Camp Reports

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Camp Reports

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:20 pm

Henry Hank wrote:No, I mean I literally didn't see Caputi. He didn't play during the scrimmage but it seems that he, CPZ, Haddad, and Boogaard skated during the drills. I had to leave after the scrimmage so I missed the group B drills.

I saw Caputi out there with Group B, so he was there...but from what was said earlier, he may have been out just for the drills.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:39 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I like the third line of Cooke-Talbot-Fedotenko as well. They scored the third white team goal, with Talbot tipping a Lovejoy shot home. They're a good mix for a checking line with some skill and they look like they are meshing pretty well.

That would be a very gritty, physical line that can skate and score some big goals. I think Max is ready for 3rd line duty, freeing Staal to be that top 6 wing.

I only wonder where the little Gold Helmeted Finn will fit? I think Dupuis is needed on Crosby's line if Satan is there. Staal-Malkin- Sykora has all of the elements as well. I can't see Janne on the 4th line either, so where do you put him even if he does demonstrate NHL offensive abilities?
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jesse on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:41 pm

Report is up.

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/pittsburg ... port-day-1

I wasn't as impressed with Pesonen as some of these other people.

Love the pairing of Letang/Eaton.

Danny Richmond really stood out for me.

Any questions, let me know.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:45 pm

So Jordan is back at wing? That would solve one problem and could maybe create another. I still think he should be playing center. But maybe I'm wrong.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jesse on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Gaucho wrote:So Jordan is back at wing? That would solve one problem and could maybe create another. I still think he should be playing center. But maybe I'm wrong.

He looked great today. Smooth, shooting the puck well. He seems to really enjoy playing with Malkin. They did a great job together. Had a little of that chemistry we saw in 2007.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:49 pm

I only wonder where the little Gold Helmeted Finn will fit? I think Dupuis is needed on Crosby's line if Satan is there. Staal-Malkin- Sykora has all of the elements as well. I can't see Janne on the 4th line either, so where do you put him even if he does demonstrate NHL offensive abilities?

He doesn't... not yet at least. His best hope to quickly play in the top six is an injury. I think if he has a really good camp, they'll carry him as a fourth liner or extra player and then he'll get a chance if there are injuries or if someone like Dupuis isn't cutting it. But the odds were always stacked pretty high against him.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
Jesse wrote:I'll be there all three days. I'll be posting my report here and on FF, and I'll be doing a custom report that can be read on The Pensblog.

Thanks in advance Jesse!

I'll be waiting to see the reports before I thank him. Just kidding. But seriously...

Thanks Jesse.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:05 pm

I think we could see predominantly 3 lines playing and then use the 4th line for spot duty, soecial teams and specific roles. Pesonen, Taffe and Godard may never play a shift together but each could be used after a PK or PP. Imagine Malkin and Staal are together on the PK and after that shift you can have Sykora go out with Taffe and Pesonen for some offense. And then after the PP, Fedo would play one of the units so throw Godard out there with Talbot and Cooke to mix things up.

EDIT: How did I forget Kennedy? This team really has some solid depth.
Last edited by DelPen on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:07 pm

Thanks to everyone! Wow... it's almost time!!! :D

Early indications from comments (even the positive ones) are that Pesonen won't be on the team, but it doesn't appear that will be an issue.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jesse on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:09 pm

Ian from Hockey's Future was just as impressed with Richmond as I was.

http://hfboards.com/blog.php?b=32

He actually goes as far as to say he's a presumptive candidate to make the big club with that kind of play.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:10 pm

bhaw wrote:Thanks to everyone! Wow... it's almost time!!! :D

Early indications from comments (even the positive ones) are that Pesonen won't be on the team, but it doesn't appear that will be an issue.

Yeah it was always a low risk situation, so no big deal if he doesn't make the team. Its a good opportunity for him and could potentially benefit the team. If it doesn't work out both parties should be able to just go back to their previous situations.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:15 pm

Jesse wrote:Ian from Hockey's Future was just as impressed with Richmond as I was.

He actually goes as far as to say he's a presumptive candidate to make the big club with that kind of play.

I thought Richmond was pretty smooth but I don't know how he can make that kind of statement. At best he can probably put himself into ninth on the depth chart, and that's with Whitney injured.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:18 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
Jesse wrote:Ian from Hockey's Future was just as impressed with Richmond as I was.

I thought Richmond was pretty smooth but I don't know how he can make that kind of statement. At best he can probably put himself into ninth on the depth chart, and that's with Whitney injured.

I don't see room for him right now either. Unless maybe Sydor is moved.

T.J. Kemp was also pretty impressive for such a small guy.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:29 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
bhaw wrote:Thanks to everyone! Wow... it's almost time!!! :D

Yeah it was always a low risk situation, so no big deal if he doesn't make the team. Its a good opportunity for him and could potentially benefit the team. If it doesn't work out both parties should be able to just go back to their previous situations.

I agree. I was just clarifying since there were a lot who thought he was almost a lock to make it.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:31 pm

Jesse wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:

I don't see room for him right now either. Unless maybe Sydor is moved.

T.J. Kemp was also pretty impressive for such a small guy.

Jesse,

You might have covered this earlier, but whom do you see from last year's team as vulnerable to losing a spot to a newcomer?

If the presumptive lines for this year (at least to start, only figuring in last year's guys and the higher profile signings) are:

Satan - Sid - Dupuis
Staal - Geno - Sykora
Fedotenko - Talbot - Cooke/Kennedy
Godard/Cooke/Taffe

...I'd guess Dupuis would be vulnerable to Pesonen and maybe TK if shuffling has to be done to bump a 3rd (or even 4th) liner up to 1. The 2nd line might as well be concrete, because it's not getting changed. I don't see Fedo slipping to the 4th line, nor Cooke dropping off. That pretty much leaves Taffe as the other target. But he's got experience and a decent 4th line game. TK could be a trade victim if he's better than a 3rd liner but not ready for Sid. I can't see him back in WBS.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:35 pm

Can anyone tell me how Hossa looked out there? :lol: :P
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:38 pm

bhaw wrote:Can anyone tell me how Hossa looked out there? :lol: :P

If Satan keeps scoring and Staal sticks in the top six, I doubt many people will even be thinking of Hossa.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:41 pm

Eismann wrote:Jesse,

You might have covered this earlier, but whom do you see from last year's team as vulnerable to losing a spot to a newcomer?

If the presumptive lines for this year (at least to start, only figuring in last year's guys and the higher profile signings) are:

Satan - Sid - Dupuis
Staal - Geno - Sykora
Fedotenko - Talbot - Cooke/Kennedy
Godard/Cooke/Taffe

...I'd guess Dupuis would be vulnerable to Pesonen and maybe TK if shuffling has to be done to bump a 3rd (or even 4th) liner up to 1. The 2nd line might as well be concrete, because it's not getting changed. I don't see Fedo slipping to the 4th line, nor Cooke dropping off. That pretty much leaves Taffe as the other target. But he's got experience and a decent 4th line game. TK could be a trade victim if he's better than a 3rd liner but not ready for Sid. I can't see him back in WBS.

HH was right when he said it'd be really hard for a newcomer to crack this lineup. It looks as if Therrien has his mind pretty much made up.

I think that Ryan Stone, based on how he looked today, could push someone for a spot. But I'm not sure who. Jeff Taffe was relatively invisible today, so maybe him?

Kennedy played too well today for me to be worried about him.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:42 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
bhaw wrote:Can anyone tell me how Hossa looked out there? :lol: :P

If Satan keeps scoring and Staal sticks in the top six, I doubt many people will even be thinking of Hossa.

It was a bad joke. I have agreed all along that Hossa won't be as missed as some have made it out to be, including analysts. He was awesome for the couple months he was here, but if you don't ignore player progression and improvement, this team is more than capable of making up for that absence.

My only wish is that we can find someone to step up and take Dupuis' role. Or that Dupuis can prove me wrong.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:43 pm

Jesse wrote:Love the pairing of Letang/Eaton.

I'm not an Eaton fan, but I do like that pairing. Unfortunately, the Scuderi-Gill pairing continues to make me want to shoot something.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:48 pm

HH was right when he said it'd be really hard for a newcomer to crack this lineup. It looks as if Therrien has his mind pretty much made up.

I think that Ryan Stone, based on how he looked today, could push someone for a spot. But I'm not sure who. Jeff Taffe was relatively invisible today, so maybe him?

Kennedy played too well today for me to be worried about him.

The way I see it, it's Taffe, Stone, Beech, and Pesonen going after two roster spots, one to round out the top twelve and the other as an extra forward. Taffe's the incumbent and I tend to think he'll at least make it as a reserve. My money's on Stone since he's waiver eligible now and they might not want to risk losing him if they think he has a future as a checker. Of course, he has to earn it.

But we'll see... these types of things sometimes have a way of working themselves out with injuries.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wallflower on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:21 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:Unfortunately, the Scuderi-Gill pairing continues to make me want to shoot something.

That was/is my only concern about the defense. I like Scuderi & I like Gill but I do not like them out on the ice together at even strength.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:53 pm

wallflower wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:Unfortunately, the Scuderi-Gill pairing continues to make me want to shoot something.

That was/is my only concern about the defense. I like Scuderi & I like Gill but I do not like them out on the ice together at even strength.

Maybe if they keep getting exploited during training camp and preseason we'll see it broken up.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:30 pm

Then again, they spent most of the playoffs together and really weren't a problem. I don't think there's any set criteria for a defensive pairing. I think two "offensive" defenseman (e.g. Whitney and Letang) and two "defensive" defensemen (e.g. Gill and Scuderi) can work depending on the players and what you're looking for in the pair. Like I said, Gill and Scuderi seemed to do the job in the playoffs when the games mattered the most so the pairing is fine by me. I think Gill is essential for his size in front of the net on the PK. Scuderi is a little redundant with Eaton back in the lineup so I wouldn't be opposed to Sydor or Goligoski playing over Scuderi. I'm willing to bet the original plan with Whitney healthy was for Scuderi to be the seventh guy anyway so we'll eventually see an arrangement like that.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tico Rick on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:40 pm

Thanks to all of you who were there for your insights!
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins