Ek says Pens / Gaborik (E3), read anyway...please

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Ek says Pens / Gaborik (E3), read anyway...please

Postby Doogs on Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:22 am

This is not posted for wether it is valid or not. He says the Gaborik could be our Hossa this year. The question is...would you do it again? Would you give up youth for Marian 2.0 and risk him walking like Marian 1.0 did. I would if it was a sign and trade. But I wouldn't if it weren't.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Ek says Pens / Gaborik (E3), read anyway...please

Postby KG on Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:28 am

No way the Wild move Gaborik now, unless they get some "now players." Not much of a message to send to your fan base if you trade your best player before the season starts...

I have no idea what the pens could offer for him. I don't see it happening...

Gaborik is going to make $8.5MM next year. Doesn't fit into our structure at all...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Defence21 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:38 am

Doogs wrote:This is not posted for wether it is valid or not. He says the Gaborik could be our Hossa this year. The question is...would you do it again? Would you give up youth for Marian 2.0 and risk him walking like Marian 1.0 did. I would if it was a sign and trade. But I wouldn't if it weren't.

I'm with you. Sign and trade, yes. Trade and (potentially) walk, no.

In order to get Gaborik, the Pens would have to give up a similar package to what they did to get Hossa. We're talking Cupti or Goligoski, plus a first rounder and a roster player or two. Or, worse yet, we may be talking about Jordan Staal and a draft pick.

To give up this much, I would have to be certain the player coming to Pittsburgh will remain in Pittsburgh for years, not months.

With that being said, I was kind of happy with how the Hossa situation played out, as I am a firm believer in depth more then front-loaded firepower. Sure, it would have been great to keep Hossa, but the team wouldn't be nearly as balanced as it is right now.

So now that I ponder it, I'm not so sure I would...
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:43 am

Absolutely no way in hell I'd give that kind of package for Gaborik. He's a great player when he's healthy. But he misses significant time almost every year due to injury. Do you really want to pay a guy that huge salary to play 55 games a year? I don't. Also fresh in my mind is Gaborik's complete disappearing act in last year's playoffs. I watched most of those games, and he was invisible.

And imagine the kind of salary he will command on the open market. I would like Dwayne to explain how the Pens could afford that kind of cap hit. Not gonna happen. Period. End of discussion.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:58 am

We have defenseman we can move, and obviously picks. Gaborik would have to sign here. I don't think Shero wants another Hossa situation, but I think he'd be eyeing another big move if need be. Right now, you don't know what Gaborik is looking for as a salary. Sure he's turning down $8.5 from Minny. But, history tells us he's been very unhappy playing in the defensive system of the Wild for years now. Will he take a little less to play in a system more to his liking? Maybe. Would he sign if offered the deal Hossa just turned down? Maybe. If it cost us Whitney and a decent prospect, do you do it? Maybe.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:07 am

Gaborik would look great in a Pens uni, but I don't think the Wild will give him up for the garbage that we threw at the Thrashers last year. They would want Staal or someone around that magnitude.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:15 am

Kovy27 wrote:Gaborik would look great in a Pens uni, but I don't think the Wild will give him up for the garbage that we threw at the Thrashers last year. They would want Staal or someone around that magnitude.

And, if Gaborik agrees to an extension here, you'd be forced to move a decent piece anyway.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:21 am

I wouldn't want him at the cost Minny will surely be looking. Plus, with the salary he is possibly looking to get, the Pens will have no room under their cap.

Yes, they offerred Hossa, but if Hossa woud have accepted, Orpik would be gone.

I don't like it.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:40 am

newarenanow wrote:I wouldn't want him at the cost Minny will surely be looking. Plus, with the salary he is possibly looking to get, the Pens will have no room under their cap.

Yes, they offerred Hossa, but if Hossa woud have accepted, Orpik would be gone.

I don't like it.

If HOssa accepted, I'd have driven Orpik in his candy van to ATL myself.

Eismann to the fridge for some snacks (e45,541).
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby farnham16 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:47 am

I think the best chance we have of getting him on this team is signing him in the offseason.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nizzy on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:52 am

If Gaborik becomes a Penguin that means no Staal. That means less defensive play, and that in my opinion means a worse team. Gaborik is great, don't get me wrong but I think Staal will be better then him on day.

We really need to stop talking about Gaborik it is 0% chance of happening. Gaborik will be a Wild next year unless he wants to take big money to play for a crap franchise.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Doogs on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:01 am

MarkCerny wrote:Not to be rude, if this rumor is invalid, not true, completely BS, however you want to say it, then why post anything about it.

If you have a troll on a message board, if you ignore them, they will go away. The same goes for Blogs, ignore the BS, don't post meaningless crap to message boards, and they will not occur.

He wants people to do this, so that his blog will spread, it is how he attracts veiwers.

I am not bashing, I am just saying.

"Not to be rude"... wasn't there a line in Talledega Nights where he says, "with all due respect" and then thrashes the guy... :roll:

It is a discussion board, in the off season, and this is a rumor (regardless to it's validity) that I was asking to get a feel IF the Penguin Faithful would be willing to do it again. Board Nazi in Training perhaps? You are welcome to ignore what you want, I will keep asking what I want.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:04 am

Nizzy wrote:If Gaborik becomes a Penguin that means no Staal. That means less defensive play, and that in my opinion means a worse team. Gaborik is great, don't get me wrong but I think Staal will be better then him on day.

We really need to stop talking about Gaborik it is 0% chance of happening. Gaborik will be a Wild next year unless he wants to take big money to play for a crap franchise.

1. Staal will never be as good offensively as Gaborik. He doesn't have the natural talent.

2. I agree that there is little chance of it happening. He just doesn't fit into the salary cap structure of this team without havine 3 top 6 wingers of Dupuis quality.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Doogs on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:05 am

It would be VERY nice for one of our young talents to step into the scoring wing for Sid, but I don't think they are ready for that. I hope they get a shot in camp. Luca - Sid - Satan line?
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:14 am

bhaw wrote:
Nizzy wrote:If Gaborik becomes a Penguin that means no Staal. That means less defensive play, and that in my opinion means a worse team. Gaborik is great, don't get me wrong but I think Staal will be better then him on day.

1. Staal will never be as good offensively as Gaborik. He doesn't have the natural talent.

2. I agree that there is little chance of it happening. He just doesn't fit into the salary cap structure of this team without havine 3 top 6 wingers of Dupuis quality.

Staal might never be as good as Gaborik on the PENGUINS. There is no doubt in my mind that Staal can and will be good enough to be a true number 1 player for an NHL Franchise in the future.

Who knows man there is a lot of talk about Staal moving up on a Line1/1a to wing. Maybe Jordan will put up 30 this year with Sid/Geno.

Our team is completely set, I'm so worried about resigning Staal/Talbot. I'm not thinking about signing any other big name guys. We have the set team for the next 5-6 years. Time to win some cups, and plug in the holes with 1,2 year deals like the Sykoras,Fedotenkos, Satan.

After Staal/Talbot signs I really hope all this free agency signing talk will stop.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby K2 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:18 am

Defence21 wrote:
Doogs wrote:This is not posted for wether it is valid or not. He says the Gaborik could be our Hossa this year. The question is...would you do it again? Would you give up youth for Marian 2.0 and risk him walking like Marian 1.0 did. I would if it was a sign and trade. But I wouldn't if it weren't.

I'm with you. Sign and trade, yes. Trade and (potentially) walk, no.

In order to get Gaborik, the Pens would have to give up a similar package to what they did to get Hossa. We're talking Cupti or Goligoski, plus a first rounder and a roster player or two. Or, worse yet, we may be talking about Jordan Staal and a draft pick.

To give up this much, I would have to be certain the player coming to Pittsburgh will remain in Pittsburgh for years, not months.

With that being said, I was kind of happy with how the Hossa situation played out, as I am a firm believer in depth more then front-loaded firepower. Sure, it would have been great to keep Hossa, but the team wouldn't be nearly as balanced as it is right now.

So now that I ponder it, I'm not so sure I would...

I agree with you D...if we'd get Gabby, we're giving up a bounty like we did to get Hossa. This, IMO would be a disturbing trend of depleting the system for rentals, much like Colorado did in the late 90's/early 2000's (Theo Fleury, Bourque and Blake to an extent). Of course it reduces the sting if we'd win a Cup or it's a sign and trade, but given Gabby's injury history, I'm wary of such a move.
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby TheBigLebowski on Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:30 pm

This is quite comical, indeed. Who's to say what Minnesota wants in return for Gaborik? Perhaps they'd settle for a package similar to the one given the Thrashers for Marian Hossa? We just won't know until the time comes -- if at all.

For the sake of adding to the thread, I'd take Gaborik in a heartbeat, as long as the price is right.
TheBigLebowski
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby farnham16 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:34 pm

Gaborik is sick. Top 5 talent in the league and is better than Hossa.

It would be hard to pass him up if Minny offered something exceptable. I doubt it will happen though.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Stunned! on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:23 pm

I doesn't hurt to listen to what they might want for Gaboriak. He would look great on Bing's line.
Stunned!

Postby Pitts on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:25 pm

Marian G. is the new Marian H.!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kicksave on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:40 pm

Jordan Staal, Alex Gogo for Gaborik and Clayton Stoner
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:50 pm

I don't want another 3 month rental for roster players. If he weren't a rental then he would cripple the team. So I just don't want him at all.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Daniel87 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:52 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:Absolutely no way in hell I'd give that kind of package for Gaborik. He's a great player when he's healthy. But he misses significant time almost every year due to injury. Do you really want to pay a guy that huge salary to play 55 games a year? I don't. Also fresh in my mind is Gaborik's complete disappearing act in last year's playoffs. I watched most of those games, and he was invisible.

And imagine the kind of salary he will command on the open market. I would like Dwayne to explain how the Pens could afford that kind of cap hit. Not gonna happen. Period. End of discussion.

Gaborik missed only 5 games last season and had 42 goals playing with Minnesota. I don't think you can completely disregard someone just because they've had injuries in the past. The bottom line is this guy can flat out score. Put him with Geno or Sid and he could put up Ovechkin type goal numbers.

Most will say that it's completely absurd to trade away the young Staal for Gaborik. Well Gaborik isn't exactly an old man. He's 26 years old. I understand it's a long shot and that he'll be expensive. I can also understand how Shero would be tentative to make a deal like that, especially the year after the whole Hossa situation. But if Staal isn't going to be our 3rd line center what is so wrong with trading him (and others of course) for a winger that's twice as good? A player as gifted as Gaborik and who would fit into our organization that well shouldn't be written off so quickly.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shane613 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:21 pm

these "ABSOLUTELY NOT HAPPENING" responses to Gaborik sound alot like the "ABSOLUTELY NOT HAPPENING" responses the Hossa rumors got last year! :lol:
shane613
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WWGRD on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:23 pm

I want this to happen, I heard Gaborik's a 93 on NHL 09.

I'll just turn the injuries off.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins