Was this from the Cooke hit at the end of the game?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Was this from the Cooke hit at the end of the game?

Postby Va Beach Pens Fan on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:25 am

Could have also been when Free Candy hit him along the boards....
Va Beach Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby westside on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:44 am

"Dany Heatley will be captain in Alfredsson's absence, while Jarkko Ruutu will take his spot on the top line. "

Is that an error or just a bad Joke?
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Loaf31 on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:48 am

westside wrote:"Dany Heatley will be captain in Alfredsson's absence, while Jarkko Ruutu will take his spot on the top line. "

I wonder why MT never gave Ruutu a chance on Sid's wing???
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pensfan20 on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:52 am

Loaf31 wrote:
westside wrote:"Dany Heatley will be captain in Alfredsson's absence, while Jarkko Ruutu will take his spot on the top line. "

If your being serious, then i agree. Not for long stretches, but look at Neil and Avery, they both have played PP and top line. Ruutu does have skill, just never expected to play that role on this team. Remember the soccor shift? I dont think that was a rare thing... IMO.. im NOT saying he is top 6 player. just saying that he could have had a couple shifts there instead of dropping Sid or Geno to the 4th line for a shift to go out there and center 2 slower guys...
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby westside on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:55 am

pensfan20 wrote:
Loaf31 wrote:

If your being serious, then i agree. Not for long stretches, but look at Neil and Avery, they both have played PP and top line. Ruutu does have skill, just never expected to play that role on this team. Remember the soccor shift? I dont think that was a rare thing... IMO.. im NOT saying he is top 6 player. just saying that he could have had a couple shifts there instead of dropping Sid or Geno to the 4th line for a shift to go out there and center 2 slower guys...

Not doubt he's got the skill to play a shift or two if only to get the energy going on that top line, but to give him a game or two up there is a big mistake IMO especially given how much the Sens play that top line. I don't think he can do 20 min a game and be effective.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:57 am

Ruutu can't even play third line minutes without taking dumb penalties. I don't think Ruutu could have kept up with Crosby. He's skilled, but his hands and feet are slow. Therrien's treatment of Ruutu was often criticized but there's a reason he's mostly been a fourth line player everywhere he's been.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pensfan20 on Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:05 pm

HH, how much of those dumb penalties do you think resulted in him trying to be a "pest" due to trying to fulfill his "role" on the team. If he didnt go and be a "pest" he wouldnt get any icetime. He proved in his shoot out attempts that he could play hockey. Dont know why i have a soft spot for him, but i just feel like he takes penalties trying to fulfil his role too much.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Loaf31 on Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:15 pm

I was being sarcastic. Ruutu could slide up to the top line for a couple of shifts, not for long stretches though.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wallflower on Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:41 pm

pensfan20 wrote:HH, how much of those dumb penalties do you think resulted in him trying to be a "pest" due to trying to fulfill his "role" on the team. If he didnt go and be a "pest" he wouldnt get any icetime. He proved in his shoot out attempts that he could play hockey. Dont know why i have a soft spot for him, but i just feel like he takes penalties trying to fulfil his role too much.

With a player like Ruutu, you have to take the good with the bad. Most of the time, he drives the other team nuts (like when he made Rozsival have a temper tantrum during the playoffs because he kept lifting his stick up in front of his face during the face off). On the other hand, sometimes, he doesn't know when to stop or where to draw the line. And, unfortunately for Ruutu, he never gets the benefit of the doubt with officials so it's more like the good with the bad [and often unfair].

I know a lot of people "soured" on Ruutu last weekend but his antics just made me laugh. He was so desperate to get under the Penguins' skins but they just ignored him [because they know how he operates], which seemed to drive him crazy. He thought he had the advantage, knowing the guys on this team and how they think but he didn't really take into account that they know him too. He's like a little kid, desperate for attention. [The only thing I really had a problem with was the charging. That's not okay, no matter who does it.]
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:01 pm

I'm not talking about the penalties he gets for being Ruutu. I'm talking about the dumb hooks and holds in the offensive zone. Down the stretch last season, he was legitimately taking one of those per game. When he goads someone into a penalty, or even if he has to go to the box with them, he's fine. It was the dumb penalties he took that had nothing to do with his "role" that cut into his ice time.

Ruutu played his best hockey with the Pens in the playoffs last year. He was placed into a third line role and made an effort to be disciplined. He stayed out of the box and got consistent ice time, and he even contributed in other ways scoring some key goals and doing some PK work. The problem in Ruutu's Pens tenure was that probably 90% of the time, he wasn't that player. He was very inconsistent in what he brought. When I saw him over the weekend with Ottawa, I was glad he's not here anymore. Seeing a guy take penalties while trying to rile up the other team is not doing his job if he's not taking anyone with him. Seeing him not get the benefit of the doubt on two possible Pens penalties is a theme with him because the refs have no respect for him.

On the other hand, seeing Cooke level Alfredsson in retaliation of that other hit was a thing of beauty. I think Cooke will be much more the player you want in that role given his more consistent physical presence with seemingly more discipline.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:13 pm

he takes dumb penalties. He gets a 2nd chance in Ottawa.

But in his defence, his reputation alone got him penalties. He was fine for a stretch last year, then suddenly he was getting called on the same things he was previously NOT getting called for.

It won't last, him on the top line.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:27 pm

pens20 wrote:http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=252177&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl

If so...that's what happens when Ruutu elbows and relaxes on top of Sid for 30 seconds...Alfie pays the price...Nice job Cooke!

We can only hope that The Diving Whining Choking Dog was done in a by a hit by a Penguin.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:56 pm

pensfan20 wrote:HH, how much of those dumb penalties do you think resulted in him trying to be a "pest" due to trying to fulfill his "role" on the team. If he didnt go and be a "pest" he wouldnt get any icetime. He proved in his shoot out attempts that he could play hockey. Dont know why i have a soft spot for him, but i just feel like he takes penalties trying to fulfil his role too much.

I posted this last year in march. My assertion was that about 70% of Ruutu's penalties were completely meaningless. they didn't send a physical message nor did they do anything to take the other team off their game, they were just sloppy, minor penalties. they didn't take place for any greater purpose, they were just a result of stupidity.

these numbers are through about 75 games:

i did a quick browse through the box scores. ruutu has somewhere near 36 minor penalties this year. 21 are for hooking/holding/interference/tripping/diving (non-aggressive, sloppy penalties).

there were like 5 or 6 unsportsmanlikes. and the rest were roughing/charging/boarding/slashing/cross checking (aggressive, energy penalties).

i think if take away the coincidental roughing penalties, my low-end 70% is close to correct.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins