Pre-season Game 1 Report

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pre-season Game 1 Report

Postby cojac on Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:55 am

First off, the Gonchar injury happened right in front of me. David Koci took a huge run at Gonchar and crushed him shoulder first into the boards. He left the ice with what looked to be a left arm/shoulder injury. Eric Godard went after Koci and beat his ass up the next time Koci was out on the ice. Godard opened up a cut above Koci right eye and was a clear cut winner of the fight.

The top 2 lines were very good, both looked to have pretty good chemistry and will score at will this year.

MAF was ok at best, got beat over the shoulders twice, and looked real bad on the 2 shoot out attempts.

Stone hit, fought and played a solid game.

Gologoski is the real deal, he's NHL ready now.

Ben Lovejoy looked solid, and had good puck skills.

Pesonen will be in the NHL this year, he will tear up the AHL.

Orpik was hitting everyone, including Stamkos numerous times.

PS. Kerry Fraser was in mid-season form, just horrible.

Anthem singer Sarah Marince is hotter this year :)
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Pre-season Game 1 Report

Postby gregor on Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:11 am

he better be with Whit and the Potter down
gregor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby manicmonday18 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:27 am

I thought Lovejoy was terrible. He was awkward around the boards the entire game not quite sure what hand to play the puck on and then getting crunched every time down the ice. He also basically gave up on the partial breakaway that the Lightning scored on. He stood on the opposite blue line and kinda glided a little but made no attempt to get back in the play. I hate his number too, so maybe that's why I was so disappointed in him....
manicmonday18
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby demangone on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:07 am

There's a video recap on the Pens site. The Lightning goals were mostly garbage that Fleury shouldn't have let in, he looks a bit rusty and he needs to look bigger in the net and cut down on some angles and not go down so quickly. Some of the opportunities looked like they were created from defensive breakdowns, which really for some of these kids, could've just been nerves which led to bad positioning. Fleury flopped around on that Stamkos shootout goal. The Pens goals looked like all skill and good positioning. Sykora is going to be a beast this year as will Staal. Hopefully Crosby gets more PK minutes because he'll score a lot of SH goals. Pesonen has a weird shaped head but seems like a good dude. I hope they play more Slayer at the games this year.
demangone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:41 am

from the PP.com video...

-yuck, MAF. shake those cobwebs out.
-the gonchar hit wasn't really dirty.
-the goddard fight was entertaining.
-staal's goal was very different from last year's staal
-our power play had sid, geno, staal, sykora and satan on it at one point after sarge was out. wow.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:00 pm

Malkin on left point on the PP.. bad... at least flip him over to the right where he has played before, and performed well.

Makes him totally ineffective.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ron_duguays_hair on Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:23 pm

cojac wrote:First off, the Gonchar injury happened right in front of me. David Koci took a huge run at Gonchar and crushed him shoulder first into the boards. He left the ice with what looked to be a left arm/shoulder injury. Eric Godard went after Koci and beat his ass up the next time Koci was out on the ice. Godard opened up a cut above Koci right eye and was a clear cut winner of the fight.

The top 2 lines were very good, both looked to have pretty good chemistry and will score at will this year.

MAF was ok at best, got beat over the shoulders twice, and looked real bad on the 2 shoot out attempts.

Stone hit, fought and played a solid game.

Ben Lovejoy looked solid, and had good puck skills.

Pesonen will be in the NHL this year, he will tear up the AHL.

Orpik was hitting everyone, including Stamkos numerous times.

PS. Kerry Fraser was in mid-season form, just horrible.

Anthem singer Sarah Marince is hotter this year :)

I totally agree with everything you said. You must be a hockey genius also.
ron_duguays_hair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby chaos5190 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:30 pm

First off, I want to say thank goodness hockey is back :) With that being said, I attended the game and wanted to share my thoughts.

I thought Satan fit in very well on our team for seeing him for the first time. I understand we played a bunch of AHL'ers, but Satan had some great looks and rang one off the post as well. Wasn't it funny seeing him set Sykora up for a goal after watching them fight last year :lol:

The 2 guys I wanted to see were Pesonen and Thomas. Neither really stood out, but neither played bad. Pesonen had a goal that was called off due to a whistle. He also had an assist on Sykoras second goal. Thomas looked like he could defiantly play on the team if need be.

I hope Sarges injury isn't serious. Like him or not, he has a huge role on this team, and puts up a ton of minutes each night.

I guess MT wanted to sit out projected 3rd line of Cooke Talbot Fedotenko, and give some of the other guys a look to see what they can do with the big boys.

Overall, it was nice seeing the boys back on the ice, and now counting the days down until the opener!!
chaos5190
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby relantel on Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:08 pm

from the video highlights, how did Koci not get a boarding call on that hit?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:10 pm

relantel wrote:from the video highlights, how did Koci not get a boarding call on that hit?

It wasn't boarding. It was a legal hit. Totally unnecessary in preseason, but he's a fringe player so will do stuff like that. Sarge was actually a bit lazy to not prepare himself for the shot.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:34 pm

bhaw wrote:
relantel wrote:from the video highlights, how did Koci not get a boarding call on that hit?

It wasn't boarding. It was a legal hit. Totally unnecessary in preseason, but he's a fringe player so will do stuff like that. Sarge was actually a bit lazy to not prepare himself for the shot.

It sure looked like it was clear on the numbers from behind... if not boarding, checking from behind. Not legal, just not called.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:36 pm

Nah it was a good clean hit.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:39 pm

What? I just watched it again to see if I missed something. The only numbers Koci may have hit were the numbers on Gonchar's shoulder. He finished his check. He didn't hit him in the back at all and actually made an effort to make sure he didn't
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:41 pm

bhaw wrote:What? I just watched it again to see if I missed something. The only numbers Koci may have hit were the numbers on Gonchar's shoulder. He finished his check. He didn't hit him in the back at all and actually made an effort to make sure he didn't

um. yeah. usually a player won't go into the boards shoulder first on a boarding hit. the fact that it's an injured shoulder and not a back/neck kinda says it all.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins