A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby ffemtreed on Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:51 pm

Hey, I remember the not so long ago days of players like Taffe being 1st liners on this team! Remember the RICOOOOOOOOOO FAAAAAAATA
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,759
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:32 pm
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby KG on Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:56 pm

I tell you what...I will probably get fleeced for this...But I would gives Glen Murray's agent a call and see what his contract demands are right now...

He can still score goals and has good size...

Crosby/Satan/Murray
Malkin/Staal/Sykora
Talbot/Cooke/Fedotenko
Kennedy/Godard/Dupuis

Or if you are deadset against Murray on the top wing, you can put Fedotenko back...

I would consider Mark Parrish as well...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,978
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby Defence21 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:03 pm

KG wrote:I tell you what...I will probably get fleeced for this...But I would gives Glen Murray's agent a call and see what his contract demands are right now...

He can still score goals and has good size...

Crosby/Satan/Murray
Malkin/Staal/Sykora
Talbot/Cooke/Fedotenko
Kennedy/Godard/Dupuis

Or if you are deadset against Murray on the top wing, you can put Fedotenko back...

I would consider Mark Parrish as well...

I know Shanahan is apparently real close to a deal with the Rangers, but I'd be on the phone with him. I think our top lines are fine -- certainly no worse than they were last year at this time, and washed up unsigned wingers aren't going to do the trick in a top-line role. There are, however, players out there who can help the bottom lines, thus allowing Therrien to roll four lines as he has in the past, thus giving the top liners a breather, thus potentially increasing their production.

Shanahan as a fourth liner with PP and PK time interests me.

Aside from him, I'd be looking at a gritty faceoff specialist to center the fourth line.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,847
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby KG on Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:08 pm

Defence21 wrote:
KG wrote:I tell you what...I will probably get fleeced for this...But I would gives Glen Murray's agent a call and see what his contract demands are right now...

He can still score goals and has good size...

Crosby/Satan/Murray
Malkin/Staal/Sykora
Talbot/Cooke/Fedotenko
Kennedy/Godard/Dupuis

Or if you are deadset against Murray on the top wing, you can put Fedotenko back...

I would consider Mark Parrish as well...

I know Shanahan is apparently real close to a deal with the Rangers, but I'd be on the phone with him. I think our top lines are fine -- certainly no worse than they were last year at this time, and washed up unsigned wingers aren't going to do the trick in a top-line role. There are, however, players out there who can help the bottom lines, thus allowing Therrien to roll four lines as he has in the past, thus giving the top liners a breather, thus potentially increasing their production.

Shanahan as a fourth liner with PP and PK time interests me.

Aside from him, I'd be looking at a gritty faceoff specialist to center the fourth line.


Agreed...Their are still some solid veteran options out there imo...

Smolinski, Shanahan, Murray, Parrish, Pettinger, Gelinas, Lapointe...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,978
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:49 pm

Taffe Waffed......


had to
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,938
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby KG on Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:10 pm

KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,978
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:18 pm

i wonder if there are going to be any "Should we sign Jeff Taffeey?" threads in various team discussion boards.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,090
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:13 pm

i dont know... we have the roster space and i am definitely not satisfied with fedotenko on our top 2 lines, same as dupuis...

shanny or glen murray would be fantastic pickups to fill that role. shanny still has a lot left. glen murray is not as much of a sure thing though. i'd also give smolinski a hell of a look for a 4th line center role.

smolinski, kennedy, biz nasty, godard, billy T would be a nice rotation for line 4
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,739
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: Born and Raised in Kent Manderville

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby Defence21 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:27 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:i dont know... we have the roster space and i am definitely not satisfied with fedotenko on our top 2 lines, same as dupuis...

shanny or glen murray would be fantastic pickups to fill that role. shanny still has a lot left. glen murray is not as much of a sure thing though. i'd also give smolinski a hell of a look for a 4th line center role.

smolinski, kennedy, biz nasty, godard, billy T would be a nice rotation for line 4

Shanahan does NOT have a lot left, hence his demotion to the fourth line last season. If anyone is brought it -- and let me be clear, I highly doubt anyone will be -- it will be for the bottom line.

Shero has a history of starting the season with a 22-player roster. As it stands, the roster is at 22 players. Don't bank on any moves.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,847
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:43 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:i dont know... we have the roster space and i am definitely not satisfied with fedotenko on our top 2 lines, same as dupuis...

shanny or glen murray would be fantastic pickups to fill that role. shanny still has a lot left. glen murray is not as much of a sure thing though. i'd also give smolinski a hell of a look for a 4th line center role.

smolinski, kennedy, biz nasty, godard, billy T would be a nice rotation for line 4

Shanahan does NOT have a lot left, hence his demotion to the fourth line last season. If anyone is brought it -- and let me be clear, I highly doubt anyone will be -- it will be for the bottom line.

Shero has a history of starting the season with a 22-player roster. As it stands, the roster is at 22 players. Don't bank on any moves.


Well shanny still scored 23 goals last season in 73 games on a defensively minded team which he spent a time on the 4th line. He is also a physical presence that helps fill the toughness void left by some of our departures. At 39 he is still twice the player fedotenko ever will be.

Either way, though, you are right in that there won't be any additions like that. A minor move if any.

Just pointing out how nice he'd look on our team.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,739
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: Born and Raised in Kent Manderville

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby Ginger on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:10 pm

Defence21 wrote:Shanahan does NOT have a lot left, hence his demotion to the fourth line last season. If anyone is brought it -- and let me be clear, I highly doubt anyone will be -- it will be for the bottom line.

Shero has a history of starting the season with a 22-player roster. As it stands, the roster is at 22 players. Don't bank on any moves.

My thought too. I'd be surprised to see anything worth talking about from now...then again, with this lot, if we don't find something we can make it up. :D That usually gets lots of talk started.
I wouldn't want Shanny either but I'm not adverse to Pettinger. And he's only 28.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,734
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:32 pm
Location: Basically in my own little world

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby purelebo84 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:35 pm

I feel like a real idiot.

Starting the same thread 4 hours after it was already posted. Sorry I didn't see it.

I feel shame.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,949
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: The 412

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby bill from turtle creek on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:45 pm

By all means, it makes a lot of sense for the Stanley Cup finalist to fill in their roster with castoffs from inferior teams. Let's hope that Shero adopts this strategy, and adheres to it.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,686
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Serenity Now, Serenity Now.

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby DocEmrick on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:50 pm

I'd count out some of the older guys, like Shannahan. This is just speculation, but I'd bet that word, or if not word plenty of examples, has gotten around about the Penguins and their stance on older players. Both John LeClair and Mark Recchi left on less-than-good terms. Gary Roberts, we believe, left on good terms, but let's be honest. The Pens did not pursue him, and I doubt he expected them to make an offer. Likewise, look at Darryl Sydor, our Top Healthy Scratch from last season. Granted, that picture has changed with the recent injuries. Never-the-less, Pittsburgh's track record with aged players who expect all-star treatment is just what it should be. Take the demotion or hit the road. This is a combination of MT's Gold Club Rewards System and Ray Shero's business practices. Nothing wrong with it, especially when you have a capable leader that's 21 years old.
Last edited by DocEmrick on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,374
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:33 pm
Location: SETEC Astronomy

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby purelebo84 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:50 pm

KG wrote:I tell you what...I will probably get fleeced for this...But I would gives Glen Murray's agent a call and see what his contract demands are right now...

He can still score goals and has good size...

Crosby/Satan/Murray
Malkin/Staal/Sykora
Talbot/Cooke/Fedotenko
Kennedy/Godard/Dupuis

Or if you are deadset against Murray on the top wing, you can put Fedotenko back...

I would consider Mark Parrish as well...

Kennedy would center that line, not Godard.

I agree that Murray would be a good pickup, same with Parrish.

But my top 6-

Staal-Crosby-Satan
Murray-Malkin-Sykora
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,949
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: The 412

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby KG on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:56 pm

I know Kennedy would center that line...I list the center first for whatever reason...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,978
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby purelebo84 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:01 pm

Sorry, my bad for not noticing that.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,949
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:22 pm
Location: The 412

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby Draftnik on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:49 pm

Taffe is a dime a dozen type of guy. He should be replaced by a faster, grittier player that is good on faceoffs.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby Tico Rick on Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:02 pm

This is the most boneheaded move the Penguins have made since they let Rick Berry go.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,312
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:04 pm

I guess Shero is already packing it in for the season...
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby Billkamm on Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:10 pm

He's a 5th liner at best.
Billkamm
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 12:38 pm
Location: Cranberry Twp, PA

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:10 am

When someone picks him up, we should trade Whitney for him.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,908
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:04 pm
Location: The breakfast table of TRIUMPH!

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby Admin on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:33 am

purelebo84 wrote:I feel like a real idiot.

Starting the same thread 4 hours after it was already posted. Sorry I didn't see it.

I feel shame.

You've just been placed on waivers. By noon tomorrow we'll know if another board picks you up. :wink:
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10,979
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby Doogs on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:51 am

Billkamm I'm with you. He was today's version of Ian Moran. His versatility kept him on the team...right up until you get someone to actually play the position with some ability. Best of luck, and at worst enjoy WB-S.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,939
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:29 pm
Location: Wexford

Re: A moment of silence ... Taffe waived

Postby Ron` on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:58 am

Shanny is done, let's not pay for the road trip.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,037
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:58 pm
Location: Central PA

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mr. Colby and 28 guests


e-mail