Pesonen okay with going to AHL

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pesonen okay with going to AHL

Postby IrishEyes on Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:33 am

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... rss&feed=8

"Whatever it takes," said Pesonen, who need not clear waivers to play in the AHL. "I want to win games and be at a top level. If it's not open in the beginning of the season, maybe it's open a little bit later."

I super excited about this. According to the article, this is where he wants to be, and he's not going back to Europe. Yay!
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Pesonen okay with going to AHL

Postby Why So Serious? on Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:52 am

That is good. Because honestly, at this point, it's 4th line duties or the AHL for him. I'm still rooting for the guy, but I knew his chances were always slim. It should make be interesting for the rest of training camp and preseason.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby demondg1 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:15 am

But is the AHL okay with the golden helmet?
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Loaf31 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:19 am

Good to hear... I mean he is an 80 ovr in NHL 09
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:26 am

article has our checking line as:

Checking line: Janne Pesonen* Jeff Taffe Tyler Kennedy lol
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:31 am

PenguinSteve-o wrote:article has our checking line as:

Checking line: Janne Pesonen* Jeff Taffe Tyler Kennedy lol

I think they meant to say our back checking line is... :D
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:03 am

I was shocked to read this last night, but it's good to see the commitment he has to making the NHL and not just making money somewhere. This by far increases the chances that he eventually makes some impact in the NHL since he can spend a little while in WBS, getting used to North American hockey, and then maybe will be in the running for a call-up when they need someone... if he deserves it, of course. This also maybe creates a situation where you can think of him a little more long-term. He's not exactly young, but he isn't old either. They had to sign him to a one year deal, and I'd assume he's a UFA after the season, you'd think the Pens would be his first choice since they gave him this opportunity.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IrishEyes on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:24 am

Henry Hank wrote:I was shocked to read this last night, but it's good to see the commitment he has to making the NHL and not just making money somewhere. This by far increases the chances that he eventually makes some impact in the NHL since he can spend a little while in WBS, getting used to North American hockey, and then maybe will be in the running for a call-up when they need someone... if he deserves it, of course. This also maybe creates a situation where you can think of him a little more long-term. He's not exactly young, but he isn't old either. They had to sign him to a one year deal, and I'd assume he's a UFA after the season, you'd think the Pens would be his first choice since they gave him this opportunity.

Reading the article, and the one in the PG, he talked like he really, really wanted to play for the Pens. I like that.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:32 am

This is very, very good news for the organization as a whole...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:49 am

Regulars will be injured...there will be call-ups. If Nathan The Tank Smith and Minard can get called, I'd be fairly confident that we'd see Peso at some point in the rs.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pensfannn on Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:18 am

Does he have no chance of making a scoring line?
pensfannn
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IrishEyes on Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:15 pm

pensfannn wrote:Does he have no chance of making a scoring line?

I don't think any of us can say "no" chance. But it's seeming that the top two lines are basically set, and he's battling for every piece of ground he can gain. I think more will be evident after Saturday's preseason game, but the chances aren't looking great for Peso to be starting with the big club. But I wouldn't be surprised if he got a call-up.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:28 pm

A lot of things can still shake out at camp. If Pesonen plays as good a two-way game as Dupuis and manages to stay on the pucks as well I see no reason not to try him with Sid. Then Staal could also move back to center opening another wing spot if Talbot bumps down to the 4th line.

But the funny thing is, ROman Simicek and Vlad Vujtek both came into camp as top line players in the dark days.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby spi on Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:32 pm

If Dupuis is locked in on the first line I would be surprised. But Pesonen Sid and the devil may be too Soff. I'd like to see what Pesonen could do with Sid in some of the preseason games.
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Scott on Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:58 pm

spi wrote:If Dupuis is locked in on the first line I would be surprised. But Pesonen Sid and the devil may be too Soff. I'd like to see what Pesonen could do with Sid in some of the preseason games.

If golden helmet is as fast as he seems,,,,then they dont need to be tough. That line will skate past everyone!
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:19 pm

That is awesome, its good to see that he won't let his ego(or his wallet) get in the way. He can learn the game over here and have a much greater chance of making an impact. There will be a spot for him at some point in the not to distant future.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby hank coach on Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:32 pm

After watching him today at Pens Practice and Scrimmage ....No way he should go down.
If he should go down i wouldn't keep him there long. You are wasting to much talent.
He is a really fast and quit player with great vision.....my goodness..........
hank coach
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BillinDayton on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:44 pm

Does anyone really think Dupuis would be significantly more productive than Pesonen in the top line? I think Pesonen would outscore him as I think his tool set is just better...
BillinDayton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby netwolf on Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:20 am

I think Pesonen's overall skill level might be higher than Dupuis', but Dupuis isn't on that line to be a scorer. He's there to forecheck with his speed, be defensively responsible, do the dirty work along the boards and chip in on offense here and there. Crosby and Satan will carry the bulk of the offense for the line. I don't know that Pesonen is cut out for that kind of role.

Like I said earlier, Dupuis could pot 20-25 goals this year and he's still going to get a ton of criticism because he'll also fail to convert 10-15 other chances. He might not be an ideal 1st line winger, but when your team is set up the way the Pens are in terms of salary, you're going to have to fill spots with guys like Dupuis.

It's a long season though and I'd imagine Pesonen will get a look there at some point, Fedotenko as well.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins