Godard-Letang fight in practice

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Godard-Letang fight in practice

Postby NJ5934 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:04 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:
The issue is Therrien. Shero obviously saw the need for guys like Ruutu, Laraque and Roberts (I think its in Shero's blood). You can have 10 tough guys, but if the coach insists they go out and trap, there isn't going to be too much room for hitting.

[\quote]

Ruutu and BGL wanted alot of money for 3rd and 4th line role players, and you are going to throw MT under the bus for letting those guys go?

No, your missing my point. I don't think Ruutu and Laraque had the liberty to play their game the way they did previously on other clubs. My point is that your not getting the full value for 'tough guys' in Pittsburgh because the coach is committed to such a structured trap. Not that I'm bashing MT, I'm not, but my knock on him has always been his so called "system" (aka TRAP) does not take into account the talent of guys like Crosby and Malkin. That's the theory behind the trap; its just as effective when you have an entire lineup of 3rd liners (or AHL'ers for that matter). I think fans (myself included) have waited a long time to see the talent this team has been able to compile and a high energy, open style of play would be more appropriate (and entertaining) considering the talent we have. That is not Therrien's game though, he doesn't know it and he doesn't teach it.

Everyone thought when we signed Godard, he would be running all over the ice destroying everything that moves, namely because Laraque didn't. We will never see anything of the sort, not as long as Therrien is behind the bench.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:13 am

How could you knock a system that enabled the Pens to coast through the Eastern Conference playoffs last spring?
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shane613 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:28 am

i'm sure they were messing around, people are wayyyy over-reacting!
shane613
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:35 am

NJ5934 wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:
The issue is Therrien. Shero obviously saw the need for guys like Ruutu, Laraque and Roberts (I think its in Shero's blood). You can have 10 tough guys, but if the coach insists they go out and trap, there isn't going to be too much room for hitting.

[\quote]

Ruutu and BGL wanted alot of money for 3rd and 4th line role players, and you are going to throw MT under the bus for letting those guys go?

No, your missing my point. I don't think Ruutu and Laraque had the liberty to play their game the way they did previously on other clubs. My point is that your not getting the full value for 'tough guys' in Pittsburgh because the coach is committed to such a structured trap. Not that I'm bashing MT, I'm not, but my knock on him has always been his so called "system" (aka TRAP) does not take into account the talent of guys like Crosby and Malkin. That's the theory behind the trap; its just as effective when you have an entire lineup of 3rd liners (or AHL'ers for that matter). I think fans (myself included) have waited a long time to see the talent this team has been able to compile and a high energy, open style of play would be more appropriate (and entertaining) considering the talent we have. That is not Therrien's game though, he doesn't know it and he doesn't teach it.

Everyone thought when we signed Godard, he would be running all over the ice destroying everything that moves, namely because Laraque didn't. We will never see anything of the sort, not as long as Therrien is behind the bench.

NJ, nice post. I agree with you. I have been saying for years that the pens have to work way to hard to generate offensive chances. With the 2 of the 3 best players in the game, the pens should not have to work so hard to generate a shot on goal. I agree that I do not love the system either.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:57 am

Um, the system has NOTHING to do with the Penguins lack of ability to shoot the puck. When you cut into the lane on a 3-2 that was generated BY the system, and you bypass a quality shooting opportunity for a fancy pass, that's making hard on yourself, not the system making it hard on you.

This system is designed for a team that has good depth at center and good talent at center. Michel Therrien utilizes the Penguins best assets in order to generate turnovers and create odd-man rushes, which in turn generate PP chances.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:11 pm

Jesse wrote:When you cut into the lane on a 3-2 that was generated BY the system, and you bypass a quality shooting opportunity for a fancy pass, that's making hard on yourself, not the system making it hard on you.

when jesse's dogging letang, you know he's speaking the truth.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocky133213 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:16 pm

1. This team has very high expectations (both internally and externally) coming off the trip to the finals last year.
2. For one reason or another (Injury or trade), there are alot of significant pieces missing from last year's team.
3. Satan & Fedetenko are still finding their footing with this team, and vice versa.
4. The best players on the team outside of #29 are offensive players, and scoring thus far has been a problem.

How could there not be an incredibly high level of frustration in that locker room? I think this is a real test for Sid as the captain of this team to get the ship righted and get everyone on the same page. The fight in practice will only be a problem if the he and the rest of the team's leadership lets it be a problem.

A big win tonight would go a long way. As long as Fleury keeps playing the way he has so far, he'll give this team a chance to play their way back to normal. I'm optimistic that we'll be just fine.
Rocky133213
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby NJ5934 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:53 pm

Jesse wrote:Um, the system has NOTHING to do with the Penguins lack of ability to shoot the puck. When you cut into the lane on a 3-2 that was generated BY the system, and you bypass a quality shooting opportunity for a fancy pass, that's making hard on yourself, not the system making it hard on you.

This system is designed for a team that has good depth at center and good talent at center. Michel Therrien utilizes the Penguins best assets in order to generate turnovers and create odd-man rushes, which in turn generate PP chances.

Jesse, I couldn't disagree more. Therrien has implemented the same system he did in WBS, which is basically the same system he previously tought in Montreal. Crosby and Malkin have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Since Therrien, the Penguins have consistently relied on the PP and the occassional even strength goal to build a lead and then defend it for two periods. Even strength goals were almost non-existent the second half of last season until Hossa jump started Crosby's line. I'm not saying the TRAP does not work, it does. I'm not disputing the success of the team last season, I just think the Penguins (and fans) would be better suited for a more open style of play, namely because of the talent on the top two lines. The organization is promoting this team to be the second coming the Lemieux led early/mid 90's teams, yet nothing could be further from the truth. Therrien is defence first all the way.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:03 pm

NJ5934 wrote:
Jesse wrote:Um, the system has NOTHING to do with the Penguins lack of ability to shoot the puck. When you cut into the lane on a 3-2 that was generated BY the system, and you bypass a quality shooting opportunity for a fancy pass, that's making hard on yourself, not the system making it hard on you.

Jesse, I couldn't disagree more. Therrien has implemented the same system he did in WBS, which is basically the same system he previously tought in Montreal. Crosby and Malkin have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Since Therrien, the Penguins have consistently relied on the PP and the occassional even strength goal to build a lead and then defend it for two periods. Even strength goals were almost non-existent the second half of last season until Hossa jump started Crosby's line. I'm not saying the TRAP does not work, it does. I'm not disputing the success of the team last season, I just think the Penguins (and fans) would be better suited for a more open style of play, namely because of the talent on the top two lines. The organization is promoting this team to be the second coming the Lemieux led early/mid 90's teams, yet nothing could be further from the truth. Therrien is defence first all the way.

NJ: I agree again. To me this is all system...You are spot on about even strength scoring vs. power play scoring/chances.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby André on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:18 am

PittsburghJoe wrote:
emptyfriend wrote:Somebody's gonna take a run at Sid or Geno tonight and then you'll all be wishing that BGL was there to "politely" ask for a fight.......No one is scared of Godard.....

oooo.. maybe Laraque can slide pads first into their goalie like he did that one time last year.

At band camp?
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:41 am

emptyfriend wrote:Somebody's gonna take a run at Sid or Geno tonight and then you'll all be wishing that BGL was there to "politely" ask for a fight.......No one is scared of Godard.....

cote's face might disagree with this opinion next go around. :lol:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jasmine on Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:54 pm

Godard takes Cote out of the game and Letang plays great . . . almost had the game winner in OT.
This is why Errey said people could learn from physical practices. Guys who have played - AND WON THE CUP - just might know more than some of us.
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Free Candy on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:02 pm

Release Godard and bring back Samuelson. I hear he is in the best shape of his life
Free Candy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Tinker on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:23 pm

yep, tempers flare when emotions are high. My brother and I got in a scrap with each other on the little lawn at the Doubletree after game 4 of the SCF. Totally a case of emotions being at their peak, and the best way to let them vent is to go at it. We didn't throw any punches, just wrestled, then a bunch of folks told us to break it up. Probably a pretty funny sight, in hindsight.

My guess is Tang & Godard just got their ire up a bit.
Tinker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby gregor on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:10 am

LeTang has picked up his physical game of late. I've noticed him making a few big hits in the last few games.

'tanger is not "soff"
gregor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pekkasteele on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:18 am

Fighting in practise is not that bad, not that uncommon either, off course, it depends on why there was a fight, but only a couple of weeks ago the newspapers here in Sweden wrote about a fight between 2 players in Skelefteå, but afterwards the 2 players just laughed and are good friends.

It doesn't have to bee to serious.
pekkasteele
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins