Fedotenko vs. Pesonen

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Fedotenko vs. Pesonen

Postby Barracuda on Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:06 pm

I remember seeing in a thread (can't remember which one) that someone was ticked that everyone is penciling Fedotenko in as a 1st line winger. I do not have a problem with this since everyone knows he's capable of scoring 20+ goals.

What I don't understand is why people expect Pesonen to come in and play on either Crosby or Malkin's wing. This man has been drafted before but is yet to play in a NHL game. I just don't understand this, please let me know if I'm missing something.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing him emerge as a top 6 forward, but I just dont see it happening.
Barracuda
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Fedotenko vs. Pesonen

Postby emptyfriend on Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:17 pm

Barracuda wrote:I remember seeing in a thread (can't remember which one) that someone was ticked that everyone is penciling Fedotenko in as a 1st line winger. I do not have a problem with this since everyone knows he's capable of scoring 20+ goals.

What I don't understand is why people expect Pesonen to come in and play on either Crosby or Malkin's wing. This man has been drafted before but is yet to play in a NHL game. I just don't understand this, please let me know if I'm missing something.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing him emerge as a top 6 forward, but I just dont see it happening.

You don't see it happening because it WON'T happen. Pesonen = Dopita......
emptyfriend
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby littlemoonboot on Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:45 pm

What I don't understand is why anyone is making any proclamations either way. Will he be a first line winger? Or will he suck? Who knows? Let's just wish him the best and hope it goes well!
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Scott on Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:53 pm

Barracuda wrote:I remember seeing in a thread (can't remember which one) that someone was ticked that everyone is penciling Fedotenko in as a 1st line winger. I do not have a problem with this since everyone knows he's capable of scoring 20+ goals.

It's not that they are saying he is going to play with Sidney and put in 50 goals. He is the star in his current league and if he plays for the Pens, it will be on a top 6 spot or really nothing. He is not going to play with the Baby Pens. He is going to shine some place no matter what. Either with the Pens (meaning playing with Crosby or Malkin) or back to his current situation.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Barracuda on Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:12 pm

Scott wrote:

It's not that they are saying he is going to play with Sidney and put in 50 goals. He is the star in his current league and if he plays for the Pens, it will be on a top 6 spot or really nothing. He is not going to play with the Baby Pens. He is going to shine some place no matter what. Either with the Pens (meaning playing with Crosby or Malkin) or back to his current situation.

I guess that's true, I doubt he'll be playing on the lower line since he doesn't sound like a big hitter or grinder.

Man, that puts a lot of pressure on him. He's going for all or nothing pretty much.
Barracuda
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby JoseCuervo on Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:14 pm

Currently, you can't say either of them are "worthy" to play with Malkin or Sid. That doesn't matter though. Two elite centers can't have two elite wingers each in cap-world.

It comes down to- Can Fedko play like a cheaper yet effective malone? And, does Pez have the potential to put the goal in the net as an upgrade from Dupuis?

You can't judge one better than the other, and all we can really say is Fedko is a veteran who plays a decent game, and Pez played great in Finland. It's upto MT where they actually play.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meow on Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:34 pm

I think Pesonen is just here to put a little pressure on the top 4 wingers to perform. I would rather see Fedetanko on Sid's wing than Pesonen, though. He has a better all around game and is a fairly balanced player. My prediction of Pesonen is that he starts in WBS and may get called-up when some injuries occur, but I doubt his game will translate to the NHL very well.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bhaw on Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:56 pm

meow wrote:I think Pesonen is just here to put a little pressure on the top 4 wingers to perform. I would rather see Fedetanko on Sid's wing than Pesonen, though. He has a better all around game and is a fairly balanced player. My prediction of Pesonen is that he starts in WBS and may get called-up when some injuries occur, but I doubt his game will translate to the NHL very well.

I don't think he will be in the AHL at all. From my understanding, it is NHL or back to Europe for him. (is that right?)

I could definitely see him starting on the 3rd line and being moved up as he leared the system and MT trusted him... just like he does with almost everyone.

I don't think it's Pesonen OR Fedotenko. Their games are so different that they serve different roles. I think it is more like Pesonen or Dupuis.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby guiner on Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:38 pm

littlemoonboot wrote:What I don't understand is why anyone is making any proclamations either way. Will he be a first line winger? Or will he suck? Who knows? Let's just wish him the best and hope it goes well!

Jeez, we can't do that. That would make sense.

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meow on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:06 pm

bhaw wrote:
meow wrote:I think Pesonen is just here to put a little pressure on the top 4 wingers to perform. I would rather see Fedetanko on Sid's wing than Pesonen, though. He has a better all around game and is a fairly balanced player. My prediction of Pesonen is that he starts in WBS and may get called-up when some injuries occur, but I doubt his game will translate to the NHL very well.

I don't think he will be in the AHL at all. From my understanding, it is NHL or back to Europe for him. (is that right?)

I could definitely see him starting on the 3rd line and being moved up as he leared the system and MT trusted him... just like he does with almost everyone.

I don't think it's Pesonen OR Fedotenko. Their games are so different that they serve different roles. I think it is more like Pesonen or Dupuis.

The only problem I have with him on the 3rd line is that, from what I've read, he has no grit. He supposedly gets knocked around over in Finland. A 3rd line winger should be sturdy and have high energy. And I think he signed a two-way deal, which would allow him to be in WBS at the seasons start.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kraftster on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:34 pm

bhaw wrote:

I don't think it's Pesonen OR Fedotenko. Their games are so different that they serve different roles. I think it is more like Pesonen or Dupuis or Bill Thomas.

Write it down.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SteelCityFan on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:36 pm

I think people are penciling Pez in on one of our top two lines simply out of hope. No one really knows what the guy is capable of yet in the NHL, but it sure is fun to think he can put in 25+ goals on a line with Sid. I like the idea of Fedko taking Malone's place on Geno's line. Here's to hoping!
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:58 am

as if the lines won't change a million times anyways...who cares?
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby gregor on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:30 pm

Pesonen needs to be photoshopped as Goldmember. you gotta dig the Gold helmet.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c5/Pesonen_Janne_Kärpät.jpg/240px-Pesonen_Janne_Kärpät.jpg[/img]

gregor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:53 pm

Pirjetta vs. Sourovy.

Yes, the conversation is that bad.
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Postby JoseCuervo on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:53 pm

I hope the pens make him feel welcome by changing all of their helmets to gold.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:41 pm

How would that make him feel welcome?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:41 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:How would that make him feel welcome?

gold helmets rule!
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:58 am

DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby gregor on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:41 pm

DelPen wrote:Image

that rocks!

w00t!!!!!!11!!!!1!!1!
gregor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:33 pm

I think the lines are going to go something like this:

Fedotenko - Crosby - Satan
Staal - Malkin - Sykora
Cooke - Talbot - Dupuis/Kennedy
Dupuis/? - ? - Kennedy/Godard
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:47 am

Bob McKenzie wrote:I think the lines are going to go something like this:

Staal - Malkin - Sykora

? = Taffe
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:58 am

Mongoose87 wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:I think the lines are going to go something like this:

Staal - Malkin - Sykora

? = Taffe

? = Beech
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:11 am

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the ?'s are answers that Shero makes during the season. I don't see this team looking the same at the deadline.

I downloaded Game 6 of the Pens vs. North Stars SCF game from iTunes yesterday and watched it. If you watch the team, it was evident the mix of youth/veterans the team had. The one thing that really stood out was that the Pens had 3 players that were excellent faceoff men (Francis, Trottier, and Gilhen). The Pens are missing some veteran presence on the team up front.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins