losses vs gains

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Why So Serious? on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:02 am

To sum everything up. In my opinion, Ray Shero did the best he could with his situation. He used his money very wisely and thank God he is unlike other GM's around the NHL, who overspend for overrated players.

He loses Hossa and picks up Satan. And going hand in hand will be J.Staal's resurgence. Satan and Staal combined can come very close to what Hossa provided in the stretch run and the playoffs last year.

Shero loses Malone, he goes out and picks up Fedotenko. He may not be as effective as Malone, but he is another big body that can get in front of the net on the PP and get into high traffic areas.

Shero loses Ruutu, he goes out and picks up Cooke. Cooke is a definite upgrade from Ruutu, in my opinion. He is an agitator, a grinder, and just downright gets under the opponent's skin. On top of that, he could probably end up netting between 10-15.

Shero loses Laraque, picks up Godard. Not as strong nor as good a fighter as Laraque. But he is more than adequate as a replacement for BGL.

Shero loses Hall, Roberts, and picks up Janne Pesonen. All 3 play different games, however scoring and potential-wise, Pesonen beats out Hall and Roberts. But, you can never have enough experience and grit, which we lose a lot of when losing these 2.

All in all, a very successful offseason in my opinion. Shero didn't overpay for anyone, yet, made the best of the situation. The new faces will be just fine in a Pens uni. And I expect a huge year from Satan. Maybe something around 35 goals.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:06 am

ffemtreed wrote:Malone can easily be replaced be anyone who is willing to work hard and play in the corners and front of the net.

Colby Armstrong, P Dupuis, are examples of this, but what Malone has done even without sid nor evgeni around was have the hands to score goals once in front of the net.

ryan malone will be missed during the season run to the play-offs ... his presence, bigger body helped give Evgeni and Sykora room.

But new season with new players who also could find their chemistry with Sid and Evgeni.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:06 am

Why So Serious? wrote:To sum everything up. In my opinion, Ray Shero did the best he could with his situation. He used his money very wisely and thank God he is unlike other GM's around the NHL, who overspend for overrated players.

He loses Hossa and picks up Satan. And going hand in hand will be J.Staal's resurgence. Satan and Staal combined can come very close to what Hossa provided in the stretch run and the playoffs last year.

Shero loses Malone, he goes out and picks up Fedotenko. He may not be as effective as Malone, but he is another big body that can get in front of the net on the PP and get into high traffic areas.

Shero loses Ruutu, he goes out and picks up Cooke. Cooke is a definite upgrade from Ruutu, in my opinion. He is an agitator, a grinder, and just downright gets under the opponent's skin. On top of that, he could probably end up netting between 10-15.

Shero loses Laraque, picks up Godard. Not as strong nor as good a fighter as Laraque. But he is more than adequate as a replacement for BGL.

Shero loses Hall, Roberts, and picks up Janne Pesonen. All 3 play different games, however scoring and potential-wise, Pesonen beats out Hall and Roberts. But, you can never have enough experience and grit, which we lose a lot of when losing these 2.

All in all, a very successful offseason in my opinion. Shero didn't overpay for anyone, yet, made the best of the situation. The new faces will be just fine in a Pens uni. And I expect a huge year from Satan. Maybe something around 35 goals.

Good post....AWESOME NAME!!

In all the good in that post you didn't mention that he inked Malkin, Orpik AND Fleury to long term deals. Add that to your post and Shero deserves a medal....
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Why So Serious? on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:10 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:To sum everything up. In my opinion, Ray Shero did the best he could with his situation. He used his money very wisely and thank God he is unlike other GM's around the NHL, who overspend for overrated players.

Good post....AWESOME NAME!!

In all the good in that post you didn't mention that he inked Malkin, Orpik AND Fleury to long term deals. Add that to your post and Shero deserves a medal....

Haha. Thanks man. Yea, I after I posted that, I knew I was forgetting to mention something else that was very important that Shero did this offseason. Thank you for covering that. I will let you take the credit for that. And yes, give Shero the gold medal.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:38 am

penny lane wrote:
ffemtreed wrote:Malone can easily be replaced be anyone who is willing to work hard and play in the corners and front of the net.

Colby Armstrong, P Dupuis, are examples of this, but what Malone has done even without sid nor evgeni around was have the hands to score goals once in front of the net.

ryan malone will be missed during the season run to the play-offs ... his presence, bigger body helped give Evgeni and Sykora room.

But new season with new players who also could find their chemistry with Sid and Evgeni.

"In Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs..."

every time I see your name that line runs through my head!

I agree about Malones hands and goal scoring ability. I think this is going to be what Shero is looking for come deadline day. Until then, who knows? Maybe Feds will have a bounce back season. Stanger things have happened....From the pouring rain, very strange.

:)
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:51 am

PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:lmao talk about black and gold Kool Aid

So your points of contention must be that:

a) Hossa is the only reason we made it to the playoffs
b) Malone is better than Satan
c) Roberts is better than Fedotenko
d) Hall was extremely important in getting us to the playoffs

You agreed on the others.

You wanted to deal with fact:

Fact: Hossa played a handful of regular season games for the Pens. If you remember, he got injured in his first game with the team and sat out for a couple weeks.

Fact: Roberts sat out almost the entire year with a broker leg, and when healthy, was a very ineffective lower line player at the beginning of the regular season.

Fact: Hall was regularly rotated out as a healthy scratch.

So even if I give you that Malone is better than Satan (which I don't... Malone was a terribly inconsistent player throughout his career and still barely put up respectable point totals with a center who dominated the league by a wide margin for months), you're saying that the team that got us through the regular season last year was better than the team we have now?

If you are comparing an opening day roster to the roster that ended game 6 of the finals, I am the one lmfao at how dumb that is.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:56 am

bhaw wrote:

Fact: Hossa played a handful of regular season games for the Pens. If you remember, he got injured in his first game with the team and sat out for a couple weeks.

Fact: Roberts sat out almost the entire year with a broker leg, and when healthy, was a very ineffective lower line player at the beginning of the regular season.

So even if I give you that Malone is better than Satan (which I don't... Malone was a terribly inconsistent player throughout his career and still barely put up respectable point totals with a center who dominated the league by a wide margin for months), you're saying that the team that got us through the regular season last year was better than the team we have now?

If you are comparing an opening day roster to the roster that ended game 6 of the finals, I am the one lmfao at how dumb that is.

PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:58 am

crosby wasn't even close to 95% at any point in the playoffs.

in the finals, malkin was at about 60-70%.

we were not healthy in the finals, so it's impossible to say how this team as constructed (and healthy) would do in the same situation.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:09 am

bhaw wrote:

More delusional homer glasses ranting. Can you even comprehend the English language? Scroll up on page one and try again....
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:11 am

shmenguin wrote:crosby wasn't even close to 95% at any point in the playoffs.

we were not healthy in the finals, so it's impossible to say how this team as constructed (and healthy) would do in the same situation.

one thing is for sure, nobody will get hurt this season, everybody will be 100% from start to finish. :roll:

Look, some clown started a hypothetical cheer leading thread and the minions all flocked to it. That's great. But people that are are suggesting that the team is better on paper then it was at game 6 of the finals are retarded. Plan and simple.
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Postby bhaw on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:15 am

PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
bhaw wrote:

More delusional homer glasses ranting. Can you even comprehend the English language? Scroll up on page one and try again....

All I see is a bunch of rambling about how your crappy opinion is infinitely better than everyone elses crappy opinion. That and a bunch of insults because you are incapable of addressing people like a normal human being.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby André on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:20 am

The current Pens team looks better than the one assembled one year ago.

It does not match the team from the finals though, imo.

Hossa and Malone > Satan and Fedetenko

Coklin > Sabu

One has to add Gill though, and perhaps even Eaton (depending on how you look at it). This combined with the probable development of the younger players makes it close, but I'd still say the cup finals team looked better on paper than the current squad.

Malone vs Fed could surprise us though. Malone was good but no superstar. We're yet to see how Fed look next to Sid or Geno.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:20 am

bhaw wrote:
bhaw wrote:

All I see is a bunch of rambling about how your crappy opinion is infinitely better than everyone elses crappy opinion. That and a bunch of insults because you are incapable of addressing people like a normal human being.

Start by reading this again:

DelPen wrote:
the team right now with Satan and Fedotenko AND a 100% Crosby will be better than the one that ended game 6 vs the Wings.

That's EX-ACT-LY like saying that: Satan, Fedotenko, Pesonan, Sabourin, Cooke, Godard, Eaton, and Taffe are BETTER than Conklin, Hossa, Malone, Ruutu, Roberts, Hall, Laraque, and Sydor.

Let's break it down:

Satan vs. Hossa = Hossa. If Hossa has a bad season and Satan has a career season, Hossa would still be better.

"Fed Ex" vs. Malone = Malone. If Fedotenko finishes the season with 10 more points than Malone, Malone would still be a more valuable player based on intangebles alone.

Pesonan vs. Roberts = Roberts. Pesonan wont be good enough to crack a scoring line or even the 3rd line, and Roberts is a FAR superior 4th liner.

Sabourin vs. Conklin = Conklin. The leagues leader in save percentage is much better.

Cooke vs. Ruutu = Cooke. It's very, very close. Practically a wash.

Godard vs. Larauqe = Laraque. Better fighter, better player.

Taffe vs. Hall = Hall. Better 4th line center.

Eaton vs. Sydor = Eaton. Here Eaton is the clear favorite.

Crosby was 100% in game 6.

If you understand now that the team is not better on paper then it was at game 6 last season, good for you.If not, oh well. The Pens could still have a great season and contend for the Cup, this is a fact. But don't blow smoke in my face and act like they are SO MUCH better now.
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Postby bhaw on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:28 am

Perhaps you could take your own advice and learn to read:

Conversely...

Satan vs Malone... edge to Satan for the points he will put up.
Fedotenko vs Roberts... since Roberts played like 18 minutes all of last year, I'll give it to Tank.
Cooke vs Ruutu... you give the edge to Cooke
Godard vs Laraque... Laraque, I agree, but a minimal role
Taffe vs Hall... Who cares? Hall didn't do anything until the playoffs anyways. He didn't even play in a lot of games including most of the playoffs until the last 2 rounds. Really... even if Hall is better, this will have almost 0 impact.
Eaton vs Sydor... You gave the edge to Eaton.

Left out:

Hossa - Did not even participate on the team until the end of the season after the regular season standings were pretty much wrapped up. Huge loss come playoffs, but who knows what this team will look like next spring. Comparing a season ending roster to an opening day roster is useless.

Pesonen - Can't be included because a) he may not make the team and b) all anyone knows about him comes from youtube, so there is no real info on the guy and how he will do. For all we know, he could be as good as Hossa or totally flop and not touch NHL ice.

I'm not even including any player development that you seem to think is meaningless.

I even bolded the line aknowledging that comparing opening day rosters to season ending rosters is pointless for you. My guess is that you were so busy trying to insult me that you didn't read that part and instead proceeded to tell me I can't read because that's what you do.

It is totally unfair to compare a season ending team to an opening day roster because of injuries, because guys like Malone can be giant question marks going into the season then put it together, and because a guy like Staal can go from being a huge offensive contributor to someone who is barely a threat.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:38 am

one thing is for sure, nobody will get hurt this season, everybody will be 100% from start to finish. :roll:

Look, some clown started a hypothetical cheer leading thread and the minions all flocked to it. That's great. But people that are are suggesting that the team is better on paper then it was at game 6 of the finals are retarded. Plan and simple.

...the point is that we were unusually un-healthy in the finals last year. it is not likely that malkin and crosby (and probably sykora) will be as messed up next year as they were last year. i'm not comparing rosters, i'm comparing the likely abilitites of this team vs. the actual abilities of last year's.

of course we had a better roster last year. no one can argue that they'd rather have this group over last year's. but can this team do better than last year's when taking into account player maturity and health? yes.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby André on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:46 am

shmenguin wrote:

...the point is that we were unusually un-healthy in the finals last year. it is not likely that malkin and crosby (and probably sykora) will be as messed up next year as they were last year. i'm not comparing rosters, i'm comparing the likely abilitites of this team vs. the actual abilities of last year's.

of course we had a better roster last year. no one can argue that they'd rather have this group over last year's. but can this team do better than last year's when taking into account player maturity and health? yes.

And no matter how frustrating it is there's no denying Malkin's injury was a huge factor during the finals.

Z/Datsyuk and Hossa/Crosby kind of took each other out and normally the Pens 2nd line should've been better than the wings'. With Malkin completely off his game that never happened though.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eberhard on Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:06 pm

eberhard wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:Let's break it down:
(snip)

You neglect the most significant year-over-year factor of all, by far. Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Staal, Letang, and Whitney will return another season closer to their enormous potential. It is beyond insignificant to worry about "issues" like Pesonen's potential corner work after watching these youngsters progress from a first-round out vs. Ottawa in 05/06 to butchering the East like a pig in 06/07.

Since moving to LA, I've had the chance to run with a group of guys who work in the front office of the Kings. When the subject of the Pens come up over beers, these NHL pols don't bother handicapping side issues like these. Instead, they express their awe (not to mention jealousy) over our young core.

I expect the gains to be enjoyed from an older, more experienced core will easily compensate for any losses incurred from secondary personnel changes made in the off-season, including the downgrade of Hossa to Satan.

yeah, they will suddenly all be twice as good because they aged a year. Good call. Did you suck half as bad at posting a year ago as you do now? If so, Kudos!

Do not put words in my mouth or patronize me. My argument is that the gains in skill and output from these six young players should off-set the losses you are worried about. It is a hockey argument on a hockey message board.

Your posts show an ongoing pattern of disobedient, hostile, and defiant behavior that go beyond the bounds of normal childhood behavior. If this oppositional-defiant behavior impairs your other social functioning, know that you can seek psychotherapy, family therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, and/or social skills training to help you function in groups.

Feel free to PM me for more information if your behavior here is a cry for help.
eberhard
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:12 pm

Can PHF be banned please?
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:39 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Can PHF be banned please?

Seriously, I am shocked that it hasn't happened yet.

# If your post is derogatory toward other posters, inciteful for no reason, or fails any of the above conditions, I reserve the right to delete that message and the thread that follows in its entirety.
# A pattern of improper posting may lead to you losing posting privileges.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:07 pm

bhaw wrote:Perhaps you could take your own advice and learn to read:

Conversely...

Fedotenko vs Roberts... since Roberts played like 18 minutes all of last year, I'll give it to Tank.
Taffe vs Hall... Who cares? Hall didn't do anything until the playoffs anyways. He didn't even play in a lot of games including most of the playoffs until the last 2 rounds. Really... even if Hall is better, this will have almost 0 impact.

Left out:

Hossa - Did not even participate on the team until the end of the season after the regular season standings were pretty much wrapped up. Huge loss come playoffs, but who knows what this team will look like next spring. Comparing a season ending roster to an opening day roster is useless.

Pesonen - Can't be included because a) he may not make the team and b) all anyone knows about him comes from youtube, so there is no real info on the guy and how he will do. For all we know, he could be as good as Hossa or totally flop and not touch NHL ice.

I'm not even including any player development that you seem to think is meaningless.

I even bolded the line aknowledging that comparing opening day rosters to season ending rosters is pointless for you. My guess is that you were so busy trying to insult me that you didn't read that part and instead proceeded to tell me I can't read because that's what you do.

It is totally unfair to compare a season ending team to an opening day roster because of injuries, because guys like Malone can be giant question marks going into the season then put it together, and because a guy like Staal can go from being a huge offensive contributor to someone who is barely a threat.

DelPen wrote:
the team right now with Satan and Fedotenko AND a 100% Crosby will be better than the one that ended game 6 vs the Wings.

then reply to this guy Sherlock, not me. My reply was OBVIOUSLY a direct response to THE ABOVE comment. Give me your mailing address, I swear on my life that I will mail you a COD for the money to buy the Rossetta Stone self-help reading books.
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:09 pm

Yes, it can be painful when your little world comes crashing down on you. I can't wait to read about how much Fedotenko sucks and how much better his replacement is at this time next season. You know, like how you make Malone look like nothing but a bum and Fed EX has unlimited potential all of a sudden?
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Postby bhaw on Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:21 pm

bhaw wrote:Perhaps you could take your own advice and learn to read:

Conversely...

Left out:

DelPen wrote:

then reply to this guy Sherlock, not me. My reply was OBVIOUSLY a direct response to THE ABOVE comment. Give me your mailing address, I swear on my life that I will mail you a COD for the money to buy the Rossetta Stone self-help reading books.

EDIT: Sorry... it's not fair of me to insult toddlers. I would much prefer to listen to the thoughts of a 1 year old.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nizzy on Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:31 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I just checked my schedule and I'm all booked for a 2008-2009 Cup Run.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:40 pm

Yes, it can be painful when your little world comes crashing down on you. I can't wait to read about how much Fedotenko sucks and how much better his replacement is at this time next season. You know, like how you make Malone look like nothing but a bum and Fed EX has unlimited potential all of a sudden?

...and you call yourself a Pens Fan....sheesh. Lighten Up Sparky!

:P
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jesse on Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:46 pm

Fedotenko has won a cup. Malone has not.

Just two short years ago, Ruslan Fedotenko had more points than Ryan Malone.

Fedotenko is only 29 years old. Because he won a cup a few years ago, people automatically assume the guy is burned up and out of gas.

Couldn't be further from the truth.

Ryan Malone had 16 goals two years ago. That includes two hat tricks against the islanders.

So, that means, in the 62 other games Ryan Malone played, he registered a whopping 10 goals.

Don't forget, as well, that Ryan Malone was ice cold last year before Malkin got hot.

No hate for Ryan, but really, let's not paint him as some savior because the kid got a busted nose in the playoffs and played through it.

We don't know what Fedotenko can do on a good team at this age because he's been stuck on the Island.

We saw what he could do with a talented squad a few years ago. He was a vital cog in a Stanley Cup run.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins