Gaborik Trade Rumor

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Gaborik Trade Rumor

Postby WWGRD on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:56 pm

Okay, back in January I was the first to post the thread titled "Hossa Trade Rumor" - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20062&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

And it happened.

So, since I want the Pens to get Gaborik - here it is.

Staal, Sydor for Gaborik?

WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Gaborik Trade Rumor

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:58 pm

Ok.

It's not happening.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby WWGRD on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:59 pm

Everyone said the Hossa trade wouldn't happen either.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:59 pm

Reading through that thread....What happened to crzymike? I liked him...=)
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bill from turtle creek on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:01 pm

Why would anybody with a brain think we can afford Gaborik? He just turned down, what, $8million/yr? And please, no stupidity about him being willing to take less to play with Sid and Geno. I think it's been well-proven that this is a fallacy.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby WWGRD on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:03 pm

Do you think this could happen-

Gaborik finishes the year in Minnesota and becomes a free agent

Satan, Fedotenko, Gill, and Sydor also become FA's and we have a good deal of money

Sign Gaborik? I still think we need to ship Staal out, he will be overpaid next year IMO
Last edited by WWGRD on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:03 pm

Pens "could" get Gaborik...If they offered Hossa $7.2MM for 7 years, then they have the capital available to secure a top notch winger...

I don't think that Shero would trade for Gaborik without getting an extension in place first though...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:07 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:Why would anybody with a brain think we can afford Gaborik? He just turned down, what, $8million/yr? And please, no stupidity about him being willing to take less to play with Sid and Geno. I think it's been well-proven that this is a fallacy.

i don''t think it's going to happen, but shero was close on a deal with hossa apparently. hossa and gaborik will make about the same next year.

shero would have ditched orpik to make room for hossa and would have kept staal. in this case, staal (likely the more expensive player) would be ditched and orpik would be kept. so gaborik could make 8-9 million and it would still fit into the budget shero crafted right before hossa went wacky.

but it still ain't happnin
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:07 pm

Here is a thought on all the Gaborik rumors. If you've made in clear you want to leave the TRAP to play in an open offensive minded system, why on earth would you want to come to Pittsburgh. Therrien's system isn't much different than Minnesota's.

Its amazing how far some of this Eklund stuff goes.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:09 pm

WWGRD wrote:Everyone said the Hossa trade wouldn't happen either.

That was before we found out how much we had to give up to get top notch elite winger. I don't understand why people think we can continue to give up young talent and 1st rounders every year to get a high profile player. It's just unreasonable. And the only way I would even consider doing this trade is if Gaborik doesn't get hurt as often as he as already and if he signed an extension. Even then, I think you are still giving up way too much untapped potential in Jordan Staal.
Last edited by Why So Serious? on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:09 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:Why would anybody with a brain think we can afford Gaborik? He just turned down, what, $8million/yr? And please, no stupidity about him being willing to take less to play with Sid and Geno. I think it's been well-proven that this is a fallacy.

who would have thought Hossa would have taken a 1 year deal? nobody other than Gaborik knows what he is willing to play for next season
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:09 pm

NJ5934 wrote:Here is a thought on all the Gaborik rumors. If you've made in clear you want to leave the TRAP to play in an open offensive minded system, why on earth would you want to come to Pittsburgh. Therrien's system isn't much different than Minnesota's.

pens were 7th in the league in goals last year. minnesota was like 15th. kinda different.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WWGRD on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:10 pm

Marian Gaborik scores goals, Jordan Staal doesn't.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wallflower on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:13 pm

Shero should trade Crosby - he doesn't score goals. :roll:

It's four games into the season but the ridiculousness never ends.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:14 pm

WWGRD wrote:Marian Gaborik scores goals, Jordan Staal doesn't.

Jordan Staal is going to be a beast when he hits 25-26. I mean you're giving up on a player who's nowhere near his potential, 20 years old, 6'5", and a 29 goal scorer in the NHL. It just does not make any sense. Especially if you are going to be forced to let Malkin or Gaborik go, down the line because of the cap. And it's not out of the realm of possibility that we have Crosby, Malkin, and Staal for a long time.

Crosby/Malkin/Staal >>>>>> Crosby/Gaborik
Crosby/Malkin/Staal >>>>>> Crosby/Malkin
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:14 pm

Staal, Goligoski for Gaborik with extension of 7 years $50MM

Thoughts?
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby WWGRD on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:16 pm

Are you sure we can afford Crosby, Malkin, and Staal and still be able to sign decent players?
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:19 pm

WWGRD wrote:Are you sure we can afford Crosby, Malkin, and Staal and still be able to sign decent players?

Yes I do. Because as evident from previous seasons, 87 and 71 don't need top-flight wingers to be great. They make mediocre players look like stars. And here is the scary thing, they are doing this between the ages 20-22. They are only going to get better. And do we really need another cap-hogging star on this team when you already have two of the best in the world centering your top 2 lines? Think about that.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:19 pm

shmenguin wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:Here is a thought on all the Gaborik rumors. If you've made in clear you want to leave the TRAP to play in an open offensive minded system, why on earth would you want to come to Pittsburgh. Therrien's system isn't much different than Minnesota's.

pens were 7th in the league in goals last year. minnesota was like 15th. kinda different.

The Penguins have far more offensive talent, but they do TRAP.

I don't think Gaborik wants to play on a team that scores more goals, I think he want to play on a team where his offensive ability is not restrained under a defensive minded system. If Gaborik is unhappy, he would not be any happier playing for M. Therrien.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:20 pm

KG wrote:Staal, Goligoski for Gaborik with extension of 7 years $50MM

Thoughts?

no way GOGO is in there Staal and that is all with that extension
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:21 pm

Every GM and coach around the NHL dreams about having two top flight elite players like Sid and Gino to center the top two lines and here we are as Pens fans, not even happy about that. We just keep wanting more, whereas other teams' fans would be perfectly content having Sid and Geno. Oh yea, not to mention, we got a rising elite goaltender in the making as well whose only 23.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:23 pm

pens#1 wrote:
KG wrote:Staal, Goligoski for Gaborik with extension of 7 years $50MM

Thoughts?

no way GOGO is in there Staal and that is all with that extension

yeah. minnesota doesn't have THAT much leverage. the guy is leaving in july right? even getting just staal is a very lopsided trade in their favor .
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bill from turtle creek on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:23 pm

KG wrote:Pens "could" get Gaborik...If they offered Hossa $7.2MM for 7 years, then they have the capital available to secure a top notch winger...

I don't think that Shero would trade for Gaborik without getting an extension in place first though...

Sure, pay him that, and then replace all of our other free agents with guys making the minimum. That will surely bring home the Cup. We don't need Gill or Sykora or Talbot or a backup goalie or etc etc etc.

I'd rather hope that Caputi develops, or that Staal turns into a big scorer. That's a more reasonable approach.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:26 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:
KG wrote:Pens "could" get Gaborik...If they offered Hossa $7.2MM for 7 years, then they have the capital available to secure a top notch winger...

Sure, pay him that, and then replace all of our other free agents with guys making the minimum. That will surely bring home the Cup. We don't need Gill or Sykora or Talbot or a backup goalie or etc etc etc.

But..but... but... you're missing the point. It's Marian Gaborik. He can play all 6 positions on the ice by himself. I mean, we should just trade the whole team to Minnesota for him.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:28 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:

I'd rather hope that Caputi develops, or that Staal turns into a big scorer. That's a more reasonable approach.

If that was really the case, I don't think Shero would have offered Hossa a 7 years $7.2MM per year contract offer...

I am not saying that Gaborik is smartest move to make...I think Shero should make a good hockey trade and dangle a Staal for an already established, younger goal scoring winger who is locked up...Easier said then done though...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins