My new thread awesome observations

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: My new thread awesome observations

Postby bhaw on Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:23 am

Milbury is an idiot, and the more I hear him, the harder it is to believe he was a head coach.

The PP will come around. Gonchar was at that point position until a couple weeks ago. They didn't have a whole summer. The ice is also smaller at the rink they are playing on, which helps Ottawa's aggressive PK. Regardless of who they put back there, we don't have a single player who can make up for Gonchar's 13 years of experience... maybe Sydor, but I would rather have Malkin.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kicksave on Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:57 am

LOL

Yeo being fired after ONE game.

LGP never fails to surprise me.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby André on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:23 am

Malkin and Staal looked very promising together. Can't wait for Sykora to join them.

First line wasn't exactly clicking yet but I think it'll come.

Third line looks great.

PP stunk. How about not stacking it and have two units?

Thank Gerber for the two points.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby matto514 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:58 am

While I don't know that I agree with firing Mike Yeo just yet, i is obvious that something needs to be tweaked on the PP. When playing and aggressive PK like Ottawa's, sending guys through their box, or setting someone up in the high slot (Sykora when he's ready), would collapse that box a little and provide Malkin and Letang more room.

Like bhaw said, they've only had a week or so, and it's rather tough to get a real read on yourself until you play real competition. Practice and scrimmage can only do so much. I'm sure they'll watch some film, make some changes, and more importantly they'll get comfortable not having Gonch out there.
matto514
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Easton on Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:14 am

Saying that Milbury agrees with you is not helping your argument. At all.

And Yeo being fired after one game? Really? I mean c'mon...even the biggest yinzers give a coach two games before wanting him gone.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby booboo on Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:54 am

bhaw wrote:Milbury is an idiot, and the more I hear him, the harder it is to believe he was a head coach.

The PP will come around. Gonchar was at that point position until a couple weeks ago. They didn't have a whole summer. The ice is also smaller at the rink they are playing on, which helps Ottawa's aggressive PK. Regardless of who they put back there, we don't have a single player who can make up for Gonchar's 13 years of experience... maybe Sydor, but I would rather have Malkin.

I do not get the point about the size of the rink. Are you saying that the rink in Globen was smaller
or bigger than NHL regulation? It was definitely made smaller than IIHF regulation - the boards were moved
in for these two games, but I think I've heard that the corners had different curvatures than NHL rinks.
Is that difference in curvature to help Ottawa's PK in some way?
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Easton on Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:23 am

booboo wrote:
bhaw wrote:Milbury is an idiot, and the more I hear him, the harder it is to believe he was a head coach.

I do not get the point about the size of the rink. Are you saying that the rink in Globen was smaller
or bigger than NHL regulation? It was definitely made smaller than IIHF regulation - the boards were moved
in for these two games, but I think I've heard that the corners had different curvatures than NHL rinks.

I think what he is saying is that the rink is smaller, which means Ottawa's players can get to the man and puck quicker on the PK than they would be able to back here in the States. It's not exclusive to Ottawa, but it helps them moreso because of their aggressive style.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby booboo on Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:30 am

Easton wrote:
booboo wrote:

I think what he is saying is that the rink is smaller, which means Ottawa's players can get to the man and puck quicker on the PK than they would be able to back here in the States. It's not exclusive to Ottawa, but it helps them moreso because of their aggressive style.

OK, but the rinks in Europe are larger than in NHL, and they've shrunk that one in Stockholm for our two
games to match the size of NHL haven't they.
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Easton on Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:34 am

booboo wrote:

OK, but the rinks in Europe are larger than in NHL, and they've shrunk that one in Stockholm for our two

I thought the rink was smaller and they brought the boards out - I have no idea - but either way, the boards are 4 feet smaller than an NHL rink. So if they brought the boards in, the brought them in too far :lol:
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:38 am

ZenPenguin wrote:- Even if Kennedy didn't score, he looked awesome.
- Letang looked calm and confident
- The Ice seemed "sticky"
- Staal looks a ton better
- The PP was a joke. Yao needs to be canned. I think this is my 3rd post this year, and my 1st or 2nd said that having Malkin on the point on the PP unit was stupid and would lead to a ton of shorthanded chances. It's so obvious... omg, even Milbury was ripping him. The PP was complete chaos, even after having a whole summer to prepare. Malkin on the point is stupid.

I wasn't too impressed with Jordan. Possibly because I noticed everytime he had the chance to make body contact and avoided it. I though Fedotenko was doing everything Malone used to which was good to see. As for the PP. Yeo's PP has always been an issue, now he has an excuse for it to go 0 for 7. I don't have an issue with Malkin on the PP if Malkin's okay with it, but I do have an issue with Malkin playing the full 2 minutes on the point. You don't want tired skates on the point.

It's only one game. 2 points are what we wanted and 2 points are what we got. If there were any changes, I'd like to see Kennedy with Cooke and Dupuis on the third, bumping Talbot down in between Godard and Biz. I like to see Thomas in place of Taffe (should Sykora sit) and I'd like to see Gogo in place of Sydor, who was unimpressive yesterday. Just my opinion.

I'd also like to see some hitting, but I'm fearful MT's "system" does not permit it.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JeanPronovost on Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:55 am

booboo wrote:OK, but the rinks in Europe are larger than in NHL, and they've shrunk that one in Stockholm for our two

The rink in Stockholm is 4 feet shorter than an NHL rink. I think the difference is in the neutral zone, though, so it wouldn't affect the PK.
JeanPronovost
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby iseeguins on Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:56 am

- The PP was a joke. Yao needs to be canned. I think this is my 3rd post this year, and my 1st or 2nd said that having Malkin on the point on the PP unit was stupid and would lead to a ton of shorthanded chances. It's so obvious... omg, even Milbury was ripping him. The PP was complete chaos, even after having a whole summer to prepare. Malkin on the point is stupid.

I agree totally regarding the powerplay. Goligoski was desperately needed to help the PP, yet he was scratched. That was an idiotic move in itself. Malkin on the point is a bad idea. The PK keys on him because it is too predictable that everything is 'flowing through Malkin' at the point. So he gets pressured into coughing-up the puck for shorthanded breakaways. Plus .. it confines Malkin to a relatively restricted area of the ice, it means that his shots are going to come from relatively far away, and his shots are going to be telegraphed. Like I said .. too predictable and limited. No element of surprise .. no creativity .. no real spontaneity. He is at his best when he can roam freely down-low and be creative .. and the same goes for Crosby. And they should each be running their own PP units .. they should not be on the same unit. The "stacked" powerplay was a disaster in the Playoffs just a few months ago, and yet here we are with Yeo and Therrien already using it again??!! Malkin on the point was also a disaster in the Playoffs just a few months ago, as well .. and yet here we go again (already) with this stupid nonsense. With the talent the Penguins have, they should be at 30% or greater on the powerplay .. (I'm talking last season, here .. and this season if Gonchar and Whitney weren't out). Yeo and Therrien are morons. People saying that Yeo was "doing a good job" on the PP with the Penguins at 18 or 20 percent (or whatever it was) last season .. are not aware of reality. {I could not believe that Mike Lange actually was praising Yeo's powerplay coaching last season on the air!! I found that to be extremely bizarre and very disappointing. I wonder how much Lange was being bribed or extorted to say that? Or, was it merely alcohol talking?}

Another factor is the absence of Pesonen .. who would surely be productive on the powerplay. To send Pesonen to the AHL but keep garbage like Bissonette and Bill Thomas here .. ??!! .. terrible move. Pesonen could have at least currently filled-in for Sykora. {I'm not using hindsight here, so the Kennedy goals are not relevant to the point I'm making here. I'm talking a-priori.} In fact, Pesonen would be good to have on the powerplay as a rule .. which would by itself be reason enough to keep him on the team. But, again .. this team is handicapped and held-back by the incompetence and egotism of Therrien and Yeo.

I'm sorry to have to keep posting about the idiotic coaching of this team .. but I see it as THE problem which will sabotage this team. This team has the makings of real greatness, but the current coaches are sabotaging it. And I think this is the main factor that prevented this team from winning the Cup in June, and I think this is the reason Hossa didn't sign with us but went with Detroit and coach Babcock instead.
iseeguins

Postby Why So Serious? on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:08 am

iseeguins wrote:

I agree totally regarding the powerplay. Goligoski was desperately needed to help the PP, yet he was scratched. That was an idiotic move in itself. Malkin on the point is a bad idea. The PK keys on him because it is too predictable that everything is 'flowing through Malkin' at the point. So he gets pressured into coughing-up the puck for shorthanded breakaways. Plus .. it confines Malkin to a relatively restricted area of the ice, it means that his shots are going to come from relatively far away, and his shots are going to be telegraphed. Like I said .. too predictable and limited. No element of surprise .. no creativity .. no real spontaneity. He is at his best when he can roam freely down-low and be creative .. and the same goes for Crosby. And they should each be running their own PP units .. they should not be on the same unit. The "stacked" powerplay was a disaster in the Playoffs just a few months ago, and yet here we are with Yeo and Therrien already using it again??!! Malkin on the point was also a disaster in the Playoffs just a few months ago, as well .. and yet here we go again (already) with this stupid nonsense. With the talent the Penguins have, they should be at 30% or greater on the powerplay .. (I'm talking last season, here .. and this season if Gonchar and Whitney weren't out). Yeo and Therrien are morons. People saying that Yeo was "doing a good job" on the PP with the Penguins at 18 or 20 percent (or whatever it was) last season .. are not aware of reality. {I could not believe that Mike Lange actually was praising Yeo's powerplay coaching last season on the air!! I found that to be extremely bizarre and very disappointing. I wonder how much Lange was being bribed or extorted to say that? Or, was it merely alcohol talking?}

Another factor is the absence of Pesonen .. who would surely be productive on the powerplay. To send Pesonen to the AHL but keep garbage like Bissonette and Bill Thomas here .. ??!! .. terrible move. Pesonen could have at least currently filled-in for Sykora. {I'm not using hindsight here, so the Kennedy goals are not relevant to the point I'm making here. I'm talking a-priori.} In fact, Pesonen would be good to have on the powerplay as a rule .. which would by itself be reason enough to keep him on the team. But, again .. this team is handicapped and held-back by the incompetence and egotism of Therrien and Yeo.

I'm sorry to have to keep posting about the idiotic coaching of this team .. but I see it as THE problem which will sabotage this team. This team has the makings of real greatness, but the current coaches are sabotaging it. And I think this is the main factor that prevented this team from winning the Cup in June, and I think this is the reason Hossa didn't sign with us but went with Detroit and coach Babcock instead.

And this same coaching staff is responsible for the 47 point turnaround 2 years ago and helping us reach the Cup Finals last year. Winning the Cup is a process. It takes time and Therrien has been terrific. I'm sick of everyone continually calling him out. Everything he has done has worked out thus far and I am not one to challenge his views on the team. And please, give Mike Yeo more than one game to get the PP on track. I realize we have two of the three best players in the world. However, Yeo lost the best PP QB in the NHL as well as a great passer with Whitney. And there are also two newcomers playing on the PP, who still need to learn the scheme of how things are run here. Cut the guy some slack. We've been in the top 10 every year since he has been here.

As for Janne Pesonen, sending him down is the absolute correct move. It's not going to do Pesonen any good here on a fourth line, as opposed to playing on the first or 2nd line line in WB/S. And Bill Thomas can play the game. He won't impact the game much, but he's got a good shot and great speed. He's a great bottom six player.

I do agree however that Goligoski should be playing right now. But, again, I can't fault Therrien. He is doing what he felt best for the team, which in this case was putting a seasoned veteran in the game instead of a young rookie. I do believe Gogo will play today to give the PP a boost. But, for crying out loud, stop with the whining about Therrien, it's getting so old.

Also, I highly doubt, COACHING was the reason Hossa left PIT to go to DET. That reasoning is absolutely nonsensical. You basically lose all credibility when you say that.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:45 am

Kicksave wrote:LOL

Yeo being fired after ONE game.

LGP never fails to surprise me.

Why not? He's sucked since he came up, one more game is just another chance to show that.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:52 am

Time to change the thread title to Fire MT.

The mods just need to create a Fire MT thread and sticky it.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:53 am

JeanPronovost wrote:
booboo wrote:OK, but the rinks in Europe are larger than in NHL, and they've shrunk that one in Stockholm for our two

The rink in Stockholm is 4 feet shorter than an NHL rink. I think the difference is in the neutral zone, though, so it wouldn't affect the PK.

It was a little shorter in all zones from what I understand. It's definitely not a HUGE difference, but every little advantage helps. I'm not saying the PP was bad due to a couple feet here or there. Just saying it helped Ottawa a little. Hope that clears it up booboo! :)
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:58 am

bhaw wrote:Time to change the thread title to Fire MT.

The mods just need to create a Fire MT thread and sticky it.

Well then I say the mods need to create a "Do not fire MT" thread and sticky it :wink:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:59 am

No matter who Yeo or MT or the Wicked Witch of the West puts on the point, there is NO ONE on this team that can make up for Gonchar's absence. Goligoski sure as hell didn't just get handed 13 years of NHL experience.

These games count now. Goligoski was shaky vs Jokerit, so MT put in the line up that gives him the best shot at winning. Now is not the time for a guy to work on his play... that's what the preseason was for. I'd actually say it was pretty smart of MT to put out the line up he did and recognize that 4 points this weekend may pay off big at the end of the season.

For sake of argument, Ottawa did the same thing. Winchester has been playing with the top line all preseason, moving Alfredson to the 2nd line. When the games counted, the top line of Spezza/Heatly/Alfredson was back on the ice. Whoa! Maybe MT isn't the worst coach in the league!
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:06 am

And for the record, I have also said that the PP left a lot to be desired yesterday. What they accomplished was not acceptable, but I am not going to flip out over ONE GAME that they ended up winning. Every year it's the same thing... the PP goes through a bad stretch, yet it ends up in the top 5. Yeo needs to be fired when it's not doing well, but when it is clicking, it's because any idiot can get a top 5 PP with the players we have. So really, why would it matter if we fired him? The Pens, by default, have a top 5 PP. No coaching is necessary. We don't even need a PP coach. They should go out there and ad-lib... we'd still be in the top 5.

I still can't believe the "Hossa left b/c of MT" line is thrown out there. I can't believe there is any ax left to grind with some people. Eventually you grind it so far there is just a nub.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:31 pm

i don't know...something about having letang and gogo on the point makes me more nervous. not that malkin is the gold standard of defensive responsibility, but at least he won't get the yips when a puck comes to him (something letang is still guilty of and gogo would definitely be guilty of).

the setup is fine. the execution is not. plus, ottawa has some good pk'ers and employed a good strategy yesterday. give them at least a little credit
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:44 pm

Pens have had 6th, 5th, and 4th best PPs last three years... fire Yeo! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:50 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Pens have had 6th, 5th, and 4th best PPs last three years... fire Yeo! :lol: :lol: :lol:

With the talent they have, they should be clicking at 70% At least. Get a clue. If Pesonen was there they'd obviously score every time. Management sent him down to make it fair for the other teams.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kicksave on Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:51 pm

Fire YEO!

They haven't scored on the PP yet today.

Slackass.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:53 pm

I vote iseeguins for Pens' head coach.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins