Janne Pesonen....?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Janne Pesonen....?

Postby panthers1788 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:05 am

Is Janne Pesonen coming to camp? Did he participate in the prospect camp, or the rookie tourny they were playing agains the panthers? Also, what does everyone think his chances are on making the big squad?
panthers1788
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Janne Pesonen....?

Postby Defence21 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:22 am

panthers1788 wrote:Is Janne Pesonen coming to camp? Did he participate in the prospect camp, or the rookie tourny they were playing agains the panthers? Also, what does everyone think his chances are on making the big squad?

Yes, he'll be at camp.

No, he is not part of the prospect camp or rookie tournament. He might be too old for it, to be honest.

I think his chances are okay. I think his best assets are his offensive skills, so you won't see him make the team on the fourth line or as a healthy scratch. But I also find it hard to believe he'll earn a spot on one of the top two lines.

So, my guess is he'll do one of three things, with all having equal odds of happening:

1. Make the team as a third liner
2. Start the season in the AHL to acclimate to the North American game, then either get recalled by Christmas or return to Finland
3. Not make the team and immediately return to Finland
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:44 am

I don't know if he will make the team or not but it should be cool to watch some of these players in the first Preseason game. If I could between either Caputi or Pesonen to eventually become a factor with the Penguins, it would be Caputi for sure.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:38 pm

If he works out decent, the pens can easily have 3 scoring lines or at least 2 scoring lines and one very productive 3rd line. Dupuis, Satan, Sykora, Talbot/Cooke/Kennedy as wings on the top two lines, and then Pesonen with Staal and one of the two that aren't on the top line.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby gregor on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:41 pm

another Pesonen thread, w00t!!!!!!1!!!!!1!! na na na na, nah nah nah nah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06b9ARRtuNE

gotta love that song.

but to be on topic, I'm assuming he's landed by now. anyone out there in the verse seen him in town?
gregor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:11 pm

I've never seen the guy play so who knows. That said, given the fanfare showered on Brunnstrom and Leino (I've never seen either one of those guys play), I think signing Peso is a great move. His production stacks up quite nicely with those allegedly can't miss :roll: guys, so given the minimal investment (~$90K signing bonus guaranteed, the rest is a 2-way contract) I think this is a great low risk, potentially high reward move.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:26 pm

gregor wrote:another Pesonen thread, w00t!!!!!!1!!!!!1!! na na na na, nah nah nah nah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06b9ARRtuNE

gotta love that song.

but to be on topic, I'm assuming he's landed by now. anyone out there in the verse seen him in town?

na na nana na na nanana!!
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby gregor on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:57 pm

DelPen wrote:Image

Thanks DelPen... this photoshop rocks
gregor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ruutsfan37 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:20 am

Defence21 wrote:
panthers1788 wrote:Is Janne Pesonen coming to camp? Did he participate in the prospect camp, or the rookie tourny they were playing agains the panthers? Also, what does everyone think his chances are on making the big squad?

Yes, he'll be at camp.

No, he is not part of the prospect camp or rookie tournament. He might be too old for it, to be honest.

I think his chances are okay. I think his best assets are his offensive skills, so you won't see him make the team on the fourth line or as a healthy scratch. But I also find it hard to believe he'll earn a spot on one of the top two lines.

So, my guess is he'll do one of three things, with all having equal odds of happening:

2. Start the season in the AHL to acclimate to the North American game, then either get recalled by Christmas or return to Finland

Read PPG article on what Therrien had to say. Supposedly, his contract has something about going back to Finland if he doesn't make the Pens (he doesn't want to play for the Baby Pens since he can make more money back in Finland than he would playing for them).

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08260/912465-61.stm
ruutsfan37

Postby demondg1 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:40 pm

The most pressing question is whether or not he brought his shiny gold lid...

And will HCMT let him wear it...
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:48 pm

ruutsfan37 wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

Yes, he'll be at camp.

Read PPG article on what Therrien had to say. Supposedly, his contract has something about going back to Finland if he doesn't make the Pens (he doesn't want to play for the Baby Pens since he can make more money back in Finland than he would playing for them).

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08260/912465-61.stm

Here's the Pesonen segment:

Therrien said, "I think [Pesonen] will play both wings," but that "I want to see him play some exhibition games" before determining the role he will fill.

While getting Pesonen into the preseason games will be a priority, that won't be the case for most guys who aren't established at this level.

I see nothing regarding a clause allowing him to return to Finland -- though I wouldn't be surprised if one exists.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jimjom on Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:33 pm

I don't think he'll make the team. He is Roman Simicek 2008. I heard that he has a spot waiting for him on a KHL team if he doesn't make our roster.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wickedsinner on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:58 pm

I'm really hoping to see him get some solid ice time on saturday. I have a feeling ur gonna see the pens do with him like they did with Hall last year. He's prob gonna play every preseason game to make sure whatever decision they make is the right one. Hopefully Jesse will be giving us some insight on this week as well from camp!
wickedsinner
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:48 am

But the real question is....

Can he wear his gold helmet? Please :D

I hope he pans out, but if he does not, he's give us the "Na na na na, na na na na na" song and the golden helmet. More than the other euro long shots gave us.....
For real.
No Fail.
C'mon Peso
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dr. J on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:55 am

I'm not flying high on his chances. Chances are the Pens drop him off in Europe before heading back to the States at the beginning of the regular season.
Dr. J
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby demondg1 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:17 am

demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby heath42 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:51 pm

Janne didn't do much to impress today. At one point he had a breakaway and didn't even get a decent shot off.... I was hoping he'd look awesome, but he looked rather average. Maybe he'll look better as he gets more comfortable. It was only the first day... :)
heath42
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Eismann on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:03 pm

heath42 wrote:Janne didn't do much to impress today. At one point he had a breakaway and didn't even get a decent shot off.... I was hoping he'd look awesome, but he looked rather average. Maybe he'll look better as he gets more comfortable. It was only the first day... :)

Disagree a bit. I thought he looked clearly more comfortable with the puck than any non-regular, no hesitation making his moves, very deliberate. And fast. He dusted most of the dmen on the 3v2's where the dman backskates through center. No other forwards did that.

Mean much? Meh. Day 1. But he caught my attention.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby heath42 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:12 pm

He would have looked better in a gold helmet ;) He did look fast, I agree wholeheartedly with that statement. Otherwise though, I stand by my statement that he looked average (which means better than most of the non-regulars).
heath42
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Killiecrankie on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:27 pm

heath42 wrote:Janne didn't do much to impress today. At one point he had a breakaway and didn't even get a decent shot off.... I was hoping he'd look awesome, but he looked rather average. Maybe he'll look better as he gets more comfortable. It was only the first day... :)

Are you kidding? My god, he did not get a decent shot off on the breakaway! He sucks!

He was playing with Kennedy and I think cooke? Wow.

He consistently got into scoring position, covered the dman pinching and saved a clear cut three on one, did a lot of the little things that make a quality nhl player. His only negative is his size and strength along the boards. He is a better fit for the top line then Dupius by far.
Killiecrankie

Postby heath42 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:41 pm

no one said he sucks, crankie, calm down...

Merely saying that in live play I found him rather average. Sorry if you thought otherwise.

Gogo did a really nice job against Geno throughout the game he positioning was rock solid and he makes great passes out of the zone.

Cooke lit someone up (didn't get a chance to see who) in the second period.
heath42
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:46 pm

I didn't think Pesonen was great. He did some things I liked as I described in my post in the camp report thread. Going in, the biggest question was whether or not he can handle the physicality of the NHL and I still feel that's a question. He seemed a bit hesitant around the boards to me. I'd like to see him playing with some of the top line guys (he played with Kennedy and Taffe). Hopefully he gets that chance at some point during the exhibition schedule.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:33 pm

I think Pesonen is going to have to look good playing with the 3rd/4th line guys if he wants to make the team. He may get a few moments with Sid or Malkin, but since those guys can make most anyone look good, I think he will have to prove himself when he's out there with guys who can't make him look better than he is. He should get SOME time with the top lines to see if he can fit in, but I don't think MT is just going to GIVE him that spot in camp. If MT has shown us anything over the years, it's that guys need to earn their spots in the line up.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:37 pm

That's a good point. His speed and skill are unquestioned. They probably want to see if he can handle it defensively and physically. I liked some things I saw from him in the defensive zone, but he didn't convince me that he can handle it physically. He's a small guy.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Samsdog on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:16 pm

Defence21 wrote:
I see nothing regarding a clause allowing him to return to Finland -- though I wouldn't be surprised if one exists.

It usually is a staple of the transfer agreements between the NHL and European leagues that a player will be returned to his Euro league team if he is not in use in the NHL (see: Jani Rita). That might be what was being referred to.

I'm going to camp Friday so I'll be on the lookout for Peso but I doubt he'll appear on the roster this season unless he displaces Kennedy or Dupuis. Kind of hope he does, but that might change after I actually see him play.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins