Camp Reports

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Camp Reports

Postby André on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:10 am

Oh Netwolf, where art thou?

That said, in case we don't see a Netwolf comeback, will anyone else be attending camp? Just a few lines and pictures would be greatley appreciated. :)
Last edited by André on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Camp Reports

Postby beerman on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:11 am

André wrote:Oh Netwolf, where art thou?

That said, in case we don't see a Netwolf comeback, will anyone else be attending camp? Just a few lines and pictures would be greatley appreciated.

I'm pretty sure Jesse said he would be there and would have a report
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby André on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:13 am

beerman wrote:
André wrote:Oh Netwolf, where art thou?

That said, in case we don't see a Netwolf comeback, will anyone else be attending camp? Just a few lines and pictures would be greatley appreciated.

I'm pretty sure Jesse said he would be there and would have a report

Ah, I missed that. Great initiative, Jesse!
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Admin on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:22 am

Netbot is still blue-screening and red-ringing but we're getting closer to a fix. We'll see... :?:
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jesse on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:07 pm

I'll be there all three days. I'll be posting my report here and on FF, and I'll be doing a custom report that can be read on The Pensblog.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby farnham16 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:34 pm

Jesse wrote:I'll be there all three days. I'll be posting my report here and on FF, and I'll be doing a custom report that can be read on The Pensblog.

Thanks in advance Jesse!
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:36 pm

farnham16 wrote:
Jesse wrote:I'll be there all three days. I'll be posting my report here and on FF, and I'll be doing a custom report that can be read on The Pensblog.

Thanks in advance Jesse!

I'll be waiting to see the reports before I thank him. Just kidding. But seriously...
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:31 pm

I plan to at least go tomorrow so I'll try to post my thoughts if there are any worth posting.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Admin on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:22 am

Henry Hank wrote:I plan to at least go tomorrow so I'll try to post my thoughts if there are any worth posting.

Please do. Thanks.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby lgpen30f987 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:46 am

Henry Hank wrote:I plan to at least go tomorrow so I'll try to post my thoughts if there are any worth posting.

I will be there on Friday, so i can post what little observations i may have
lgpen30f987
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby demangone on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:57 am

I'll be there tomorrow most likely. Does anyone know their policies on cameras or camcorders? I have a tiny flash camcorder that I could sneak in if necessary.
demangone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Admin on Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:12 am

demangone wrote:I'll be there tomorrow most likely. Does anyone know their policies on cameras or camcorders? I have a tiny flash camcorder that I could sneak in if necessary.

Netwolf has brought a camera every year.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby shmenguin on Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:24 am

Admin wrote:
demangone wrote:I'll be there tomorrow most likely. Does anyone know their policies on cameras or camcorders? I have a tiny flash camcorder that I could sneak in if necessary.

Netwolf has brought a camera every year.

Netwolf brings a camera to camp...Netwolf disappears off of the face of the earth under mysterious circumstances. Coincidence?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Admin on Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:45 am

shmenguin wrote:Netwolf brings a camera to camp...Netwolf disappears off of the face of the earth under mysterious circumstances. Coincidence?

:lol:
Admin
Site Admin

Postby JS© on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:16 pm

I'm more than likely heading down to camp Friday. I'll do my best to get some pics.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:17 pm

Just got back from Session 2. Probably saw 40 minutes or so. Random observations:

1) Crowd was a couple hundred, maybe. All in East igloo

2) Drills were very lively, focus on going to the net.

3) Mark Eaton did not get hurt.

4) Lines of note: Staal - Malkin - Sykora (at the session I saw). A guy behind me who was there for session 1 said Dupuis - Sid - Satan, with Satan scoring twice in the scrimmage.

5) I thought Pesonen looked pretty good. Nice hands, determination, made some good decisions with the puck. Very fast, too.

6) Geno looked pretty smooth. Pottted a couple off MAF (Brown was the other goalie).

7) Staal didn't look very good. Looked like he was half clowning a lot, fumbled plenty. Won't mean anything, as long as he at least stays on the left.

8) Connor James had good pop.

9) The rest of the WBS contingent looked better this year. I remember from last year that Filewich, James, et al looked a bit awkward in the drills. A little smoother this year out of the gate.

10) Boogaard did not fight anyone.

11) USS Hal Gill dumped someone in white during an odd-man drill. No injury, except to pride.

12) Uphill climb for new blood to secure a spot, Pesonen included.

13) If Fedotenko really wasn't on Sid's line, I don't know why.

14) Game on.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Killiecrankie on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:22 pm

Pesonen is making this team, 100%. Very good player, the best of our offseason additions besides Satan.

Satans hands are tremendous

Fleurys rebound control is elite level
Killiecrankie

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:39 pm

I went today and only got to see the first set of drills and the scrimmage...

Crosby and Satan already seem to have good chemistry. Dupuis still isn't ideal on the top line, but when you have the best center in the league and a proven scorer making up the other 2/3 of the line, he'll suffice. Satan put in two during the scrimmage, both scored around the net.

Malkin and Sykora still have their dynamic and I was very glad to see Staal given the chance on the second line from the start. This line produced the only goal for the black team.

I like the third line of Cooke-Talbot-Fedotenko as well. They scored the third white team goal, with Talbot tipping a Lovejoy shot home. They're a good mix for a checking line with some skill and they look like they are meshing pretty well.

It seems that the real candidates to round out the lineup at this point are Godard, Kennedy, Beech, Stone, Pesonen, and Taffe. You have to figure Godard is a lock given his role and contract. Kennedy played today like he knew his spot wasn't set in stone; if he continues that he has nothing to worry about. Beech and Stone actually looked pretty good in the drills but I didn't notice their line much during the scrimmage (they also played with Godard). Pesonen was noticeable, but that might be a lot because I made a point to notice him. He got sprung on a breakaway and couldn't get it past the goalie (I think Sabourin). He seems like he might be a perimeter player, which really could limit him from making it in the NHL. He did have a nice sequence towards the end of the scrimmage where he deflected a shot/pass on net and then quickly got back and back checked the puck away from the guy going the other way (Cooke maybe?). I wish I would have seen him in the drills but I had to leave. The lineup looks pretty set so he's got the odds against him. I'm interested in seeing him during the exhibition games. Taffe was Taffe. Nobody else really stood out to me. Actually, I noticed Bissonnette throwing the body around. He had a penalty shot too on a Goligoski penalty but didn't score. Caputi wasn't out there as far as I could tell.

The D looks pretty set too. Orpik-Gonchar, Eaton-Letang, Gill-Scuderi. Sydor and Goligoski played together so you can deduce where they stack up on the depth chart. I want to say Satan's first goal was scored off the rebound of a Goligoski shot but I can't remember for sure.

All and all I thought it was an enjoyable experience and it was nice to see that the team is mostly set and seems to already be gelling. I'm going to try to go the next two days if I'm up to it and I'll be sure to post any other thoughts.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:50 pm

This team just looks so much better than when we started camp last year, doesn't it? Same can be said for WBS too I think.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:53 pm

Eismann wrote:Just got back from Session 2. Probably saw 40 minutes or so. Random observations:

1) Crowd was a couple hundred, maybe. All in East igloo

2) Drills were very lively, focus on going to the net.

3) Mark Eaton did not get hurt.

4) Lines of note: Staal - Malkin - Sykora (at the session I saw). A guy behind me who was there for session 1 said Dupuis - Sid - Satan, with Satan scoring twice in the scrimmage.

5) I thought Pesonen looked pretty good. Nice hands, determination, made some good decisions with the puck. Very fast, too.

6) Geno looked pretty smooth. Pottted a couple off MAF (Brown was the other goalie).

7) Staal didn't look very good. Looked like he was half clowning a lot, fumbled plenty. Won't mean anything, as long as he at least stays on the left.

8) Connor James had good pop.

9) The rest of the WBS contingent looked better this year. I remember from last year that Filewich, James, et al looked a bit awkward in the drills. A little smoother this year out of the gate.

10) Boogaard did not fight anyone.

11) USS Hal Gill dumped someone in white during an odd-man drill. No injury, except to pride.

12) Uphill climb for new blood to secure a spot, Pesonen included.

13) If Fedotenko really wasn't on Sid's line, I don't know why.

14) Game on.

:D good to hear!
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:54 pm

I just watched part of the second practice. I noticed Pesonen blew past Letang in a 1 on 1 situation. Hal Gill really did dump one of the younger guys. Malkin was looking pretty good, made a good move and sucked in the D, dropping it to Gill - who missed the net and seemed pretty upset about it (he had a good opportunity). Brown needs to work on rebound control. Fleury made some good saves (especially considering most of the drills the D was severely outnumbered)

Lots of fun to see the Pens skating again!
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:05 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Caputi wasn't out there as far as I could tell.

Ya, good point, HH. He struggled a few times with possession and staying onsides during rushes, but the ice was pretty chucked toward the end.

CPZ didn't do much either, except ring one off MAF's dome.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Killiecrankie on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:09 pm

Eismann wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:Caputi wasn't out there as far as I could tell.

Ya, good point, HH. He struggled a few times with possession and staying onsides during rushes, but the ice was pretty chucked toward the end.

CPZ didn't do much either, except ring one off MAF's dome.

Cupti's hamstring was hurt. He came out for drills, looked good but unpolished. Should be late season call up and will make this team next year. Is awesome around the net, showed this especially in the drills. Just knows where to go around the net to score goals.
Killiecrankie

Postby penny lane on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:11 pm

Thank-you for the various reports. :D

I wish they would let people sit anywhere on 1 side of the igloo, but, minor complaint.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:14 pm

No, I mean I literally didn't see Caputi. He didn't play during the scrimmage but it seems that he, CPZ, Haddad, and Boogaard skated during the drills. I had to leave after the scrimmage so I missed the group B drills.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins