speculating on shanahan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Pitts on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:38 am

No interest whatsoEVER! look at the Pen's lineup. It is SOLID and there is really no room for an over the hill horse.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,694
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby bhaw on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:38 am

I don't see much need for him. Our PP unit is full of guys without taking into account any of the current guys who may step up this year. Unless we use two units equally, which I am not a fan of because it's nearly impossible to give 2 units equal time.

I think he could bring something to the team, but after watching his playoff performance, it seems like we would have him for the regular season then have to replace him in the playoffs with someone who has some energy left. I don't like that idea either.... especially if he was taking a spot on the PP.

If I were Shero, I would go into camp with what I have. If there are concerns in camp that guys aren't fitting in or playing at the level needed then go after Shanny.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,003
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: speculating on shanahan

Postby duke66 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:45 am

columbia wrote:As reported elsewhere on this board, Sundin seems close to signing w/ the NYR. That would seem to mean Shanny is out with the Rangers.
Especially considering the apparent open cap space until Whitney returns, I think he is worth a chance at ~ 1.2 M.
In anticipation of the "NO!" responses, you'd rather count on Kennedy (who appears to have no discernible skills)?



...i live 90 mins from TO and i can tell u i have heard nothing of sundin signing with the rangers...that is pure bunk...could it happen yes, but is he about to, NO...
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,411
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: The Promised Land - @dukewall66

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:54 am

Invite him to camp for a try-out, Adam Hall-style.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,908
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:04 pm
Location: The breakfast table of TRIUMPH!

Postby penny lane on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:56 am

shanahan certainly can prove me wrong, but after watching him closely in the play-offs, his best asset, his shot is fading.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,642
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Have fun, kick butt!

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:58 am

1. Sundin won't sign with the Rangers unless they get rid of Gomez, and no team would want that salary

2. TK is better than Shanny at this point in their respective careers

3. Shanahan is skating with one foot in the grave. He can't keep up with the rest of the pens, so he isn't worth a 1 mil risk.

Real question though, I know we have lots of depth round 3rd liners, but why is cooke always being penciled in for 4th line duty? He's definitely better than that and I'd love to have him on the ice a good deal.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,809
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:20 pm
Location: Dallas

Postby bhaw on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:01 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:1. Sundin won't sign with the Rangers unless they get rid of Gomez, and no team would want that salary

2. TK is better than Shanny at this point in their respective careers

3. Shanahan is skating with one foot in the grave. He can't keep up with the rest of the pens, so he isn't worth a 1 mil risk.

Real question though, I know we have lots of depth round 3rd liners, but why is cooke always being penciled in for 4th line duty? He's definitely better than that and I'd love to have him on the ice a good deal.


I think he sees 3rd line duty for the most part... esp if staal plays top 6.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,003
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:08 pm

Real question though, I know we have lots of depth round 3rd liners, but why is cooke always being penciled in for 4th line duty? He's definitely better than that and I'd love to have him on the ice a good deal.


You already answered the question. It depends on how they configure the top two lines more than anything. If Staal and/or Pesonen end up playing top six roles, they pushes at least one of Dupuis and Fedotenko down to the third line, if not both. Plus you also have Talbot and Kennedy in the mix along with Cooke. In the more likely scenario that Pesonen doesn't make the team and Staal starts as third line center, Cooke's spot on the third line should be pretty secured. Given the fluid nature of the lines, I'd expect to see Cooke spend time on both the third and fourth lines, dictated by his performance. If he's inconsistent with his play and takes bad penalties like Ruutu did, he's going to be a fourth liner.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:20 pm

What I like about this team is that our lines our pretty much 1a, 1b, 3a, and 3b despite not having strong top six depth.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,809
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:20 pm
Location: Dallas

Postby Eismann on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:41 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
Real question though, I know we have lots of depth round 3rd liners, but why is cooke always being penciled in for 4th line duty? He's definitely better than that and I'd love to have him on the ice a good deal.


You already answered the question. It depends on how they configure the top two lines more than anything. If Staal and/or Pesonen end up playing top six roles, they pushes at least one of Dupuis and Fedotenko down to the third line, if not both. Plus you also have Talbot and Kennedy in the mix along with Cooke. In the more likely scenario that Pesonen doesn't make the team and Staal starts as third line center, Cooke's spot on the third line should be pretty secured. Given the fluid nature of the lines, I'd expect to see Cooke spend time on both the third and fourth lines, dictated by his performance. If he's inconsistent with his play and takes bad penalties like Ruutu did, he's going to be a fourth liner.


Almost anything that gets Staal off the 3rd line will be good. Please let it be wing with Geno.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,687
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: Less obnoxious, brainless rehab addict chick

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:45 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:What I like about this team is that our lines our pretty much 1a, 1b, 3a, and 3b despite not having strong top six depth.


Translation: what you like about this team is Sid and Geno.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,908
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:04 pm
Location: The breakfast table of TRIUMPH!

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:48 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:What I like about this team is that our lines our pretty much 1a, 1b, 3a, and 3b despite not having strong top six depth.


Translation: what you like about this team is Sid and Geno.


Yea, but also the depth in dupuis fedko TK cooke and talbot, maybe even Pez
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,809
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:20 pm
Location: Dallas

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:49 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:What I like about this team is that our lines our pretty much 1a, 1b, 3a, and 3b despite not having strong top six depth.


Translation: what you like about this team is Sid and Geno.


I don't think that's what he's saying but I also don't agree with him completely. This team isn't just Crosby and Malkin and they DO have good depth. There's always this perception that you have to have two good centers and four 25+ goal scorers on the wings of your top two lines. No team in the league can pull that off. As far as what the Pens have in the top six, they have arguably the top two centers in the league and easily the top one-two center combo in the league. No team can match that. They've got two likely 25+ goal scorers in Sykora and Satan. They've got two probably ~20 goal guys in Fedotenko and Dupuis if they spend significant time on the top two lines. And that's not even taking into account Staal, who probably will force his way into the top six at some point, plus maybe Pesonen if he works out. Plus guys like Talbot and Kennedy who can be plugged up there when necessary. I think few teams in the league even approach the Pens' forward depth and it's why they'll have not only two good top lines but also two good bottom lines. A checking group consisting of some combination of Staal, Talbot, Kennedy, Cooke, Dupuis, Fedotenko, maybe Stone is hard to match itself.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Postby Eismann on Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:01 pm

Dean Hannah's Barn
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,687
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: Less obnoxious, brainless rehab addict chick

Postby André on Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:25 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:What I like about this team is that our lines our pretty much 1a, 1b, 3a, and 3b despite not having strong top six depth.


Translation: what you like about this team is Sid and Geno.


I don't think that's what he's saying but I also don't agree with him completely. This team isn't just Crosby and Malkin and they DO have good depth. There's always this perception that you have to have two good centers and four 25+ goal scorers on the wings of your top two lines. No team in the league can pull that off. As far as what the Pens have in the top six, they have arguably the top two centers in the league and easily the top one-two center combo in the league. No team can match that. They've got two likely 25+ goal scorers in Sykora and Satan. They've got two probably ~20 goal guys in Fedotenko and Dupuis if they spend significant time on the top two lines. And that's not even taking into account Staal, who probably will force his way into the top six at some point, plus maybe Pesonen if he works out. Plus guys like Talbot and Kennedy who can be plugged up there when necessary. I think few teams in the league even approach the Pens' forward depth and it's why they'll have not only two good top lines but also two good bottom lines. A checking group consisting of some combination of Staal, Talbot, Kennedy, Cooke, Dupuis, Fedotenko, maybe Stone is hard to match itself.


Nice post but I'd never call Dupuis probable at 20 goals even if he plays with Sid most of the time. In ~25 games with Sid and Hossa he scored like 4 goals?

True though we can't demand 4 great scorers for Sid and Geno. Satan, Sykora, Staal and perhaps Fedetenko is not too shabby.
Last edited by André on Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,333
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Gävle, Sweden

Postby André on Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:25 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:What I like about this team is that our lines our pretty much 1a, 1b, 3a, and 3b despite not having strong top six depth.


Translation: what you like about this team is Sid and Geno.


Yea, but also the depth in dupuis fedko TK cooke and talbot, maybe even Pez


From now on I'm calling Pesonen Pez. Great nickname.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,333
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Gävle, Sweden

Postby cs6687 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:29 pm

André wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:What I like about this team is that our lines our pretty much 1a, 1b, 3a, and 3b despite not having strong top six depth.


Translation: what you like about this team is Sid and Geno.


Yea, but also the depth in dupuis fedko TK cooke and talbot, maybe even Pez


From now on I'm calling Pesonen Pez. Great nickname.


Good day. But, Pez? I say good day!
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,188
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:02 pm

Postby Doogs on Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:14 pm

Mario's coming back????

WAHHOOOOOOO!!!!!

Is he in the best shape of his life?????

WAAAAHHHOOOOO!!!!!


Oh, wait, that was sarcasm.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,939
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:29 pm
Location: Wexford

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:10 pm


Nice post but I'd never call Dupuis probable at 20 goals even if he plays with Sid most of the time. In ~25 games with Sid and Hossa he scored like 4 goals?


He scored 20+ goals in the past and had something like 14 as a third line type of player in 06-07. I don't think 20 in a full season with Crosby/Malkin is out of the question. His goal output with the Pens was disappointing, but I wouldn't look at the playoffs in terms of projecting regular season production because it's a different beast. He probably played, what, 10 games at most with Crosby and Hossa in the regular season?

It's all splitting hairs because if you're getting 40-50 from both Crosby and Malkin, ~25 from Sykora and Satan, and 15-20 from Dupuis and Fedotenko, you're well above most teams in the league. And again, not even counting Staal and in a best case scenario Pesonen.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Postby André on Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:45 pm

Henry Hank wrote:

Nice post but I'd never call Dupuis probable at 20 goals even if he plays with Sid most of the time. In ~25 games with Sid and Hossa he scored like 4 goals?


He scored 20+ goals in the past and had something like 14 as a third line type of player in 06-07. I don't think 20 in a full season with Crosby/Malkin is out of the question. His goal output with the Pens was disappointing, but I wouldn't look at the playoffs in terms of projecting regular season production because it's a different beast. He probably played, what, 10 games at most with Crosby and Hossa in the regular season?

It's all splitting hairs because if you're getting 40-50 from both Crosby and Malkin, ~25 from Sykora and Satan, and 15-20 from Dupuis and Fedotenko, you're well above most teams in the league. And again, not even counting Staal and in a best case scenario Pesonen.


Yeah. Yours and Kicksave's posts have me more optimistic about the scoring. I'm greedy though and want another, less of a gamle, top six winger :D
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,333
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Gävle, Sweden

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:43 pm

André wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:What I like about this team is that our lines our pretty much 1a, 1b, 3a, and 3b despite not having strong top six depth.


Translation: what you like about this team is Sid and Geno.


Yea, but also the depth in dupuis fedko TK cooke and talbot, maybe even Pez


From now on I'm calling Pesonen Pez. Great nickname.


I hope he dispenses goals.

Can someone photoshop a Pez dispenser?
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,809
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:20 pm
Location: Dallas

Postby columbia on Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:59 pm

Does anyone actually believe that the Pens can WIN the Stanley Cup with Kennedy on the 3rd line.

I know all about the value of role players and Talbot, Dupuis and Cooke will do their parts this year.

I know all about the value of energy and effort when it comes to fore checking and back checking. The Pens had a rental player like that last year, but he happened to possess just a few more skills than Mr. Kennedy.

Someone please explain why we should be excited about Kennedy on the third line.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,362
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby penny lane on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:32 pm

columbia wrote:Does anyone actually believe that the Pens can WIN the Stanley Cup with Kennedy on the 3rd line.

I know all about the value of role players and Talbot, Dupuis and Cooke will do their parts this year.

I know all about the value of energy and effort when it comes to fore checking and back checking. The Pens had a rental player like that last year, but he happened to possess just a few more skills than Mr. Kennedy.

Someone please explain why we should be excited about Kennedy on the third line.


The rental player also wasn't here for 3rd line duty. The Rental player arrived with the label of chronic play-off underachiever. Comparing him to Kennedy doesn't seem fair. Last year Colby/EC were seeing 1st /2nd and 3rd line duty, until February. Even those 2 were able to help keep the pens in play-off contention~ minus Sid and Flower. Just like last September, GM Shero probably isn't looking at his play-off roster.

First concerns are making sure everybody arrives healthy for camp.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,642
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Have fun, kick butt!

Postby columbia on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:36 pm

penny lane wrote:
columbia wrote:Does anyone actually believe that the Pens can WIN the Stanley Cup with Kennedy on the 3rd line.

I know all about the value of role players and Talbot, Dupuis and Cooke will do their parts this year.

I know all about the value of energy and effort when it comes to fore checking and back checking. The Pens had a rental player like that last year, but he happened to possess just a few more skills than Mr. Kennedy.

Someone please explain why we should be excited about Kennedy on the third line.


The rental player also wasn't here for 3rd line duty. The Rental player arrived with the label of chronic play-off underachiever. Comparing him to Kennedy doesn't seem fair. Last year Colby/EC were seeing 1st /2nd and 3rd line duty, until February. Even those 2 were able to help keep the pens in play-off contention~ minus Sid and Flower. Just like last September, GM Shero probably isn't looking at his play-off roster.

First concerns are making sure everybody arrives healthy for camp.


That's fair, but are you honestly looking forward to seeing Kennedy getting routine 3rd line time?

I'm sure someone can produce an example, but I haven't seen anyone post a proposed lineup that didn't include him in that spot.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,362
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby shmenguin on Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:28 pm

columbia wrote:
penny lane wrote:
columbia wrote:Does anyone actually believe that the Pens can WIN the Stanley Cup with Kennedy on the 3rd line.

I know all about the value of role players and Talbot, Dupuis and Cooke will do their parts this year.

I know all about the value of energy and effort when it comes to fore checking and back checking. The Pens had a rental player like that last year, but he happened to possess just a few more skills than Mr. Kennedy.

Someone please explain why we should be excited about Kennedy on the third line.


The rental player also wasn't here for 3rd line duty. The Rental player arrived with the label of chronic play-off underachiever. Comparing him to Kennedy doesn't seem fair. Last year Colby/EC were seeing 1st /2nd and 3rd line duty, until February. Even those 2 were able to help keep the pens in play-off contention~ minus Sid and Flower. Just like last September, GM Shero probably isn't looking at his play-off roster.

First concerns are making sure everybody arrives healthy for camp.


That's fair, but are you honestly looking forward to seeing Kennedy getting routine 3rd line time?

I'm sure someone can produce an example, but I haven't seen anyone post a proposed lineup that didn't include him in that spot.


kennedy is a great 3rd liner. if you think differently, you must not have watched the playoffs.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,807
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bathgate, E-Ramone, Great58, ivand87, murphydump55, no name, Pruezy11881, themadstork and 35 guests


e-mail