Ek says Pens / Gaborik (E3), read anyway...please

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Ek says Pens / Gaborik (E3), read anyway...please

Postby K2 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:48 pm

Kicksave wrote:Jordan Staal, Alex Gogo for Gaborik and Clayton Stoner


You just want a Stoner jersey tee 8-) :wink:
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,898
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Kuhnhackl's German Army

Re: Ek says Pens / Gaborik (E3), read anyway...please

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:57 pm

shane613 wrote:these "ABSOLUTELY NOT HAPPENING" responses to Gaborik sound alot like the "ABSOLUTELY NOT HAPPENING" responses the Hossa rumors got last year! :lol:


They had a lot more flexibility then than they do now. Malkin and Staal go on the books next year, Orpik and Fleury also have significant contracts. They got Hossa with the intention of keeping him, bringing in a player liek that now would be a pure rental.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,498
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Ek says Pens / Gaborik (E3), read anyway...please

Postby Samsdog on Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:30 pm

WWGRD wrote:I want this to happen, I heard Gaborik's a 93 on NHL 09.

I'll just turn the injuries off.



I know you're joking but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if some of the posts on here are based solely on the fact that the announcers in the NHL franchise say Gaborik's name when he scores, I wholeheartedly believe that some people's understanding of a players skills are so black and white that they think anyone who's name is announced in the game is a superstar.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,698
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:33 pm
Location: Bloomfield

Re: Ek says Pens / Gaborik (E3), read anyway...please

Postby Pitts on Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:37 pm

shane613 wrote:these "ABSOLUTELY NOT HAPPENING" responses to Gaborik sound alot like the "ABSOLUTELY NOT HAPPENING" responses the Hossa rumors got last year! :lol:

Don't they just! Ray Shero and, more importantly, Mario Lemieux surprised us all last year at the deadline. We should never put anything past them again.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,406
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Ek says Pens / Gaborik (E3), read anyway...please

Postby shane613 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:52 pm

Pitts wrote:
shane613 wrote:these "ABSOLUTELY NOT HAPPENING" responses to Gaborik sound alot like the "ABSOLUTELY NOT HAPPENING" responses the Hossa rumors got last year! :lol:

Don't they just! Ray Shero and, more importantly, Mario Lemieux surprised us all last year at the deadline. We should never put anything past them again.


Ever.
shane613
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,056
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: New Kensington

Re: Ek says Pens / Gaborik (E3), read anyway...please

Postby K2 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:47 pm

shane613 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
shane613 wrote:these "ABSOLUTELY NOT HAPPENING" responses to Gaborik sound alot like the "ABSOLUTELY NOT HAPPENING" responses the Hossa rumors got last year! :lol:

Don't they just! Ray Shero and, more importantly, Mario Lemieux surprised us all last year at the deadline. We should never put anything past them again.


Ever.


66 buries it
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,898
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Kuhnhackl's German Army

Re: Ek says Pens / Gaborik (E3), read anyway...please

Postby NJ5934 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:58 pm

Sorry, I just don't see the Pens being able to afford another Hossa-like package, especially for another potential "rental."

If I'm Shero and I'm thinking about selling the farm and moving some picks and prospects, I'm looking for Bouwmeester rather than Gaborik. J.B. can probably be locked up long term for 6 or 6.5 which is a steal compared to the 8.5-9 Gaborik will be asking for.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,843
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:33 pm
Location: Toms River, NJ

Re: Ek says Pens / Gaborik (E3), read anyway...please

Postby KG on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:05 pm

NJ5934 wrote:Sorry, I just don't see the Pens being able to afford another Hossa-like package, especially for another potential "rental."

If I'm Shero and I'm thinking about selling the farm and moving some picks and prospects, I'm looking for Bouwmeester rather than Gaborik. J.B. can probably be locked up long term for 6 or 6.5 which is a steal compared to the 8.5-9 Gaborik will be asking for.


Good call NJ. I think JB would be a welcomed addition to the blueline. I don't think the asking price would be much, if at all less then Gaborik though unfortunately...

I have no idea what Florida would want for JB. The usual Goligoski package would be a starting point...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,971
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Ek says Pens / Gaborik (E3), read anyway...please

Postby pens#1 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:14 pm

if they trade for Gaborik you can bank on it being a with a new contract - Pens are not deep enough to lose another rental
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,885
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:05 pm
Location: allentown

Re: Ek says Pens / Gaborik (E3), read anyway...please

Postby CKA24 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:16 pm

I'm quite alright with the team we have at the moment. I'm praying that Pesonen gets a shot in the NHL and does well. Other than that, I can pretty much expect a bit of improvement from a handful of the Pens and be comfortable going into the playoffs.

Actually, I don't expect anything from the trade deadline this year. We'll see if we're better this year...
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,703
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:23 am
Location: Harrison City, Pa

Re: Ek says Pens / Gaborik (E3), read anyway...please

Postby Pitts on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:15 am

KG wrote:I have no idea what Florida would want for JB. The usual Goligoski package would be a starting point...

The don't need defense - they need offense. Staal would be the piece for Bouwmeester.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,406
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Ek says Pens / Gaborik (E3), read anyway...please

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:43 am

Pitts wrote:
KG wrote:I have no idea what Florida would want for JB. The usual Goligoski package would be a starting point...

The don't need defense - they need offense. Staal would be the piece for Bouwmeester.


Staal and our first would make me happy.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,498
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Ek says Pens / Gaborik (E3), read anyway...please

Postby Pitts on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:53 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Pitts wrote:
KG wrote:I have no idea what Florida would want for JB. The usual Goligoski package would be a starting point...

The don't need defense - they need offense. Staal would be the piece for Bouwmeester.


Staal and our first would make me happy.

I'd make it 2nd. I'm leery of losing any more 1st for a while. Throw in another late rounder or Stone or Filewich if you have to.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,406
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Ek says Pens / Gaborik (E3), read anyway...please

Postby KG on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:09 am

Staal and our first would make me happy.[/quote]
I'd make it 2nd. I'm leery of losing any more 1st for a while. Throw in another late rounder or Stone or Filewich if you have to.[/quote]

OK: Staal, Stone, 2nd round pick for JB?

Who would do it?

That's a tough call to make. The Pens aren't exactly blessed with top 6 wings (if that is where they plan on using Staal).
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,971
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Ek says Pens / Gaborik (E3), read anyway...please

Postby shane613 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:52 am

id take gaborik over bouwmeester anyday
shane613
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,056
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: New Kensington

Re: Ek says Pens / Gaborik (E3), read anyway...please

Postby Pitts on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:00 am

KG wrote:OK: Staal, Stone, 2nd round pick for JB?

Who would do it?

That's a tough call to make. The Pens aren't exactly blessed with top 6 wings (if that is where they plan on using Staal).

You do that, then you can move Whitney for a good forward or two. With Letang and Gogo, hopefully, Whitney becomes expendable when you add a Monster Bouwmeester.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,406
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Ek says Pens / Gaborik (E3), read anyway...please

Postby Kicksave on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:02 am

Pitts wrote:
KG wrote:OK: Staal, Stone, 2nd round pick for JB?

Who would do it?

That's a tough call to make. The Pens aren't exactly blessed with top 6 wings (if that is where they plan on using Staal).

You do that, then you can move Whitney for a good forward or two. With Letang and Gogo, hopefully, Whitney becomes expendable when you add a Monster Bouwmeester.


1) Nobody is going to take Whitney until he comes back, healthy and productive.

2) Why is everybody so ready to jettison Whitney from this team? Is he in JB's class? Obviously not but he's a damn good defensemen and has shown signs of playing a more balanced game.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,572
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:53 am
Location: Feeling like I want to rage...right now.

Re: Ek says Pens / Gaborik (E3), read anyway...please

Postby Pitts on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:32 am

1) I call bull. Teams would still take him - right now.

2) I'm the biggest Whitney fan. But, I am a Penguins team fan first. If moving Whitney, after acquiring Bouwmeester allows you to improve the team elswhere, you do it. The Pens have a load of offensive defenseman.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,406
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Ek says Pens / Gaborik (E3), read anyway...please

Postby Doogs on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:40 am

Pitts wrote:1) I call bull. Teams would still take him - right now.

2) I'm the biggest Whitney fan. But, I am a Penguins team fan first. If moving Whitney, after acquiring Bouwmeester allows you to improve the team elswhere, you do it. The Pens have a load of offensive defenseman.



Pitts, you are right. Some teams WOULD take him right now, but would it lessen their offer for him BECAUSE he is hurt. A healthy Whit, is more vauable.

I'm a Whitney fan as well, I'd hate to see him go, but J.B. is a beast.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,937
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:29 pm
Location: Wexford

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chirpin' Grinder and 5 guests

e-mail