Camp 2008, Day 1 report is up

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby canaan on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:20 pm

good read, bot. thanks.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Camp 2008, Day 1 report is up

Postby Penspal on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:27 pm

Thanks Netwolf, for many of us, this is THE official start to the Penguins season :idea:

- I find myself rooting for Bill Thomas. I'm not from Pittsburgh, but I do enjoy seeing a hometown guy live a dream. Sad to see your only observation of him was a flub.

- How did Sydor look? Daryl's play is a serious factor into the decisions MT&crew make about the defensive makeup. (And is he still tradeable? :wink: )

As always, thanks for your insights.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby beerman on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:11 pm

thanks for the report and welcome back
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cojac on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:19 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
netwolf wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:Is that really you, netwolf? Here I thought you might have been committed or something when the playoff pressure got to you :lol: .

It really, really is. It wasn't anything like that, although I think Judy was seriously concerned about me during that marathon game in the Finals (rightfully so, more than likely). :wink:

Kovy27 wrote:Whoa. Welcome back.

You didn't think I'd miss camp, did you? I'm practically Mr. September around here. :lol:

:lol: Good to see you back netty poo.

Finally, netwolf has come back to LetsGoPens.com :!:
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:24 pm

The Snapshot wrote:I cannot read your report through the tears in my eyes at your return. :oops:

MT sez you soff. :lol:

Penspal wrote:Thanks Netwolf, for many of us, this is THE official start to the Penguins season :idea:

- I find myself rooting for Bill Thomas. I'm not from Pittsburgh, but I do enjoy seeing a hometown guy live a dream. Sad to see your only observation of him was a flub.

- How did Sydor look? Daryl's play is a serious factor into the decisions MT&crew make about the defensive makeup. (And is he still tradeable? :wink: )

It's not that Thomas had a horrible day, but that flub really stuck out because of how incredibly open he was. As I mentioned above regarding Pesonen's chances, he's got a ton of competition for one of the last spots at forward. I think it would be a surprise if he made the trip to Sweden at this point.

I'm one of the few people left that thinks Sydor still has some game left in him. I have him ahead of Gill and Scuderi on my depth chart. If I had to pick between Sydor-Goligoski and Gill-Scuderi as my 3rd defense pairing, I'll take Sydor and Goligoski every time. That Gill-Scuderi pairing isn't mobile enough and is too one-dimensional for my liking. Whatever forward line is plays with them would be at a disadvantage most nights. Separately, both can help a team but together, they are too much of the same to be effective IMO.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Three Stars on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:37 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

:D :D :D
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:43 pm

Welcome back net -- I was seriously concerned about you. Stick around, eh?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ben Klingston on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:32 pm

What an entrance.

Nice to see ya back.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:04 pm

netwolf wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Satan = 60 goals....write it down

sykora should be on the first power play, thus satan should struggle to break 30 (that would be A LOT of even strength goals for him to approach even 40).

I think the Crosby/Satan pair will be every bit as good (productive, dangerous, effective) as the Malkin/Sykora pair. That might force the Pens to alter the "Stack the top PP unit" approach. Otherwise, someone is going to be left out. With Whitney out, they could try Malkin at point again (hopefully right and not left) and have Satan, Sykora, and Crosby up front. Even then, Staal is off the top group. They certainly have plenty of capable forwards for power play work. Fedotenko is capable of jamming up it front as well and even a small, skilled guy like Pesonen (if he makes the team) could do well with the extra time and space.

we could split pp's, but if we didn't split with hossa, it seems unlikely that we'll ever split.

i think it's very likely the only thing that will remain constant will be crosby, malkin and gonchar on unit 1. everything else will change...so 30 goals each for satan and sykora it is.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:28 pm

I suppose there's something to that. However, they had been running a stacked PP with those 3 prior to Hossa's acquisition. I don't think they were going to revamp the approach that late in the season.

I agree they'll likely try to stack the top unit, but I'm not convinced that's the best way to go. It means the second unit will be a mish-mash of "leftovers." That's fine if the top unit is clicking, but on the nights they aren't, it *could* be an issue. I'm undecided on this now, but am leaning towards the idea of two balanced units so that no matter who draws a penalty, you can send out a rested PP unit. Given the roster of this team, either unit in such a scenario would likely be good enough to be the top unit on most other teams in the league.

The Whitney injury is the one potential problem. With him out, I don't know that they have 4 capable defensemen for 2 units.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:33 pm

The plan seems to be for Staal to take Malone's place on Malkin's wing. I expect that the plan also is to replace Malone in front of the net on the top PP. Part of the reason they moved him from center probably was to get him more PP time because they didn't like having their top three centers on one PP unit before.

I think they'll continue to stack. Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Gonchar and one of Satan and Sykora on the top unit. The other one of them on the second unit with Letang on the point, Fedotenko in front of the net, and then either guys double shifting to cover the other two spots or you'll see Dupuis and/or Kennedy fill in too.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Samsdog on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:47 pm

I'd be more surprised if they didn't stack the top PP, but have to agree it's not the best way to go. It probably means a less than impressive second unit and the potential for an exhausted first PP when a penalty is called. If they did use two units, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gonchar appear on both, that's what they did last season. This also means more time on respectable PP units for guys like Satan and Sykora who will be hungry for PP time but might not be guaranteed on a stacked unit. From a purely cynical view, it also doesn't hurt their chances of keeping Sykora if they can keep him happy and give him PP time. As I said though, I expect them to go with Malkin, Crosby, Sykora, Gonch, and Letang on the PP, occasionally moving Malkin to the point, removing Letang, and substituting Staal to give him the time he's hungry for. If it appears not to work, they may consider balanced units.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby eww7633 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:10 pm

The new gear for this year has the Pens sporting gold in their gloves (Reebok, Easton, and NikeBauer I noticed) just like Hossas' Warriors last year. I should run a uni-related site because I am a stickler with these things.

It looks awesome. I'm glad they are using the accent more.
eww7633
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby purelebo84 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:13 pm

Thank you!
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cojac on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:20 pm

netwolf wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:I cannot read your report through the tears in my eyes at your return. :oops:

MT sez you soff. :lol:

Penspal wrote:Thanks Netwolf, for many of us, this is THE official start to the Penguins season :idea:

It's not that Thomas had a horrible day, but that flub really stuck out because of how incredibly open he was. As I mentioned above regarding Pesonen's chances, he's got a ton of competition for one of the last spots at forward. I think it would be a surprise if he made the trip to Sweden at this point.

I'm one of the few people left that thinks Sydor still has some game left in him. I have him ahead of Gill and Scuderi on my depth chart. If I had to pick between Sydor-Goligoski and Gill-Scuderi as my 3rd defense pairing, I'll take Sydor and Goligoski every time. That Gill-Scuderi pairing isn't mobile enough and is too one-dimensional for my liking. Whatever forward line is plays with them would be at a disadvantage most nights. Separately, both can help a team but together, they are too much of the same to be effective IMO.

I agree that Sydor still can help this team, especially on the 2nd PP. Gill is too valuable on the PK to be scratched. Eaton makes Scuderi irrelevant, until he gets hurt :? So to start the year I'd go with the following:
Orpik-Gonchar
Gill-Letang
Eaton-Sydor
Scuderi

Gogo in wbs.
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby OneTimer on Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:22 pm

I checked out training camp today, also.
It was so exciing to see Satan and Fedotenko. Almost a buzzkill when Fedotenko got hit by a shot on his foot a minute into practice, but luckily he only needed another minute to shake it off.

Also loved seeing the times when Malkin's line would be matched up against Crosby's in the scrimmage. Goals aside, I think Crosby's had the better first period, Malkin's had the second, and I guess Crosby's had the third.

The first great Crosby moment was in practice when he raced by Sydor and roofed a backhand behind Curry on a drill. I loved the pass for one of Statn's goals in the scrimmage, also, a play made from one knee.

I thought there was a surprising amount of hitting. At least 8 solid hits I counted.

Kemp and D'Aversa were not in the scrimmage but participated in both practices. Therrien got on D'Aversa about something with the one of the first drills of the day. I wonder why D'Aversa wasn't part of the prospect camp.

Saw a mom with a Pens tattoo on the back of her neck. I have thought about getting one, but on the back of the neck, that's hardcore.

I am still surprised by how well Bissonette skates for how big he is.

Engelland gave everyone a little laugh when reaching...reaching...reaching for a puck going by him, and then falling.

Sydor still got the knack of getting nearly all of his shots on net.

This was not the day Filewich needed to have. Maybe he is just gripping his stick too tight. Tons of missed chances around the net, a bad breakout or a few, and caused an unnecessary offsides. At least it is easy to tell he got wheels.

A little funny moment happened with Sykora. He got totally surprised by a cross ice pass by Malkin during practice when it hit the borads between his legs with a boom. Of course, Sykora's shooting looked great all day. Judging from some playing-around half-ice shots, Therrien needs to get him on the ice when other teams pull their goalie.

I thought Pesonen rocked it. He had some terrific passes, at least one to Kennedy and he found some late-coming defensemen on others. His breakaway chance may not have been one without his great speed. During 1-on-1 drills, he had a great battle with D'Aversa from which he scored a wraparound goal and smoked a backwards skating Letang on another. He already has two great veteran traits: accepts passes beautifully and his shots generally hit the net, even when just fooling around. The guy is about Kennedy's size so he is not a dwarf. He had three tiny, baby hits during the scrimmage so he is at least initiating contact. I think he would have looked better on a different line since Kennedy and Taffe seemed to look for each other a good bit when pucks could have been going Pesonen's way. I think the team needs to keep him as (Satan and Sykora) injury insurance, and I hope he is willing take that role.

Malkin, Staal, Taffe, and Henrich got some faceoff practice towards the end, along with Letang doing some individual shooting drills.

Sabourin gave his stick to a girl over the glass, and Fleury went the extra mile (nearly diving into the bench) to get a puck into the crowd.
OneTimer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby André on Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:40 am

Well this answers my question from yesterday.

But, Netwolf, couldn't you have put this in the already existing thread? ;) :D

Mixed feelings about Pesonen I see. Personally I think if he's fast and skilled (and proves this in camp/pre-season, of course) I want him on the team for a more balanced offense. The Pens could pretty much stack the top six with Fed, Sid, Satan, Staal, Malkin and Sykora but also have a nice third line of perhaps Pesonen, Talbot and Kennedy. Cooke, Stone, Dupuis, Beech, Godard are not bad for a 4th line.

Hmm. Lots of depth for the lower lines. Maybe we'll see a scenario of Pesonen in WBS getting called up in case of injury. Then we'll all be singing.

I really want Pesonen to make it :D
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Geezer on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:03 am

I'll be surprised if Dupuis would sink to the 4th line. Seems like the 3rd line is the best fit for him.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby André on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:14 am

BTW, where's Strait and Sneep? Too young even for camp?
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:41 am

André wrote:BTW, where's Strait and Sneep? Too young even for camp?

I don't think they invite the college students since they still have another year to go and have started class. They were at the summer workout thingy. Yes, thingy.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins