Jesse Marshall for NHL Commisioner

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Jesse Marshall for NHL Commisioner

Postby netwolf on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:22 pm

Why Sweden Is A Bad Idea

This isn’t a knock on any of our Swedish readers, either (I’m looking at you, Henke). It’s just that, well, the NHL has it’s own problems here, in our home country.

And that’s root of how absurd the NHL opening in Europe is, it’s the obvious answer. The game in North America still isn’t as solid as it could be. Years after the lockout, the NHL is still on the outside looking in. Has anyone told this to Bill Daly or Gary Bettman?

Think about this. Rather than having two teams open the season halfway on the other side of the world, we go to my mastermind alternate plan instead.

Read the rest of the linked article and I think you'll agree that Jesse should be the next league commissioner.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Jesse Marshall for NHL Commisioner

Postby bhaw on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:28 pm

Very good idea. It makes TOO MUCH sense tho.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CKA24 on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:37 pm

Or... Bettman is REALLY trying to send Nashville, Miami, and the Devils overseas...
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:44 pm

The first thing I'd do as commissioner is install Netbot's in each NHL office.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:48 pm

Jesse wrote:The first thing I'd do as commissioner is install Netbot's in each NHL office.

...but would you allow avatars and signatures?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:10 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Jesse wrote:The first thing I'd do as commissioner is install Netbot's in each NHL office.

...but would you allow avatars and signatures?

He'd have to re-program me first. I'm staunchly opposed to both. :P
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby K2 on Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:59 pm

CKA24 wrote:Or... Bettman is REALLY trying to send Nashville, Miami, and the Devils overseas...

Not a bad idea
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby André on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:25 am

That piece completely ignores how Major TV-revenues are for the NHL and that European channels are part of paying for those licences. This because tons of Europeans want to watch the NHL. This because 30% of all NHL players are European, and a higher percentage than that of the game's top players are Europeans.

Whenever someone's against games in Europe they mention how it's their teams, the NHL has enough problems in America and that the time change sucks. Well guess what, watching games at 2 pm is not worse than at 2 am. For the NHL to increase revenues I'm sure it's important to keep Europe happy and about not liking your team starting in Europe we're talking one game. That's one game like every ten years. Aw, poor native fans missing out on the action.

Europe sees all its best players leave for America, pay to air their games (in the middle of the night) but you can't live with four teams playing two games in Europe (a rotation of this means you'll miss one home game every eight years)?

London was a failure because England's not a hockey market. Finland, Sweden, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Russia and lots of other smaller European countries are. We pay to watch on tv, we pay for merchandise and these games will increase this interest. There's been lots of fuzz about the upcoming games for weeks now.

So both business wise and as a way to give something back to the Europan fans these games make alot of sense.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nizzy on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:58 am

Instead of playing 2 regular season games over there, why not play ALL the preseason games overseas? Honestly take all 30 teams in the league to different locations in europe to play the 5 preseason games. You can continue to have games like Pittsburgh vs Jokerit, to still promote the NHL, and for the Europeans to see our team's play theirs.. Then come home have 3-4 days off and then start the season.

I really think this is stupid because 16 other teams in the NHL will be playing a preseason game on October 4th when the Penguins are playing a REGULAR SEASON game. Makes no sense to me.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ginger on Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:04 am

netwolf wrote:

:P How come you're just never any fun anymore? Without signatures & avatars, we remain...just dull us. That's not cool. :D
Jesse really got it right. I'm still not sure I understand where they're trying to go with this 'European connection'. I guess ya had to be at the meeting...

I have a caption opportunity for everyone tho'...

Therrien & Shero take in practice

My caption - Therrien aside "Do you think we could get these seats in our new arena?"
Shero (above) "I don't know - just a sec & I'll text Mario & find out."
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:17 am

"Let's Go Bucs!!! Let's Go Bucs!!! Let's Go Bucs"
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby npv708 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:41 am

I have heard from very credible sources that Jesse Marshall was part of the Keating Five, worked with Ayers and Rezko, followed under Rev Wright, had an affair with a lobbyist, and is a radical Muslim Terrorist...

He also wants to sit down and have tea with the terrorists, increase spending, tax everyone more than ever before, and annex Iraq as the 51st state.

This is why you should vote no for Jesse Marshall in the ...wait wrong thread...

Jesse definitely has some good points..
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Member on Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:13 pm

Ginger wrote:Image

"So this is what going to a New Jersey Devils game feels like."
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:51 pm

Shero [to Ryan Stone]: "Vile thing, you make my butt sting! I detest you! "
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby npv708 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:05 pm

I know we're on the waiting list, but can't we get any closer seats to the igloo?
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:10 pm

I never understood the argument that they shouldn't go to Europe because they have problems to fix in America. How does playing four regular season games out of hundreds handicap any efforts to work on the state of the game in the US? Why can't they both go to Europe for special events like this and continue on the effort of making hockey bigger in the US? It just doesn't seem like one has anything to do with the other here.

Personally, I like that they are going to Europe. Hockey is more international than any of the other major American sports. These European countries have seen their stars leave the local leagues for the NHL without getting compensated much. Hockey is huge in a lot of the European countries. It's bigger than just the NHL. It's about hockey in general. I have no problem with throwing the fans there a bone. I think they'd be stupid to ignore the potential market there because there are people there that are or would be interested in the NHL. There's no reason they can't reach out to European markets while still focusing in the US.

The NHL isn't even entirely US anyway, six of the teams are in Canada. It seems silly to me that they should only focus on the US and ignore the game globally.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:23 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I never understood the argument that they shouldn't go to Europe because they have problems to fix in America. How does playing four regular season games out of hundreds handicap any efforts to work on the state of the game in the US? Why can't they both go to Europe for special events like this and continue on the effort of making hockey bigger in the US? It just doesn't seem like one has anything to do with the other here.

Personally, I like that they are going to Europe. Hockey is more international than any of the other major American sports. These European countries have seen their stars leave the local leagues for the NHL without getting compensated much. Hockey is huge in a lot of the European countries. It's bigger than just the NHL. It's about hockey in general. I have no problem with throwing the fans there a bone. I think they'd be stupid to ignore the potential market there because there are people there that are or would be interested in the NHL. There's no reason they can't reach out to European markets while still focusing in the US.

The NHL isn't even entirely US anyway, six of the teams are in Canada. It seems silly to me that they should only focus on the US and ignore the game globally.

So you think opening in Sweden with a 2:30 Saturday Afternoon game is a better idea than the opening I proposed?
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:46 pm

They planned this event far before the Pens in Wings faced off in the Finals and Hossa left for the dark side. The Pens obviously agreed to go along, which they didn't have to do. In general, I don't mind the NHL playing a handful of regular season games, out of the hundreds that are played, in European countries as a treat to the fans overseas. Taking the Pens out of the equation, I think it's good for the game globally without having an effect on efforts to make it bigger in the US.

I actually do like the 2:30 starts. I have Saturday night open plus Sunday night for the Steelers. We'll get our treat when we're in the arena on the 11th. This is no different from the team starting the season on the road in some NHL city.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:01 pm

Usually, the reason that teams agree to this type of thing is because the team gets a pay day out of it. So even if they're doing it out of their own free will, I doubt that they volunteered to do it out of the pure excitement of it all.

I think it would be cool to match up the prior SC finals on the opening day (like how the NFL has the superbowl champ play opening night), and I think a pit/det matchup would be too cool for words. But I don't think this is that big of a deal. The Pens get a lot of time off after the 5th (did Anaheim/LA get the same break?), so I doubt it will be too disruptive to their routine.

As for abandoning their core market, I don't know. I think hockey is so far behind the pack in popularity that no single act could have a real impact. It doesn't help, but at the same time, I don't know if many Americans would recognize the difference between Jesse's proposal and the actual plan. And since there are so many Euros in the NHL, it wouldn't hurt league revenues to push for a bigger presence over there. And big league revenues means we can re-sign Staal :lol:

What the league really needs is a Chinese super star a la Yao Ming. That'll take care of all the desired international revenue and then some.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensBeerGeek on Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:20 pm

It gets even better....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3614334

"Kelly: As many as eight teams could open next season in Europe

With four teams in Europe to kick off the 2008-09 regular season this week it's possible that number could double next fall, the head of the National Hockey League's Players' Association, Paul Kelly, said Sunday."
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:27 pm

I really think these European games are more for keeping the IHF happy. Aren't the transfer agreements under duress, even with countries other than Russia?

Imagine if FIFA started signing U.S. players away from the MLS, even though there was a transfer agreement (I know, I know this is pure science fiction). Wouldn't it be nice to see the U.S. players in an exhibition game on North American soil as kind of an appeasement?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Scott on Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:34 pm

I don't have a problem with them opening in Europe.

As far as what you propose the first game be, I don't like it.

I would love to see a Saturday night in Dec or Jan, to have the Pens play the Wings. 8:00 on a national broadcast. The Saturday would have to come with no college football. So that means before the bowl games or after they are done.

The NBA has done wonders with their Christmas day matchups.

It could even be a Thanksgiving night game, after football. Start time at 8:30. They could always schedule the previous year SC matchup on that night.

Det and the Pens on opening night is too soon. Hard to have a hope to see you again in June attitude in early October.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ron` on Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:45 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I never understood the argument that they shouldn't go to Europe because they have problems to fix in America. How does playing four regular season games out of hundreds handicap any efforts to work on the state of the game in the US? Why can't they both go to Europe for special events like this and continue on the effort of making hockey bigger in the US? It just doesn't seem like one has anything to do with the other here.

They have failed to make the NHL mainstream in the USA, largest market by far. This only makes sense that they try to turn it into an international sport like soccer. More exposure and well, more revenue. Let the free market roll.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:07 pm

Ginger wrote:
netwolf wrote:

:P How come you're just never any fun anymore? Without signatures & avatars, we remain...just dull us. That's not cool. :D

Don't hate the mod, hate the posters. :P I've seen people get Admin's "attention" for what they put in the location field. Those kinds of posters are why the rest of us can't have any fun. Just be happy you can still post pics and web-links. :wink:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:11 pm

I love the lack of sigs, they would get in the way. Avatars would be ok, and I know what i'd use, but not a big deal either.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins