I met Pascal Dupuis today...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

I met Pascal Dupuis today...

Postby purelebo84 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:54 pm

at the JCC in the South Hills.

He's a real cool guy, and can lift a ton as you can imagine. It's always nice to get to talk to a Pens player.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: I met Pascal Dupuis today...

Postby Kicksave on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:13 pm

JCC?

The Jewish Community Center? Was Joopen there?
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joopen on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:34 am

Kicksave wrote:JCC?

The Jewish Community Center? Was Joopen there?

I live in the north hills
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:42 am

JCC?

Jumping Carassus Carrots.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:57 am

Hopefully Dupuis was working on developing his hands at the gym :wink:
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:00 am

Anyone else feel kind of surprised Dupuis got a 3-year deal instead of a 2-year deal? I though Shero was going to give him a 2-year deal. Then on the flipside he doesn't give Ruutu the 3-years he wanted. Jarrko was a ghost in the finals though.

In addition right now i'd say under 20% that Dupuis is still on Line 1 at the end of the season.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby minimal on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:05 am

Nizzy wrote:Anyone else feel kind of surprised Dupuis got a 3-year deal instead of a 2-year deal? I though Shero was going to give him a 2-year deal. Then on the flipside he doesn't give Ruutu the 3-years he wanted. Jarrko was a ghost in the finals though.

In addition right now i'd say under 20% that Dupuis is still on Line 1 at the end of the season.

I was not that surprised, Dupuis is a guy that you know what you will get from game to game. He is consistent and reliable. While I loved Ruutu, he was all over the map.

M.
minimal
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:07 am

Nizzy wrote:Anyone else feel kind of surprised Dupuis got a 3-year deal instead of a 2-year deal? I though Shero was going to give him a 2-year deal. Then on the flipside he doesn't give Ruutu the 3-years he wanted. Jarrko was a ghost in the finals though.

I thought Dupuis would have gotten the usual Shero 2 year deal, yes. But, Dupuis would have gotten 3 years easily on the open market. Especially after everyone saw that he could play on a top line...3 years at $1.4MM per is fair for Dupuis

Ruutu I was never a big fan of. He can go to the Senators for 3 years...Cooke is a much more complete player anyway...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:56 am

Two big differences.

Ruutu will be 35 in the last year of his deal. Dupuis will be 31 (i.e. younger than Ruutu is now).

Ruutu could never play his way above the fourth line for any significant period. Dupuis can be plugged all over the lineup. You typically don't like to give fourth liners multi-year deals like that, especially when they're getting older.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jimjom on Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:34 pm

Was he benching? How much was he benching if so?
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:43 pm

"I met Pascal Dupuis today"

yep, and I bet he failed to make a point.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CKA24 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:57 pm

I like Dupers -- maybe not on the first line, but I like him. I'm glad to have him.

I also agree that Cooke has the instigator skills as well as better overall skill. Happy to have them both here.
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IrishEyes on Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:21 pm

CKA24 wrote:I like Dupers -- maybe not on the first line, but I like him. I'm glad to have him.

I also agree that Cooke has the instigator skills as well as better overall skill. Happy to have them both here.

Did anyone else listen to the Cooke interview from Wednesday's practice? He said flat-out that he doesn't play the same as Ruuts. Sounded like he didn't want to be considered as a replacement so much as someone knew.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:39 pm

IrishEyes wrote:
CKA24 wrote:I like Dupers -- maybe not on the first line, but I like him. I'm glad to have him.

Did anyone else listen to the Cooke interview from Wednesday's practice? He said flat-out that he doesn't play the same as Ruuts. Sounded like he didn't want to be considered as a replacement so much as someone knew.

That makes me want to yell Ruuuuutuuuuuu when he does something good even more.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby netwolf on Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:11 pm

The tough thing for Dupuis is that he could turn in a 20-25 goal season while being defensively responsible and he'd still catch flack for the other 15-20 chances he shanked. Is he an ideal top line winger? No, but given the salary structure of this team, you're going to have to have guys like him filling out the roster. The good thing is that if he does go cold for extended periods, there's a guy like Fedotenko (or Pesonen) that could jump up instead of falling back to the "bump Malkin to wing" strategy.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:15 pm

IrishEyes wrote:Did anyone else listen to the Cooke interview from Wednesday's practice? He said flat-out that he doesn't play the same as Ruuts. Sounded like he didn't want to be considered as a replacement so much as someone knew.

I agree with him 100%, because he doesn't do the "clown" stuff after the whistle, etc. He is a much more "honest" player in terms of his physical play being what drive opponents nuts. Ruutu, as much as I liked him, uses his mouth and after the whistle tactics to drive opponents over the edge.

Physically, everyone will love Cooke much more than Ruutu, because he is a much more consistent hitter, has twice as much quickness from a stop and will score more than Ruutu as well.

I can see why folks would use the terminology of "replacement", but I would call him an upgrade instead.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby WWGRD on Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:20 pm

Can we yell coooooooooooooookkkkkkkeeeeeee?
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins