Alarmed at the alarms.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Alarmed at the alarms.

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:27 pm

iseeguins wrote:they should have been clicking at ariound 35% on the powerplay

HAHAHAHA!!! I'm so glad I displayed this post.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWB on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:28 pm

Don't forget to get rid of Gonchar too.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:29 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

ok. i'm also on the "we shouldn't have just settled for top 5 the last 2 years" train, but 35%? um, yeaaaahhh....ok
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jimmy Straka on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:31 pm

therrien should be fired! He's failed twice in the playoffs and has the worst panic mechanism ever.
Joey Mullen for head coach!
Jimmy Straka

Postby iseeguins on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:40 pm

iseeguins wrote:
Kicksave wrote:You call out the people who are over-reacting, but you're suggesting Yeo freshen up his resume.

His resume includes the PP teams he's coached to be in the top 5-6 the last 3 years. He shouldn't have any problems finding a new job.

With the personnel the Penguins have had over the last couple of years, they should have been clicking at around 35% on the powerplay .. assuming reasonably good coaching. That's how much talent they've had. But they haven't done anywhere near that .. and so yeah, Yeo is apparently pretty lousy.
They should have been way, way ahead of everyone else in the league .. not merely "in the top 5 or 6".

Actually they'd do better without a "powerplay coach" at all as compared to using Yeo. But, they'd be even better still with a competent powerplay coach as compared to no coach.

And I won't even get into the head coaching realm, here. [eyes rolling].
iseeguins

Postby MWB on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:41 pm

iseeguins wrote:
Kicksave wrote:You call out the people who are over-reacting, but you're suggesting Yeo freshen up his resume.

His resume includes the PP teams he's coached to be in the top 5-6 the last 3 years. He shouldn't have any problems finding a new job.

With the personnel the Penguins have had over the last couple of years, they should have been clicking at ariound 35% on the powerplay .. assuming reasonably good coaching. That's how much talent they've had. But they haven't done anywhere near that .. and so yeah, Yeo is apparently pretty lousy.
They should have been way, way ahead of everyone else in the league .. not merely "in the top 5 or 6".

You are right, that would be way, way better than everyone in the league... about 10-15 percentage points better than the best in the league. That's like saying Michael Jordan should have been averaging 50 points a game to the next best guy's 30 points.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby iseeguins on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:50 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

ok. i'm also on the "we shouldn't have just settled for top 5 the last 2 years" train, but 35%? um, yeaaaahhh....ok

Hey .. have proper respect for this talent we have. (?) Seriously.
OK .. ok .. I'll amend that to .. between 30% and 35% .. somewhere in there.
iseeguins

Postby wallflower on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:52 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:If they aren't shooting, the fault is theirs alone. No coach can fix the problem.

Not necessarily true - if the players aren't shooting, what is the obvious fix for Yeo to employ?

Two words: shock collars.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jimmy Straka on Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:03 pm

wallflower wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:If they aren't shooting, the fault is theirs alone. No coach can fix the problem.

Not necessarily true - if the players aren't shooting, what is the obvious fix for Yeo to employ?

Two words: shock collars.

I blame it on the fans, they're always calling for our guys to make the perfect pass. especially the drunk ones who don't understand that you have to shoot like crazy in order to win.
Jimmy Straka

Postby bhaw on Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:13 pm

It would also probably be applicable to this conversation that the team has improved on the PP each year since Yeo has been coaching it. So maybe that should be taken into account as well. It's not like they've gone backwards in any season.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:34 pm

iseeguins wrote:

The only team in NHL history to achieve 35% or higher on the PP throughout the entire season was the 76-77 Canadiens.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kicksave on Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:44 pm

skullman80 wrote:
iseeguins wrote:

The only team in NHL history to achieve 35% or higher on the PP throughout the entire season was the 76-77 Canadiens.

Stop proving his point.

The Penguins are obviously just as good, if not better, than the 76-77 Canadians.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:52 pm

iseeguins wrote:Hey .. have proper respect for this talent we have. (?) Seriously.

hahaha. Ok, so, hey let's look at Detroit. Zetterberg, Hossa, Datsyuk, Rafalski, and arguably the best QB in Lidstrom. Many would say that trumps the Pens PP even with Gonch and Whit back. So that means they should be at 30 + percentage points too, right? I mean, if they're not, what does that say about Detroit's immaculate coaching staff?
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:54 pm

bhaw wrote:It would also probably be applicable to this conversation that the team has improved on the PP each year since Yeo has been coaching it. So maybe that should be taken into account as well. It's not like they've gone backwards in any season.

Shhhh. Didn't you get the memo that hard evidence is not allowed in this debate?
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Scott on Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:41 am

meecrofilm wrote:
bhaw wrote:It would also probably be applicable to this conversation that the team has improved on the PP each year since Yeo has been coaching it. So maybe that should be taken into account as well. It's not like they've gone backwards in any season.

Shhhh. Didn't you get the memo that hard evidence is not allowed in this debate?

That is just as choc full of hard evidence as me saying that the personel and the maturity level have gotten better to enable the PP to improve.

When a team is stronger playing at equal terms than with a man advantage there is a problem.

As a Pens fan, we have all been way too exposed to the " he walks in on goal and heeeeeee passes....over and over again! :( This is nothing new to Pens fans.

I think in prior years coaches were afraid to get after their ass about this because of Mario..#1, Jagr #2 etc etc

Don't upset the 8,000 pound gorilla in those cases.

With the current group if you don't yell a bit and get after it, you are only doing this young group a disservice!

The only one negative that you can ever say about Mario is that players often times waited for him to do something. The sadder thing was that coaches also waited for Mario to do something.

I want a coach that isn't going to wet themselves if they have to tell Sidney or Malkin they are effing up !!!!!
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby gregor on Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:43 am

gregor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Scott on Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:49 am

meecrofilm wrote:
iseeguins wrote:Hey .. have proper respect for this talent we have. (?) Seriously.

hahaha. Ok, so, hey let's look at Detroit. Zetterberg, Hossa, Datsyuk, Rafalski, and arguably the best QB in Lidstrom. Many would say that trumps the Pens PP even with Gonch and Whit back. So that means they should be at 30 + percentage points too, right? I mean, if they're not, what does that say about Detroit's immaculate coaching staff?

LOL..

the only people that would say that group trumps the Pens is the people that know Detroit is a better coached team. Because they RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. :lol:

From a personel standpoint you would be hard pressed to find any...let alone many that say they trump the Pens PP.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby vital beach on Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:50 am

Scott wrote:That is just as choc full of hard evidence as me saying that the personel and the maturity level have gotten better to enable the PP to improve.

In what way is the personnel better? The Penguins no longer employ Ryan Malone and Marian Hossa. They are currently without the services of Sergei Gonchar, Ryan Whitney, and Petr Sykora. Malkin is in the process of adjusting to the point still, and even then he has been put down low at times.

It is two games into the season following maybe the shortest camp ever. Most teams are still tinkering with their rosters as their preseason is winding down. Not only that but any progress they made in camp gelling with Sarge as the QB was thrown away with David Koci. When a PP unit has been overhauled like the Pens' has it's going to take a little bit longer than a short camp and two quasi-regular season games to get to a comfort level.

I can't fathom how you're already calling for Mike Yeo's head.
vital beach

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:24 am

iseeguins makes me want to punch myself in the face over and over and over.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Three Stars on Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:39 am

It must suck to only be as good as your most recent loss. I wonder if the Pens sit there in the locker room contemplating that.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:48 am

Kovy27 wrote:iseeguins makes me want to punch myself in the face over and over and over.

iseeguins makes me want to punch Kovy in the face over and over and over again.

Keep posting!
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kicksave on Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:53 am

So...which former poster is iseeguins?

EvilGuins? crzymike? Melvin?
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:57 am

Kicksave wrote:So...which former poster is iseeguins?

EvilGuins? crzymike? Melvin?

All of them?? :shock:
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kicksave on Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:58 am

que the Mike Motivational Poster.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nizzy on Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:01 am

Anyone in this posting in this thread could have our power play at least top 10 in the league with Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Gonch, Whit on the PP. Problem is we are missing Gonch/Whit right now. It was the first 2 real games without our top 2 PP Quarterbacks. It is going to take some time to fix it and find something that works. Maybe Goligoski is the answer. He passed up the chance to shoot the puck when he had a great shot, you could tell he was hesitant a bit. Then he finally rips one and scores.

How is this remotely Yeo's fault at all? (I didn't like Crosby and Malkin both at the points though lol)
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins