The more I think about it...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The more I think about it...

Postby CKA24 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:30 pm

... the more I want Staal on the line with Geno and Sykora.

Dupuis (until he chokes) - Crosby - Satan
Staal - Geno - Sykora
Pesonen - Talbot - Fedo
Cooke - Taffe - Kennedy

If Peso starts to look REALLY good, put Dupers with Talbot and Fedo.... I like the way this team is looking...
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: The more I think about it...

Postby bhaw on Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:35 pm

CKA24 wrote:... the more I want Staal on the line with Geno and Sykora.

Staal - Geno - Sykora
Pesonen - Talbot - Fedo
Cooke - Taffe - Kennedy

If Peso starts to look REALLY good, put Dupers with Talbot and Fedo.... I like the way this team is looking...

Why would you split up the current 3rd line and limit Cooke's time like that? He's a good hockey player.

I look at Cooke-Talbot-Fedotenko and see a great 3rd line. I look at Pesonen-Talbot-Fedotenko and see the 2nd scoring line on a crappy team.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Paekman on Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:38 pm

Cooke-Talbot-Fedotenko sounds like an AWESOME 3rd line. Really gives some grit mixed with skill and solid 2-way capability.

Let's give that one a chance for a while.
Paekman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:39 pm

Is it fair to say...

Staal > Malone
Cooke > Ruutu
Fedotenko > Roberts (at least compared to the contributions you got with him being injured/ill for so much of the season)
Eaton > Scuderi (when all are healthy I'm assuming Scuderi gets bumped out of the lineup)

Compared to downgrades from Hossa to Satan and Staal to Talbot.

Plus Crosby and Malkin and Letang should all be better. The demise of the Pens, compared to the team in the Finals at least, seems to have been pretty overblown to me.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:43 pm

Talbot >= Staal (last year)

I see Talbot getting way more than 12 lamplighters before seasons end. Granted, he's not the big body, but he hits and agitates more than Staal. Long term Staal >>>>>>>> Talbot, but they each fill a role very nicely this year.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:47 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Is it fair to say...

Staal > Malone
Cooke > Ruutu
Fedotenko > Roberts (at least compared to the contributions you got with him being injured/ill for so much of the season)
Eaton > Scuderi (when all are healthy I'm assuming Scuderi gets bumped out of the lineup)

Compared to downgrades from Hossa to Satan and Staal to Talbot.

Plus Crosby and Malkin and Letang should all be better. The demise of the Pens, compared to the team in the Finals at least, seems to have been pretty overblown to me.

Staal>Malone... depends which version of Staal we get, but I hope this ends up being the case. No reason it shouldn't. Hopefully he has a personal goal to outproduce is $8.5M brother this year :D

For the D - I have a hard time giving into the thought that they are better than the playoff D until we see how Orpik comes out. Obviously we all want the Orpik we saw in the playoffs, but I have a hard time assuming he will play just as well. But Eaton helps that group and can go into the top pairing if Orpik blows it.

But overall, I agree. There is not a huge drop off from the playoff team. I've been right there with you in those threads all along :lol:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:49 pm

I guess it depends on which Staal we're comparing. I agree that Talbot can replicate what Staal did during the regular season. On the other hand, I think the Staal of the playoffs is going to be hard for Talbot to match: ~25 goalin a regular season pace, 51.3% faceoffs, can't really match his size as a shutdown center... I still like Talbot for the role but I think it's a downgrade from the team at the end of the season, which a lot of people want to make you believe was far superior to what they have now.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:51 pm

Orpik was playing well before the playoffs, it just showed more then because it was more important.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:57 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Orpik was playing well before the playoffs, it just showed more then because it was more important.

Right, but my point was for most of the year, he was playing so bad no even Tampa Bay would have wanted him. :lol:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CKA24 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:19 pm

bhaw wrote:
CKA24 wrote:... the more I want Staal on the line with Geno and Sykora.

Staal - Geno - Sykora
Pesonen - Talbot - Fedo
Cooke - Taffe - Kennedy

Why would you split up the current 3rd line and limit Cooke's time like that? He's a good hockey player.

I look at Cooke-Talbot-Fedotenko and see a great 3rd line. I look at Pesonen-Talbot-Fedotenko and see the 2nd scoring line on a crappy team.

I just REALLY want to see Peso on the team... I was unaware that Cooke-Talbot-Fedo were together (I guess I missed ALL of the coverage of yesterday... :( )
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:28 pm

Paekman wrote:Cooke-Talbot-Fedotenko sounds like an AWESOME 3rd line. Really gives some grit mixed with skill and solid 2-way capability.

Let's give that one a chance for a while.

Totally agree!

I haven't actually sat down and done my own line up yet to see what I can come up with but actually seeing Cooke-Talbot-Fedotenko written down in front of me gives me chills. This line could be SICK, may one of the best 3rd lines in hockey. It's lines like these that make winning in the playoffs possible.

Oh yeah, some guys named Crosby and Malkin are on the lines 1 and 2......
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins