So what are our Power Play units?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

So what are our Power Play units?

Postby ron_duguays_hair on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:30 pm

Forgive me, but I'm far too lazy to look through the game thread.

Thanks!
ron_duguays_hair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: So what are our Power Play units?

Postby netwolf on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:18 pm

Not sure if you were asking about tonight specifically, or heading into the season in general.

The top unit was stacked with Staal in front, Satan down low, Crosby on the RW boards, Gonchar at left point and Malkin on the right. With Gonchar out, Malkin apparently will move to right point and I'm guessing Letang will get first crack at left. Sydor might get a look there if Letang falters.

Sykora might see time in Satan spot on the top unit, but right now it looks like he'll be on the second one. The rest of that unit is up in the air. Sydor figures to be there unless he gets on the first one, and if Goligoski sticks, he'll be there as well. You could see Eaton and Orpik get there on occaision as both saw time there in the preseason so far. I would think Fedotenko would be a virtual lock for the second one and Kennedy might have the inside track on being the center, at least right now.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:35 pm

crosby left point
malkin right point
sykora on the right boards as a shooter
satan keeping possession and sneaking into the slot down low on the left
staal at the top of the crease

it CAN, nay, it will work.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:49 pm

netwolf wrote:The top unit was stacked with Staal in front, Satan down low, Crosby on the RW boards, Gonchar at left point and Malkin on the right. With Gonchar out, Malkin apparently will move to right point and I'm guessing Letang will get first crack at left. Sydor might get a look there if Letang falters.

In the game Wednesday against Toronto it was always Goligoski going with the first unit. Even when he was out on the ice for a 45+ second shift when the penalty was called and Letang was fresh, Goligoski was kept on the ice with the top power play unit.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:13 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
netwolf wrote:The top unit was stacked with Staal in front, Satan down low, Crosby on the RW boards, Gonchar at left point and Malkin on the right. With Gonchar out, Malkin apparently will move to right point and I'm guessing Letang will get first crack at left. Sydor might get a look there if Letang falters.

In the game Wednesday against Toronto it was always Goligoski going with the first unit. Even when he was out on the ice for a 45+ second shift when the penalty was called and Letang was fresh, Goligoski was kept on the ice with the top power play unit.

I saw that as well, but took it to mean "we need to see how much Goligoski can handle; let's throw the sink at him and see what happens." IIRC, he lead the entire team in ice time the night Gonchar got hurt. Wanting to get as much of a look at him as possible in a short time is the only way that stat makes sense. He's a great prospect, and has had a good camp/preseason, but he's not playing so well that he earned almost 30 minutes of ice time.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:17 pm

netwolf wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:

I saw that as well, but took it to mean "we need to see how much Goligoski can handle; let's throw the sink at him and see what happens." IIRC, he lead the entire team in ice time the night Gonchar got hurt. Wanting to get as much of a look at him as possible in a short time is the only way that stat makes sense. He's a great prospect, and has had a good camp/preseason, but he's not playing so well that he earned almost 30 minutes of ice time.

More often than not, with young players, their given extended work loads for the reasons you mention, while some of the more proven players take a back seat. One exception might be Sydor, who likely will be used in additional roles this season, so he's getting extra looks right now.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:23 pm

Oh, and for what it's worth, here would be my powerplay units:

Staal - Crosby - Sykora (until Satan proves his way onto the line)
Letang - Malkin

Fedotenko - Crosby/Malkin - Satan
Eaton - Goligoski

The way I see it, Crosby and Malkin could take turns double shifting onto the second unit to give that group more of an offensive flare.

The first unit should include Sykora, who, in my opinion, is deserving of the right wing role based on his season last year and his familiarity with the team. Satan shouldn't just be given the spot because of what he has done 2 or 3 years ago -- or because he is Crosby's winger, for that matter.

Lastly, I like Eaton on the second PP because he is solid defensively and is capable of making a nice first pass and also skating the puck up the ice. His roots are as an offensive defenseman.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:32 pm

Defence21 wrote:Oh, and for what it's worth, here would be my powerplay units:

Staal - Crosby - Sykora (until Satan proves his way onto the line)
Letang - Malkin

Fedotenko - Crosby/Malkin - Satan
Eaton - Goligoski

The way I see it, Crosby and Malkin could take turns double shifting onto the second unit to give that group more of an offensive flare.

The first unit should include Sykora, who, in my opinion, is deserving of the right wing role based on his season last year and his familiarity with the team. Satan shouldn't just be given the spot because of what he has done 2 or 3 years ago -- or because he is Crosby's winger, for that matter.

Lastly, I like Eaton on the second PP because he is solid defensively and is capable of making a nice first pass and also skating the puck up the ice. His roots are as an offensive defenseman.

well this is the most plausible lineup (assuming gogo's in for sydor). this is exactly what i expect. but...

i still want my 5 forward power play
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby purelebo84 on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:08 pm

Satan-Crosby-Sykora
Malkin-Letang

Fedotenko-Staal-Cooke
Goligoski-Orpik

It would look a lot better with 55 and 19 present.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby André on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:04 am

tombarrassorules wrote:
purelebo84 wrote:Satan-Crosby-Sykora
Malkin-Letang

Fedotenko-Staal-Cooke
Goligoski-Orpik

It would look a lot better with 55 and 19 present.

staal not on that first unit is a mistake. sykora is nice, if you want staal to get back to 29 goals, he's gotta be infront of the crease on the first one. otherwise he'll have the same numbers as last year.

Don't think top six minutes next to Malkin alone will get his numbers up from last year? ;)

He'll be expensive enough to re-sign as it is, too :P
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:32 am

Someone better tell Letang that he needs to be extra conservative with Geno on the other point lol.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:39 am

Crosby/Staal/Satan

Letang/Malkin
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jimmy Straka on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:25 am

this is a depressing thread without whitney and gonchar
Jimmy Straka

Postby shmenguin on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:10 pm

Jimmy Straka wrote:this is a depressing thread without whitney and gonchar

is it?

losing gonchar hurts. but while whitney was more than serviceable, he's also more than replaceable (i mean, he was already replaced last year). he shouldn't be on the top unit when healthy.

and while we'd clearly be better off with gonchar, he's not without issues. he's not good at bringing the puck up-ice and i really don't know why that was ever the gameplan. whoever is taking his place in this department will be an upgrade (which is important since establishing the zone is the only real issue we ever have).
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:15 pm

PP 1 = Malkin

That is all.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:07 pm

Staal - Malkin - Sykora

TheTang - Gogo

When Geno runs the show, things get done.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:19 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:Staal - Malkin - Sykora

TheTang - Gogo

But where is Mango Salsa?
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:39 pm

meow wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:Staal - Malkin - Sykora

TheTang - Gogo

But where is Mango Salsa?

At the buffet.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins