Whitney out for three months

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:18 pm

Justin Catanzarite wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Actually, going back to his Val D'Or days (probably from another league you don't respect or have heard of) he had a really good shot...as a defenseman, in 2 out of 3 seasons finished top 3 or was on pace to finish top 3 in goals on the club, that includes all forwards...

In the playoffs in 06-07 he led his club's defensemen (and, IIRC the league) in goals with 12 (in just 19 games)...the next closest on the team had 2...

I think his first 3 NHL points were goals as well...but I could be wrong...

But stats aside, he does have a very good scoring touch from the blueline, it was one of the main things that got him drafted...he wasn't very good defensively at the time and, IIRC, he only had average vision (mind you, as a rookie)...but he always had a tremendous shot...Letang doesn't have top notch creativity, at least not yet, but he does know how to find open ice, find the prime scoring areas, which is key for d-men to score...they can't just hang around at the point and shoot into shinpads all day...if you want to be a goal scoring defenseman, you need to find that prime real estate, and even as a youngster, Letang can do just that...

At his peak, it wouldn't be unreasonable for Letang to have a few 15 goal, maybe even a couple 20 goal, 50-55 point seasons...he likes to shoot and for good reason...

That's all fine and dandy, he can certainly play the game and chip in some goals. But his shot is not "wicked" right now and I doubt it will ever be that good.

To say a shot is not 'wicked' is very arbitrary. He's not Joe Sakic, but he can pick a corner and put the puck in that corner from the slot with a nice wrist shot. When he first came up to the Penguins, two years ago, that was very evident as he posted 3 or 4 goals like that in a short period of time.

If that's your definition of a "wicked NHL shot" then you must be very impressed with the vast majority of players that suit up for every team across the league. You might be WOWed by my rec league players and most high school games too.

FYI, a wicked NHL shot is the likes of Malkin, Kovy, Sakic, Souray, etc. So far Letang is about as impressive a goal scorer on defense as Colby Armstrong is at winger. They can both riddle the the corners and surprise goalies, but neither one of them has ever shown me he can over power a goalie with a heavy, precise shot with anything appraoching consistency. AKA wicked.
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:21 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:
Bowser wrote:I fail to get the reason why anyone should heap praise toward Whitney because he decided to play with an injured foot and didn't tell the team. He's risking his long-term health and the Penguins financial investment if he would have done extensive damage.

Whitney isn't the first nor will he be the last player in Pittsburgh or NHL to play hockey with an injury.

I also question the timing of the surgery considering we're a month away from training camp and this could have been addressed in June. If the injury was that severe, why risk further aggravation in the offseason and not get the problem rectified surgically.

Finally, I can understand a foot injury limiting his ability to skate or put pressure on his foot to stand his ground around the net but does it affect the mental part of the game with emotion, timing on one-timers, and passing decisions?

Strange timing and I'm not about to change my opinion that he regressed in the regular season because of it.

Nobody ever said that most of the people's opinions about Whitney here were fair, so I am not surprised. I suspect that it would take an act of God for most people to change their opinion of him.

Why go after Bowser, Bill? I think he brings up some great points. If you want to dispute his logic, please fell free, but to say Bowser is being unfair without addressing his points is disingenuous.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Justin Catanzarite on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:25 pm

mikey287 wrote:Actually, going back to his Val D'Or days (probably from another league you don't respect or have heard of) he had a really good shot...as a defenseman, in 2 out of 3 seasons finished top 3 or was on pace to finish top 3 in goals on the club, that includes all forwards...

In the playoffs in 06-07 he led his club's defensemen (and, IIRC the league) in goals with 12 (in just 19 games)...the next closest on the team had 2...

But stats aside, he does have a very good scoring touch from the blueline, it was one of the main things that got him drafted...he wasn't very good defensively at the time and, IIRC, he only had average vision (mind you, as a rookie)...but he always had a tremendous shot...Letang doesn't have top notch creativity, at least not yet, but he does know how to find open ice, find the prime scoring areas, which is key for d-men to score...they can't just hang around at the point and shoot into shinpads all day...if you want to be a goal scoring defenseman, you need to find that prime real estate, and even as a youngster, Letang can do just that...

At his peak, it wouldn't be unreasonable for Letang to have a few 15 goal, maybe even a couple 20 goal, 50-55 point seasons...he likes to shoot and for good reason...

That's all fine and dandy, he can certainly play the game and chip in some goals. But his shot is not "wicked" right now and I doubt it will ever be that good.

To say a shot is not 'wicked' is very arbitrary. He's not Joe Sakic, but he can pick a corner and put the puck in that corner from the slot with a nice wrist shot. When he first came up to the Penguins, two years ago, that was very evident as he posted 3 or 4 goals like that in a short period of time.

If that's your definition of a "wicked NHL shot" then you must be very impressed with the vast majority of players that suit up for every team across the league. You might be WOWed by my rec league players and most high school games too.

FYI, a wicked NHL shot is the likes of Malkin, Kovy, Sakic, Souray, etc. So far Letang is about as impressive a goal scorer on defense as Colby Armstrong is at winger. They can both riddle the the corners and surprise goalies, but neither one of them has ever shown me he can over power a goalie with a heavy, precise shot with anything appraoching consistency. AKA wicked.

I guess I missed the memo where 'wicked' became defined in terms of an NHL shot...

I was not aware that we could tangibly state what is wicked or not wicked in terms of a shot.

So what makes it wicked?

82-94MPH?
Shot curves 4+ degrees on its typical flight?
puck occasionally morphes into giant bee, scaring goaltender and then flying harmlessly into the net?
Justin Catanzarite
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 pm

Said about Kris Letang after his 1st year with the NHL club. :roll:
NHL defensemen mature slowly to maintain a high level. JC~ give the kid a chance to develop.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Justin Catanzarite on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:27 pm

penny lane wrote:

NHL defensemen mature slowly to maintain a high level. JC~ give the kid a chance to develop.

I think you meant to direct that at PensFanatic? I'm defending Letang... he has a nice wrister for a D-man, not sure if it is wicked or not though, I'll have to run some diagnostics on his shot speed, trajectory, etc.
Justin Catanzarite
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm

I guess I missed the memo where 'wicked' became defined in terms of an NHL shot...

I was not aware that we could tangibly state what is wicked or not wicked in terms of a shot.

So what makes it wicked?

82-94MPH?
puck occasionally morphes into giant bee, scaring goaltender and then flying harmlessly into the net?

see Malkin, Evgeny.

If you're going to classify an NHL player with a wicked shot then that means that player has a wicked NHL shot in your mind. If you meant to say that he has taken some wicked shots in the past, or has wicked shot potential, or has a wicked AHL shot, then please specify. Otherwise you look like a fool.

And why the heartache for Letang when Whitney gets ripped 24/7 for not checking? Fair is fair I guess, but for the record I'm not ripping on Letang, I'm simply stating what everybody should already know having seen him play. The shot is not "wicked", sorry to dissapoint.
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Postby penny lane on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:33 pm

penny lane wrote:

I think you meant to direct that at PensFanatic?

8-) the JC I meant is THE Jesus Christ. :oops: So sorry. :)
Although I'm sure you have the same qualities. :wink:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Justin Catanzarite on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:38 pm

So what makes it wicked?

82-94MPH?

see Malkin, Evgeny.

If you're going to classify an NHL player with a wicked shot then that means that player has a wicked NHL shot in your mind. If you meant to say that he has taken some wicked shots in the past, or has wicked shot potential, or has a wicked AHL shot, then please specify. Otherwise you look like a fool.

And why the heartache for Letang when Whitney gets ripped 24/7 for not checking? Fair is fair I guess, but for the record I'm not ripping on Letang, I'm simply stating what everybody should already know having seen him play. The shot is not "wicked", sorry to dissapoint.

I think I may be arguing for the sake of argument, but wicked is a word that can not be tangibly defined. It is not a math equation, it is an opinion. Some may consider a wristshot in the top 1% to be wicked, but some may consider a wristshot in the top 49% to be wicked. Who really cares whether or not his shot applies to a slang word? I am a fool for defending it, but why even make a post denouncing the wickedness of his shot? I'm entrenched in the argument that I, arguably... not tangibly, started. I am now going to stop with the idiocy of this argument because it doesn't fully pertain to anything involving the Penguins, because its not provable. Maybe in the next few years, a scientist will define what wicked means in relation to a piece of vulcanized rubber being powered via wrist through a composite shaft and blade.
Justin Catanzarite
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby cs6687 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:44 pm

So what makes it wicked?

82-94MPH?

see Malkin, Evgeny.

I think I may be arguing for the sake of argument, but wicked is a word that can not be tangibly defined. It is not a math equation, it is an opinion. Some may consider a wristshot in the top 1% to be wicked, but some may consider a wristshot in the top 49% to be wicked. Who really cares whether or not his shot applies to a slang word? I am a fool for defending it, but why even make a post denouncing the wickedness of his shot? I'm entrenched in the argument that I, arguably... not tangibly, started. I am now going to stop with the idiocy of this argument because it doesn't fully pertain to anything involving the Penguins, because its not provable. Maybe in the next few years, a scientist will define what wicked means in relation to a piece of vulcanized rubber being powered via wrist through a composite shaft and blade.

Good idea, Justin. Don't feed the bear (Fanatic).
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:51 pm

So what makes it wicked?

82-94MPH?

see Malkin, Evgeny.

Speaking in terms of hockey slang, the word "wicked" was made largely popular around the Boston area at least 20 years ago. It's used as a verb to describe a shot was truly elite for the level of play that the shooter was partaking in. For example, "That shot was wicked good." Or,"That shot was wicked sick!". Or it could be used to describe elite shooters in the specified game or level of play in which that shooter currently resdies in. "THat kid has a wicked shot from the point, you better get on him quick, don't let him get it off, it'
s too wicked Chica!!" Or, "His shot wicked smooth, he is their best sniper!"
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Postby mikey287 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:31 pm

PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:Otherwise you look like a fool.

Pot, kettle, I believe you've met...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:31 pm

This argument wicked sucks.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:07 pm

Letang doesn't have a wicked slapper but give the kid props for his sick, nasty wrister. Fo shizzle.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:44 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:Letang doesn't have a wicked slapper but give the kid props for his sick, nasty wrister. Fo shizzle.

I think he has a nasty shot, but it's just a shade above sweet and way under wicked.
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:37 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:Letang doesn't have a wicked slapper but give the kid props for his sick, nasty wrister. Fo shizzle.

I think he has a nasty shot, but it's just a shade above sweet and way under wicked.

Is it sick?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:46 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:

Is it sick?

It goes:

1. Wicked!
2. Deadly!
3. Sick!
4. Twisted!
5. Nasty!
6. Sweet.
7. Heavy.
8. Quick.
9. Precise.
10. Garbage.

So no, his typical shot prowess is not at a sick! level of execution, but there is promise for a twisted!
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Postby Sigwolf on Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:02 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:

Is it sick?

It goes:

1. Wicked!
2. Deadly!
3. Sick!
4. Twisted!
5. Nasty!
6. Sweet.
7. Heavy.
8. Quick.
9. Precise.
10. Garbage.

So no, his typical shot prowess is not at a sick! level of execution, but there is promise for a twisted!

As long as we are trying to not look like a fool here...
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:07 pm

Not that I really want to be a player in this gong show...but, "heavy" and "quick" would better describe what a shot is, more than it would how good it is...

For instance, Nolan Baumgartner's shot is "ass" but I'd consider it a "heavy" shot because he's big and he can hit it hard...that doesn't make it good...if Hal Gill took a slapshot, I'm sure it would be "heavy" but that doesn't make it good by any stretch...heavy shots are those low, hard shots that many average or worse defensemen collect goals or primary assists on because it deflects in off of a talented player or the opposing team...hmm, like Nolan Baumgartner...

Joe Sakic's shot (amazing, of course) is "quick" (among other things), that really doesn't describe its effectiveness, it describes his release...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:10 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:

Is it sick?

It goes:

1. Wicked!
2. Deadly!
3. Sick!
4. Twisted!
5. Nasty!
6. Sweet.
7. Heavy.
8. Quick.
9. Precise.
10. Garbage.

I hope to god you don't right on urban dictionary because your definitions suck.

I mean-

7. Heavy.
8. Quick.
9. Precise.

those are real qualities of a shot idiot. Heavy = hard, quick = release speed, precise= accuracy

garbage = you
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bhaw on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:15 pm

what was this thread about again? I lost track after the craptitude of the "wicked" argument.

oh yeah... whitney out.

Whether Whitney was healthy or not, I don't think it gives Gologoski any more of a chance to be on the NHL squad. Regardless of the utter hatred, Sydor is much better than Goligoski at the game of hockey.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:26 pm

Goligoski won't play in the NHL next year until all of our defensive depth is gone.

Scuds and Sydor have already proved they can play in the NHL. Gogo needs to get bigger and work to better his defense before getting called up.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Draftnik on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:39 pm

The Whitney bashing never ends. He had 3 specialists tell him to rehabilitate his injury instead of going directly to surgery. It isn't as if Whitney decided not to have surgery because he was afraid to go under the knife. He didn't just get a 2nd opinion that said try to do it without surgery, he had a 3rd opinion. That is uber due diligence. He also went to Charlotte for the surgery which indicates he probably was advised by some preeminent specialist since his home bases are Boston and Pittsburgh.

Somehow though Whit should have gone under the knife months ago and ignored the advice of 3 specialists because yinzer mcbinzer from LGP.com had the magic MRI oujia board that knew the 3 experts advice to rehab things was destined to fail. :roll:

Whit said:

"Obviously, had we known surgery was inevitable, we would have had it in June,"

Maybe his doctors are almost as smart as yinzer mcbinzer :roll:

An osteotomy seems like a fairly serious type of surgery. The surgeon will be cutting, removing, and realigning bones. It isn't a simple scope of some cartilage.

http://www.bcfootandankle.com/osteotomy.htm

No wonder 3 specialists recommended trying more conservative options before resorting to surgery.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:51 pm

I'd like to see Letang move up to the PP unit and do the left defense backdoor one-timer with Sid setting him up.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:56 pm

Draftnik wrote:The Whitney bashing never ends. He had 3 specialists tell him to rehabilitate his injury instead of going directly to surgery. It isn't as if Whitney decided not to have surgery because he was afraid to go under the knife. He didn't just get a 2nd opinion that said try to do it without surgery, he had a 3rd opinion. That is uber due diligence. He also went to Charlotte for the surgery which indicates he probably was advised by some preeminent specialist since his home bases are Boston and Pittsburgh.

Somehow though Whit should have gone under the knife months ago and ignored the advice of 3 specialists because yinzer mcbinzer from LGP.com had the magic MRI oujia board that knew the 3 experts advice to rehab things was destined to fail. :roll:

Whit said:

"Obviously, had we known surgery was inevitable, we would have had it in June,"

Maybe his doctors are almost as smart as yinzer mcbinzer :roll:

An osteotomy seems like a fairly serious type of surgery. The surgeon will be cutting, removing, and realigning bones. It isn't a simple scope of some cartilage.

http://www.bcfootandankle.com/osteotomy.htm

No wonder 3 specialists recommended trying more conservative options before resorting to surgery.

I wonder how bad Whitney's foot is. The pictures from that example are pretty extreme. I had a similar surgery that Whitney went through, however it was for my right femur. The bone had to regrow once they cut through it and reset it. In all, it took about 4 months for the bone to regrow 100%.

I had knee/leg issues that affected my running ability (always getting a pulled groin from over protecting that leg). I will say this. After the surgery and rehab, my leg feels 100% and better than ever. I hope this works out for Whitney as well because this can make a big difference in his performance (for the longhaul).
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby mikey287 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:26 am

JoseCuervo wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

Is it sick?

It goes:

1. Wicked!
2. Deadly!
3. Sick!
4. Twisted!
5. Nasty!
6. Sweet.
7. Heavy.
8. Quick.
9. Precise.
10. Garbage.

I hope to god you don't right on urban dictionary because your definitions suck.

I mean-

7. Heavy.
8. Quick.
9. Precise.

those are real qualities of a shot idiot. Heavy = hard, quick = release speed, precise= accuracy

garbage = you

Viva Cuervo!
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins