Gaborik Trade Rumor

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Gaborik Trade Rumor

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:16 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:
holeinone wrote:Why do you always have to strap yourself with overpaid players. These guys for the most part tank it when they get the big money in free agency. Look at Malone in Tampa. Like blutarski's grade in animal house. Zero point zero. Develop players and let those top end idiots stink up the joint somewhere else.

Honestly. I think Bill from Turtle Creek said it perfectly. Hope that Caputi develops into that 1st line winger and sign Staal to an extension. I would much rather build a team from within the system then overpay for injury-prone players like Gaborik.

Agreed. This would be the best and most economical plan to go with. I still wish we wouldn't have traded Carcillo for BGL. I'd rather have traded a #3 or so pick for BGL instead.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby holeinone on Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:18 am

You can only have so many overpaid players. I mean they are all overpaid so you can only have so many of them. Then you have to work from within and build a team. I say forget the overpaid free agents. They become fat cats and just don't produce. Get the hungry young players that you draft and throw them in the fire and let them learn. Forget Gaborik, let some other team overpay for him. He is always hurt anyway. who needs him with a track record like that.
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:23 am

Overpay.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:34 am

Shero won't make any deal for Gabo there's just too many "What Ifs" if he did it could turn out to be Hossa Part 2 all over again. He's buddies with Hossa who's not to say he does the same thing as Hossa?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby André on Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:30 am

Why So Serious? wrote:
WWGRD wrote:Marian Gaborik scores goals, Jordan Staal doesn't.

Jordan Staal is going to be a beast when he hits 25-26. I mean you're giving up on a player who's nowhere near his potential, 20 years old, 6'5", and a 29 goal scorer in the NHL. It just does not make any sense. Especially if you are going to be forced to let Malkin or Gaborik go, down the line because of the cap. And it's not out of the realm of possibility that we have Crosby, Malkin, and Staal for a long time.

Crosby/Malkin/Staal >>>>>> Crosby/Gaborik
Crosby/Malkin/Staal >>>>>> Crosby/Malkin

Crosby/Malkin/Gaborik >>>>>>Crosby/Malkin/Staal

If there's room. Which there might actually be. Well kind of :P
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:31 am

I think the whole money for hossa/gaborik thing went out the window when Orpik was signed. They would have let him go if they signed Hossa, which was part of the reason I wanted them to let him walk.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:15 am

I would like to see Gabo in Pens jersey,but even if we dont re-sign Satan,Fedo and Sydor next year i dont think we have enough cap room to do it,with Staal re-signing. BUt i wouldnt trade Staal anyway, i rather trade Whitney.. We have Letang and Gogo for offense for next 10 years..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Doogs on Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:18 am

I know I am probably in the minority here but I still want to get Hossa back in the Ole' Number 18. Ain't gonna happen, but dare to dream. Gaborik would be nice as a secondary choice, from the other thread Frolov wouldn't suck.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sdm5055 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:39 am

My thought on this thread..

why do people always get bent out of shape when someone proposes a trade or pick up idea?? i understand that you can debate back and forth about if its good or bad for the team but god forbid someone says trade a beloved Pen.

I also don't buy the "wait till Staal develops in 4-5 yrs" what if he doesn't want to sign a long term contract here?

And the he is only 20.. ok the people that get on here and say he is 20yrs wait till he is in his prime are the same that will say Gaborik is to old at 26! doesn't make much sense

Gaborik is injury prone and Marian Hossa was a playoff choker.... right?? or wait.....

I don't know if the pens do this trade or not or any big trade but Shero and the pens aren't going to do something that straps them horribly down the road wether that is not do a big trade or not sign Staal to a long term contract or sign Staal
sdm5055
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:49 am

sdm5055 wrote:My thought on this thread..

why do people always get bent out of shape when someone proposes a trade or pick up idea?? i understand that you can debate back and forth about if its good or bad for the team but god forbid someone says trade a beloved Pen.

I also don't buy the "wait till Staal develops in 4-5 yrs" what if he doesn't want to sign a long term contract here?

And the he is only 20.. ok the people that get on here and say he is 20yrs wait till he is in his prime are the same that will say Gaborik is to old at 26! doesn't make much sense

Gaborik is injury prone and Marian Hossa was a playoff choker.... right?? or wait.....

I don't know if the pens do this trade or not or any big trade but Shero and the pens aren't going to do something that straps them horribly down the road wether that is not do a big trade or not sign Staal to a long term contract or sign Staal

Nice post...I particularly agree with the bolded part...With the salary cap era there is a ton of player turnover. What the elite teams have to do is identify their core and lock it up long term...I am not sure if Staal has done enough to warrant that long term commitment yet...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:53 am

WWGRD wrote:Everyone said the Hossa trade wouldn't happen either.

The Hossa trade was the perfect storm. We had some players/prospects to give up. Crosby and Malkin's contracts weren't kicked it yet (Malkin's still isn't). Same with Fluery and Orpik's new contract.

I'm not saying it is impossible, and I will admit I didn't think we'd get Hossa for what we got him for, but this trade is a lot slimmer than Hossa.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:54 am

It's a good post, but I think the big issue is money and the cap.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:56 am

If the Pens are serious about picking up a Gaborik...Staal will have to go the other way. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Letang involved also. If they don't move Letang, I would not be surprised if they attempt to move Gonchar or Whitney during the off-season.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nizzy on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:59 am

Lets say we do this Gaborik trade, and win the Stanley Cup. Lets say HE DOES not resign with the team. We lost Staal, maybe a young defensive prospect, maybe Caputi, etc..

Our team is built to be good for the next 5-6 years. If we make this trade maybe might drop us from a great team for 5-6 to just an 'ok' team with 2 mega stars.

Personally I'd rather be a cup contender for the next 5-6 years, then put all the money into one year. If we keep making the huge deadline deals for HOSSAS and GABORIKS every year then our team depth will drop greatly, we will lose a lot of future talent. It will HURT are team in the long run.

I personally don't want a cheap cup. A cup is a cup, don't get me wrong, however I want the joy of possibly winning the cup every year for the next 5-6+ years. It won't be there if we trade for Gaborik and lose more Espositos, Caputis, First round draft picks, STAAL, Gogo/Letang, etc.

Can we just say no? :)
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sdm5055 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:00 am

newarenanow wrote:

I don't know if the pens do this trade or not or any big trade but Shero and the pens aren't going to do something that straps them horribly down the road whether that is not do a big trade or not sign Staal to a long term contract or sign Staal

It's a good post, but I think the big issue is money and the cap.

your absolutely right.. I am not advocating for either thing in my post... that is a good arguement the cap and salary issue.. I was alluding to how a lot of people argue just because it is a penguin they really really like sometimes a lot of people wear some dark black and gold glasses... but I am not saying that the Gaborik trade or any trade would work out or be good..

thats why I said I think the Pens and Shero will do the right thing for the team and its salary cap future

i was just getting some stuff off my chest NAN gosh! leave me alone! :lol:
sdm5055
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sdm5055 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:04 am

Nizzy wrote:Lets say we do this Gaborik trade, and win the Stanley Cup. Lets say HE DOES not resign with the team. We lost Staal, maybe a young defensive prospect, maybe Caputi, etc..

Our team is built to be good for the next 5-6 years. If we make this trade maybe might drop us from a great team for 5-6 to just an 'ok' team with 2 mega stars.

Personally I'd rather be a cup contender for the next 5-6 years, then put all the money into one year. If we keep making the huge deadline deals for HOSSAS and GABORIKS every year then our team depth will drop greatly, we will lose a lot of future talent. It will HURT are team in the long run.

I personally don't want a cheap cup. A cup is a cup, don't get me wrong, however I want the joy of possibly winning the cup every year for the next 5-6+ years. It won't be there if we trade for Gaborik and lose more Espositos, Caputis, First round draft picks, STAAL, Gogo/Letang, etc.

this is a good point... but lets use your hypothetical scenario and we win the cup this year and it all goes like you said

and the other side we get to the stanley cup finals or conference finals for 5 years straight but never win...

which would you rather want? 1 cup in 6 years or buffalo bills for 6 years??

just playing the devils advocate in this thread btw
sdm5055
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:25 am

Nizzy wrote:Lets say we do this Gaborik trade, and win the Stanley Cup. Lets say HE DOES not resign with the team. We lost Staal, maybe a young defensive prospect, maybe Caputi, etc..

I can guarantee you that after the Hossa back-stab, Shero will not pull another biggie unless the guy signs an extension on the day of the trade.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens#1 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:38 am

Pitts wrote:

I can guarantee you that after the Hossa back-stab, Shero will not pull another biggie unless the guy signs an extension on the day of the trade.

i think everyone can agree on that
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Doogs on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:03 am

I want to state BEFORE posting, I the MOST players in the NHL care little about perception of fans, and citys' and all things about reputation etc.

But, how HUGE of a following would Gaborik earn/get IF (and I say IF) he would be traded here and signed immediately long term. I am not saying a following because he skates fast or is a sniper, and all that, but just because of the Hossa thing and a top line winger opted to stay with Sid on a line.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:01 pm

Gee, here's a shocker.

Michael Russo wrote:Marian Gaborik is out tonight with what the team is calling a “lower body” injury.

And to think there are folks out there that think the Pens should trade for this guy AND pay him $8 mil a year :roll: .

EDIT: Oh, wait. Maybe he's not hurt and a trade to the Pens is imminent :roll: :roll: .
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:26 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:EDIT: Oh, wait. Maybe he's not hurt and a trade to the Pens is imminent :roll: :roll: .

BINGO BANGO BOINGO! This!!!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:30 pm

"Gaborik was nowhere to be found this morning and I did not see him getting treatment, but he could have been there and I just didn’t see him. I did look.

Doug Risebrough swears he’s injured and is not being held out for any ulterior reasons, like I’m sure you’re speculating on."

Anybody know for sure if Staal is playing tonight for the Pens? ;)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:43 pm

Pitts wrote:"Gaborik was nowhere to be found this morning and I did not see him getting treatment, but he could have been there and I just didn’t see him. I did look.

Doug Risebrough swears he’s injured and is not being held out for any ulterior reasons, like I’m sure you’re speculating on."

Anybody know for sure if Staal is playing tonight for the Pens? ;)

He'll be wearing a Pens uniform. Whether or not he'll actually be playing (as opposed to skating aimlessly and blowing scoring chances) is anyone's guess.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:51 pm

Staal is going to score two goals and have an assist tonight. There I said it.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:54 pm

newarenanow wrote:Staal is going to score two goals and have an assist tonight. There I said it.

Is Carolina or NYR playing tonight?

:pop:
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins