Penguins Permission to create logo

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Penguins Permission to create logo

Postby Senka on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:25 am

Im looking to make a sticker for my car window, and the company wont do it because it is copyrighted. it said i needed the permission of the penguins

Look... im not dumb, i realize legally i need that -- but how can i really get it. Do you think they will charge me anything if they do allow me to? Its only a 2'x2' sticker for my car... its not like im trying to make a profit...

thanks.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:32 am

You can make one all you want as long as you do not sell it. You could even make one for your friends as long as they just supply materials and you don;t charge them.

But what won't happen is a company recreating it for you. Even if it's not a violation of copyright laws it's better for them to have a blanket "no" policy. Kinko's wouldn;t even copy bootleg covers for me in color and told me to do it myself on a color copier.

Your best bet is to find an online site where you can upload the picture and get the stick back by mail. They probably won't care what you send in.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Senka on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:27 am

Well the company will do it if i get permission, and i just didnt kno if i could call the pens head office or anything... idk.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:36 am

They would probably let you do it if you sign some sort of waiver stating that it is only for your own personal use. I see plenty of "unofficial" vehicles with Steelers logos painted on them. You should start by calling their marketing department and asking for the proper procedure. You should be able to do it all by fax.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Doogs on Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:16 pm

They should sell them anyway.

Marketing tools!!! :evil:
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Senka on Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:56 pm

Dear Andy,

Thank you for writing.

We are very sorry, but we are unable to authorize the company making a
reproduction of our logo for your vehicle. We do appreciate your
support and are sorry that we cannot help with your request.

Sincerely,

The Pittsburgh Penguins

Thank you front office people... you guys suck.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kaizer on Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:06 pm

Senka wrote:
Dear Andy,

Thank you for writing.

Sincerely,

The Pittsburgh Penguins

LETS GET EM
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Senka on Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:09 pm

i made one 3 years ago while in high school graphics class for my old car. it cost me like $4 to make in materials... so I think i might just go make a new one. I'm kinda upset they shut the door on my face. I dont see what the big deal is...

It'd be different if they actually made them... but they only sell one thats like 8" x 8"...
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:13 pm

Senka wrote:
Dear Andy,

Thank you for writing.

Sincerely,

The Pittsburgh Penguins

Well...

In your face
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jerez on Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:20 pm

If they give you permission, they have no guarantee you won't make up a bunch and sell them, thus infringing on their copyright. I'm sure their lawyers would seriously frown on any sort of exception to the policy. These laws are there to protect copyrights (not just large organizations, but also the "little guys" like professional photographers! :wink: )

If you can figure out how to do it yourself (once) and make it, nobody's going to follow your car and sue you! I made a big one for the back of my brother's van; he had it there until the van broke down.
Jerez
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:34 pm

Dick's was selling the larger sized magnet logos a while back. I bought one for the hood of my truck and kept it there all season. It's on the garage fridge right now waiting for hockey season again!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jerez on Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:38 pm

Pitts wrote:Dick's was selling the larger sized magnet logos a while back. I bought one for the hood of my truck and kept it there all season. It's on the garage fridge right now waiting for hockey season again!

Another reason I miss Pittsburgh :cry: I put a dog paw magnet on the back of my vehicle, and it got ripped off. I put another one on, it got stolen, too. And MCM had one on his vehicle, and it got stolen in his work parking lot! Why would people steal a dog paw magnet???
Jerez
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:42 pm

Jerez wrote:
Pitts wrote:Dick's was selling the larger sized magnet logos a while back. I bought one for the hood of my truck and kept it there all season. It's on the garage fridge right now waiting for hockey season again!

Another reason I miss Pittsburgh :cry: I put a dog paw magnet on the back of my vehicle, and it got ripped off. I put another one on, it got stolen, too. And MCM had one on his vehicle, and it got stolen in his work parking lot! Why would people steal a dog paw magnet???

They like dog paws? :)

Seriously though, If i were parked in a more crowded parking lot, or had a feeling about it, I would simply take the magnet off and put it in the ride until I got back. :wink:
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ron` on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:02 pm

Jerez wrote:If they give you permission, they have no guarantee you won't make up a bunch and sell them, thus infringing on their copyright. I'm sure their lawyers would seriously frown on any sort of exception to the policy. These laws are there to protect copyrights (not just large organizations, but also the "little guys" like professional photographers! :wink: )

If you can figure out how to do it yourself (once) and make it, nobody's going to follow your car and sue you! I made a big one for the back of my brother's van; he had it there until the van broke down.
By the River?
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RedLightDistrict on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:33 pm

DelPen wrote:You can make one all you want as long as you do not sell it. You could even make one for your friends as long as they just supply materials and you don;t charge them.

But what won't happen is a company recreating it for you. Even if it's not a violation of copyright laws it's better for them to have a blanket "no" policy. Kinko's wouldn;t even copy bootleg covers for me in color and told me to do it myself on a color copier.

Your best bet is to find an online site where you can upload the picture and get the stick back by mail. They probably won't care what you send in.

Can't you BUY such a sticker?

And I believe (though I'm not an IP attorney) that you can't use it for your own even if you don't sell it. They still own the right to the image.
RedLightDistrict

Postby Noise on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:29 pm

Make a stencil and do it yourself. It isn't like it's that complicated.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Penguins Permission to create logo

Postby DMcGrew on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:57 pm

Senka wrote:Im looking to make a sticker for my car window, and the company wont do it because it is copyrighted. it said i needed the permission of the penguins

Look... im not dumb, i realize legally i need that -- but how can i really get it. Do you think they will charge me anything if they do allow me to? Its only a 2'x2' sticker for my car... its not like im trying to make a profit...

thanks.

Find a local sign or car lettering/decal shop. They'll do anything. I got a Hendrick Motorsports logo made for my car at the Carick Sign Shop. They charged me (yeah that pobably wasn't legal) $10 for about 6 decals. The Carick Sign Shop is on Brownsville Rd.. well at least it was 3 years ago.
DMcGrew
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LdubsRoot23 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:46 pm

RedLightDistrict wrote:
DelPen wrote:You can make one all you want as long as you do not sell it. You could even make one for your friends as long as they just supply materials and you don;t charge them.

Can't you BUY such a sticker?

And I believe (though I'm not an IP attorney) that you can't use it for your own even if you don't sell it. They still own the right to the image.

you can make your own as long as you aren't just using a pens image off their site. it has to be your work...
LdubsRoot23
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:05 pm

You know what I would like?

A Tervis Tumbler cup with a Pens logo on it. I have a Clemson Tiger Paw version, and I would love to partake in cold adult beverages this season in an insulated, condensation free Tervis Tumbler. But alas, no licensing agreement with the NHL.

Wake up GB!
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pinboy87 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:47 pm

Most sign shops will not make such a logo unless you are a "friendly" - somebody they know and trust.

The sign shop would be the ones in trouble if anyone decided to press charges (although unlikely)

It is the sign shop that the Pens do not want making anything. I was once employed by an authorized Penguins merchandizer and EVERYTHING had to go before the board for approval.

Find a friend who knows somebody at a sign shop and get them to order it for you. That is your best bet. Oh, and a sign shop that is NO WHERE NEAR Pittsburgh might be more willing to supply such a graphic.
pinboy87
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jerez on Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:05 pm

Jake wrote:
Jerez wrote:If they give you permission, they have no guarantee you won't make up a bunch and sell them, thus infringing on their copyright. I'm sure their lawyers would seriously frown on any sort of exception to the policy. These laws are there to protect copyrights (not just large organizations, but also the "little guys" like professional photographers! :wink: )

?

LMAO :twisted:

Hmmm, come to think of it, my brother is a little scary sometimes....
Jerez
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:04 pm

pinboy87 wrote: Oh, and a sign shop that is NO WHERE NEAR Pittsburgh might be more willing to supply such a graphic.

Heh -- are you going to Myrtle Beach soon? No one will know what the logo is down here, at least up in Conway.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:16 pm

Really? I was down in Myrtle last week and it seemed like there was Pittsburgh stuff everywhere, I got several comments on my playoff giveaway shirts and our steelers stuff. This wasn't just on the beach, it was all over the area in both the touristy bars and the out of the way bars and whereever else I was when I was drunkenly wandering.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:15 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Really? I was down in Myrtle last week and it seemed like there was Pittsburgh stuff everywhere, I got several comments on my playoff giveaway shirts and our steelers stuff. This wasn't just on the beach, it was all over the area in both the touristy bars and the out of the way bars and whereever else I was when I was drunkenly wandering.

Yeah, after second thought you may want to head away from Myrtle Beach to Conway or farther away from where transplants move. I'm sure the sign shop here in town (2 hours from Myrtle) would have no idea what the Penguins was.

I think I've mentioned this before on here, but my 2 year old son wore his Pens ballcap to daycare during the playoffs last spring. The daycare manager commented "I love that hat with the bird and the stick on it! Where did you get it?"

:?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins