Official 10/5/08 GDT Ottawa Senators @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 10/5/08 GDT Ottawa Senators @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Postby netwolf on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:48 pm

Not that Gonchar wouldn't help the power play, but I think the biggest problem that unit faced over the first two games was not adjusting. Their power play calls for quick, accurate passing to create high percentage shots. The Sens aggressive PK puts an even bigger premium on that kind of passing, but the ice wasn't conducive to that. I think they needed to simplify their approach, get more traffic in front and just throw pucks at the net instead of working to create a perfect shot. For whatever reason, they never made that adjustment.

Of the three guys out (Gonchar, Whitney, and Sykora), only one of them is a shoot-first kind of guy and that's Sykora.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:46 pm

The PP is showing growing pains, of course, but what I'm surprised about is that people have hardly talked about the effect no Gonchar and Whitney have on 5 on 5 offensive play. To me it seemed like the forwards weren't getting a lot of support in working the cycle and getting pucks on net, and creating odd-man rushes as well. I think because of this that scoring goals is gonna be a little tougher these next few games until they figure out how to deal without them.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby André on Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:22 am

jmh470 wrote:In this world nothing is certain but death, taxes, and Malkin on Crosby's wing not working.

Ehm. Actually, it has worked almost everytime they've tried it.

While not the ideal, overall solution it definetely works.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens2005 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:04 am

people need to honestly give goligoski a break. he handled himself very well on the powerplay and looks like someone who is made to man the point on one for a long time.

He'll be fine. our defense wasn't even noticeably bad or anything yesterday yet some are really criticizing him. what was noticeable? the awful powerplay. if they score once by accident on all of those (obviously not counting the last one with .8 seconds to go) powerplays we may have ended up with a point at least on sunday.

you can't keep going 0-for on the pp. however, i thought goligoski looked more in tune at the point than even letang. Yes, he did pass up on a shot in the 3rd but I thought he cycled down low at the right times, shifted over to open areas at the right times and had a few excellent passes to crosby allowing him to do his thing.

For his first TRUE start in the NHL with serious expectations I thought he played admirably. I left watching that game yesterday thinking that we have something special in Alex Goligoski. Then I came on here and 75% of you are really ripping into him after one game.

I found that interesting to say the least.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:10 am

I saw Mario was there...I'm sure that was a favor for Bettman. Can't see Mario wanting to take that trip when it is still golf season = )
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:24 am

pens2005 wrote:people need to honestly give goligoski a break. he handled himself very well on the powerplay and looks like someone who is made to man the point on one for a long time.

He'll be fine. our defense wasn't even noticeably bad or anything yesterday yet some are really criticizing him. what was noticeable? the awful powerplay. if they score once by accident on all of those (obviously not counting the last one with .8 seconds to go) powerplays we may have ended up with a point at least on sunday.

you can't keep going 0-for on the pp. however, i thought goligoski looked more in tune at the point than even letang. Yes, he did pass up on a shot in the 3rd but I thought he cycled down low at the right times, shifted over to open areas at the right times and had a few excellent passes to crosby allowing him to do his thing.

For his first TRUE start in the NHL with serious expectations I thought he played admirably. I left watching that game yesterday thinking that we have something special in Alex Goligoski. Then I came on here and 75% of you are really ripping into him after one game.

I found that interesting to say the least.

He didn't play badly, he just made a bunch of wrong decisions. Many on the PP. Go back and check out the 3rd period. The forwards were skating back into the defensive zone on breakouts and taking the puck from him. I noticed it a couple times.

He's not ready, especially for the PP right this second. He needs some games to learn the speed. With our defense banged up like it is, he'll have plenty of opportunities. I don't think anyone has gone out and said he played technically bad.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby LeopardLetang on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:53 pm

gogo showed me A LOT on the PP. i think he's immediately ready. he showed so much creative movement from the point. at times he also looked very comfortable slipping passes along the blueline to keep it in the zone. he'll make some mistakes, but i want him there until gonchar or whitney get back for sure.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:02 pm

LeopardLetang wrote:gogo showed me A LOT on the PP. i think he's immediately ready. he showed so much creative movement from the point. at times he also looked very comfortable slipping passes along the blueline to keep it in the zone. he'll make some mistakes, but i want him there until gonchar or whitney get back for sure.

He did fine, but he is still a big step down from Gonchar and Whitney.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:03 pm

Yeah he's definitely a step down from those two, but hes a better option than Letang up there at this point.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:05 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Yeah he's definitely a step down from those two, but hes a better option than Letang up there at this point.

After one game, I will agree with that. We'll see as time goes on. Wolf.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:07 pm

I might be a wolf for halloween. Not just a wolf though, if I do that, i'm gonna get one of the Dumb and Dumber tuxedos and wear that with a wolf mask.

The other option, that is probably the preference right now is to find a little kid's dinosaur costume(one of those ones where you face is in the dinosaur's mouth) and wear that for halloween. I need to continue the trend of little kid's costumes that i've done recently.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IrishEyes on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:19 pm

Oh man, Idoit... you sound like a really good friend of mine. He's a pretty small guy, and can fit into tiny costumes. One year he was a duck, then a slice of pizza. Last year he was going to be a hot dog, but couldn't get the costume in time... so he's apparently doing it this year.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CKA24 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:00 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Yeah he's definitely a step down from those two, but hes a better option than Letang up there at this point.

Tanger needs to just start shooting. He obviously has good offensive instincts, but he's not using them.
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins