Saturday Game Online?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Saturday Game Online?

Postby relantel on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:21 pm

"A Big Big Win for Tampa Bay"... yeah, ok, Buddy. It's just a preseason shootout!
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel87 on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:21 pm

Omg its the 1st frickin preseason game dude.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby demangone on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:23 pm

Dear Announcer,

We lost to worse teams *cough* Islanders/Leafs *cough* last year, don't act like your team is out of the basement, Recchi hasn't played yet.

Sincerely,

Demangone
demangone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:24 pm

This guy has single-handedly made me despise the Lightning. I hope his buddy Stamkos fails miserably this season.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel87 on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:24 pm

LOL Did he really just say this game didn't feel like a preseason game?!
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby AricM on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:26 pm

Sounded like an exciting game. Too bad we couldn't watch it.
AricM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby AricM on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:26 pm

Now wait a minute. Is he picking the stars? I'm turning him off now.
Last edited by AricM on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AricM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby righton on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:27 pm

my wife just came running down the hall to see if I had killed myself... I told her nope it is this jagoff on the lightining radio network... :D

she said to me "it sounds like his nuts got caught in the zipper"!!! He He He
righton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel87 on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:31 pm

If you missed this announcer, shame on you for 6 weeks! Goodnight.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tjand72 on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:34 pm

Daniel87 wrote:If you missed this announcer, consider yourself lucky!
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Eismann on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:49 pm

Saw up to midway through the third. Random observations:

1) Hot crowd. Didn't hear the attendance, prolly 12-14k. EDIT: officially listed at 16,287.

2) Pretty rusty through most of the first two. Some good moves here and there by the top guys, but also a load of missed passes. That was the biggest thing that stuck out for me, and it was most prevalent among the young guys. Gogo, Lovejoy, Godard, etc. had lots of trouble floating pucks out of reach. It settled somewhat as the game went on.

3) Staal looked quite comfortable on the left, good hop, nice awareness around the boards of dmen and Geno.

4) I continue to loathe the PP with Sid and Geno together. Geno played the left point again, with Sid, Miro, Staal in front and some rotating dmen on the right point. Same story. Loads of perimeter passing, not much cutting or box shifting. Meh, whatev. I complained about that so much last year that they made the SC finals. Forget it, Eis, and move on.

5) The building collectively thought "here we go again" when Eaton took a shot in the leg in the 2nd. Not this early, man, please.

6) The ice was in rare late-season, mid-80's temp terrible.

7) Early nic for Miro is Analog TV, because he can't convert. Yeah, first game, but I counted about 5 chances that Sid spoon-fed him and should have at least made some noise. Otherwise, he looked fine, especially on the rush. Yes, he will float around center board, but he picks his times pretty well and is waiting for the outlet.

8) Speaking of which, decent start to the transition game. Good lateral in-zone pass to create space and forward momentum. The pass rustiness notwithstanding, you can see that they're more inclined to begin the rush as units, not always springing someone.

9) MAF will be pretty po'ed tonight about the goals, but in general his form was mostly fine.

10) Please end the Stone experiment. He looks exactly the same now as he did when first stepped on the arena ice; like a newborn calf.

11) Not a great first showing for Godard. If we're looking at comparisons with BGL, I'd give it an incomplete, because I didn't see much in the way of skating. This one will have to develop.

12) Peso looked okay. You can see he has pretty well-developed sense about positioning and reading the flow of play, but the newness of his linemates is likely weighing him down. I still say he has the most skill out of all the non-established new guys.

13) Sid's slash was tremendous.

14) My 4 year-old daughter went with me and had a complete blast. She loves the "tough guys who fight," was into the whole game, yelled "Let's Go Pens" a bazillion times, and ate popcorn with her jabrone dad.

15) Game on.
Last edited by Eismann on Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dickie Dunn on Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:30 pm

Eismann wrote:11) Not a great first showing for Godard. If we're looking at comparisons with BGL, I'd give it an incomplete, because I didn't see much in the way of skating. This one will have to develop.

Really? That's pretty much the exact opposite of what I thought about Godard. He looks like a figure skater compared to Laraque, whose entire existence on the ice was an exercise in not falling over. Godard actually looks like he went to skating lessons as a child. He also showed he has enough speed to get involved with the forecheck. And he bloodied Koci. Sounds good enough to me.

Also, giving Beech five minutes for boarding was a pathetic call. Was it boarding? Absolutely, but it didn't merit a major penalty, especially after one of TB's meat heads drilled Lovejoy from behind and drove his face into the glass with their forearm, which of course wasn't called.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:19 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Eismann wrote:11) Not a great first showing for Godard. If we're looking at comparisons with BGL, I'd give it an incomplete, because I didn't see much in the way of skating. This one will have to develop.

Really? That's pretty much the exact opposite of what I thought about Godard. He looks like a figure skater compared to Laraque, whose entire existence on the ice was an exercise in not falling over. Godard actually looks like he went to skating lessons as a child. He also showed he has enough speed to get involved with the forecheck. And he bloodied Koci. Sounds good enough to me.

It's the 4th line, so it's pretty low on the concern list to begin with. BGL's entire existence wasn't standing up. When 'on', he was exceptionally effective in maintaining possession behind the opponent's net. Granted, it was hit-and-miss on how regularly he wanted to do it. Godard ran around like Stone tonight, which meant he went directly after the closest thing to him. That's not always bad, but if he's going to be pretty much out there to goon people, I'd have doubts about how often he dresses.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:39 am

the only thing i read in this thread was that eismann was a jabroni...newsflash? ish dont think so,
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins