Live Scrimmage?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Live Scrimmage?

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:50 pm

Sykora started the year on Crosby's wing. He got demoted for not working hard and not producing.

I don't think Pesonen fits in the top six when it's healthy. He's not an adequate replacement for the role Dupuis is asked to fill. Dupuis is there to do some dirty work and pot in the occasional goal. Satan's the finisher on that line. If anyone, Fedotenko would be a possible better choice than Dupuis, who definitely isn't ideal for any top six role.

Pesonen's willingness to go to the AHL provides a whole new wrinkle to the situation. He can go down there and play top line minutes and adjust to whatever he might need to adjust to in NA hockey. Then if the opportunity presents itself he'll be ready. I think Dupuis-Crosby-Satan makes more sense than Pesonen-Crosby-Satan because I doubt Pesonen is up to the task of doing the board work that Dupuis is more capable of doing.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby demangone on Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:58 pm

Pesonen looked fine on the boards, but he did play the perimeter a whole lot. Also he's not afraid to shoot, which is nice to see. Malkin still carries it in coast to coast, but he's somehow able to get through 2-3 defenders, so no worries there. I noticed that Cooke and Talbot seem to be hitting it off as friends, throw Dupuis in there and that would be a decent third line. Chemistry on and off the ice. Eaton looked great, Gill seems to get frustrated really quickly. I don't remember seeing Sydor or Scuderi, were either of those guys present? Connor James is incredibly fast and that Heinrich dude looks huge. Everyone looked a bit rusty, not that I expected much else, but it's nice to see the organizational depth, which imo looks great.
demangone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:03 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Sykora started the year on Crosby's wing. He got demoted for not working hard and not producing.

I don't think Pesonen fits in the top six when it's healthy. He's not an adequate replacement for the role Dupuis is asked to fill. Dupuis is there to do some dirty work and pot in the occasional goal. Satan's the finisher on that line. If anyone, Fedotenko would be a possible better choice than Dupuis, who definitely isn't ideal for any top six role.

Pesonen's willingness to go to the AHL provides a whole new wrinkle to the situation. He can go down there and play top line minutes and adjust to whatever he might need to adjust to in NA hockey. Then if the opportunity presents itself he'll be ready. I think Dupuis-Crosby-Satan makes more sense than Pesonen-Crosby-Satan because I doubt Pesonen is up to the task of doing the board work that Dupuis is more capable of doing.

^ This.

The idea of Dupuis on the top line is to free Crosby up from doing all the dirty work behind the net and in the corners. Fedotenko makes sense, but they may be trying to spread out the depth right now. If Pesonen can't go into the corners, that means it's all up to Sid to basically cycle by himself and kick pucks out. I don't think that's the best utilization for Crosby. He should be allowed to create all over the ice and not be forced behind the net all the time because his linemates can't do it.

The goal should be to maximize the effectiveness of Crosby and Satan... not sacrifice them to maximize a Finnish player with no NHL experience.

I don't not want Pesonen to succeed, but I'm just saying that when it comes to unproven players, MT doesn't just slot them into prominent roles. I threw Sykora in there as an additional example, but look at Staal, Kennedy, Letang... They were all gradually worked into their roles, not just thrown into an important spot.

By playing Pesonen with the 4th line guys, the coaches can get a better idea of him as a player. He doesn't have the help of a top 3 player in the league. Once they figure out how he plays and what he is best at, they can place him in the proper roles.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Scott on Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:37 pm

bhaw wrote:
KG wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:Looks like

Satan-Crosby-Dupuis
Staal-Malkin-Sykora
Feds-Talbot-Cooke

This shortened training camp isn't allowing Pesonen to get a real shot to make the team as a top 6 forward...

I would let him play with Sid for a little while. We all know what Dupuis is and what he can do...

I said this in another thread... Pesonen won't be GIVEN anything. He's here to prove he belongs on the team. Sid and Malkin can make anyone look good, so he's going to have to prove his can be effective by himself before he is given time with the top line guys. MT has never just put someone on the top line when they have no track record. Even Sykora had to work his way up to Malkin's line.

Like Michell Oulet right? :roll:
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:46 pm

^ Despite the sarcasm, Ouellett had worked his way up with MT through the Baby Pens. Pesonen has done no such thing, and you can also refer to my other examples above. My point still remains.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby awsumpens on Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:17 pm

bhaw wrote:That's cool. Do they have real refs for this thing or are they just coaches dressed in stripes?

They had real refs and linesmen. I don't recall their names, but John Barbaro(sp) announced them at the beginning of the scrimmage. Kind of cool to hear his voice again, can't wait for the regular season to start.
awsumpens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:39 am

Live scrimmage from today is up on the Pens site.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:55 am

its at the end of the second period right now - i watched half the first and all of the second, i think the score is 2-2 but not sure.

1 of the goals I saw was someone passing it to Crosby in front to the right of the goalie, he had to play it off his skate and to his stick and he slid it over to Satan for an easy tap in, another was someone setting up Sykora for a rocket one timer from about the top of the right circle.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:08 am

pesonen just scored one, didnt see the play
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:11 am

Looks like Richmond just scored, unless Satan deflected it...Richmond's strong play continues.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:19 am

Fedotenko just ripped one past MAF. Him and Talbot with a little celebration as well...This live feed is great. Nice find Kovy...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Defence21 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:54 am

For those talking about Pesonen, he scored a goal, according to Jesse, who texted me just after it happened. I saw the play and didn't think it was him, but apparently it was.

I can see him starting in WBS and getting promoted once he adapts to the North American game.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins