Nice article in the PPG!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens fans

Postby newarenanow on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:29 am

The PG wrote a story today stating the Pens are catching up to the Steelers in popularity in Pgh.

Tim Benz went off this morning saying Pens fans have an inferiority complex because of the Steelers, and although it's probably the minority, they are very vocal in trying to put down the Steelers as much as possible in order to make the Pens support look better.

He also made a good point in that these same fans complain that hockey is like the #6 sport behind NFL, MLB, NBA, NASCAR and Golf, and ask why people don't like hockey, but are yet the first people to bash bandwagon fans for starting to get an interest in hockey.

He just doesn't understand why people can't be fans of all Pittsburgh teams, or if they aren't, why belittle another team.

The whole conversation reminded me of many posters here, and a lot of the conversations that go on here.

I'm a HUGE Steelers, Pens, Pitt FB, and Pitt BB fan. I love the Pirates, but am a Cubs fan first (but MLB is probably 5th on my list of favorite sports behind NFL, NHL, College FB, and College BB).

Just found it funny.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Pens fans

Postby sdm5055 on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:36 am

I am all over the place in my fandom.. I am not locked to a city or state..and this causes people to call me out regularly on "bandwagon" how can you like the Pens and not like the pirates type deal... or how can you live here and not be a fan etc etc..

I don't get upset at new fans coming on board or people just gaining interest in hockey and the pens now that they are good... yeah kinda sucks for poor people like me to try and get tickets now but whatev.... but it does piss me off when people call me out or any fan for being bandwagon and then when you ask them one historical trivia question about the pens they are clueless and iam talking a question from like 2002 and easy

/rant
sdm5055
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:40 am

I don't mind bandwagon people at all. That is how I became a fan back in 1988, and have been diehard since.

I just hate the people that made fun of me for liking the Pens back in 2002-2005, asked how I can watch a crappy team like that, and saying they don't deserve a new arena, and then they got good, and now they act like they are the biggest fan in the world and have been there since day one.

Plus, they will be the first people to jump and start ripping on the team again when things go south.

I also don't mind people that don't like the Steelers, but like the Pens, etc, etc. I just don't understand why you have to put down the Steelers just to make the Pens look good.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IrishEyes on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:43 am

I'm a Steelers/Buccos fan as well. My college team is ND, though. :D Most of the teams and/or sports I'm a fan of came from my dad. When I was younger I had to watch what he watched, and that was Steelers football and Penguins hockey and ND college football. The Buccos I found on my own. (But I'm a closet Red Sox fan)
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:09 am

newarenanow wrote:Tim Benz went off this morning saying Pens fans have an inferiority complex because of the Steelers, and although it's probably the minority, they are very vocal in trying to put down the Steelers as much as possible in order to make the Pens support look better.

He also made a good point in that these same fans complain that hockey is like the #6 sport behind NFL, MLB, NBA, NASCAR and Golf, and ask why people don't like hockey, but are yet the first people to bash bandwagon fans for starting to get an interest in hockey.

He just doesn't understand why people can't be fans of all Pittsburgh teams, or if they aren't, why belittle another team.

It's all very true in regards to the "hard-core" hockey fans.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:13 am

newarenanow wrote:I just hate the people that made fun of me for liking the Pens back in 2002-2005, asked how I can watch a crappy team like that, and saying they don't deserve a new arena, and then they got good, and now they act like they are the biggest fan in the world and have been there since day one.

This is what drives me nuts about "band wagon" or new fans - acting like they know it all. Sometimes when I overhear conversations and things are stated that just aren't correct (about past events, players), I just shake my head. I say "Where were you when the team was down? Me, I was sitting here in this arena every chance I got."
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:21 am

The article in the PG is not inflammatory at all, it is just saying how popular the Pens have become. Benz was just acting like a complete idiot on the radio for absolutely no reason.

I think alot of the Steeler hatred is not for the Steeler's, it is for the yinzers. I'm really just anti-yinzer. The entire reason Benz has a morning show job is *because* of the anti-yinzer bias. I *cannot* listen to DVE during Steeler season, it is yinzer HQ. Therefore it is 105.9 by default in the morning.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:33 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:The article in the PG is not inflammatory at all, it is just saying how popular the Pens have become. Benz was just acting like a complete idiot on the radio for absolutely no reason.

I think alot of the Steeler hatred is not for the Steeler's, it is for the yinzers. I'm really just anti-yinzer. The entire reason Benz has a morning show job is *because* of the anti-yinzer bias. I *cannot* listen to DVE during Steeler season, it is yinzer HQ. Therefore it is 105.9 by default in the morning.

He never said it was inflammatory, he was just stating that this will add full to those few fans fire that the Pens are better than the Steelers.

I pretty much agreed with Benz this morning.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:41 am

I like to see the steelers do well~ the mood in the city is better when they win. I'd like to see the pitt panthers do well too. I could do without all the pre/post game devotion to the weekly game.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:45 am

Huge Pens fan, Big Steelers fan, Ok Pirates fan, Dont care Pitt Football, Enjoy Pitt Basksetball.

If steelers lose in playoffs it sucks but if pens get knocked out im just crushed. Ever since the 90's. I watch 4-7 game series until we get knocked out and its just hurts. maybe because i watched so many games and followed them through the playoffs and its 4-7 game series then its over. its like my hamster died or something lol. Steelers have 1-2 games and then its over so it dosnt hurt as much.
Last edited by PenguinSteve-o on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wallflower on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:46 am

Meh, I'm split on this.

I don't think most of the Penguins fans in question actually hate the Steelers, like someone else said, I think they hate the Yinzers and their attitude toward the Pens. Also, there ARE some people who just don't like football and get sick of hearing about it all the time. (Heck, I'm a huge Steelers fan but by mid-November I've had enough of the coverage. And FWIW, I would feel the same way if the local media started covering the Penguins the same way. It's gross.)

I don't doubt that there are some Pens fans who legitimately have an inferiority complex with the Steelers, but there is also definitely a large group of yinzer Steeler fans that will attack the Pens for no reason other than that they're deflecting attention away from the Steelers. It goes both ways.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:50 am

Tim Benz sucks. He blows.

Metzer > Benz. Mark it down.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Nice article on Pens fans in the PPG!

Postby Judy on Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:07 pm

:)

The team dresses in black and gold, has a long waiting list for season tickets and has the highest television ratings of any team in the league. It also is No. 1 league-wide in merchandise sales and has a rabid fan base that lives and dies with the team's every move.

It's not the Steelers we're talking about. It's the Penguins, the other Pittsburgh franchise that has a Steelers-like following.

The Penguins have never been more popular, and it is being reflected in the club's climbing ticket sales. The Penguins have sold out a club-record 67 consecutive games, including regular season and playoffs, dating to the 2006-07 season. Last season, the Penguins sold out all 41 regular-season home games for the first time in franchise history, and they are well on their way to duplicating that feat.

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg ... 425-61.stm
Judy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Nice article in the PPG!

Postby newarenanow on Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:22 pm

Great article. This is the one i referenced that Tim Benz went off on.

The fanbase is definitely growing. There was a very small one prior to the Lemieux days. Then Lemieux came, and they won a couple cups, and captured the hearts of my generation ( I was 12 and 13 during the two cups). And now Sidney Crosby and Co. are building that with a newer generation.

I wouldn't put it up there with the Steelers yet. They have been doing this for 35 years. But this is how they started. They sucked prior to the 70s, and then when they won those Super Bowls, it caputred a whole generation, which was passed on, and passed on, and continued success of the Steelers only kept that going.

The Pens need to remain competitive for a long period of time, just like for the 13 years beginning in 1988 until 2001. That is how you lock people in. Yes, there will be some down years, but keep competitive year in and year out, it will only continue to grow.

It sucks with the Pirates, because this was a pretty good baseball town (and probably would be again), but 16 straight years of losing will start to kill off a fan base. The oldtimers will still follow them, as that is what they grew up on, but the new generation could probably care less. They were infants or little kids the last time the Pirates won. Heck, I'm 30, and the last time I saw a winning baseball team, I was 14.

Good stuff though.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:24 pm

newarenanow wrote:The PG wrote a story today stating the Pens are catching up to the Steelers in popularity in Pgh.

Tim Benz went off this morning saying Pens fans have an inferiority complex because of the Steelers, and although it's probably the minority, they are very vocal in trying to put down the Steelers as much as possible in order to make the Pens support look better.

The whole conversation reminded me of many posters here, and a lot of the conversations that go on here.

I'm a HUGE Steelers, Pens, Pitt FB, and Pitt BB fan. I love the Pirates, but am a Cubs fan first (but MLB is probably 5th on my list of favorite sports behind NFL, NHL, College FB, and College BB).

Just found it funny.

His thoughts mirror mine exactly. Given neither the Steelers nor the Pirates are my favorite teams in their respective sports, but I still can't wrap my head around the bashing of them.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:39 pm

I can see Bucco bashing, but I'm still a fan and root for them.

16 years of losing baseball deserves some bashing.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jesse on Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:46 pm

Pitts wrote:
newarenanow wrote:I just hate the people that made fun of me for liking the Pens back in 2002-2005, asked how I can watch a crappy team like that, and saying they don't deserve a new arena, and then they got good, and now they act like they are the biggest fan in the world and have been there since day one.

This is what drives me nuts about "band wagon" or new fans - acting like they know it all. Sometimes when I overhear conversations and things are stated that just aren't correct (about past events, players), I just shake my head. I say "Where were you when the team was down? Me, I was sitting here in this arena every chance I got."

This.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:13 pm

I remember when there were people here whining because they moved a Pens/Panthers regular season game up a few hours to accommodate the Steelers/Jags playoff game. There are definitely Pens fans with an inferiority complex with the Steelers. It may be a vocal minority, but it's out there, and it's annoying. Although that really has nothing to do with the article in question. It's very true that the Pens probably have never been this popular in the city and they're likely to add more fans once they start winning championships.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:20 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I remember when there were people here whining because they moved a Pens/Panthers regular season game up a few hours to accommodate the Steelers/Jags playoff game. There are definitely Pens fans with an inferiority complex with the Steelers. It may be a vocal minority, but it's out there, and it's annoying. Although that really has nothing to do with the article in question. It's very true that the Pens probably have never been this popular in the city and they're likely to add more fans once they start winning championships.

I remember that too, I couldn't figure out how a sports fan in the city of pittsburgh would be angered by this.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kicksave on Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:38 pm

Tim Benz is a whiney little *****. How he has a job in radio is beyond me.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby owtahear on Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:39 pm

I agree about those fans who feel compelled to play up their favorite at the expense of the other local teams. I am definitively a Pittsburgh sports fan.

I root for all the franchises/colleges above any in their sports. My order of preference sort of goes as follows:

1) Pens are my 1st love. Like the first born. Push comes to shove, they win all ties.

2) Pitt sports. I like college football and basketball more than the NFL (I am a Stiller season ticket holder) and Pitt sports (well especially football) need all the love they can get. (I am also a Pitt FB season ticket holder).

3) Stillers. Why so low? They really don't need me do they? My god, they get enough attention. That being said, I know what they mean to the region. Being 3rd on this list doesn't mean I don't care about them.

4) Pirates (and dropping like a rock). It is not like I am rooting for another team (though I will root for the Brewers for the playoffs) but my fandom has gone dormant. I just don't care anymore. I am tired of this franchise and their ineptness and unwillingness to try and win. I don't want to hear anymore excuses, they aren't going to get lucky unless they put forth some effort. The return for Nady and Bay was just horrible.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:45 pm

Pens Nation has definitely closed the gap, but they haven't caught the Stillers yet. Maybe when all of their preseason games are on TV... :P
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Judy on Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:16 pm

netwolf wrote:Pens Nation has definitely closed the gap, but they haven't caught the Stillers yet. Maybe when all of their preseason games are on TV... :P

Which, in my opinion is great IDEA!!!! :D
Judy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:00 pm

I have no problem with certain bandwagon hockey fans. The ones that become fans and truly want to learn more about the game are fine.

As for me, the Pens are my favorite sports team. I hate the Steelers, but that has nothing to do with wanting them to do bad so the Pens get more popular. And I just plain hate baseball so I could care less about the Pirates.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Samsdog on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:53 pm

The bashing doesn't occur as much as Benz made it sound like it does. Yeah, it happens, but to me its the minority. I'm a Steelers fan, and I hate baseball, but just like I wouldn't want Steelers-first fans to begrudge me my Penguins-first status I don't begrudge them theirs. The Steelers are a highly successful franchise and a model for the rest of the NFL so I have no objections to them having a large fan base. It's the way it is and I'm ok with that since it really doesn't affect my affection for hockey either way.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins