foot's not working" monkey off his back, his head will be in the game and his focus will be back. I expect some excellent play from him after that.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:08 pm

Samsdog wrote:I'm surprised there isn't more talk of Letang moving up onto the PP given his potential and his wicked shot. This is his chance to prove himself and make a name. I personally thought he should have been manning the off point last year if only because of his right handed shot, but what can you do. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get Whit's PP time now.

As for Whit, I'm glad he's out because he'll come back healthy and mentally rested, ready to play the way he's expected to. I don't hate Whit but his play last year was horrible, and it probably was partially mental. Now that he has the "my foot's not working" monkey off his back, his head will be in the game and his focus will be back. I expect some excellent play from him after that.

What wicked shot? He has like one career PPG so far as a result of his shot, it's not that wicked.
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Postby Defence21 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:26 pm

PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
Samsdog wrote:I'm surprised there isn't more talk of Letang moving up onto the PP given his potential and his wicked shot. This is his chance to prove himself and make a name. I personally thought he should have been manning the off point last year if only because of his right handed shot, but what can you do. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get Whit's PP time now.

What wicked shot? He has like one career PPG so far as a result of his shot, it's not that wicked.

Power play ice time is kind of a necessity before scoring a goal on the power play is possible. Strange, I know.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:34 pm

That is too bad for Ryan Whitney & the penguins.
Sometime hockey players cannot win for losing~ known as the sport were the players, play no matter their injuries... The smart thing may have been to fully disclose, treat, and heal, for Ryan’s and penguin long-term success. But, can’t you just hear some if Whitney, maybe after Eaton got hurt, decided he had a sore foot and needed surgery.
Sorry Mr. Whits, stinks for now. How he ever managed the 50:46 mins in Detroit, game five; maybe painkillers?

All the best to Ryan for a full recovery. Looking for a blue cloud, we've seen what fresh players can do when the play-offs and season ending push arrives.

Darryl Sydor just became huge on depth chart.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:31 pm

Defence21 wrote:

Power play ice time is kind of a necessity before scoring a goal on the power play is possible. Strange, I know.

The only thing strange is why Therrien would not allow this "wicked shot" to play every second of every power play.
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Postby cs6687 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:58 pm

Defence21 wrote:

The only thing strange is why Therrien would not allow this "wicked shot" to play every second of every power play.

On a team that had Crosby, Malkin, Hossa, Sykora, Malone, Gonchar, Whitney as options for the first power play unit, it is difficult to for one to ascertain why Letang wouldn't be one of the top options for the top PP unit. :roll:
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:03 pm

cs6687 wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

On a team that had Crosby, Malkin, Hossa, Sykora, Malone, Gonchar, Whitney as options for the first power play unit, it is difficult to for one to ascertain why Letang wouldn't be one of the top options for the top PP unit. :roll:

Yes, it made much more sense to put someone out there with an actual "wicked shot" instead of a fringe NHL rookie 19 year old who does not have a wicked shot. I agree. Oh wait, should I use an eyeroll? Is that how it's done here at LGP? I always forget the eyeroll. :roll:
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Postby cojac on Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:10 pm

Orpik-Gonchar
Eaton-Letang
Gill-Sydor
Scuderi

Sydor plays ahead of Scuds because he can play on the 2nd PP unit.
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Corvidae on Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:26 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:People owe him an apology. He played hurt all year, knew that he was getting ripped by the fans in various places, and never said a word about his foot as being an excuse. Turns out he's quite a man after all.

Never. He only hurt his foot cause he's teh soff.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:38 pm

Actually, going back to his Val D'Or days (probably from another league you don't respect or have heard of) he had a really good shot...as a defenseman, in 2 out of 3 seasons finished top 3 or was on pace to finish top 3 in goals on the club, that includes all forwards...

In the playoffs in 06-07 he led his club's defensemen (and, IIRC the league) in goals with 12 (in just 19 games)...the next closest on the team had 2...

I think his first 3 NHL points were goals as well...but I could be wrong...

But stats aside, he does have a very good scoring touch from the blueline, it was one of the main things that got him drafted...he wasn't very good defensively at the time and, IIRC, he only had average vision (mind you, as a rookie)...but he always had a tremendous shot...Letang doesn't have top notch creativity, at least not yet, but he does know how to find open ice, find the prime scoring areas, which is key for d-men to score...they can't just hang around at the point and shoot into shinpads all day...if you want to be a goal scoring defenseman, you need to find that prime real estate, and even as a youngster, Letang can do just that...

At his peak, it wouldn't be unreasonable for Letang to have a few 15 goal, maybe even a couple 20 goal, 50-55 point seasons...he likes to shoot and for good reason...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:02 pm

mikey287 wrote:Actually, going back to his Val D'Or days (probably from another league you don't respect or have heard of) he had a really good shot...as a defenseman, in 2 out of 3 seasons finished top 3 or was on pace to finish top 3 in goals on the club, that includes all forwards...

In the playoffs in 06-07 he led his club's defensemen (and, IIRC the league) in goals with 12 (in just 19 games)...the next closest on the team had 2...

But stats aside, he does have a very good scoring touch from the blueline, it was one of the main things that got him drafted...he wasn't very good defensively at the time and, IIRC, he only had average vision (mind you, as a rookie)...but he always had a tremendous shot...Letang doesn't have top notch creativity, at least not yet, but he does know how to find open ice, find the prime scoring areas, which is key for d-men to score...they can't just hang around at the point and shoot into shinpads all day...if you want to be a goal scoring defenseman, you need to find that prime real estate, and even as a youngster, Letang can do just that...

At his peak, it wouldn't be unreasonable for Letang to have a few 15 goal, maybe even a couple 20 goal, 50-55 point seasons...he likes to shoot and for good reason...

That's all fine and dandy, he can certainly play the game and chip in some goals. But his shot is not "wicked" right now and I doubt it will ever be that good.
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Postby Justin Catanzarite on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:07 pm

mikey287 wrote:Actually, going back to his Val D'Or days (probably from another league you don't respect or have heard of) he had a really good shot...as a defenseman, in 2 out of 3 seasons finished top 3 or was on pace to finish top 3 in goals on the club, that includes all forwards...

That's all fine and dandy, he can certainly play the game and chip in some goals. But his shot is not "wicked" right now and I doubt it will ever be that good.

To say a shot is not 'wicked' is very arbitrary. He's not Joe Sakic, but he can pick a corner and put the puck in that corner from the slot with a nice wrist shot. When he first came up to the Penguins, two years ago, that was very evident as he posted 3 or 4 goals like that in a short period of time.
Justin Catanzarite
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins