Official 10/5/08 GDT Ottawa Senators @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 10/5/08 GDT Ottawa Senators @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby shmenguin on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:20 pm

jmh470 wrote:In this world nothing is certain but death, taxes, and Malkin on Crosby's wing not working.

good god. it DOES work. you didn't watch last year i take it.

and it's a short term thing when you're being shut out. no big deal
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WWGRD on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:27 pm

How will the 4th line be useless?

It's not Bis and Godard's fault that no one on the Sens wants to/can fight

Next game is against the Devils. Clarkson will fight Bis.

After that it's Philly. Godard vs. Cote. Asham vs. Bis.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lesky on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:27 pm

newarenanow wrote:
cs6687 wrote:I really hope the NHL avoids going to Europe in the future. What a joke. I've seen more excitement in church.

Crosby said that in the press conference yesterday after the game. Said he wasn't sure anyone was paying any attention in the stands and there was no real excitement. Said it was tough to play.

Now, that isn't an excuse, because both teams have to put up with it. But it does suck.

Well, they way Crosby played he was certainly not creating excitment. Had he not been who he his I´d be questioning what the hell he has done over the summer.
Looked slow and tired. Perhaps the crowd did feed from him?

Seriously, what did you expect having two "road teams" in that **** acoustic buliding playing pretty bad hockey?

Still sucks if the crowd sucked though.
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:27 pm

Give em' a week to work the kinks out during practice. I expect we'll see a different team come next Saturday.

In the meantime, I'm going to rip the idea of this European trip to hell and back tomorrow on the Factor.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Easton on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:33 pm

Jesse wrote:Give em' a week to work the kinks out during practice. I expect we'll see a different team come next Saturday.

In the meantime, I'm going to rip the idea of this European trip to hell and back tomorrow on the Factor.

I honestly wouldn't have minded the trip so much if A.) The ice was worse than putting up a rink in my back yard, and B.) It felt like a meaningless exhibition game. I mean really - you could have gotten more cheers/boos/something out of a funeral.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby npv708 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:38 pm

Easton wrote:
Jesse wrote:Give em' a week to work the kinks out during practice. I expect we'll see a different team come next Saturday.

I honestly wouldn't have minded the trip so much if A.) The ice was worse than putting up a rink in my back yard, and B.) It felt like a meaningless exhibition game. I mean really - you could have gotten more cheers/boos/something out of the guest of honor at a funeral.

fixt.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WWGRD on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:44 pm

How do you know Thomas won't be scratched? He's less effective than Bis and Godard
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:52 pm

Bissonette (4:13 + 3:47) and Godard (2:35 + 3:18) barely played as it is. Unless it's fighting the other team's tough guy just for the sake of fighting, that's not enough for either guy to get into the game enough to serve as any kind of deterrent. If those guys are going to be effective in that role, they need to be more in the 6-9 minute range, provided the game isn't special teams heavy. If you don't trust them enough to give them that much ice time (and I have no idea whether that's the case) then they should be dressed.

And in seeing a replay of Godard's double minor, I am even more convinced it was beyond horrible. Unless he's freakishly strong, the bump that knocked the Senator into Auld wasn't that hard, and afterward, while he was already engaged with Smith, Neil AND Ruutu grabbed up on him. It should have been even.

That said, nothing can be done about it now so there's no sense worrying about it anymore. Get home, rest up, and get ready for the real home opener against the Devils on Saturday.

Now it's time for some NHL09...
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CKA24 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:54 pm

That was such a terrible call on Godard... I hate the refs already...
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ron` on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:55 pm

Excellant now we can look forward to video games that are much more exciting.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby WWGRD on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:59 pm

netwolf wrote:Now it's time for some NHL09...

Sounds like a good idea to me.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:03 pm

In hindsight, I'm not upset splitting a home and home vs the Sens when you consider this isn't the team we killed in the playoffs but looks to be closer to the Sens that have been pretty good the last few years.

But I let the team down. I had my 6th beer open and almost finished but had to walk my daughter's friend back to her house during the 3rd. I forgot where I left my beer and found it after the game was over.

So Pens record when DelPen down 6 beers: 1-0
When DelPen doesn't: 0-1

Sorry guys.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cs6687 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:07 pm

In hindsight, I'm not upset splitting a home and home vs the Sens when you consider this isn't the team we killed in the playoffs but looks to be closer to the Sens that have been pretty good the last few years.

I respectfully disagree. With Gonchar, Whitney, and Sykora, the Pens rout the Senators in both games. The PP would have ripped the Senators to shreads. Ottawa was missing Fisher. That's it. The Pens are far superior to Ottawa when healthy. Ottawa is a borderline playoff team.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NJ5934 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:52 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:
Karl_Racki wrote:I will say it again, playing two goons in back to back games is useless.. Those two saw o third period shifts.
Satan and Fedotenko will never play all year with Sid.

Yea, Biz and Godard were the reason it took us 27 minutes with an extra guy to score.

Of course it is. You are playing 120 minutes of hockey in two days with 3 lines rolling. 4th line this year will be useless.

Historically, Therrien doesn't role four lines. Even when he claimed he was last season the guys were getting 4-5 minutes a night. That said, I'd rather have the size on the fourth line. We have enough guys absorbing hits.

Nobody is going to buy it but Godard is trying. He jumped in Smith's face after the big hit on Sid and was yapping at Ruutu and Neil everytime he was on the ice. The double minor was BS, anyone could see that so I'm not going to fault him for the power play goal. If the guy doesn't have a willing partner, he doesn't. He actually had a scoring chance today with Biz and Crosby and that was more than could be said for Satan. I have no problem with both dressing, especially since it's already been declared open season on Crosby.

We were shut out for 59 minutes tonight. The third line was the only line that generated any consistent energy. Sid was on his own for most of the night. Malkin was trying to do everything himself. The PP was 0 for 13 going into the final minute. Thats the story this weekend. Godard, Biz, Taffe and Thomas had very little with the lose today.

This team looks alot like the pre-Hossa team last season when they trapped at even strength and relied on the PP to make the difference. That's Therrien's game and thats fine but 0 for your first 13 PP's isn't going to help. Hopefully Sykora will get back in the lineup, Kennedy will add some energy to whatever line he drops to and Satan and Crosby will start to figure each other out.

On a positive note, Letang, Gill and Orpik have been solid and Gogo looked very confident with the puck today.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby booboo on Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:47 pm

The sad thing is that unless the outlook changes, we may be short of wingers for Sid again.
Fedo picks up stupid penalties maybe because he cannot not keep the pace. I still have hopes
for Satan, projecting from Hossa's slow start when he joined last season. But, after these
two games I would put Kennedy on Sid's left (when he shoots from the left circle it
almost always gets in - he should be parked there all the time to just wait for passes
from Sid) and let Fedotenko work his way up from the bottom.

That's the better of the two possible explanations. The other one is that Sid is not
that sharp right now. Could that be because he tries to shoot more than before?
Should he focus on playmaking after all?

I am very pleased watching Malkin, Kennedy, Staal, Gogo and Letang.
It was great to see a dman designated to be on the 1st PP unit
score a goal tonight. That will draw some of the opposing PK attention
to our young blueline and open some space for our forwards on PP.

I don't understand how Fleury managed to let that 3rd goal in. Plus, he
is trying, which is good, but he still is very unreliable a puck handler
and Ottawa seemed to focus on trying to exploit that. I felt that they
had dumped in more pucks than they had to. Still, good that he is willing
to learn how to do that.
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby CKA24 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:05 pm

I think that anyone who is truly *worried* about the winger situation needs to revisit the smart part of their brain.

Harsh -- yes. True -- absolutely.

The team had a shortened training camp, is notorious over the past few years for having simply AWFUL starts to the season, and they are still adjusting to new team members. The Pens didn't look that hot, but we shouldn't expect them to at this point. If in, say, mid-December they still look bad, we should worry.
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:22 pm

I'm not worried about the wingers. Satan will score. You could see he got the message today. Even though he got put on his rear end several times, he went into the corners and forechecked like he should have. It may take him some time to get used to Sid, but that's not a ground breaking statement. Even almighty Hossa started slow with Sid. Fedotenko, Dupuis, TK, Talbot, and even Cooke will rotate through that other wing all season. Staal may end up there too at some point if Sykora and Malkin are doing well together.

Kennedy isn't getting a regular top 6 spot at this point. Yeah, he scored 2 goals... most goalies would have made those shots look like nothing. He was fortunate Gerber was off. He plays his butt off all the time, which is perfect for a 3rd line role. If he proves that these goals weren't just flukes, he can earn that other winger spot if no one else does.

Once Sykora comes back, there will be some tough decisions. Who drops to the 4th line? Cooke is wasted down there, but so are Talbot, Dupuis and TK. Maybe they rotate those 4 and give Kennedy 4th line time to work on his face offs.

No panic at all. This team is talented, so they aren't going to be at 5% on the PP for very long. They just need to figure it out. I think MT should have pulled Gogo off the PP after the first couple attempts, but at least we know what he needs work on now.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:51 pm

The good news for me today my favorite football team the New York Giants 4-0 with a 44-6 win against the Seahawks.Bad news Pens played terrible against the Senahers.We really need Sykora back in the lineup.
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:15 pm

I'm most worried about the defense.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the loss of Sarge is HUGE.

Reminds me of the old Joanie Mitchell line "You don't know what you've got till it's gone..."
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby bhaw on Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:16 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:I'm most worried about the defense.

Reminds me of the old Joanie Mitchell line "You don't know what you've got till it's gone..."

I thought the D was fine, honestly. Minus Vermette's breakaway.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:46 pm

^ I thought he was referencing the actual defensive play. If you check my other posts, I made my thoughts on the PP and Gogo known :D

The actual defensive play was fine, I thought.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tjand72 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:54 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:I'm most worried about the defense.

So that wasn't a Cinderella original?
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The U on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:06 pm

Whether or not the Defensemen make any glaring mistakes or not isn't the only way to tell if we miss Gonchar/Whitney. If you don't see a good transition game, it's likely b/c the puck isn't getting to the forwards quickly enough from the D. If we look slow and look like we lack explosiveness or speed, it's because the D aren't getting the puck to the forwards in the right spots at the right times. So yeah, look for defensive breakdowns and bonehead plays but also see how losing Gonchar/Whitney impacts the chances that Crosby and others get on offense. Crosby getting fed pucks at center ice and darting thru the other teams' zone is one of his signature moves. If the defensive subs cant get him the puck thats a problem.

And the 4th line issue. This team really came together with great chemistry and energy late in the season when we started rolling 4 lines each and every game. Can't play only 3 lines. MT has done it in the past and there have been major issues. Get everyone involved and roll 'em. If you don't have faith that your 4th line can play quality minutes then you have to re-evaluate the men you chose to put on that line. Don't trust Biz to play more than 3 mins? They why is he here? Don't trust Thomas or Godard, etc...? Then bring up somebody you trust from the AHL or sign a guy to fill in and play "mistake-free". I personally LIKE the "names" on the 4th line...i just want to see them play with regularity. Getting some good hits and physical play from your 3rd and 4th lines is a BIG part of hockey. If you nail them to the bench you're not properly utilizing that weapon in your arsenal.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:36 pm

I guess i should have been more specific... The aspect of the "D" that's missed the most is the special teams play and the ability to rush the puck (Gonch's strengths).

I really can't believe (as a card carrying Gonch basher) that I'm saying this... But we miss Sarge.

This team misses a guy who can rush the puck and keep it in the attacking zone.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby pensfan20 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:42 pm

First let me say.. yes we miss GGGGGOnch... (sorry that was hard for me to say) BUT, lets not forget that the ice surface was horrible. Let's wait and see saturday what the D can do. All the guys were making horrible passes and no one could make a nice behind the net pass to one another.. im not saying that all of a sudden saturday we will have the next coming of Christ, but on "decent" (and i use that term loosly when refering to Mellon arena) ice surface they may step it up..
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins