I just LOVE hockey...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

I just LOVE hockey...

Postby heshootsandscores on Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:29 pm

After the game yesterday, i had this great feeling that follows the season opening. Hockey is the most fast moving, exciting and interesting sport around. Football is okay, but to me, nothing compares to hockey.

I just had to say it! Anyone know what i mean?
heshootsandscores
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: I just LOVE hockey...

Postby PensBeerGeek on Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:07 pm

Can't agree more.

It's a great day for hockey. A Pens game at 2:30 and then I get to skate tonight at 10:15 (though hopefully not too much....had 6 skaters last week, which is never pleasant! :shock: )

Don't get me wrong, I love football (especially college.....I'm a Steelers fan, but I hate the boring style in the NFL), but hockey is still my favorite sport.
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JS© on Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:57 pm

football season was invented to kill time between hockey seasons
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby profpolisci on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:28 pm

Well put. I won't miss anything more than hockey when they tell me I'm gonna croak.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Why Not Us on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:06 pm

JS© wrote:football season was invented to kill time between hockey seasons

I think about roughly 98% of sports writers in this country would beg to differ, but I agree.

Maybe it was the lack of hanging Army's Pit from my seat or not being able to attend these two games this weekend but once the game got started yesterday, the feeling that it was time to get to business with the Pens and the excitement overtook me.

It'll be a long 5 days til I head to the Igloo but it feels good to be able to discuss what the team needs to do better and what they've done right and just have a next game to look forward to in order to correct it.
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby blackjack68 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:36 pm

Considering most of the NFL season overlaps with NHL, I'm not sure I can agree.

Now baseball, which is truly boring, fills in the gaps.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JS© on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:32 am

Why Not Us wrote:

I think about roughly 98% of sports writers in this country would beg to differ, but I agree.

I'm sure they would, but I'm saying this is the case for me. The Steelers are becoming increasingly hard to watch with Ben running the offense for the next how many years. The Pirates? LOL

Looking at my original quote though, I probably meant that football is a good way to pass time until hockey comes back on....or something. You know what I mean.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:09 am

Hockey gives you a Tyler Kennedy to steal headlines from his teammates. :P Also shows you how the players have to change loyalties quickly ~ Jarkko.

I loved watching the penguins (sat/sun) and knowing that a loss is not the end of of a series, or a season. :)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:58 pm

I dunno. I mean, yeah, hockey's alright, but it interferes with my TV schedule. Right when all the good shows come back, so does hockey, forcing me to record everything, then spend way too much time in front of TV catching up with everything. I really dislike the hockey season. Only 2 weeks ago I finally watched the final 5 episodes of Ugly Betty from last season, since the new season was starting. I'd rather do something else. If there was no other TV, then yeah, hockey would be great, but there are other things to watch and hockey just gets in the way sometimes.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:03 pm

After this past weekend, I have come to the conclusion that the pens season doesn't start until this Saturday...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:22 pm

NPR
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Why So Serious? on Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:23 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I dunno. I mean, yeah, hockey's alright, but it interferes with my TV schedule. Right when all the good shows come back, so does hockey, forcing me to record everything, then spend way too much time in front of TV catching up with everything. I really dislike the hockey season. Only 2 weeks ago I finally watched the final 5 episodes of Ugly Betty from last season, since the new season was starting. I'd rather do something else. If there was no other TV, then yeah, hockey would be great, but there are other things to watch and hockey just gets in the way sometimes.

Or do TV shows get in the way of hockey? 8-)
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:47 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:I dunno. I mean, yeah, hockey's alright, but it interferes with my TV schedule. Right when all the good shows come back, so does hockey, forcing me to record everything, then spend way too much time in front of TV catching up with everything. I really dislike the hockey season. Only 2 weeks ago I finally watched the final 5 episodes of Ugly Betty from last season, since the new season was starting. I'd rather do something else. If there was no other TV, then yeah, hockey would be great, but there are other things to watch and hockey just gets in the way sometimes.

Or do TV shows get in the way of hockey? 8-)

Well, depends on the show.

Chuck, Pushing Daisies, Ugly Betty, Eli Stone, Dirty Sexy Money, Stargate, Eureka >>>>> Hockey

I have never, ever, found so many brilliant shows on at one time as I did since about 2-3 years ago. They all just snowballed on me.

Boston Legal, too, is absolutely brilliant.

Unless it's the playoffs... then it's Hockey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else.

But, honestly, sometimes hockey is just a pain in the ass.

I'm also sure most of you at times find some games extremely boring and come away with the feeling that it was a waste of 2.5 hours. Especially if we don't show any effort or lose by 3 goals and a fight.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kicksave on Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:49 pm

Nope. The only thing better than hockey is playoff hockey.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:59 pm

Well, I'm not even sure if I am serious here or not. Kind of half joking. But you get the point. It most definitely is a pain in the ass when there are 2 or 3 shows on that I absolutely must watch AND a hockey game. At one point last year, I was backed up with 16 hours of shows to watch recorded on DVDs. Took me a couple months to get out of that once, since new shows kept coming on and on and on...
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ginger on Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:09 pm

Kicksave wrote:Nope. The only thing better than hockey is playoff hockey.

^^See above. Genius at work. ^^

I never watch TV tho' so what do I know?
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wallflower on Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:10 pm

This.

As much as I love some of my tv shows, I'd rather watch hockey. Tv shows can be recorded and watched later.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Why So Serious? on Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:12 pm

++++++++1....so true.

A) Nothing beats hockey.
B) No sport's playoffs are better than the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:16 pm

wallflower wrote:

This.

As much as I love some of my tv shows, I'd rather watch hockey. Tv shows can be recorded and watched later.

Yeah I miss tons of shows for hockey. Well I DVR them and watch them later. I even miss shows for football actually. And I miss Football for Hockey. Hockey trumps all.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:32 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
wallflower wrote:

This.

Yeah I miss tons of shows for hockey. Well I DVR them and watch them later. I even miss shows for football actually. And I miss Football for Hockey. Hockey trumps all.

That's what I always end up doing nowadays... record everything and watch hockey. That's if I'm home. Often I'm out, so I either get help from others or I hunt for what I missed online. Anyway, I watch 99% of games each season. But like tonight... if there was a hockey game on, I'd have 4 hours of recorded stuff to watch tomorrow: big bang/how i met your mother, chuck, heroes (i don't really like this show anymore and hope it gets cancelled) and boston legal. I'm often very busy, so it gets piled up and I end up backed up for weeks at a time. Seriously, I don't like it. As I said, it wasn't like this until a couple of years ago when all these shows came on. Yet they're so great that I just can't miss them. I'm not joking now... this is a real problem. Thank God I don't have any kids yet.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:41 pm

I need to catch up on Chuck, I stopped watching around half way through last season and never caught up. I have this season dvr'd so far.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins