Camp Surprises

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Camp Surprises

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:39 pm

Anyone that has been at camp any of the days, which of the non-big-name guys impressed you, and which were less than impressive?

I went today, and have a few comments in that regard...

...first of all i don't get why stone and filewich would not be in the scrimmage,, aren't they in the mix for the final 2 spots
...i was very disappointed to see jeffrey wasn't in the scrimmage,, i have been looking forward to seeing him play

As for the guys that impressed me:

1. Caputi - this guy is the real deal. he had tons of shots on net, and his hard work resulted in a goal for lovejoy today. he is great on the puck and goes to the net like a wild man. i think he is closer to being with the big club than a lot of people think
2. Letestu - this guy was flying all over the ice. for a little guy, he really gets right in the mix of things. he has a ton of raw talent, and maybe some day he will get a shot at the show
3. Lovejoy - he played very solid on the back end. did great with and without the puck. chipped in a nice goal, but i would have still listed him here if he hadn't
4. Boogaard - he outperformed all of the other enforcers with about 20 hits out there. he actually skated well and looked like he belonged out there
5. Henrich - i think this guy is going to get called up this year. after looking at his numbers from last year, he really is a great depth signing. he is a big strong centerman who absolutely loves to go to the net.
6. Mormina - a big 6'6 defenseman, he played tough out there. he won every 1-on-1 battle and was knockin dudes around. i like him, and i definitely feel safe if we have to resort to having him with the team at any point

Now for the unimpressive:

1. Richmond - he looked pretty putrid in the scrimmage. he only stood out a few times, but in a bad way. his defensive skill is somewhat lacking.
2. Wallace - i think there were 4 times in the game where the white team turned the puck over because of poor puck support and wallace was the one who wasn't supporting the play each time. he looked terrible.
3. Godard - i honestly think this guy is a total joke. he was SO BAD out there especially in the practice. i hope he had a bad day, because if this is the real godard, i'd rather have boogaard in. this guy might play 2 shifts a game, and only in flyers games
4. Pesonen - he showed me nothing. he really didn't do any bad, but he provided no good either. looked pretty weak on the puck.
5. Engelland - everything Mormina did, this guy didn't do. This goes to show why he was never considered to be one of the "10 NHL defensemen"
6. Bissonnette - he looked out of position quite a lot, never once threw a body... once he took an extra long shift and stayed out with sykora and malkin, however he was nowhere to be found

Just my 2 cents worth on a few of the depth guys in the organization
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Camp Surprises

Postby Jesse on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:46 pm

You are the only person I have seen that has said Danny Richmond didn't look good. The entire first goal was set up by him. If he wouldn't have pinched in and made that play, no goal would be scored. He's the one that got the puck to Caputi. You give Caputi all the credit, but fail to mention that Danny Richmond made a fantastic play on the puck to get it deep and actually was the one that threw it at the net, enabling Caputi to get it in the first place.

I absolutely couldn't disagree an ounce more with your assessment of Richmond.

What about his defensive coverage was "putrid"? Not nitpicking, just saying that pretty much everyone was in agreement that he has been a stud the past two days...

Henrich has been pretty much invisible. He didn't do anything today other than take a penalty.

I also completely disagree that Pesonen is "weak on the puck". If anything, his ability to shed checks and get by defenders is his strongest and most noticable asset...
Last edited by Jesse on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby WWGRD on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:49 pm

Good report Mr. Colby

I'm glad to see Boogaard succeeding in camp, I think he could be a real force one day

I laughed pretty hard after reading about Godard. Honestly, what do you expect? He gets paid to fight. He's the God of Thunder.

Surprised to see Engelland not playing well. He was solid during the Baby Pens playoff run last season

Jesse,

what did you think of Engelland's play so far?
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:51 pm

WWGRD wrote:Good report Mr. Colby

I'm glad to see Boogaard succeeding in camp, I think he could be a real force one day

I laughed pretty hard after reading about Godard. Honestly, what do you expect? He gets paid to fight. He's the God of Thunder.

Surprised to see Engelland not playing well. He was solid during the Baby Pens playoff run last season

Jesse,

what did you think of Engelland's play so far?

Engellend has had a rough camp. Yesterday he got destroyed by Cooke and today he was misplaying pucks left and right.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby WWGRD on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:54 pm

That's not like Engelland, he usually is good defensively and hits a lot

Hopefully he can turn it around in camp

As for Bissonnette being out of position, that's the point -- he changed his position
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby K2 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:55 pm

My buddy was raving about Lovejoy...I think he could be on the NHL squad at least part-time next season
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jesse on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:58 pm

They shifted Bissonnette in on a few defensive shifts, but he wasn't out there long enough to get noticed.

I thought Letestu was rather underwhelming. Dave Gove, however, had a solid day again.

Filewich wasn't in the scrimmage because he didn't deserve to be. He was terrible yesterday and was dragging butt all over the ice during the morning drills. Looks like he lost a step, actually. And, as I said in my camp report yesterday, Dustin Jeffrey's line was pretty rough.

Think about this, WB/S fans.

Goligoski, Richmond, Lovejoy, Engellend, Mormina, Kemp.

That is one great defensive unit.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby purelebo84 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:06 pm

Jesse you're right there.

That's got to be as good of a top 4 as there is in the AHL.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:13 pm

its pretty certain that filewich is done as a penguin
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:19 am

I doubt they'd get rid of him, even though the WBS roster will be crowded. He'll clear waivers. Who knows, maybe he'll go back down there and start scoring again. I wouldn't write him off completely but it's pretty clear he's not making the NHL team... not that it was ever very likely.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:52 am

Jesse wrote:Think about this, WB/S fans.

Goligoski, Richmond, Lovejoy, Engellend, Mormina, Kemp.

That is one great defensive unit.

Tampa Bay called, they want their dream defensive corps back.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:37 am

NOW:

Whitney
Orpik
Gonchar
Scuderi
Gill
Letang
Sydor
Eaton
Goligoski

3 years-ish:

Right now there is 4 guaranteed defenseman:

Whitney
Oprik
Letang
Goligoski

Question Marks in 3 years: Gonchar, Gill, Eaton, Scuderi

Other possible NHLers:

Bortuzzo, Mormina (already 26), Lovejoy, Sneep, Strait (what happened to these last 2 guys?)

So far its looking pretty bright.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sdm5055 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:02 am

If nothing else I want Lovejoy on the big team asap just because of his name
sdm5055
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:04 pm

Nizzy wrote:Sneep, Strait (what happened to these last 2 guys?)

Aren't they college boys who would have to pay their own way to camp?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CKA24 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:05 pm

Pitts wrote:
Nizzy wrote:Sneep, Strait (what happened to these last 2 guys?)

Aren't they college boys who would have to pay their own way to camp?

That is correct!
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby OneTimer on Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:04 pm

Lovejoy, and the WBS D-men in general, except for Engelland.

Coming into this training camp, I was fearful if the Pens would have 3 injuries on D on the NHL roster. Now I know would not be too rough.

Stone has been better than I thought he would be, but I do not think it is going to be enough to make the NHL team.

Filewich has been a surprise in the opposite direction.
OneTimer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby WWGRD on Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:11 pm

I wonder what will happen with Filewich. Maybe we can make a minor trade if he continues to look terrible in the season
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:50 am

Those D corps for WBS are looking damn solid. Jesse, i didn't see in richmond what you did but I believe you about that goal, i didn't realize he was the one who made the play on that left point...

Filewich is screwed. This organization needs to move on. Theres no reason for a guy like him to be hogging ice in WBS from guys that actually have a shot at getting on this team in the future.

Isn't he waiver eligible anyway? There has got to be some team out there that is willing to give him a second chance.

-a little bummed caputi got sent down already. i was hoping to get a chance to see him play tonight. At least Lovejoy is in the lineup, i think that says a lot about his standing in this organization.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins