If Kennedy and Talbot are too good for 4th line duty

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If Kennedy and Talbot are too good for 4th line duty

Postby Noise on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:03 pm

Why not Pascal Dupuis as 4th line center?

He's played center in Atlanta
He's defensively responsible
He's a fast skater
He could probably cover up for the blunders we're going to see Bissy and Godard make to a certain extent

Of course, you could rotate him, Kennedy, and Talbot, whoever MT is trying to send a message to to play better.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: If Kennedy and Talbot are too good for 4th line duty

Postby Penspal on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:08 pm

There is something to be said for this option. I predict it will get two shifts on Saturday before MT deems it NOT WORTHY.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Paekman on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:11 pm

No real issues with Dupuis as a 4th line center, but I think that Kennedy is best suited to that role right now, especially given that he's at least decent at face-offs. Also, his energy with Biz and Thomas and/or Godard makes for a solid unit.

Talbot, Cooke and Dupuis was pretty solid for us in Sweden, IMO. Let them work together for a while.
Paekman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wallflower on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:11 pm

But Talbot isn't on the fourth line, he's centering the third?

(Though Dupuis on the fourth might be worth a try and, knowing MT, at some point it probably will happen.)
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:12 pm

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind seeing Thomas sent down, with a bigger, more physical fourth line center coming in, either via trade or waivers (if one is available). Then the Penguins could roll a fourth line with Dupuis/Kennedy, the new center and Godard/Bissonnette. That line would look very similar to last year's fourth line and would be capable of playing more than 4 or 5 minutes a game.

Heck, I wouldn't even be opposed to signing Shanahan as a replacement for Thomas. Shanahan has a scoring touch, can kill penalties (indicating his defensive play), might work well in front of the net on the second PP unit, and plays a physical game. Put him on Kennedy's left wing and Godard or Bissonnette on the right, and that line is pretty nice looking.
Last edited by Defence21 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Noise on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:15 pm

wallflower wrote:But Talbot isn't on the fourth line, he's centering the third?

(Though Dupuis on the fourth might be worth a try and, knowing MT, at some point it probably will happen.)

No, Talbot isn't on the 4th line. But someone's gotta center it, and it won't be Taffe.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:19 pm

Noise wrote:
wallflower wrote:But Talbot isn't on the fourth line, he's centering the third?

No, Talbot isn't on the 4th line. But someone's gotta center it, and it won't be Taffe.

Therrien already has said Kennedy is the fourth line center, and Talbot hasn't budged from his third line center position from day one of camp. Playing on the fourth line didn't hurt Talbot last season, and it won't hurt Kennedy this season, as long as the line gets plenty of icetime.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Noise on Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:18 pm

When Talbot played on the 4th line the Pens had a 4th line that could be trusted with some ice time. I just don't buy Kennedy between Godard and Bissy.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:25 pm

Noise wrote:When Talbot played on the 4th line the Pens had a 4th line that could be trusted with some ice time. I just don't buy Kennedy between Godard and Bissy.

Doesn't Bill Thomas play for this team still?

Godard and Bissonnete won't both dress on a nightly basis. Bank on that.

Biss/Godard - Kennedy - Thomas

Keep in mind that two games does not make a player a superstar. Last season, some were saying Kennedy would be fighting for a roster spot this year, and the same was said even a few weeks into camp. He had two good games to start the season and now he's too good for the fourth line? Let's let him play there, and play some second PP and PK minutes, and let's let his total be around 10 minutes a night. It makes a heck of a lot more sense than moving someone to play fourth line center who has never played center before.
Last edited by Defence21 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Senka on Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:26 pm

Taffe gone.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Senka on Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:28 pm

The way i see it, the Cooke-Talbot-Dupuis line was fast as hell. like they looked good. and if you alternate one out for a TK, its moving sideways in speed. TK can move up in time, but i still say 4th line duties is fine for him. to center his own line is fine. if he keeps producing like in Sweeden, give him some more PP time (he was on the second unit already) ... then maybe promote him. but for now, 3 games in, hes fine.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby saleen66 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:28 pm

Kennedy, especially after his showing over in Stockholm, should go nowhere near the fourth line, especially if they are only going to get 4-5 minutes of icetime.
saleen66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:37 pm

Senka wrote:Taffe gone.

Brain fart. I meant Thomas.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:39 pm

saleen66 wrote:Kennedy, especially after his showing over in Stockholm, should go nowhere near the fourth line, especially if they are only going to get 4-5 minutes of icetime.

Add in PP and PK time and he'll be at or beyond 10 minutes per game.

Also factor in that one of Biss and Godard likely will be scratched in most games and replaced with Thomas, and you'll see that the fourth line is likely to get a few more minutes, anyway.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:47 pm

Defence21 wrote:
saleen66 wrote:Kennedy, especially after his showing over in Stockholm, should go nowhere near the fourth line, especially if they are only going to get 4-5 minutes of icetime.

Add in PP and PK time and he'll be at or beyond 10 minutes per game.

Also factor in that one of Biss and Godard likely will be scratched in most games and replaced with Thomas, and you'll see that the fourth line is likely to get a few more minutes, anyway.

yeah, kennedy on the 4th would get about 10 per game, depending on circumstantial PP stuff.

i'd eventually rather have cooke or dupuis on that line, but kennedy needs to pick up some fundamentals, so let him learn there for a while. he's good with the puck on his stick, but seems to be lost in the offensive zone when he's not carrying it.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ffemtreed on Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:53 pm

I am Ok with Bis Kennedy and Godard on a nightly basis.

With two top lines like the Pens have along with a solid 3rd line that can eat up some minutes we should be good to go!

Having a nasty energy line that can hit fight and be tough to play against as part of the lineup every single night will be a blessing when they are needed. Sure we know teams like the cryers and such that we will need those extra players, but if you watched hockey long enough you know that ANY game can get nasty really quickly.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:00 pm

deep down inside, arent kennedy, talbot and dupuis realy the same person? With different amount of facial hair, of course.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Defence21 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:10 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:deep down inside, arent kennedy, talbot and dupuis realy the same person? With different amount of facial hair, of course.

I see Kennedy as an agitator in the making -- someone who will be extremely tough to play against. Maybe not Ruutu-type pest, but pesty. Kennedy, on the other hand, is more of a speedster who uses that to his advantage in every situation. He'll pressure defenses, backcheck hard, etc -- all because of his speed. Dupuis, is defense first all the way. He uses good positioning and solid hockey sense to play a sound defensive game with the occasional burst of speed or hit. Ultimately, they are very similar in that they're all third/fourth liners, but so is Matt Cooke, who I wouldn't consider to be similar to any of them -- even though his game slightly resembles a more edgy/physical Talbot.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:37 pm

Talbot and Dupuis are more proven than Kennedy, thus he gets 4th line duty.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby purelebo84 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:52 pm

Wouldn't look bad at all.

3rd line- Kennedy-Talbot-Cooke
4th line- Bisso-Dupuis-Godard

Let me add that TK IS too good for the 4th line.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:01 pm

purelebo84 wrote:Wouldn't look bad at all.

3rd line- Kennedy-Talbot-Cooke
4th line- Bisso-Dupuis-Godard

Let me add that TK IS too good for the 4th line.

I don't mind playing Biz once in a while. But if he and Godard play together, that line will get like 3 shifts a game...Pens need another forward imo...Someone better then Thomas...

Ideally, they could add another top 6 forward and move Fedotenko down to the 3rd line and move everyone down a peg...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:38 pm

Defence21 wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:deep down inside, arent kennedy, talbot and dupuis realy the same person? With different amount of facial hair, of course.

I see Kennedy as an agitator in the making -- someone who will be extremely tough to play against. Maybe not Ruutu-type pest, but pesty. Kennedy, on the other hand, is more of a speedster who uses that to his advantage in every situation. He'll pressure defenses, backcheck hard, etc -- all because of his speed. Dupuis, is defense first all the way. He uses good positioning and solid hockey sense to play a sound defensive game with the occasional burst of speed or hit. Ultimately, they are very similar in that they're all third/fourth liners, but so is Matt Cooke, who I wouldn't consider to be similar to any of them -- even though his game slightly resembles a more edgy/physical Talbot.

You said Kennedy twice, but didn't explain Talbot.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

I see Talbot as an agitator in the making -- someone who will be extremely tough to play against. Maybe not Ruutu-type pest, but pesty. Kennedy, on the other hand, is more of a speedster who uses that to his advantage in every situation. He'll pressure defenses, backcheck hard, etc -- all because of his speed. Dupuis, is defense first all the way. He uses good positioning and solid hockey sense to play a sound defensive game with the occasional burst of speed or hit. Ultimately, they are very similar in that they're all third/fourth liners, but so is Matt Cooke, who I wouldn't consider to be similar to any of them -- even though his game slightly resembles a more edgy/physical Talbot.

You said Kennedy twice, but didn't explain Talbot.

Fixed. Sorry, I've had a very difficult day.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:43 pm

I like:

Fedotenko - Crosby - Satan
Staal - Malkin - Sykora(Kennedy for now)
Cooke - Talbot - Dupuis
Biz - Kennedy(Thomas for now) - Godard/Thomas
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wallflower on Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:46 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I like:

Fedotenko - Crosby - Satan
Staal - Malkin - Sykora(Kennedy for now)
Cooke - Talbot - Dupuis
Biz - Kennedy(Thomas for now) - Godard/Thomas

I would imagine this is pretty much what the line up is going to look like on Saturday.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins