Third jersey question

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Third jersey question

Postby NJ5934 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:01 am

I've noticed that alot of the teams in the past have reached out to the fans and season ticket holders regarding the design of the third jersey. Being that I don't live in the area, I was curious if the team has reached out at all to any of the season ticket holders regarding input for the new third jersey, or is it all still mystery at this point?

I also read Buffalo has modified the jersey they wore at the winter classic to incorporate some of the 2008 'flavor' into it. I personally love this idea. As much as I loved the Pens winter classic jersey, I would be more than happy if they left the jersey connected forever with that particular event and designed a completely new blue jersey to wear as a third for this season.

You would think from a marketing standpoint, a new jersey would be a slam dunk, simply because the opportunity comes along so rarely, but then again all the indication I've read is that the Pens will introduce the same exact jersey they wore in Buffalo. I think a completely new jersey is appropriate and more exciting. Any thoughts?
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby demondg1 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:12 am

If the team is to have a blue jersey, I'd rather it be a throwback. This team's colors are black and gold. Not blue and white.

If the team were to make any alterations to the jersey, I would hope it's to the beak on the logo. That thing is scary. The modern beak is much nicer.

From what I hear, Buffalo's new thirds will essentially be the dark jerseys worn pre-goat head. However the blue will be their new navy blue and the classic sabres logo will have silver added to it. Sounds real good to me. Look for these to completely replace the slug jerseys in a year or 2.
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:45 am

No, their colors should be black and gold.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby demondg1 on Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:44 am

tombarrassorules wrote:
If the team is to have a blue jersey, I'd rather it be a throwback. This team's colors are black and gold. Not blue and white.

their colors should be blue and white not black and gold. cheap marketing ploy. bring it back.

i thought for sure when the sabres changed their uniforms two years ago they'd go back to the old logo, but instead they went with a logo worse than that goat head. i wouldnt be surprised if their third was a buffalo wing with celery sticks crossed in front of it. who designs their uniforms anyway? stevie wonder?

Sadly the RBK creative team designed their logos and jerseys. The Sabres wanted to bring back their vintage look, but RBK insisted that the logo more vertical and that they couldn't put a large round logo on the Edge jersey system they were developing. As you've seen, the Ducks also introduced their logo which was mostly vertical as well. Thus, the Sabres were sort of forced the slug and the Ducks forced to use a word mark.
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Judy on Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:51 am

Let's just settle on these...

:roll:
Judy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby helmespc on Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:11 am

Speaking of the 3rd jerseys.... has anyone else gotten one of these "fake" winter classic jerseys that have been going around e-bay? I bought a Malkin one the other day knowing it was a fake because it looked pretty decent and I was just getting home from the bar, completely inebriated. When it arrived I was pretty surprised at how good the quality is. Its thick material with sewn on lettering and fight strap. All the colors are correct and it looks a helluvalot better than the "authentic replicas" Reebok was selling.

Here's the one I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130246246981&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=003

This guy had a blog about them:
http://penguinsthatfly.blogspot.com/2008/07/looking-for-hockey-jersey.html

They must have wisened up because they got the crest colors correct now. Weird... Oh well, fake or not... I'm pretty sure its the best quality jersey I've bought.
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:12 am

Judy wrote:Let's just settle on these...

:roll:

Some who remain away from us :wink: would like these because it isn't the power blue!

At least this year no huge drama like last with the RBK unis. :)

ps~ don't like the skinny legs.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:24 am

helmespc wrote:Speaking of the 3rd jerseys.... has anyone else gotten one of these "fake" winter classic jerseys that have been going around e-bay? I bought a Malkin one the other day knowing it was a fake because it looked pretty decent and I was just getting home from the bar, completely inebriated. When it arrived I was pretty surprised at how good the quality is. Its thick material with sewn on lettering and fight strap. All the colors are correct and it looks a helluvalot better than the "authentic replicas" Reebok was selling.

Here's the one I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130246246981&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=003

They must have wisened up because they got the crest colors correct now. Weird... Oh well, fake or not... I'm pretty sure its the best quality jersey I've bought.

they rule. 8-) i have the vegas gold crest, but i dont care. cheap and good quality = purchase.

canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby drtofu66 on Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:29 am

helmespc wrote:Speaking of the 3rd jerseys.... has anyone else gotten one of these "fake" winter classic jerseys that have been going around e-bay? I bought a Malkin one the other day knowing it was a fake because it looked pretty decent and I was just getting home from the bar, completely inebriated. When it arrived I was pretty surprised at how good the quality is. Its thick material with sewn on lettering and fight strap. All the colors are correct and it looks a helluvalot better than the "authentic replicas" Reebok was selling.

Here's the one I bought:

That's a really nice one. Looks like they fixed the Penguin logo-- not just the colors (mustard yellow instead of the vegas gold on the earlier knock-offs) but the shape of the Penguin head and beak seem more like the real ones. You got a great deal. I got a Crosby one and the stitch job of the lettering/numbers wasn't too good. Good enough for what I paid and I'm ok with it, but yours looks nicer.
drtofu66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby helmespc on Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:04 pm

they rule. Cool i have the vegas gold crest, but i dont care. cheap and good quality = purchase.

Thats pretty much how I feel.... I don't really care about having an "official" replica jersey... its kind of pointless... if someone's putting out a better quality product that isn't officially licensed for cheaper.... they've got my business...
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins