Gonchar out 4-6 months!!!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Gonchar out 4-6 months!!!

Postby Gaucho on Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:56 am

We're toast.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby HendrickMoto on Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:58 am

That really SUCKS!!!!
HendrickMoto

Postby Nizzy on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:40 am

Guys lets all just calm down. Look injuries happen. It's going to be okay. Last year we all got a bit excited with the cup run. This is the NHL. The season is a marathon. This team is so young still.

I don't look at this season being over or anything like that. Once Staal signs then we have Crosby/Malkin/Staal/Whitney/Orpik/Fleury signed for the next 5-6 years. Our team is a complete gift. Straight gift wrapped from a baby Jesus's diaper. Franchises would kill to have the team we have set up. Just enjoy it while we have it. Let's be realisitic, we aren't going to play in the Stanley Cup every year. It doesn't happen, it CAN'T happen in todays NHL. I'll be more then happy if we only win the Stanley Cup 1 time in the next 10 years. Thats how hard it is.

We will be okay. Don't think about "oh we can't win the cup now" or anything like that. ANYTHING is possible in hockey espically in the playoffs. Our Defensive depth is stacked. Just call up the Diesel Joey Mormina, or Paul Bissonnette if anymore injuries. We still got Sneep/Strait still in the NCAA and Bortuzzo coming up in a few years.

Our team is so set for the next 5 years, I'm not even worried. Penguins still going to win it all this year.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:57 am

bhaw wrote:
doublewinder wrote:You know what really sucks.....WE COULD HAVE HAD MATT SCHNEIDER two days ago!!!!!!!

What? Are you advocating we SHOULD have picked up Schneider? We should have given up assets for him? This is why you keep 8 NHL dmen (not counting Goligoski). You don't carry those players if you are uncomfortable with the notion of any combination of them playing together.

Atlanta gave up anything but assets...Pure salary dump by both teams to make the money work...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:57 am

Evgeni ~ our QB on the PP. It is a niche that Evgeni can take as his own and make the pens strong.
Good luck to him. Challenges are oxygen to Sid and Evgeni.

All the best to Sergei...probably will run into R Mendenhall in rehab along the way.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lgpen30f987 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:01 am

Nizzy wrote:Guys lets all just calm down. Look injuries happen. It's going to be okay. Last year we all got a bit excited with the cup run. This is the NHL. The season is a marathon. This team is so young still.

I don't look at this season being over or anything like that. Once Staal signs then we have Crosby/Malkin/Staal/Whitney/Orpik/Fleury signed for the next 5-6 years. Our team is a complete gift. Straight gift wrapped from a baby Jesus's diaper. Franchises would kill to have the team we have set up. Just enjoy it while we have it. Let's be realisitic, we aren't going to play in the Stanley Cup every year. It doesn't happen, it CAN'T happen in todays NHL. I'll be more then happy if we only win the Stanley Cup 1 time in the next 10 years. Thats how hard it is.

We will be okay. Don't think about "oh we can't win the cup now" or anything like that. ANYTHING is possible in hockey espically in the playoffs. Our Defensive depth is stacked. Just call up the Diesel Joey Mormina, or Paul Bissonnette if anymore injuries. We still got Sneep/Strait still in the NCAA and Bortuzzo coming up in a few years.

Our team is so set for the next 5 years, I'm not even worried. Penguins still going to win it all this year.

Totally agree. This is why you didn't see Shero dump off Sydor. Injuries happen everyday. That kid in st. louis was getting out of a golf cart and is done for the season. Sid and Fleury were out for extended periods and this team won the division and made it to the finals.

Golgoski gets his shot, let's see how he handles it. Alot of people seem to want to jump off the bridge anytime something negative happens. Why don't we atleast watch one regular season game and see how everyone steps up. He will be back for the playoffs, just in time to help the team. He will be fresh. It will be like trading for one of the best defensemen in the game without giving anything up.

Shero said he likes to have 10 nhl caliber d-men. Now we know why is a great GM.
lgpen30f987
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Why So Serious? on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:03 am

People need to seriously stop complaining and whining about this. Does anyone remember what happened last year? Arguably the best player in the world went down with a high ankle sprain. 80% of the people had given up. What happened? It ended up turning into a blessing in disguise with the way certain guys stepped up to the challenge. MAF goes down, Conks comes in and becomes a huge part of why we made it as far as we did last year. Now with Gonch and Whitney going down, this is a chance for younger and fresher players to come in and show what they got. And I'll tell you what, based on what I have seen from Letang from last year thru preseason, kid is so ready to step up to the plate and he deserves a fair opportunity. And Goligoski, as I said before, if he's not ready now, he will never be ready. This is his chance to show the organization what he's got. So, once again, people need to stop complaining and whining, it's hockey and things like this happen. Remember: Believe and Adversity -- 2 themes this year for the Pens, in my opinion. This team is terrific with and without 55 and 19 and we will challenge for the Eastern Conference Title this year as well.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:12 am

So was the shoulder still weak from the injury in the playoffs? Probably a decision that if he gets surgery now he will be 100% in March, otherwise he misses, say 8-10 weeks, comes back at 75% and could hurt it again and be gone until next October.

We have the talent to still make the playoffs and getting a 100% Gonchar who won;t have gorin issues in the spring will be a huge boost.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:17 am

Why So Serious? wrote:People need to seriously stop complaining and whining about this. Does anyone remember what happened last year? Arguably the best player in the world went down with a high ankle sprain. 80% of the people had given up. What happened? It ended up turning into a blessing in disguise with the way certain guys stepped up to the challenge. MAF goes down, Conks comes in and becomes a huge part of why we made it as far as we did last year. Now with Gonch and Whitney going down, this is a chance for younger and fresher players to come in and show what they got. And I'll tell you what, based on what I have seen from Letang from last year thru preseason, kid is so ready to step up to the plate and he deserves a fair opportunity. And Goligoski, as I said before, if he's not ready now, he will never be ready. This is his chance to show the organization what he's got. So, once again, people need to stop complaining and whining, it's hockey and things like this happen. Remember: Believe and Adversity -- 2 themes this year for the Pens, in my opinion. This team is terrific with and without 55 and 19 and we will challenge for the Eastern Conference Title this year as well.

Any time you lose your #1 defenseman for a majority of the year, the fans are allowed to "whine"...I don't think anyone thinks this team won't be fine without Gonchar. But it still sucks...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:32 am

As many of you know, up until late last year I was an inveterate Gonchar basher. But he won me over with his play last year, and especially in the playoffs. The guy was a stud. he played in all situations. he quarterbacked a top-ranked power play. He played top minutes against the other team's top line. He wasn't Nik Lidstrom, but he wasn't far from that level, either.

So anyone who tries to downplay this is either blindly loyal or has their head in the sand. Sorry, but this is indeed a huge blow. it is only compounded by Whitney's absence. It leaves them with Malkin, Sydor and two inexperienced guys to man the points on the power play. It leaves them with the same two inexperienced guys as the only offensive defensemen. Yeah, both Letang and Goligoski have the potential to be good. But expecting one or both of them to adequately fill Sarge's skates seems a bit on the optimistic side to me.

Make no mistake, this injury is going to hurt them in all situations. You just don't take a player of that caliber out of the lineup and not feel the pinch. Then you throw in Whitney's extended absence and it leaves me thinking that this team will likely be in that 5 through 10 group, fighting for playoff positioning and possibly even a playoff spot.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:47 am

Mad City Mike wrote:As many of you know, up until late last year I was an inveterate Gonchar basher. But he won me over with his play last year, and especially in the playoffs. The guy was a stud. he played in all situations. he quarterbacked a top-ranked power play. He played top minutes against the other team's top line. He wasn't Nik Lidstrom, but he wasn't far from that level, either.

So anyone who tries to downplay this is either blindly loyal or has their head in the sand. Sorry, but this is indeed a huge blow. it is only compounded by Whitney's absence. It leaves them with Malkin, Sydor and two inexperienced guys to man the points on the power play. It leaves them with the same two inexperienced guys as the only offensive defensemen. Yeah, both Letang and Goligoski have the potential to be good. But expecting one or both of them to adequately fill Sarge's skates seems a bit on the optimistic side to me.

Make no mistake, this injury is going to hurt them in all situations. You just don't take a player of that caliber out of the lineup and not feel the pinch. Then you throw in Whitney's extended absence and it leaves me thinking that this team will likely be in that 5 through 10 group, fighting for playoff positioning and possibly even a playoff spot.

QFT....They will survive. But it is a big loss...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:47 am

This makes me ill. Maybe it's the lack of sleep ( ;) ).

Like most of us, I am more concerned with his work in the Pens end, rather than the powerplay. There are plenty of weapons for that, not so many for defensive work and zone breakouts.

However, if there is a team that has the experience to play through multiple long term injuries, it is this Penguins team.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:54 am

Mad City Mike wrote:Make no mistake, this injury is going to hurt them in all situations. You just don't take a player of that caliber out of the lineup and not feel the pinch. Then you throw in Whitney's extended absence and it leaves me thinking that this team will likely be in that 5 through 10 group, fighting for playoff positioning and possibly even a playoff spot.

That's the MCM we all know and love!

This injury will hurt for sure, But I don't think it takes this team out of the playoffs. Crosby and Malkin are that good.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:03 am

worth noting:

our defense and goaltending is still light years ahead of the flyers
the devils' offense still ain't scaring anybody
the islanders still suck
the rangers are a little scary, but with all the turnover, who knows what kind of threat they'll be

...the point being: the division is still ours
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:03 am

Pitts wrote:That's the MCM we all know and love!

This injury will hurt for sure, But I don't think it takes this team out of the playoffs. Crosby and Malkin are that good.

I had them pegged somewhere in the 3-6 area before this injury, so I am downgrading that a couple notches. And once you get down into this area, yes, there is the possibility of them missing the playoffs. I'm not saying they will. In fact, I do think they will make it. But the margin for error just got a lot smaller. Fleury is going to have to be a stud. Sid and Malkin will have to be themselves. And they certainly cannot afford anymore long-term injuries.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:04 am

Drastically lesser defenses combined with lesser offenses and goaltending still made the playoffs in years past. I don't see any teams in the east who improved enough where they can knock us down 5-6 spots without Gonchar and Whitney.

Goal scoring will not be a problem and MT's system will make up for Gonchar's absence. I am satisfied with our defense right now and look forward to it being better. This is a good way to see what Goligoski is made of and if he will be worth keeping around for the future or trading him for help at the deadline.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:17 am

with the new people on the point, short handed chances will happen, they happened with Sergei. Fans and the players will just have to move beyond and keep trying.
I feel good with Eaton, Brooks, H Gill and Scuderi as the defensive - types. Plus, Brooks and D sydor are decent to good skaters/passers.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:24 am

Huge loss. So many minutes to make up now, and quality minutes also. The only silver lining is that if Gogo does well his stock will rise for trade bait at the deadline.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Coozman1 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:26 am

Flyers are looking for some bandwagon fans for all you tossing in the towel for the Pens this season.
Coozman1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:31 am

Coozman1 wrote:Flyers are looking for some bandwagon fans for all you tossing in the towel for the Pens this season.

How does people who state the fact that losing our #1 defenseman hurts the team means they are jumping off the bandwagon?

Why can't we all agree that losing Gonchar hurts. The team will survive. They will not be as good obviously. But they will be fine...

I don't see anyone who says that the pens aren't a legit playoff team anymore...

There have been 2 extremes in this thread so far:

1. Everything is fine. Goligoski can step right in...
2. We will have to make a move eventually...

I am in the 2nd category...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:44 am

The Pens are still the cream of the crop in the East. I see no reason to doubt that. Our only true competition at this time is Montreal and New York Rangers. The rest remain to be seen. I have total faith in this team even without Gonchar.

As far as GoGo, he hasn't seemed to have a problem stepping up to the next level and being productive yet. I see no reason he can't take the next step and do well. Some people just have it -- he seems to have it.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:51 am

Not advocating that we go and get him...But Aucoin is the odd man out in Calgary...

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/cgy080928.html
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:57 am

these injuries always start a little LGP.com civil war. 8-)

Looks like Alex/Kris & Gino on the powerplay point for a while? Hope everyone is ready for the rollercoaster ride, these guys are going to be brilliant at times - and the Pens are going to face plenty of shorthanded opportunities against.

This is a great opportunity for Letang, I'm looking forward to seeing him really take control this season...
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:03 am

I think that if they re-tool their power play to focus on the 2 man game with Sid and Geno with Staal in front of the net and either Sykora or Satan finding soft spots in coverage, this could still be a very very very dangerous power play. Like it's been said before, Gonchar's offensive output isn't what we're going to miss. He's our #1 guy in every situation, and you can never truly replace someone like that, especially with our #2 guy in every situation also out. HOWEVER....I think our offense is absolutly stacked this year and the defence is good enough to win some games. I think we'll see alot of 5-4 type scores this year, but i think we'll be the team scoring more most of the time.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:44 am

This sucks.

At least now we can see what this team will look like if LGP posters were the GM and traded Gonchar two years ago and Whitney last year.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins