speculating on shanahan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby shmenguin on Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:21 am

beerman wrote:
columbia wrote:I would say the Detroit is the only model you should strive for if you want to WIN the Cup.

The Wings are even better now and the Pens - as of now - are not quite the team that lost in the finals. Of course the improvement of 4-5 key players could make up for that.

Having Kennedy - who would have been a tremendous asset on the 1981 squad - as a prominent 3rd liner is not the recipe for a cup winner. It seems obvious to me.

Detroit also has top players like Zetterberg and Franzen who are set to make 2.9 and 1.5 respectively this season. That makes it a hell of a lot easier to put together a really good 3rd line. Wait till those guys sign new deals and see what they put together on the 3rd line then.

think their 3rd line may include a cheap young prospect? hmmm....

and to the poster above...kennedy had a poor playoffs? how so? because he didn't score? he played with a well below average offensive center and wings who go from 3rd line to 4th line to healthy scratch.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby longtimefan on Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:38 am

I would say the Detroit is the only model you should strive for if you want to WIN the Cup.

The Wings are even better now and the Pens - as of now - are not quite the team that lost in the finals. Of course the improvement of 4-5 key players could make up for that.

Sorry if I missed something, but I haven't had time to read through the whole thread. This just struck me when I saw the opinion that the Detroit model was the only one to follow to WIN the Cup. A flavor of the month comment. Last year everybody was copying the Anaheim model as the way to WIN the Cup.

All credit to the Wings. However, winning their first Cup in six years, where they were able to avoid both Anaheim and San Jose out west, doesn't strike me as a threat to the '70's Canadiens as a dynasty. People love to re-write history, but they were no better then the third choice to come out of their conference at the start of the playoffs. Now they rank amongst the great dynasties of our time! I tend to find that amusing.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:16 pm

longtimefan wrote:
I would say the Detroit is the only model you should strive for if you want to WIN the Cup.

Sorry if I missed something, but I haven't had time to read through the whole thread. This just struck me when I saw the opinion that the Detroit model was the only one to follow to WIN the Cup. A flavor of the month comment. Last year everybody was copying the Anaheim model as the way to WIN the Cup.

All credit to the Wings. However, winning their first Cup in six years, where they were able to avoid both Anaheim and San Jose out west, doesn't strike me as a threat to the '70's Canadiens as a dynasty. People love to re-write history, but they were no better then the third choice to come out of their conference at the start of the playoffs. Now they rank amongst the great dynasties of our time! I tend to find that amusing.

Not to mention that they are following the exact same model that the pens are basically following, only they've been doing it longer and have a strong history of drafting. The penguins new leadership is...well, too new to have proven anything but they look like they are going in the right direction.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:23 pm

longtimefan wrote:

Good Lord.

It's about being able to put together a team with top-quality players at every level of the lineup. Players who can excel at their respective roles within the lineup structure.

Given that, he is clearly the weakest link on the team as a 3rd-liner.

Quality = Effort x Skillz

Kennedy has a lot of the first, but....

Players like Talbot (at least on the Pens) defy reasonable expectations because their intangibles enhance both their tremendous effort and legitimate skill level. The result is a player who can fulfill every role asked of him. He's the perfect role player.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins