Please enlighten me...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Please enlighten me...

Postby Va Beach Pens Fan on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:06 am

I have a sincere question, I brought this question up on my blog but wanted to ask it here as well.

With the exception of making it easier to keep pucks in the zone (because the puck's on their forehand), what could possibly be the advantages of having a left-handed shot on the left point, and a right-handed shot on the right point ??

I just don't understand it, could someone please help me see the light ???
Va Beach Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Please enlighten me...

Postby spi on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:11 am

I will be checking back to this frequently because I too am dying to know the logic here. I was asking the same thing last year when Tang started getting PP time with Whit stinkin up the joint. Letang should be on the left point, period.
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:14 am

Va Beach Pens Fan wrote:I have a sincere question, I brought this question up on my blog but wanted to ask it here as well.

With the exception of making it easier to keep pucks in the zone (because the puck's on their forehand), what could possibly be the advantages of having a left-handed shot on the left point, and a right-handed shot on the right point ??

I just don't understand it, could someone please help me see the light ???

I know none. Sticks to the middle for prime pass-reception and shooting angles. In fact, I'm of the believe that sticks always should face the middle for defensemen -- not just on the power play. Sure, having your stick against the board is helpful at times, but its also a hindrance quite often.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby K2 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:16 am

One advantage is that it's much easier for a righty to one-time a shot from the left point because his body is naturally "open" to both the net and the passer
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bhaw on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:19 am

It puts the regular slapshots on the outside, which is not as good. But When they are skating in, the one timer is on the far side of the net making it easier to hit the far post. If your stick is on the inside, you have to pull the shot across your body.

Given Gogo and Letang were never going to take more than a shot or two from the point, it made a little sense.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Va Beach Pens Fan on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:21 am

K2 wrote:One advantage is that it's much easier for a righty to one-time a shot from the left point because his body is naturally "open" to both the net and the passer

I agree with you bud, but that wasn't my question, just the opposite... :D
Va Beach Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

You answered the question.

Postby SMTM on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:22 am

The main advantage is to keep the puck in the zone on your forehand. True, you lose the one timer, but unlike Gonchar, most defenseman have a hard time keeping the puck in the zone when it is fired up the boards with their backhand. While it might seem logical to have the one-timer available, if you can't keep the puck in the zone it won't matter about the shots from the points. That is what makes Gonchar so special for the powerplay. Quite honestly, the only player on the pens that comes close to his skating style and stick skill is Goligoski, and is his awfully green.
SMTM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: You answered the question.

Postby Va Beach Pens Fan on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:25 am

SMTM wrote:The main advantage is to keep the puck in the zone on your forehand. True, you lose the one timer, but unlike Gonchar, most defenseman have a hard time keeping the puck in the zone when it is fired up the boards with their backhand. While it might seem logical to have the one-timer available, if you can't keep the puck in the zone it won't matter about the shots from the points. That is what makes Gonchar so special for the powerplay. Quite honestly, the only player on the pens that comes close to his skating style and stick skill is Goligoski, and is his awfully green.

But does that not allow the PK, knowing that the one-timer won't be coming, to collapse back and guard against the cross-ice feeds ??
Va Beach Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby K2 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:15 am

Va Beach Pens Fan wrote:
K2 wrote:One advantage is that it's much easier for a righty to one-time a shot from the left point because his body is naturally "open" to both the net and the passer

I agree with you bud, but that wasn't my question, just the opposite... :D

Oh wow...more proof it takes me forever to function right after I wake up :lol:
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:52 am

I remember when we were all annoed because we didn't have the off hander to do one-timer. Now we have them and we use them on the "wrong" sides. Those are the questions I would like a reporter to ask the coaches. Not the fluff stuff. Real questions.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Va Beach Pens Fan on Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:54 am

By the way, just wanted to pass on that I emailed Dan Potash about this, he's going to try to ask Coach Yeo about it....

Whether that happens or not, who knows, but he's been honest with me in the past... I tried to interview him a month ago, and he had to turn me down because of his management's policy (aka "Don't Mingle With Those Damn Bloggers" policy). But instead of just turning me down via email, he called me to explain, which I really appreciated.
Va Beach Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tinker on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:51 am

I can see advanatages of both camps, but IMHO, you should plan for success, which would be in the zone with possession, as opposed to failure, which would be keeping the puck in on a clearing attempt. I know, I know, every PP will have both intermingled, but with this team, you have to like our chances of our fwds gaining the zone and maintaining possession. earlier teams, maybe not so much with the likes of Rico Fata, Milan Kraft, et al.
Tinker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Doogs on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:56 am

You want your D-man to have his *** against the boards. Use your skate to keep the zone. Your head facing the center of the ice to look for shot or pass opportunities. Safety reason when your back is turned to dig the puck on the forehand your are more vulnerable to checks from behind.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:02 am

I've never understood it either. Maybe on a depleted number two unit late in the game when you are just trying to kill out time you set them up like that, but if you are going for a goal you give yourself the best chance to do that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:03 am

maybe it's this...

letang and gogo are clearly not comfortable yet on the point. they get really tight when they get the puck and are more vulnerable to turnovers. so...with 2 guys who are going to have trouble controlling the puck at the point, maybe the coaches priority is to make it easier for them to maintain the zone by putting their forehands against the boards. when the puck wraps around, these 2 aren't skilled like sarge at corralling it on their backhand and quickly shifting it to their forehand. if they tried doing this, maybe the coaches know the puck would jump over their sticks and the pk'ing forwards would get sprung for odd man rushes.

so maybe it's just a preventative, safe measure.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:15 am

I too have wondered why you would want left shot on left point and right on right point for PP. You certainly lose the quick point to point pass where the dmen are not opened for one time point shots that arise from right shot on left point and left shot on right point.

I came up with a theory. Important as a point shot is on the pp, the ability to make the sure and quick pass to/from a forward in the offensive zone is more important. So a left shot on the left point makes for an easier pass down along the boards rather than cross body and angled to the winger in the corner/side of net. On a good pp the passing frequency is high and you have to pass through the coverage area when your dmen are not ls/lpoint rs/rpoint.

The ls/lpoint rs/rpoint work especially well when you have a left shot playing rw and a rs playing left wing. They are "open" to cross ice one timers and when they pass back to the point, they are going on the outside, and keeping the puck in the safe zone, along the board and away from defenders.

This is just based on my experience from playing rec hockey and watching the Pens for 20+ years. I'm sure Errey will read this and provide us with an eloquent explanation involving picklestabbers and pizza.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:48 am

ZenPenguin wrote: - Play Malkin on the point on the PP
- Put all your best players on the 1st PP unit, so the 2nd is worthless.

- the power play is better with malkin on point
- every team stacks the deck on their power play, and without sarge, whitney and sykora, we're forced to put all of our good players on 1 unit . not really up to the coaches.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins