Gonchar Down

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Gonchar Down

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:45 am

bhaw wrote:has there been any update on Gonchar yet?

Post-Gazette this morning said that the team has resigned themselves to the fact that the timetable for his return will be weeks, not days, but that nothing specific has been set and his MRI will be either today or tomorrow.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Metalmike on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:49 am

Let's hope for a fast recovery like when Malkin was injured his first season in Pittsburgh at the hands of John Leclair. Imagine if they weren't on the same team how serious that would have been.

Metal Mike, Canada's #1 Penguins Fan.
Metalmike
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:06 am

3 way trade: If Gonchar is out for a prolonged period...

To Pittsburgh: Schnieder
To LA: Sydor, 3rd round pick from Anaheim
To Anaheim: 4th round pick from LA

Pens get a nice replacement for Gonchar/Whitney in the process they shed Sydor's $2.5MM contract to LA who wants a veteran defenseman.

Anaheim gets the cap relieve they sorely need.

So this would net Schneider to the pens for roughly $3MM...

From reading the posts, sounds like most people are against Schneider...He can still shoot it...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:19 am

KG wrote:3 way trade: If Gonchar is out for a prolonged period...

Pens get a nice replacement for Gonchar/Whitney in the process they shed Sydor's $2.5MM contract to LA who wants a veteran defenseman.

From reading the posts, sounds like most people are against Schneider...He can still shoot it...

Why not just keep Sydor? Aren't they pretty much the same?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:34 am

Pitts wrote:

Why not just keep Sydor? Aren't they pretty much the same?

I agree. I don't think we need to be panicking and making moves like this. We still have 6 solid NHL d-men (and sounds like Gogo, and to a lesser extent, Lovejoy and Richmond would be able to fill in for a few games).
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby lgpen30f987 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:51 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:

Post-Gazette this morning said that the team has resigned themselves to the fact that the timetable for his return will be weeks, not days, but that nothing specific has been set and his MRI will be either today or tomorrow.

Let's just say the injury is 3 week timeframe.

That would have him miss just two games. The home opener is not until the 11th of october. the longest i could see him being out is until the second week of the season and Sydor is just fine until then.

most people forget how stable sydor was in Dallas and he qb'ed the powerplay.

The Pens will be fine..everyone back away from the bridge
lgpen30f987
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby demangone on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:55 am

I have a ParkHurst Sydor rookie card, it says Calder Candidate on it. I have faith in the dude. Does anyone have that picture of him all bloodied up playing for Dallas?
demangone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:57 am

demangone wrote:I have a ParkHurst Sydor rookie card, it says Calder Candidate on it. I have faith in the dude. Does anyone have that picture of him all bloodied up playing for Dallas?

http://www.safehockey.com/sydor.jpg Looks like it's it...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tonysoprano on Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:00 pm

lgpen30f987 wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:

Let's just say the injury is 3 week timeframe.

That would have him miss just two games. The home opener is not until the 11th of october. the longest i could see him being out is until the second week of the season and Sydor is just fine until then.

most people forget how stable sydor was in Dallas and he qb'ed the powerplay.

The Pens will be fine..everyone back away from the bridge

Three weeks could be a conservative estimate. A separated shoulder (assuming that's what it is) has a large scope of recovery time, depending on the severity of the injury. If you remember, Malkin's was mild, while Rozsival's kept him out the better half of a season. There's just no way of knowing until they get in there and get a look at it.
tonysoprano
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby HockeyDaddy on Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:02 pm

This personally sucks for Gonchar. I believe I heard him say that a lot of friends and family were excited for the European game and couldn't wait to see him play in person.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:56 pm

Just saw the hit for the first time...Nothing wrong with it...clean hit...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby maudineormsby on Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:08 pm

KG wrote:Just saw the hit for the first time...Nothing wrong with it...clean hit...

Really? Cause it looks to me like Koci lunges at him pretty bad and might even leave his feet. Mind you, it was a crappy video, but I don't know that I would call that a "clean hit" - borderline more like it. "Clean" and "Legal" are not the same.
maudineormsby
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:15 pm

Lunging isn't illegal.

Here is the best vid you can get of it: http://penguins.nhl.tv/team/console?typ ... &catid=166

It is only a few seconds in after the Staal goal.

The only reason this was so bad for Gonchar is that he didn't prepare for the hit. He was playing like a veteran in a preseason game and Koci was playing like a guy trying to make the team. There is literally NOTHING wrong with the hit.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:17 pm

maudineormsby wrote:
KG wrote:Just saw the hit for the first time...Nothing wrong with it...clean hit...

Really? Cause it looks to me like Koci lunges at him pretty bad and might even leave his feet. Mind you, it was a crappy video, but I don't know that I would call that a "clean hit" - borderline more like it. "Clean" and "Legal" are not the same.

Just looked at it again. I have no problem with the hit. I don't think Gonchar was ready for it, but Koci's elbow's were down. It was more like a full body check...Awkward, but OK to me...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JoseCuervo on Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:18 pm

Clean hit for sure. Gonchar just didn't seem ready for it.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby demangone on Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:19 pm

He left his feet and it was a fairly unnecessary hit, finishing his check or not, he's trying to make the squad like Steve Downie did last year. This is the problem with preseason games, too many guys are playing for too few positions and are doing so at any cost.
demangone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:22 pm

bhaw wrote:Lunging isn't illegal.

Here is the best vid you can get of it: http://penguins.nhl.tv/team/console?typ ... &catid=166

It is only a few seconds in after the Staal goal.

The only reason this was so bad for Gonchar is that he didn't prepare for the hit. He was playing like a veteran in a preseason game and Koci was playing like a guy trying to make the team. There is literally NOTHING wrong with the hit.

Good to see Crosby is looking shot first in the video clip...Hopefully 40+ for Sid this year...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:26 pm

No... he did not leave his feet. It's hard to follow in the video because you just see legs fly, but those are Gonchar's feet in the air. Koci's feet NEVER leave the ground. Falling is not leaving your feet. This is actually getting kind of silly. If Gonchar isn't hurt on the play, no one would even remember that hit as an issue.

It's preseason but it's still hockey. Was it absolutely necessary? No. But no one who is playing for a roster spot is going to pass up on a check like that... you are basically forfeiting a spot on the team when they reveiw the tape and see you hold up on a forecheck like that.

Let's just hope it's not that bad and Gonchar can come back soon.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:29 pm

I take it back... Koci's right leg kicks back as he makes the hit, but his left leg stays down as he goes towards the boards. Regardless, that is not "leaving your feet" to make a check.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:23 pm

Why would Anaheim give up Schneider and a 3th for a 4th rounder, or am I missing something?

Why and how would the Pens take on a guy who makes 5+ million when we are just a hair below the cap ourselves?

This is crazy talk.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:00 pm

The Pens will have to do without Gonch for a few weeks and make no irrational moves.

If Goligoski steps up, fantastic. If not, Letang and Sydor will be expected to step up.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby mikey287 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:48 pm

NJ5934 wrote:Why would Anaheim give up Schneider and a 3th for a 4th rounder, or am I missing something?

They'd take that in a heartbeat, no questions asked, wouldn't think twice about it...after trying to peddle him around for the last year and then waiving him, to find a home for him without so much as taking a player's contract back would be a God send...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:44 am

I didn't want to put this in the other Gonchar injury thread...

For a severely dislocated shoulder, surgery is sometimes needed to correctly position the bones. If you keep dislocating your shoulder, surgery to tighten the tendons surrounding the joint may help.

When Will I Feel Better?
How quickly you recover depends on how serious your shoulder injury is. Separated shoulders may resolve after six weeks. Dislocated shoulders may take longer -- more like three to 12 weeks. But these are just rough estimates. Everyone heals at a different rate.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/dislocated-separated-shoulder
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins