Preseason game question

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Preseason game question

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:19 pm

dont know if its been posted but ive never been to a preseason game before and im going on WED the 24th. Section A22 for the win. Anyways...how long do the starters or really Crosby/Malkin play? Or is it like they play first period and then the bottom lines play the rest of the games or some younger guys that wont be on the team get alot of playing time, etc?

I went to a Steelers pre season game and the starters played 1 series but you can have 100 players on the side line.

thanks!
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Preseason game question

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:25 pm

Not everyone will even be at the game. There are so many players at camp and only so many get to play in the game.

I dont know who is playing at which game, but I would imagine they roll the lines through and mix things up to get a better look at certain people. I dont think Crosby is competing for a spot on the NHL roster but coaches will want to see line combinations with him and who works best
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Why Not Us on Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:05 pm

The top players play the whole game should they be in.

Coming out of the lockout, the Pens played their top guys- Crosby, Lemieux, Palffy, etc.- and steamrolled a mostly AHL-laden Jackets team 7-2. Mainly because the Pens were at home so they wanted the fans to see the top guys and the Jackets being the road team, wanted to get better looks at their minor leaguers.

Quite possibly could be the same way next Wednesday.
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:17 pm

Crap shoot. I've seen the A team play and not play for the first one over the years.

However, my gut is saying that they'll show for this one b/c it's TB, the camp itself is short, and there's even more demand/interest this year.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby demangone on Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:48 pm

From interviews that I've been reading, it looks as though management will pretty much have their minds made up as to who stays and who goes from camp performance. With the short/intense preseason followed by the overseas games, they want to have their lines solidified asap. I was at the Detroit preseason game last year and I saw a lot of non roster guys play, like Esposito, who was on the ice for a good 20 seconds and had a completely embarassing showing. My guess is, we'll see the final roster and the very best of the potential call ups.
demangone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:03 pm

Whoever is playing will play the entire game, but the minutes will shift, every line probably plays close to equal time.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cojac on Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:18 pm

I'm going on saturday, hopefully MT uses his top 3 lines and top D pairings since it's such a short pre-season
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:19 pm

I just want Stamkos to be playing
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WWGRD on Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:51 pm

No unfortunately