WORST Pens game you've ever been to.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: WORST Pens game you've ever been to.

Postby letsgoalpens on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:19 am

Tek Jansen wrote:
startsinginalong wrote:Inspired by the "Best Pens game" which was inspired by the "First Pens game" threads.

My worst was last season in Atlanta when Recchi scored the SO winner after being traded. Right when he stepped up to take the shot, I knew it was over. Karma won that night. Ugh.

Tell me about it, I was there as well. God that pissed me off, oh and then the next one I went to Crosby wasn't playing.

yeah, those games were not fun but the second one in late jan. was even worse. the first game crosby had two goals and lehtonen just got the tip of his glove on crosby's shootout attempt to keep it from going in and winning the game for the pens. the second game in atlanta was ten times worse, the pens had a legit goal called back, looked flat, and it was one of the few games that conklin lost. plus philips was like half full and there was no energy in the building. that call on ruutu for "kneeing" and the fighting major he got when he did not even throw a punch was some of the worst officiating I have ever seen. seeing that punk kovalchuk laying on the ice was the only redeeming moment all night.

the game when kovalchuk pointed at sid back in october of 2005 was pretty bad too. the pens came back to lose 6-4 but were down like 5-0 at one point. It was a home and home and nobody went after kovalchuk the next night like they should have. I have been to every game the pens have played in Atlanta since the thrashers have come into existence and this one was probably the worst. I was SURE that somebody would step up for sid but nobody did, except Talbot, and it was just disappointing to see a team with so little heart. Thank goodness things have changed so much since then.
Last edited by letsgoalpens on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
letsgoalpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:23 am

The first 2 are a tie. Both vs caps in the old Caps Center, both 7-2 losses.

I remember the smirk on the kids face behind me and his dad was a prick. After the caps went up 6-1 (the second game) the kids dad tapped (well when you're 13 it feeld more like a slap) me on the head. My dad did not stand for that....needless to say the caps fan was ejected.

My third pens game was the 4OT monster.....Thanks Nedved!
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby minimal on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:32 am

Pens at Flames... Maybe 2002? Shelled out around $400 bucks for row 1 seats, Pens get spanked 6-1 (i think) and SEAN FREAKING DONOVAN gets a hat trick. I remember saying to my wife: "Only the pens could make Sean Donovan look like an all-star!"

Second worst would be the Pens at Calgary last season... Pens win, but that was the game MAF blew out his ankle.

M.
minimal
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Scott on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:55 am

Pens / Devils
I believe it was game 2 of the series.

Pens were down by 1 with around 2 or 3 mins to go in the game.

Jagr scored by accident when his cross crease pass deflected off a Devil skate and went past Marty B. The igloo went crazy!

All that to see Scott Stevens or Claude Lemieux score for the Devils about 50 seconds after that and win the game in regulation.

:(
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KillerChihuahua on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:56 am

Last year I was at the Tampa Bay game when Crosby got hurt and they lost 2-0
About 4-5 years ago a Saturday home game vs the Canadians. I think the final was 7-0(it may have been worse)and the Igloo was filled with drunk happy Canadian fans. It is what fans in other NFL stadiums feel like when the Steeler nation invades
KillerChihuahua
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocky133213 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:25 pm

I don't remember the date, but the last game of the season..i want to say it was the 89-90 season, (but it could have also been 87-88 i was 8 years old then)...

The Pens played Buffalo in the last game of the season, with the winner qualifying for the playoffs and the loser's season ending that night....we lost in OT....
Rocky133213
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby wendellyoung on Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:55 pm

It was winter 1985 and I had just moved back to NY from a rural southern area with no hockey. So I was really psyched to see the Pens again, and so they lost about 11-1 to the Rangers. Very tough to sit through something like that in a Pens jersey at MSG. Rookie Lemieux did show some flashes of ability, at least. Denis Herron was in goal for us.

Some mid-80s blowouts at Hartford were very hard to stomach because of how they'd keep blaring that inane theme song after every goal.
wendellyoung

Postby duke66 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:54 pm

wendellyoung wrote: Some mid-80s blowouts at Hartford were very hard to stomach because of how they'd keep blaring that inane theme song after every goal.

...that would be brass bonanza!!!...check it out...

http://www.brassbonanza.com/hcc/whalers ... ss-bonanza
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby K2 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:33 pm

This year's game against the Sharks was my worst. I was in the last row of rear E, could only see half the ice, and couldn't even stand up without hitting my head on the roof. Add in the fact that the game was boring and JR won it in the shootout, it was woof city. That was Army and Crusher's last game with us I think, and ironically the game's only highlights were Army destroying Cheechoo and Christensen tying it up late
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pensrock68 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:21 pm

1999-2000 Playoffs (5/4/00), Game 4 at home vs. Philadelphia.

yes, the 5OT 2-1 loss. Sure I can say I was there for a little piece of history but.... It was the toughest thing to sit through with an entire row of Flyers fans in front of us at the end. Keith Primeau... wow.

Even worse - everyone knew Philly had the series wrapped up after that one.
pensrock68

Postby letsgopens66 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:44 pm

[quote="RedLightDistrict"]May 17, 1999.

Game 6, OT loss vs. Toronto.

We walked out of the Igloo that night not knowing if that was the last Penguins game in Pittsburgh.

Eerie, empty feeling exiting the Igloo that night. Never attended another sporting event like it.[/quote

+1
I was also there. Kovalev was on fire that night. When they went up 2-0, my dad and I were talking about buying game 7 tickets in Toronto.
letsgopens66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby letsgopens66 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:47 pm

pensrock68 wrote:1999-2000 Playoffs (5/4/00), Game 4 at home vs. Philadelphia.

yes, the 5OT 2-1 loss. Sure I can say I was there for a little piece of history but.... It was the toughest thing to sit through with an entire row of Flyers fans in front of us at the end. Keith Primeau... wow.

Even worse - everyone knew Philly had the series wrapped up after that one.

After the game, we had a nice 5 hour drive back to eastern pa. I think we got in around 7 or 8 am.
letsgopens66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RainbowsAndCottonCandy on Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:34 am

I believe it was game 5 of the 1998 stanley cup playoffs when vincent damphousse sent the penguins packing back to Montreal as the Habs beat the pens 5-2.

That was my first playoff game ever.
RainbowsAndCottonCandy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LtDan on Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:58 am

12/31/03 afternoon game
Isles 6 Pens 0
absolutely NO life, zero offense as indicated by the score.
LtDan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Clutch and grab era moments

Postby the HockeyGod on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:22 pm

I belive it was 1998. The only game I got to go to all season that year. A 0-0 tie against the Bruins. It was awful. It looked like a greco-roman wrestling match on skates. Totally unwatchable.

The two most meorable moments of the night: My brother and his friend said they'd drink a beer after every goal, which obviously ended up being a poor plan; and on the way out of the arena we saw a Dodge Ram in the middle of Crawford St. that had (somehow) managed to tear its entire rear axel off headed back into town, by itself, without hitting anything.
the HockeyGod

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:47 pm

I think i've been at a Devils blowout over the pens, I wanna say 8-0
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:25 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I think i've been at a Devils blowout over the pens, I wanna say 8-0

The Madden/McKay 4 goals a piece game?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:26 am

wendellyoung wrote:Some mid-80s blowouts at Hartford were very hard to stomach because of how they'd keep blaring that inane theme song after every goal.

Don't ever speak ill of Brass Bonanza again! :wink:
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby fourtKNOX on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:51 am

I am shocked that this experience has not been brought up.

This past season we played Buffalo at home, I believe it was the week before the Winter Classic, the nightmare of a night were WWGRD went down.

Anyways my brother the mallguard can attest to this. We go filing into our seats early because we wanted to get nachos and such to eat prior to the game, more room to eat at.

There he sat, waiting for us, a man of Indian, or Eastern Asian decent. For some reason I knew we were in for it. Well being that my bro owns the seats, I sat next to him.

Now I dont claim to be any fan-guru, but usually if somebody is plowing down on nachos to dont start conversations with them until they are done. This dude just kept talking, and talking.

Fastforwad to the game... the man sat on his feet (yes up under him) bouncing around like a 4 year old at his first hockey game. To make things even worse Peter Sykora got scratched that night, nobody knew why. However he believe soooooooooomebody in the E section had to know and he kept yelling out why, why, why.

To make things even worse, he kept yelling out "make a buffalo snacker out of them" and giggle like a school girl.

I last 2 periods next to him, then switched my brother. He last approx. about 5 minutes before he turned to the guy and ask if he was alright, and asked him to please calm down.

THAT by FAR was the worse penguin game I ever was at.

and I know some of you have seen him. One of my other brothers had the chance to take a game in with him later in the season.
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JS© on Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:05 pm

make a buffalo snacker out of them

unless that dude worked for KFC, that makes no sense. I'm not even sure if it makes sense if he did work for KFC. Besides, the buffalo snacker sucked.

Can I use it in a GDT sometime this year? :wink:
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:18 pm

JS© wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I think i've been at a Devils blowout over the pens, I wanna say 8-0

The Madden/McKay 4 goals a piece game?

Thats definitely the one. Somewhere around 6 goals though, the entertainment value sky rockets again, because you want to see how many they can score.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby fourtKNOX on Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:02 pm

JS© wrote:
make a buffalo snacker out of them

unless that dude worked for KFC, that makes no sense. I'm not even sure if it makes sense if he did work for KFC. Besides, the buffalo snacker sucked.

Can I use it in a GDT sometime this year? :wink:

well im glad it wasnt just my family saying what the heck with that quote... and i have no problem with you using it however i may drop dead on hearing it!
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SteelTown66 on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:16 pm

tombarrassorules wrote:the night the pens brought back the logo they have now (it was their third jerseys then). they lost 9-0 to the devils. the devils. this was like 2000. the devils scored 9 goals. the new jersey devils.

My pick as well. 2 different players scored HT for the Devils. I stayed until the end just to say I did. It was the first and only time I considered leaving early.
SteelTown66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby duke66 on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:26 pm

SteelTown66 wrote:
tombarrassorules wrote:the night the pens brought back the logo they have now (it was their third jerseys then). they lost 9-0 to the devils. the devils. this was like 2000. the devils scored 9 goals. the new jersey devils.

My pick as well. 2 different players scored HT for the Devils. I stayed until the end just to say I did. It was the first and only time I considered leaving early.

...i wasn't at this game, but based on the number of responses this appears to be one of, if not THE worst game in penguins history!!...
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens9192 on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:56 pm

RedLightDistrict wrote:May 17, 1999.

Game 6, OT loss vs. Toronto.

We walked out of the Igloo that night not knowing if that was the last Penguins game in Pittsburgh.

Eerie, empty feeling exiting the Igloo that night. Never attended another sporting event like it.

I was also there for this game and I agree with that feeling. Almost utter despair. If I remember right, most of the fans were dead quiet exiting the concourses. It was like we were marching on death row.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins