Gaborik Trade Rumor

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Gaborik Trade Rumor

Postby Matthew Monstar on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:30 pm

Another MARIAN is the answer to our problems. Dont you guys understand this?

NEED MORE MARIAN.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:30 pm

I've only skimmed the conversation...but the hypothetical was $7.2 million...$8.5 million comes off the books alone from Satan, Fedotenko and Sydor next year...so, it's not really a matter cap space...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens#1 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:31 pm

i dont think anyone wants the Pens to give up everything to get Gaborik, I think everyone wants to maxamize Crosbys talents by giving him a winger that can score (which as of now isnt Staal)
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:32 pm

KG wrote:
bill from turtle creek wrote:
KG wrote:Pens "could" get Gaborik...If they offered Hossa $7.2MM for 7 years, then they have the capital available to secure a top notch winger...

I don't think that Shero would trade for Gaborik without getting an extension in place first though...

Sure, pay him that, and then replace all of our other free agents with guys making the minimum. That will surely bring home the Cup. We don't need Gill or Sykora or Talbot or a backup goalie or etc etc etc.

I'd rather hope that Caputi develops, or that Staal turns into a big scorer. That's a more reasonable approach.

If that was really the case, I don't think Shero would have offered Hossa a 7 years $7.2MM per year contract offer...

I am not saying that Gaborik is smartest move to make...I think Shero should make a good hockey trade and dangle a Staal for an already established, younger goal scoring winger who is locked up...Easier said then done though...

Once again. That makes no sense. It is going to force us to trade Malkin or Gaborik down the line. Hey, I have an alternative approach.

How about we re-sign Jordan Staal for 4-5 years. And see how he does in that span, instead of dumping him at the age of 20. Gaborik may be proven and established, but Jordan is going to get there. He has a lot of untapped potential and you don't just trade something away like that. Especially at that age.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:35 pm

Then it comes down to how much are you giving Staal on a 4-5 year deal? $4-5 mill per?

For what he has done to date, that is not a smart investment either...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:35 pm

pens#1 wrote:i dont think anyone wants the Pens to give up everything to get Gaborik, I think everyone wants to maxamize Crosbys talents by giving him a winger that can score (which as of now isnt Staal)

But you're not understanding my point. I am saying that Crosby doesn't need a Marian Gaborik to be good. Once he and Satan gel down a little bit, they are going to be fine. I mean, at the age of 18, the kid got 102 points with Andy Hilbert, Colby Armstrong, and Mark Recchi on his wings. You're just going to have to be more patient and give this team more than just four games.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wallflower on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:36 pm

I'll be sure to LOL when Shero comes out and says he's not trading Staal, much like he did with Whitney last year when everyone and their brother was trying to get rid of him.

Staal is not Colby Armstrong & Erik Christensen.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:37 pm

KG wrote:Then it comes down to how much are you giving Staal on a 4-5 year deal? $4-5 mill per?

For what he has done to date, that is not a smart investment either...

I think somewhere between 3-4 mil is not a bad move for either side.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:38 pm

wallflower wrote:I'll be sure to LOL when Shero comes out and says he's not trading Staal, much like he did with Whitney last year when everyone and their brother was trying to get rid of him.

I don't think that Shero will move him during the year either..But I will be curious to see what Staal's contract demands will be...

Max Talbot has a better offensive game then Staal does at this point...

Patrick O'Sullivan just signed a long term deal with a cap hit of $2.9MM per year....Staal has not produced to the level of O'Sullivan yet, but Staal will get a much bigger deal I predict...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:39 pm

wallflower wrote:I'll be sure to LOL when Shero comes out and says he's not trading Staal, much like he did with Whitney last year when everyone and their brother was trying to get rid of him.

He has already said numerous times that Staal isn't going anywhere. And you're exactly right when you say Staal isn't Army and EC. There are about 400 Army and ECs in the NHL. Once Jordan Staal reaches his prime and potential, he is going to be a dominant driving force. That is when people will regret ever even bringing up these terrible trade rumors.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:40 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:
pens#1 wrote:i dont think anyone wants the Pens to give up everything to get Gaborik, I think everyone wants to maxamize Crosbys talents by giving him a winger that can score (which as of now isnt Staal)

But you're not understanding my point. I am saying that Crosby doesn't need a Marian Gaborik to be good. Once he and Satan gel down a little bit, they are going to be fine. I mean, at the age of 18, the kid got 102 points with Andy Hilbert, Colby Armstrong, and Mark Recchi on his wings. You're just going to have to be more patient and give this team more than just four games.

you have a great point - but just imagine if he had a winger with real talent
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:40 pm

That must be Staal for Gaborik, and Sydor for the cap room to have him play here. Maybe we should trade Malkin for Alexei Yashin circa 2004, too.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:42 pm

pens#1 wrote:
Why So Serious? wrote:

you have a great point - but just imagine if he had a winger with real talent

I realize that. But I'm much much more interested in having a balanced team rather than a team with three offensive superstars. Having Gaborik, Malkin, and Crosby on the same team means you are going to be losing A LOT in different areas of the game. That's not going to win you the Cup.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:44 pm

Why so serious...One could easily make the argument that when Staal fully realizes his potential he will not be anywhere near the type of offensive player Gaborik is...

Everyone keeps saying how young Staal is...Gaborik is only 26!
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mosby on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:45 pm

mikey287 wrote:I've only skimmed the conversation...but the hypothetical was $7.2 million...$8.5 million comes off the books alone from Satan, Fedotenko and Sydor next year...so, it's not really a matter cap space...

But Malkin's new contract kicks in....

Sykora will need a new contract....

Talbot will need a new contract....
Mosby
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:45 pm

but if Staal is that good wont he command $$$$$? by the time he is ready Crosby and Malkin will be coming to end of their deals- Lemieux made it know last season with the Hossa trade that he wants to win NOW. not in 3-4 years
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:49 pm

KG wrote:Why so serious...One could easily make the argument that when Staal fully realizes his potential he will not be anywhere near the type of offensive player Gaborik is...

Everyone keeps saying how young Staal is...Gaborik is only 26!

Maybe, maybe not. But just remember that he's playing behind Crosby and Malkin. That may keep Staal's production low. But that won't determine how dominant he could be. Just wait til he fills out the rest of his 6.5 frame. On the other hand, Gaborik is/was always the main guy in Minnesota.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:54 pm

pens#1 wrote:but if Staal is that good wont he command $$$$$? by the time he is ready Crosby and Malkin will be coming to end of their deals- Lemieux made it know last season with the Hossa trade that he wants to win NOW. not in 3-4 years

I'm much more willing to pay a 20 year old with loads of untapped potential 3-5 mil/season than an injury prone player 7-8 mil/season.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:54 pm

If the Pens could get Gaborik and extension for Staal. It has to be done...

It is only a $4MM net increase most likely in overal cap hit, because of Staal's increase coming...

Assume Staal get's $4MM and Gaborik gets $8MM...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby holeinone on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:58 pm

Why do you always have to strap yourself with overpaid players. These guys for the most part tank it when they get the big money in free agency. Look at Malone in Tampa. Like blutarski's grade in animal house. Zero point zero. Develop players and let those top end idiots stink up the joint somewhere else.
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wallflower on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:00 pm

KG wrote:If the Pens could get Gaborik and extension for Staal. It has to be done...

It is only a $4MM net increase most likely in overal cap hit, because of Staal's increase coming...

Assume Staal get's $4MM and Gaborik gets $8MM...

Okay. So which players are you planning to let go to stay under the cap & who will you replace them with?
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:01 pm

holeinone wrote:Why do you always have to strap yourself with overpaid players. These guys for the most part tank it when they get the big money in free agency. Look at Malone in Tampa. Like blutarski's grade in animal house. Zero point zero. Develop players and let those top end idiots stink up the joint somewhere else.

Honestly. I think Bill from Turtle Creek said it perfectly. Hope that Caputi develops into that 1st line winger and sign Staal to an extension. I would much rather build a team from within the system then overpay for injury-prone players like Gaborik.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:10 pm

that thread is awesome.

especially my sweet "Kajmak in marmelada" reference.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:15 pm

I think "IF" Shero is going to make another effort to get a winger for Crosby, it would likely be Kovalchuk rather than Gaborik. Kovalchuk is a $6.4m cap hit and is locked up until the end of the 10' season. It gives negotiating time to lock him up long term or to make that determination to see if he's a fit here. Also, as a LW, it gets rid of Dupuis on Crosby's line and allows for someone in the realm of Satan/Sykora/Kennedy to play on the RW.

If everyone remember, Hossa stunk it up on Crosby's line for quite sometime until he started to click in the playoffs. While I really came to appreciate Hossa's game, I'm not sure he's the most productive type of winger to play on Crosby's line. I think Kovalchuk or Gaborik would be premier players for Crosby. They are snipers first and foremost and that is their strength rather than being a dangler with the puck that is a great backchecker/forechecker.

Also, it may depend on who is looking at making the playoffs or not to see who is available.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby K2 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:16 pm

Minnesota is sure to want Staal plus a combination of Goligoski, Letang, Caputi and Curry, maybe even guys like Talbot or Kennedy. Gabby would be nice, but if it means mortgaging our future, then if I'm Shero, I say "no thanks" and sign some cheaper winger(s) like a Gionta or a Kotalik
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins