Pens and Lighnting Lineup for Sept. 20

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens and Lighnting Lineup for Sept. 20

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:11 pm

Henry Hank wrote:What kind of instigator is Cooke? I haven't seen him enough to know. He's one of the more prolific hitters in the league, but he doesn't fight much. Is he the kind of guy that gets under the other team's skin through physical play and an unwillingness to back it up? Or does the also employ the kind of borderline dirty tactics of Ruutu?

I think Cooke will work out a lot better than Ruutu. Ruutu was good when he was on, but he was very inconsistent. Cooke's always among the league leaders in hits, so it looks like he's a constant physical presence. He's also a more productive offensive player. If he can stay away from the stupid holding and hooking penalties Ruutu was known for, he's a nice upgrade at what turned out to be a lower cost than what Ruutu got.

Cooke became expendable in Vancouver because they were lucky enough to have another excellent disturber in Alex Burrows, who is younger. Cooke is very mobile and definitely plays with little regard for himself or his opponent.

I mentioned in another thread that his instigation comes from physical play, and stickwork, but not from the post whistle and verbal crap that Ruutu would throw out there. He drives his opponents crazy with hits, during and then slightly after the play as well. He's a bigger pain in the arse than Ruutu because his instigation hurts every time.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:18 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:What kind of instigator is Cooke? I haven't seen him enough to know. He's one of the more prolific hitters in the league, but he doesn't fight much. Is he the kind of guy that gets under the other team's skin through physical play and an unwillingness to back it up? Or does the also employ the kind of borderline dirty tactics of Ruutu?

I think Cooke will work out a lot better than Ruutu. Ruutu was good when he was on, but he was very inconsistent. Cooke's always among the league leaders in hits, so it looks like he's a constant physical presence. He's also a more productive offensive player. If he can stay away from the stupid holding and hooking penalties Ruutu was known for, he's a nice upgrade at what turned out to be a lower cost than what Ruutu got.

Cooke became expendable in Vancouver because they were lucky enough to have another excellent disturber in Alex Burrows, who is younger. Cooke is very mobile and definitely plays with little regard for himself or his opponent.

I mentioned in another thread that his instigation comes from physical play, and stickwork, but not from the post whistle and verbal crap that Ruutu would throw out there. He drives his opponents crazy with hits, during and then slightly after the play as well. He's a bigger pain in the arse than Ruutu because his instigation hurts every time.

Well said.

My suspicion is that we'll find Cooke + Godard > Ruutu + Laraque
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby demangone on Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:57 pm

I ran into the Cooke the other day at my shop and I told him people in Pittsburgh are going to love him. He responded with, "Maybe, I'm a bit of a Kamikaze." Pittsburgh will definitely love him.
demangone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins