Official Game Thread Planning and Discussion Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby cs6687 on Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:14 pm

If not, I'll take the opener. If the Pens fail to win that first game, I'll bannish myself from doing game threads for the remainder of the season.

If not, no biggy. I'll take the first available game.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Has anyone claimed the gameday thread for next Saturday?

Postby blackjack68 on Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:29 pm

All yours Premature Pete!!! :)
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby EagleMorph on Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:48 pm

Game threads can't be claimed yet. For one, there's still another preseason game to be played.

Rules state that game threads cannot be claimed until it is the "next" game in line.

Also, I think Rocco usually designates an opening day starter and the free for all begins after that.
EagleMorph
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:50 pm

I hereby banish myself from running GDT threads for the season for no apparent reason.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kicksave on Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:56 pm

EagleMorph wrote:Game threads can't be claimed yet. For one, there's still another preseason game to be played.

Rules state that game threads cannot be claimed until it is the "next" game in line.

Also, I think Rocco usually designates an opening day starter and the free for all begins after that.

Rocco is one of those self-loathing cool kids who thinks he's too good for the job.

I nominate EM for the coaching position.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dagny on Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:13 pm

Also, whoever it was that stated that Rocco would come crawling back (in some other thread), doesn't know Rocco very well. We gave it our best shot to talk him out of quitting, but he's remained adamant.

The juju states it's time for a new coach...

Personally, I like the nomination of EagleMorph (if he's interested). Ultimately, I think Rocco should name his successor, though. But. . . that's just me. :D

Regardless, I'll always be here to incessantly remind people what the official GDT rules are. :P
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:21 pm

dagny wrote:Also, whoever it was that stated that Rocco would come crawling back (in some other thread), doesn't know Rocco very well. We gave it our best shot to talk him out of quitting, but he's remained adamant.

The juju states it's time for a new coach...

Personally, I like the nomination of EagleMorph (if he's interested). Ultimately, I think Rocco should name his successor, though. But. . . that's just me. :D

Regardless, I'll always be here to incessantly remind people what the official GDT rules are. :P

That was me, but it had nothing to do with who was quitting. Anytime someone says they are leaving or quitting anything ever, I say that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:39 pm

Maybe there could be some sort of a sticky note called game thread sign up or sign in . I know for the maple leafs they have a calendar, probably all filled out for the season. Yes, stuff happens, and people can't be available, but just a way to get it organized. Maybe go month by month?
*Although, I don't want to put a jinx on the way it has been done.

from a non-clique type
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tperko on Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:58 pm

i can't wait! i took a break from the boards during the offseason/preseason but i plan on fully participating on the gameday-make-it-thru-work threads

still adjusting to the new board, looks great! everyone ramped up for another season>????
tperko
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:45 am

tperko wrote:i can't wait! i took a break from the boards during the offseason/preseason but i plan on fully participating on the gameday-make-it-thru-work threads

still adjusting to the new board, looks great! everyone ramped up for another season>????

I think i'm gonna miss the offseason, it was a good one.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kicksave on Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:13 am

Maybe we should old a LGP election over the next week? Gather a few candidates. Have them give their plan as to how they would run the GDT calendar and have a poll?
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby EagleMorph on Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:14 am

This is being addressed in a new thread. Please look there.

netwolf note: I've been meaning to try out the new thread merge function, so the two are now one. :D
EagleMorph
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby EagleMorph on Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:20 am

We must determine in the next couple of days who will be the leader of our game thread starters this year. Rocco has led for as long as I can remember, but rumors abound say that he has stepped away from his duties.

If Rocco is no longer the head honcho, then we should have a brief discussion period to name a new one. I would be honored to be one of those candidates, but first I must check to make sure that my schedule will allow it.

Because, the first role of the manager is to be the opening day good juju setter. So, he or she must be available to start the game thread on October 4th. Faceoff is at 2:30, thread must be up before that (preferably 15 minutes or more, but no more than an hour before).

The manager is also responsible for making sure all "game thread" claims and rules are followed.

Couple of reminders:
1. Game Thread starters are allowed to continue as long as they keep winning. You lose, someone else gets to jump in.
2. Game Thread stealing will result in a slap on the wrist. Continued thievery will result in being buried in an avalanche of bananas.
3. You must stay in the game thread at all times and be a semi-active poster. Abandoning your post, or saying you'll start a thread and not doing it without a legitimate excuse results in a suspension trip to Ecuador for a period of time determined by the nature of the offense.
4. Game Thread starters must be "moderators" at all times and keep an eye out for bad juju, off-topic discussions, and non-Penguins or Penguins broadcast discussion.

If you feel you or someone else is up to the task, nominations may be made here. We'll take them for a couple of days, have a poll in the middle of the week for a day or so, and the vote winner will be the manager.

Candidates may withdraw at any point in time until the voting begins. Please keep all discussions to this topic, including candidate eligibility, entry, and withdrawal to this post.

Thanks, and godspeed.
EagleMorph
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Official Game Thread Planning and Discussion Thread

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:37 am

I nominate EagleMorph as the manager.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wallflower on Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:22 am

If Rocco has in fact walked way, then I'll second the nomination for EagleMorph.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cs6687 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:29 am

EagleMorph
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sdm5055 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:31 am

I will go with EagleMorph if Rocco indeed steps away as he has claimed

as long as i get a shot at a start this season.... come on coach I am ready for the show!!
sdm5055
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby minimal on Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:45 pm

I would vote EagleMorph as well... and I'd like to throw my name in for a few starts this year... After a season in the minors, the shoulder is healed and the breaking-ball is better than ever!

M.
minimal
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:15 pm

If (and only if) Rocco really is stepping down, EagleMorph is fine with me, though I have to say I'm not a big fan of the whole "start until you lose" thing. I think it's a bit of a cop-out for the manager; it minimizes the decision-making.

Besides, I can trump what anyone else wants if it comes to that anyhow. I'm a power-hungry jerkwad, don't forget. :twisted:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dagny on Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:07 pm

netwolf wrote:If (and only if) Rocco really is stepping down, EagleMorph is fine with me, though I have to say I'm not a big fan of the whole "start until you lose" thing. I think it's a bit of a cop-out for the manager; it minimizes the decision-making.

Besides, I can trump what anyone else wants if it comes to that anyhow. I'm a power-hungry jerkwad, don't forget. :twisted:

Oh yeah! I totally forgot that I was dying to hear what your new idea was. . . before you disappeared.

So. . . let's hear it! Implementation doesn't depend on your being the manager, does it?

If you weren't already a mod, you would've been my first nomination. That said, I throw my vote in for EM.

BUT I STILL WANT TO HEAR YOUR IDEA! :D

(Edit: FWIW, I'm with you on the start til you lose thing. It should be determined at the time if the previous starter, starting again, is in the Pens' best interest. :wink: )
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: 2008-2009 Official Game Thread Standings

Postby Kicksave on Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:43 pm

Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jimjom on Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:58 pm

Can I get one at some point? I think I'd be an asset to the corporation. Maybe in November some time, let me know.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kicksave on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:00 pm

netwolf wrote:If (and only if) Rocco really is stepping down, EagleMorph is fine with me, though I have to say I'm not a big fan of the whole "start until you lose" thing. I think it's a bit of a cop-out for the manager; it minimizes the decision-making.

Considering EM did most of the work last year until Rocco came out during the playoffs, I doubt we'll miss a beat with EM.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kicksave on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:22 pm

Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PittPensFan on Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:38 pm

Eagle for Pres.
PittPensFan