Syko on the Point?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Syko on the Point?

Postby Corvidae on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:35 pm

Did it for Edmonton. What do you think? Viable option? Could use Malkin-Letang then Sykra-GoG for the 1 & 2 units.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Syko on the Point?

Postby CKA24 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:50 pm

YES! Orpik and Eaton... puhlease!
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:50 pm

I would definitely consider that. I remember watching a youtube video of him when we first acquired him. And I think about 65% of his goals came from the point/slot area on the PP. And that would also allow us to have more formidable 2nd PP unit on the point, as long as Letang is back there. I like the idea of putting Sykie on the point. We need to try something new on that horrendous PP. Along with how much we missed Gonch and Whits on the point these alst two games, I think we also underestimated Sykie's importance on the powerplay. He's one guy who will shoot until his hands fall off. Let's just hope some necessary changes are made before Saturday night. And if Goligoski is forced to be a healthy scratch now until when Gonch comes back, I am going to be pissed off. He has 1G 2A in 4 games in the NHL. That is enough for me. I can't wait until Saturday night though. It will be nice to be back on North American ice for sure.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:15 pm

I think Goligoski proved that he is not ready to man the PP today. If he's starting, he needs to get into the flow of the NHL and make better decisions. He played very much like a rookie and made a lot of really bad decisions from the point.

The focus needs to be on the 1st PP as they spend around 1:30 of each PP on the ice. I wouldn't hesitate to put Sykora on the 1st unit after today, whether that's the point or not.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ron` on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:17 pm

Come on GoGo is the saviour. All hail GoGo, everyone says he's ready.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:20 pm

Ron` wrote:Come on GoGo is the saviour. All hail GoGo, everyone says he's ready.

The sracasm rings true. He played exactly how I would have expected an undersized, offensive minded rookie forward. His decision making sucked and by the end of the games some of the Pens were basically taking the puck away from him in the defensive end.

He also dragged Letang's game down. Those two can't be on the ice together if they are both playing.

He needs to be a 3rd pairing guy with limited, if any, PP time to start until he gets used to how the NHL game works.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ron` on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:23 pm

bhaw wrote:
Ron` wrote:Come on GoGo is the saviour. All hail GoGo, everyone says he's ready.

The sracasm rings true. He played exactly how I would have expected an undersized, offensive minded rookie forward. His decision making sucked and by the end of the games some of the Pens were basically taking the puck away from him in the defensive end.

He also dragged Letang's game down. Those two can't be on the ice together if they are both playing.

He needs to be a 3rd pairing guy with limited, if any, PP time to start until he gets used to how the NHL game works.
I have long given up trying to reason with the mob here now. Just reset the game and start again. It's like a remake of Hockeys Future.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:35 pm

Everyone?

You might want to rethink that statement.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:49 pm

Jesse wrote:

Everyone?

Nope, not when you're mad about losing. Then you need to make generalizations and fun of people, making it seem like you're smarter than everyone ekse to make yourself feel better.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Why So Serious? on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:54 pm

I don't understand why people are so upset with Goligoski. I thought he played an okay game. He scored the only goal by way of a beautiful shot. And honestly, if people think Gogo should have limited PP time or no PP time, who the hell else are we supposed to send out there to man the point. Eaton?.. Orpik..? Gill?... Let's be realistic folks. Goligoski is currently our 2nd best option (behind Letang) offensively.
Last edited by Why So Serious? on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:54 pm

So if we all agree that reactionary, blanket statements aren't worth reading, can we all stop arguing about it and get back to talking hockey? Maybe?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ron_duguays_hair on Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:02 pm

Malkin remains our best option on the point.
ron_duguays_hair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Three Stars on Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:09 pm

netwolf wrote:So if we all agree that reactionary, blanket statements aren't worth reading, can we all stop arguing about it and get back to talking hockey? Maybe?

Isn't that a reactionary, blanket statement? :P
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:16 pm

No, because the "we" I was referring to was directed at those of us talking about reactionary, blanket statements. An you're giving me a headache. :P ;)
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:28 pm

Jesse wrote:

Everyone?

It definitely wasn't "everyone", in fact, it was probably a vocal minority.

I just find it ironic that some people wanted to trade Whitney, and even before that Gonchar, saying Gogolowski and Letang could take over, and we can spend those salaries on a high priced winger.

Those two may be the future, but they clearly aren't ready right now. However, neither has done a horrible job. They are just going through growing pains.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Billkamm on Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:37 pm

I've been waiting for it since Malkin on the point wasn't doing much
Billkamm
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bhaw on Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:00 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:I don't understand why people are so upset with Goligoski. I thought he played an okay game. He scored the only goal by way of a beautiful shot. And honestly, if people think Gogo should have limited PP time or no PP time, who the hell else are we supposed to send out there to man the point. Eaton?.. Orpik..? Gill?... Let's be realistic folks. Goligoski is currently our 2nd best option (behind Letang) offensively.

Malkin is our best option at point along with Letang on the other side where he doesn't have to run things.

Goligoski played ok, but as I said above, his decision making was disgusting. You don't often see Sid get pissed at one of his teammates like he did at Gogo.

The goal was meaningless. It's good that he scored, but with 1 second left, the Sens weren't really focused on blocking the shot or even covering him. He got a freebie, but as a rookie, you need those goals to boost your confidence.

Until Gonchar and/or Whitney are back, the thought of two balanced units should go out the window.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dagny on Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:01 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
Jesse wrote:

Everyone?

Nope, not when you're mad about losing. Then you need to make generalizations and fun of people, making it seem like you're smarter than everyone ekse to make yourself feel better.

Nah... it's Ron. He doesn't do things like that. He was just joking around. Y'know, like we all do sometimes? Sarcasm, it's an art. :wink:
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jimmy Straka on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:06 pm

doesn't skate well enough
Jimmy Straka

Postby scals37 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:15 am

sykora led the team in pp goals last season if im not mistaken, by being the open target to hit... not QBing from the point... he needs to remain an option in the slot and down low....
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Paekman on Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:57 am

Jimmy Straka wrote:doesn't skate well enough

This. He doesn't have the speed or agility to effectively play the point here IMO. Start him on the boards and rotate him into the high slot as the play dictates, then watch him unload.
Paekman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ron` on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:26 pm

Thanks Dagny. GoGo still has a way to go and should not be rushed like many here insist. Jesse, everyone was probably a bad word.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins