Nice article in the PPG!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Nice article in the PPG!

Postby mjg on Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:09 pm

I'm a hockey fan first. I've followed the Penguins since the early '70s so I can't be a bandwagon fan. My second favorite team of those I follow is Penn State Men's Basketball. Guess I just love an underdog. Third is PSU football. Fourth is probably the Steelers. I'm not an anti-Pitt PSU fan, so I do follow their football and basketball teams when they are on the tube. I also like the Sixers. I guess since all the teams I route for are in PA, I'm sort of a homer. As for bandwagon Pens fans...I'm all for them as long as they stay around when we hit the lower end of the cycle again (hopefully not for another 20 years or more). Heck, I even try to recruit Rags and Cryer fans to join our bandwagon -- though without any success as of yet.
mjg
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:13 pm

Wow teams overall. I can't believe people are making me choose between the Braves and Penguins. I can't really. After those two it'd go

Cowboys
Lightning
Pirates
Pitt Basketball
Steelers

If we are counting Tennis, then Lleyton Hewitt would fall between Pirates and Pitt. I don't really like soccer teams, I just watch matches if its gonna be a good/competitive game.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby beerman on Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:36 pm

my favorite teams are the Pens, Steelers, Red Sox and Duke, I cant rank any of them ahead of one another. If two play on one night I switch back and forth as much as possible paying the most attention to the team playing the more important game
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby doublewinder on Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:25 am

What do you guys mean when you say Yinzers?

Also...how does PIT compare to DC as a hockeytown?
doublewinder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby farnham16 on Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:01 am

doublewinder wrote:What do you guys mean when you say Yinzers?

Also...how does PIT compare to DC as a hockeytown?

It doesn't really. Pittsburgh has a much much more loyal fanbase than DC.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:31 am

I just hate the people that made fun of me for liking the Pens back in 2002-2005, asked how I can watch a crappy team like that, and saying they don't deserve a new arena, and then they got good, and now they act like they are the biggest fan in the world and have been there since day one.

This. When I went to RMU, I got made fun of for being a Season Ticket Holder of "The worst sports team ever assembled." Two years later, the same kids that put together that illustrious title were begging for me to either take them to a game, or sell them tickets. This is where my problem is, and I'm sure it's like this in every town (except Toronto). Last season during the bandwagon rush I met some people who had actually taken an interest in hockey, and were asking me questions about it, and trying to learn. This is fine, and it's great to see people becoming interested. However, I know a person who moved here from Texas in 2005. She had never lived in Pittsburgh before, die hard Cowboys fan. Then in 2007, her family gets season tickets? Why? To make profit of course, as if they weren't already rich enough living in some mansion in Wexford. Regardless, it's ridiculous the ushers don't turn some of these people back at the gates. I think that the actual Pens fans deserve to go first, but that's not the way the system works. Even a goalie who played on my Inline Hockey team got season tickets. He sold most of them, and gave the rest to friends. It just pisses me off to see this.

Being born in Canada, naturally, I don't like Football. I don't see what's so appealing about a lot of overweight, overpaid men rolling around in the mud, tackling each other. But I like when the Steelers do good, and I like to see them win. Do I get upset if they lose, or have heart attacks when a player fumbles near the end zone? No, but if I wouldn't have been in such great shape during Game 6 in the last few seconds of that game, I'm sure I would have had some form of heart palpitations. In any case, I still bash Steeler fans. Hell, one football player at RMU used to make fun of me for liking hockey and told me to go Figure Skating once. I prompted him to spell Figure Skating. Kid failed miserably, spelling it something like F-I-G-O-R, etc.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Why So Serious? on Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:04 am

I agree with a lot of the statements made in this thread. I know a bunch of kids who made fun of me for loving the Pens during their rough years, and now they all watch hockey (started last year). The way I look at it, the more the fans, the better it is. However, sometimes these bandwagoners really start to piss me off. It's the worst when they have a hockey conversation with you but they are wrong about every point they make in the conversation.

Me personally, I'm in my 2nd year in college. So I missed a lot of the glory early 90's days. But I got glued to the Pens when I was in first grade, in '96. And I attended my first Pens game in '97 against the Wings (we won 4-2).
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:18 am

My order of priority:

1. Pens
2. Video Games
3. Pitt and PSU football
4. Stillers
901098123098124. Suckos
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:26 am

doublewinder wrote:What do you guys mean when you say Yinzers?

A strict definition of a yinzer is someone who, despite watching thousands of games of football, knows absolutely nothing about the sport.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:58 am

Why So Serious? wrote:Me personally, I'm in my 2nd year in college. So I missed a lot of the glory early 90's days. But I got glued to the Pens when I was in first grade, in '96. And I attended my first Pens game in '97 against the Wings (we won 4-2).

Wow, that makes me feel really old. I was a senior in high school in 96. :(
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Pens fans

Postby matto514 on Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:33 am

newarenanow wrote:I don't mind bandwagon people at all. That is how I became a fan back in 1988, and have been diehard since.

I just hate the people that made fun of me for liking the Pens back in 2002-2005, asked how I can watch a crappy team like that, and saying they don't deserve a new arena, and then they got good, and now they act like they are the biggest fan in the world and have been there since day one.

Plus, they will be the first people to jump and start ripping on the team again when things go south.

I also don't mind people that don't like the Steelers, but like the Pens, etc, etc. I just don't understand why you have to put down the Steelers just to make the Pens look good.

Agree completely. I got interested in the Pens during the early 90s, which caused me to quit baseball and take up hockey. Now I'm a diehard as well. I think it would be pretty shortsighted for me to call anyone a bandwagon fan at this point. All that I hope happens with the "bandwagon" fans is that they stay on the wagon as I, and so many others, did.

More and continued support for the Pens can only serve us well. Popularity just means more TV time, more attention, and better coverage in general. Why anyone would not want that is beyond me.
matto514
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins