Best NHL player? CBS Sportsline says Zetterberg

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Best NHL player? CBS Sportsline says Zetterberg

Postby cs6687 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:34 pm

cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Best NHL player? CBS Sportsline says Zetterberg

Postby JoseCuervo on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:38 pm

He also had him ranked 29th last year. What does that tell you?
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:41 pm

Doesn't matter what this tool says. No GM in their right mind would take Zetterberg over Crosby or Ovechkin.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:47 pm

Cbssportlines rankings have always been a joke...Zetterberg is a great player, more along the lines of a top 7 pick in a fantasy draft...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:49 pm

The part I don't get is how he give Zetterberg all this credit because he is a great all around player. Then in the same breath puts AO above Crosby. If you are looking at who is the best all around, I don't see how you can put AO above Crosby in that regard.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:54 pm

bhaw wrote:The part I don't get is how he give Zetterberg all this credit because he is a great all around player. Then in the same breath puts AO above Crosby. If you are looking at who is the best all around, I don't see how you can put AO above Crosby in that regard.

But he is good at shooting and scoring.

The complete package.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:01 pm

bhaw wrote:The part I don't get is how he give Zetterberg all this credit because he is a great all around player. Then in the same breath puts AO above Crosby. If you are looking at who is the best all around, I don't see how you can put AO above Crosby in that regard.

Crosby may have AO beaten in playmaking and defensive work, but AO beats him in cool nicknames and rakish good looks. Advantage, AO.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ffemtreed on Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:02 pm

I would take Datsyuk over zetterberg any day. Until Zetterberg can do what he did last year day in and day out, for a couple years then I might consider him one of the top 10 in the league, Right now he doesn't even crack my top 20 or maybe even 30 if I think about it.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby André on Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:04 pm

ffemtreed wrote:I would take Datsyuk over zetterberg any day. Until Zetterberg can do what he did last year day in and day out, for a couple years then I might consider him one of the top 10 in the league, Right now he doesn't even crack my top 20 or maybe even 30 if I think about it.

POTW :D

Can't believe Detroit management hasn't noticed this, better give them a heads up.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby spi on Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:52 pm

7. Evgeni Malkin, C: Ok, so he didn't have a post-season to remember, but Malkin is the real thing and he proved it with the way he stepped it up when Crosby went down

Wait a second, i thought that Geno had a hell of a playoff with the exception of the finals. he was arguably their most lethal offensive weopon in the first 3 rounds. More so that Hossa and Sid. If that quote had said that he didnt have a great final that is one thing but i have tons of great Geno memories from that run.

What does CBS know about hockey anyway.
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby steelhammer on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:09 pm

"10. Joe Thornton, C: There's nothing he can't do on the ice, at least during the regular season."

nothing except score goals.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:13 pm

Zetterberg played Sid consistently well, as well as I have seen a forward do. BUT, that said, Sidney finished tie with him for points in the post season.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:23 pm

penny lane wrote:Zetterberg played Sid consistently well, as well as I have seen a forward do. BUT, that said, Sidney finished tie with him for points in the post season.

If you are considering ranking players based on their total game, including defensive abilities and intangibles, I totally understand a debate between Zetterberg and Crosby outside of Pittsburgh. You can make a case for either.

The problem with the list is he uses that argument to put Zetterberg at the top then ADDs out for his 2nd pick of AO... apparently forgetting that he mentions how important Zetterberg's defensive ability is in getting him the top spot.

Moral of the Story: Take your ridilyn before writing your articles.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:23 pm

Not sure why I quoted you when I wrote that Penny :D
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby farnham16 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:28 pm

If this guy is basing his rankings off all around ability, then top 3 is any combo of Crosby, Malkin, and Zetterburg.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:41 pm

steelhammer wrote:"10. Joe Thornton, C: There's nothing he can't do on the ice, at least during the regular season."

nothing except score goals.

QFT
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:45 pm

farnham16 wrote:If this guy is basing his rankings off all around ability, then top 3 is any combo of Crosby, Malkin, and Zetterburg.

I'd consider putting Lidstrom in there.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wallflower on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:57 pm

Pitts wrote:Doesn't matter what this tool says. No GM in their right mind would take Zetterberg over Crosby or Ovechkin.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Why So Serious? on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:18 pm

Pitts wrote:Doesn't matter what this tool says. No GM in their right mind would take Zetterberg over Malkin, Crosby or Ovechkin.

Fixed.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Das boot on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:41 pm

ffemtreed wrote:I would take Datsyuk over zetterberg any day. Until Zetterberg can do what he did last year day in and day out, for a couple years then I might consider him one of the top 10 in the league, Right now he doesn't even crack my top 20 or maybe even 30 if I think about it.

POTW :D

Can't believe Detroit management hasn't noticed this, better give them a heads up.

Sydor for Zetterberg straight up :lol:

Totally kidding
Das boot
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:05 pm

Zetterberg was the best player in the SCF (by a wide margin). That said, it doesn't make you the best player in the world. Filippula looked better than Sid and Malkin in the finals, does that make him better?

I don't think you'll find any GM in the league that would take Zetterberg over Sid, AO, and Malkin.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby KewellHandLuke on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:27 am

Is it me or do the players that he ranks in the 40s look better than the players he ranks in the 20s?
KewellHandLuke
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KewellHandLuke on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:36 am

As an admitted black-and-gold glasses wearing pens fan, I can't argue with Zetterberg being ranked #1. I'm not sure if I would put him number one, but how can anyone say that at this precise moment in time there isn't an argument for Zetterberg or AO? It certainly isn't a ridiculous or uneducated top 3 and if you take away your Penguin bias, there really isn't any argument against it (mostly due to his obvious short memory and the fact that this is heavily based on last year's performances and not much else). It's not who has more potential or scored more points or what player a GM would start a franchise with, it is simply the best hockey player in the world right now.
KewellHandLuke
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:52 am

KewellHandLuke wrote:As an admitted black-and-gold glasses wearing pens fan, I can't argue with Zetterberg being ranked #1. I'm not sure if I would put him number one, but how can anyone say that at this precise moment in time there isn't an argument for Zetterberg or AO? It certainly isn't a ridiculous or uneducated top 3 and if you take away your Penguin bias, there really isn't any argument against it (mostly due to his obvious short memory and the fact that this is heavily based on last year's performances and not much else). It's not who has more potential or scored more points or what player a GM would start a franchise with, it is simply the best hockey player in the world right now.

I seriously DO NOT think Zetterberg is the best player in the world, even "right now."
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:55 am

I think we're missing the point of this article. You could argue Zetterberg, AO, Sid or Malkin, maybe others.

But let me ask this: Which online article would get more hits? Putting Sid at #1, or putting someone other than Sid or AO at #1?

THAT is the objective/point of this article, and every other silly online ranking that everyone gets so riled up about. (not necessarily in this thread - but definitely in others)
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins