Official Camp Roster

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Official Camp Roster

Postby K2 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:56 pm

Is it out yet? If so, linkage please
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Official Camp Roster

Postby KG on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:20 pm

Don't think it has been released yet...I am hoping to see a nice veteran or 2 on their on a try out ala Hall of last year...

I still think the Pens need a legit 4th line center who can win some draws in a big spot...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Defence21 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:34 pm

KG wrote:Don't think it has been released yet...I am hoping to see a nice veteran or 2 on their on a try out ala Hall of last year...

I still think the Pens need a legit 4th line center who can win some draws in a big spot...

Manny Malhotra? I think he's still out there.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby K2 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:06 am

Defence21 wrote:
KG wrote:Don't think it has been released yet...I am hoping to see a nice veteran or 2 on their on a try out ala Hall of last year...

Manny Malhotra? I think he's still out there.

Malhotra's still under contract with the BJ's. He'd be a nice 4th line center though
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby juicebox1 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:52 am

i kinda wanna see taffe make something of himself as the 4th line center...but a little competition to really motivate him is more than welcome, of course.
juicebox1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:26 am

Mario Lemieux
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:38 am

PensFanInDC wrote:Mario Lemieux

I thought you weren't doing that stuff anymore! :lol: :wink:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:02 am

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08260/912465-61.stm

According to GM Shero the camp roster will be a short invite list:
Fifty players, not counting injured defenseman Ryan Whitney, will take part in the camp.
That's how many are scheduled to be on hand tomorrow, anyway. How long some of them will stick is another matter.
General manager Ray Shero said "we'll get right down to it pretty quickly," and that cuts and reassignments likely will come even before the exhibition opener against Tampa Bay Saturday night at Mellon Arena.

Pens are on the fast track . :)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Admin on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:23 am

K2 wrote:Is it out yet? If so, linkage please

Not released yet.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby KG on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:18 am

This is a list of un-signed players. Any you think the pens would/have offered an invite too?

(C) Sundin, Mats
(C) Forsberg, Peter
(C) Smolinski, Bryan
(C) Smith, Mark
(C) Chubarov, Artem
(C) Perreault, Yanic
(L) Shanahan, Brendan
(L) Gelinas, Martin
(L) Sanderson, Geoff
(L) Rasmussen, Erik
(L) Hlavac, Jan
(R) Selanne, Teemu
(R) Parrish, Mark
(R) Glen Murray
(R) Lapointe, Martin
(R) Boulerice, Jesse

(D) Hedican, Bret
(D) Carney, Keith
(D) Malik, Marek
(D) Miller, Aaron
(D) Pratt, Nolan
(D) Ozolinsh, Sandis
(D) Yonkman, Nolan
(D) Norton, Brad
(D) Semenov, Alexei

(G) Thibault, Jocelyn
(G) Aubin, Jean-Sebastien

Gelinas is still a decent player and a good leader...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:33 am

They don't have any room or time for invites. Camp is only 10 day long. they need to make decisions asap.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:40 am

Pitts wrote:They don't have any room or time for invites. Camp is only 10 day long. they need to make decisions asap.

I would think one or two invites are possible, especially if said invites have legitimate NHL experience. Two guys that are of interest to me are Parrish, in case two of Fedotenko, Pesonen and Staal don't earn the roles as top-two line left wingers, and Shanahan, as a fourth liner who sees top power play time. On a tryout contract, they'd be there as fall-back plans, since they've been around for a while and what you see is what you get with them, which might not be the case with Stone, Filewich, Caputi, and Pesonen, who are vying for roster spots -- and, to a lesser extent, Beech, Taffe and Thomas, who have some NHL experience, but are vying for roster spots.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:45 am

I'd love to see Billy Thomas make this team. He's pretty much Colby without the funny.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:49 am

I wouldn't mind looking into Smolinski for the 4th line center. He played that role pretty well last season in Montreal. He is a RH center who can actually win draws.

I would have thought that he would have gotten an NHL contract by now.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:02 pm

KG wrote:I wouldn't mind looking into Smolinski for the 4th line center. He played that role pretty well last season in Montreal. He is a RH center who can actually win draws.

I would have thought that he would have gotten an NHL contract by now.

Not a big fan of his. I guess I am biased because of his pitiful play here the first time around. But the one thing I do think they can use is a RH center, so I would give him a tryout.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:18 pm

Kicksave wrote:I'd love to see Billy Thomas make this team. He's pretty much Colby without the funny.

You really would want an endless stream of "Thoams Sux" posts, like Colby? (and I'd be a willing participant, if he really is indeed that bad).
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby socket on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:43 pm

I hear they're looking at T-Bo.
socket
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

socket wrote:I hear they're looking at T-Bo.

T-Bo played fairly well in the back-up role. With Fleury established as the #1 now, I wouldn't mind bringing in T-Bo on a Conklin-like deal.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:02 pm

Kicksave wrote:

T-Bo played fairly well in the back-up role. With Fleury established as the #1 now, I wouldn't mind bringing in T-Bo on a Conklin-like deal.

It may not be a bad idea at all, actually. Allowing Sabu and T-Bo to duke it out for the backup spot, with the loser heading to the AHL, would give the Penguins solid depth at the position. Regardless, I doubt we see something like this.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:13 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Kicksave wrote:

It may not be a bad idea at all, actually. Allowing Sabu and T-Bo to duke it out for the backup spot, with the loser heading to the AHL, would give the Penguins solid depth at the position. Regardless, I doubt we see something like this.

Eh. I wouldn't doubt it. They set the precedent last season when they brought in Conklin. They wanted at least somebody with some more NHL experience.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:18 pm

Kicksave wrote:
Defence21 wrote:It may not be a bad idea at all, actually. Allowing Sabu and T-Bo to duke it out for the backup spot, with the loser heading to the AHL, would give the Penguins solid depth at the position. Regardless, I doubt we see something like this.

Eh. I wouldn't doubt it. They set the precedent last season when they brought in Conklin. They wanted at least somebody with some more NHL experience.

But last year they also weren't all that high on either Brown or Curry, and Fleury wasn't an established starter. Additionally, Conklin's signing was announced, if my memory serves me correctly, well before camp began.

This year, there is plenty of talk about Curry's improvement, so much so that those in-the-know are suggesting he'll travel with the team to Europe and also that he'll be Fleury's backup next season. They've got confidence in their depth this year, something that wasn't the case when Conklin was brought in.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:19 pm

At that point, neither Curry nor Brown even had AHL experience. They both have it now, especially Curry, who emerged as the #1 down there and played in a long playoff run. I'm very much against bringing in a number three with NHL experience because it will block Curry. I think he has some potential and I'd feel comfortable with him getting some NHL time if injuries occur.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Defence21 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:23 pm

Henry Hank wrote:At that point, neither Curry nor Brown even had AHL experience. They both have it now, especially Curry, who emerged as the #1 down there and played in a long playoff run. I'm very much against bringing in a number three with NHL experience because it will block Curry. I think he has some potential and I'd feel comfortable with him getting some NHL time if injuries occur.

I think, in general, the concern comes more from Sabourin stepping into a starting role if Fleury gets hurt than Curry stepping into a backup role. In my opinion, if they brought in a guy like Thibault -- and I doubt the will -- it would be a sign that Sabourin is heading to WBS as the fourth goalie on the depth chart, behind Fleury, Thibault, and Curry. That's not going to happen.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:40 pm

I guess if they weren't comfortable with Sabourin in that role, they would have just bought him out and either made a greater effort to keep Conklin or went and got someone else. I know most people aren't all that big on Sabourin, but look at what Thibault did last season. He doesn't seem like a better option. Then again, everyone hated Thibault while he was here and didn't make a fuss about him until he was gone. Maybe Sabourin is experiencing similar treatment.

I think the team is good enough defensively now that if something happens to Fleury, they can live with a Sabourin/Curry combo because they don't have to rely on their goalie to bail out the D constantly. A good team can do fine with an unspectacular goalie, at least in the regular season. If something happened to Fleury that caused him to miss the rest of the season, I'd expect them to address that at the deadline. I think it's important for Curry to remain the clear #1 in the AHL and get a shot at NHL experience if the opportunity comes up. I see him being the back-up next year and potentially trade bait down the line ala Mike Smith last year.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:44 pm

Sabu > Thibault imo...Thibault is pretty much done imo...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins